Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: niciK
Stats: 312/286/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/1/2014 . 100th restart
I'm back! Yet again and with the same problem! Come in and share your advice.

Hi everyone. I am back to low carb yet again. I started the 17th of June and have only lost 6 pounds. I guess I should be happy I am not gaining anything.
I am doing VLC, almost 0 and very high fat.
I have over 100 pounds to lose.
120 to be exact and am female. I lost 55 pounds this past year with low calories.
I am going to start adding veggies because I have to take pepcid every night because I feel like gagging, I am so sick from this woe, so much fat and no veggies. I did make a bag of baby spinach in coco oil and butter and salt and felt a bit better. I have been lurking, so I read about broth and have done that, I need to get more .

Ok, here are my questions and problems

I am having a lot of bashing of my eating, people are very rude and nosy and question me about butter in coffee, all of my fat ect. They are telling me I am killing myself and ketosis is deadly. These people are telling me I am spreading dangerous advice and my sanity needs to be questioned. LOL. Of course I know better. I just can not think of good responses at the time .

Second thing is , does anyone lose better by adding veggies? I eat a sald every other day and really eat mainly fat and moderate protein. I need support from here, and any advice please!

I eat bacon and eggs daily,
Burgers with bacon and cheese , mayo
Rib eyes,
pulled pork with nothing on it, tons of blue cheese dressing. The dressing is O carb, no sugar.

Should I add more veggies?
I am sorry this post is all over the place. I am very emotional today as I felt much lower and weighed.

This happened 3 years ago and I quit . But I am back again.
TIA!
niciK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niciK View Post
I am having a lot of bashing of my eating, people are very rude and nosy and question me about butter in coffee, all of my fat ect. They are telling me I am killing myself and ketosis is deadly. These people are telling me I am spreading dangerous advice and my sanity needs to be questioned. LOL. Of course I know better. I just can not think of good responses at the time .

!
I can help with the boundaries; I teach that.

The key to establishing a "safe place" is to not introduce debatable informaltion as a way of asserting a boundary.

So, instead of saying "I am doing this because I've read Taubes and he says............", you say "This is my choice; it is not up for discussion."

But, be prepared to follow up with action. Action such as leave the conversation, chat, break room, phone or text conversation.

Another key is to not offer unsolicited advice of your own. Even if you think that they should not be eating skinless chicken with baby carrots and fat free ranch dressing - say NOTHING about their choices. Let me be right/wrong. Instead, enjoy your steak.

Don't confuse boundary setting with being right. If you are out to convince people you are right about your beverage with butter, you will forever be angry and frustrated with their response. Instead, think of creating a safe environment and being clear that your food choices are not open for discussion.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlyfechrysalis View Post

The key to establishing a "safe place" is to not introduce debatable informaltion as a way of asserting a boundary.

So, instead of saying "I am doing this because I've read Taubes and he says............", you say "This is my choice; it is not up for discussion."

But, be prepared to follow up with action. Action such as leave the conversation, chat, break room, phone or text conversation.

Another key is to not offer unsolicited advice of your own. Even if you think that they should not be eating skinless chicken with baby carrots and fat free ranch dressing - say NOTHING about their choices. Let me be right/wrong. Instead, enjoy your steak.

Don't confuse boundary setting with being right. If you are out to convince people you are right about your beverage with butter, you will forever be angry and frustrated with their response. Instead, think of creating a safe environment and being clear that your food choices are not open for discussion.
Thank you. This is great advice. I need to shut up a bit. LOL I can get defensive and argue back. Thank god my DH and mom are on my side and supportive. I am trying to set boundaries in life, so this is a good lesson for everything.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

One thing I am proud of, I have stopped binging for now.
I was binging like crazy and after the first week back on low carb, it went away. So that is one positive I have going for myself. I do feel proud of that.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I would definitely add some veggie with your fat....spinach, broccoli, cauliflower mashed into fauxtatoes....and a few cups of lettuce each day. Personally, I'd rather include the veggies to stay "regular" even if it meant a little slower loss!

