Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Not trying to lose weight - trying to starve bad bugs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807833-not-trying-lose-weight-trying-starve-bad-bugs.html)

dink 07-11-2013 02:39 PM

Not trying to lose weight - trying to starve bad bugs
 
Greetings. I am doing low carb to starve out the 'too many' bad microbes in my gut. (verified by several tests such as MOAT and CDSA)

Anyway, I am already thin so I don't want/need to lose any weight. How can I go low carb, keep it healthy, and not lose weight? And not be so tired, like I am right now after 3 days of LC?

Thanks for any advice!

clackley 07-11-2013 04:36 PM

In order to keep from losing weight, keep your fat intake up and to avoid feeling tired, try some full sodium chicken broth (2 cups ). Low carb is healthy so no,worries there!

Jackie123 07-11-2013 04:41 PM

How low is low carb for you? Aside from that, I'm thinking just eat enough calories to maintain your weight- if you are already thin, you're body is going to resist losing weight if you eat enough food. As far as feeling weak, your body is getting used to the change in diet. It's called induction flu, and it lasts a few days to a week usually.

Aleina 07-11-2013 06:03 PM

I looked at gut balance too.Still looking actually. The tiredness should soon go ,it is normal if you are eating at ketosis inducing levels. However, killing off the overpopulation of bad microbes or excessive good ones can have the same effect. Re not losing weight all the advice I can give you is to keep your fat levels high but know the critters you are trying to deal with so that whatever you increase does not interfere with your detox. Good luck.

dink 07-12-2013 02:41 AM

Greetings! Thanks for the reply. I tried the broth (can't do canned due to glutamate sensitivity). It did help. Does it help to get in to low carb gradually? ie, gradually reducing carb intake over the course of a week or two?

dink 07-12-2013 02:45 AM

Not really counting carbs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie123 (Post 16510760)
How low is low carb for you? Aside from that, I'm thinking just eat enough calories to maintain your weight- if you are already thin, you're body is going to resist losing weight if you eat enough food. As far as feeling weak, your body is getting used to the change in diet. It's called induction flu, and it lasts a few days to a week usually.


I am not really counting carbs as I am not trying to lose weight. I am trying the basic principle behind the SCD diet - except they allow fruit and honey and despite their expertise, I believe that those carbs contribute to my condition too. So I am just going strictly low carb for a while and then gradually introduce 'legal' items such as certain fruits and see what happens.

I am eating non starchy vegetables which will contain some carbs.

dink 07-12-2013 02:47 AM

Thanks.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16510751)
In order to keep from losing weight, keep your fat intake up and to avoid feeling tired, try some full sodium chicken broth (2 cups ). Low carb is healthy so no,worries there!

Thanks for the tip. I tried the broth and it did help.

emel 07-12-2013 03:17 AM

Have you seen the candida forum here? It's on the Health Support section.
Candida and Yeast - Low Carb Friends

Spanilingo 07-12-2013 04:18 AM

I gradually eased myself into liw carb so never had any of those induction flu issues. Even dr Atkins suggests eating more veggies if you feel bad during induction. Then ease yourself to less than 20 grams . BTW, even though you are not looking to lose weight, if you choose to go on a vlc diet (even at a high enough fat and calorie ) don't be alarmed if you initially lose a few pounds of water weight as vlc is diuretic. That's normal but will not not be significant at a low weight

Chocolate Rose 07-12-2013 09:11 AM

OH, My GOSH, every time I see the title of this thread I think it's about starving BED bugs. Glad to know it's not...:lol:

MissBeeps 07-12-2013 11:42 AM

I recommend drinking real bone broth, not bouillon or canned/ boxed stock. If you're unfamilliar with the GAPS diet (a gut healing protocol,) some Googling will fill you in on the benefits of real bone broth. The fake stuff won't help you in any way other than the salt and it's full of additives.

If you don't want to lose weight, don't eat at a calorie defecit. While eating low carb certainly opens the pathway to losing fat stores, you still have to need to dip into those reserves to lose it. If you don't eat at a defecit your body will not need to go looking for other fuel. Logging your food is a great way to keep an eye on calories as well as making sure you're hitting all of your macros.

emel 07-12-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBeeps (Post 16512090)
I recommend drinking real bone broth, not bouillon or canned/ boxed stock. If you're unfamilliar with the GAPS diet (a gut healing protocol,) some Googling will fill you in on the benefits of real bone broth. The fake stuff won't help you in any way other than the salt and it's full of additives.

If you don't want to lose weight, don't eat at a calorie defecit. While eating low carb certainly opens the pathway to losing fat stores, you still have to need to dip into those reserves to lose it. If you don't eat at a defecit your body will not need to go looking for other fuel. Logging your food is a great way to keep an eye on calories as well as making sure you're hitting all of your macros.

I agree that homemade bone broth is the best, but some folks don't have the time to do it (but you can do it in the crockpot, starting it when you get home from work one day and taking it off when you return from work the next day). DOn't skimp on the salt and toss a couple tbl vinegar in there to help leech out the minerals from the bones. Add celery/onion scraps. maybe a little thyme and garlic. Easy peasy.

Anyway, swanson natural chicken broth (and natural beef broth as a close second), full salt, either 99% fat free or 100% fat free are the best I can find. BUT there's a small amount of yeast extract in there, which is bad for a critter diet.

cfine 07-12-2013 07:49 PM

One word.....FAT!! If you are under weight or over weight, fat will help. Good fat only though....olive oil, coconut oil, fatty grass fed beef, butter, cream, cheeses.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 AM.