Keep up the good work!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
This may be heresy, but all that fat may very well be what's keeping you from losing.
Those fats are loaded with calories. Have you actually counted your daily caloric intake?
At the recommendation of people here at LCF, I did that very thing during a stall and was shocked at how many calories I was taking in. I cut back on the fats and hit my permanant goal wihin a few weeks. Veggies especially green leafy ones, may add a few carbs but they are super nutritious and very low in calories.
I say "go for it" Your so lc as it is a few extra carbs from veggies shouldn't hurt, and the calorie offset may get those pounds dropping much faster.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
This may be heresy, but all that fat may very well be what's keeping you from losing.
Those fats are loaded with calories. Have you actually counted your daily caloric intake?
At the recommendation of people here at LCF, I did that very thing during a stall and was shocked at how many calories I was taking in. I cut back on the fats and hit my permanant goal wihin a few weeks. Veggies especially green leafy ones, may add a few carbs but they are super nutritious and very low in calories.
I say "go for it" Your so lc as it is a few extra carbs from veggies shouldn't hurt, and the calorie offset may get those pounds dropping much faster.
This has been my experience as well. I get plenty of fat but don't go out of my way to add it.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlyfechrysalis View Post

Great Great Advice
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

TY everyone. I thought high fats would be better. I am about 140 grams a day , with about 80 grams in protein and minimal carbs. I have read this was optimal for fat loss. I am confused again.

My fats are in my foods, I do add coconut oil and real butter. Should I eliminate those things? Then what is left to eat? Lean chicken breast?
can anyone suggest a menu that would be proper fat loss? I will follow it to a T . Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Don't be confused. You are correct. When you start out things work a little different as when you are closer to goal.

You have been at this for 30 days and have lost 6 lbs. It is not the loss that everyone hopes for, but it is 1.25 pounds a week on average.

There has been at least three low cal dieters remember in the past days who have gone over to lo carb who posted here and all are finding it hard to get going again. I am of the opinion that your body is conserving what it has got. I would bet you changed from lo cal because you hit a standstill .

Edit : Have a look here. This seems to be the closest to the plan you want to follow. You might find inspiration here. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...-fat-low-carb/

Your fat / protein grams look good for where you are in weight terms. Keep at it as you are, do add some veggies,less than 20 carbs and see how you go in the next two weeks.

Welcome to the forum.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 07-11-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: add link
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

My math is off ,that is 1.7 lbs per week. Great going . Change nothing excet the veggies if they make you feel better.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Don't be confused. You are correct. When you start out things work a little different as when you are closer to goal.

You have been at this for 30 days and have lost 6 lbs. It is not the loss that everyone hopes for, but it is 1.25 pounds a week on average.

There has been at least three low cal dieters remember in the past days who have gone over to lo carb who posted here and all are finding it hard to get going again. I am of the opinion that your body is conserving what it has got. I would bet you changed from lo cal because you hit a standstill .

Edit : Have a look here. This seems to be the closest to the plan you want to follow. You might find inspiration here. Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends

Your fat / protein grams look good for where you are in weight terms. Keep at it as you are, do add some veggies,less than 20 carbs and see how you go in the next two weeks.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi. That is where I have been lurking and reading! I love all of the info! I will post there too. But I am following that pretty much! I am going to add some more greens and a bit of broccoli, cauliflower ect and see what happens. I love my fat , it has kept me full and also from binging on empty calories. My husband made a great point , that I am eating a lot , not hungry and not gaining, so I am better than I was 4 weeks ago. I will keep on, keeping on. TY so much.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:

Second thing is , does anyone lose better by adding veggies? I eat a sald every other day and really eat mainly fat and moderate protein. I need support from here, and any advice please!

I eat bacon and eggs daily,
Rib eyes,
pulled pork with nothing on it, tons of blue cheese dressing. The dressing is O carb, no sugar.

Should I add more veggies?
I am sorry this post is all over the place. I am very emotional today as I felt much lower and weighed.

This happened 3 years ago and I quit . But I am back again.
TIA!
First, these people are probably confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis which is a bad thing for diabetics and is not the same as ketosis.

Second, don't engage in debates. If someone is truly interested in low carb eating, I'd point them to Dr. Atkins, Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution), Taubes, Eades, etc. and let them make up their own mind. I've found that the vast majority of people aren't interested in actually increasing their knowledge so what's the point of debating with them.

Last, and again only my .02...I'd cut back on the fats. If you're eating real blue cheese dressing, bacon, mayo, etc. there's really no need to add fat to things like your coffee. You'll get plenty just with the foods you're eating. In Dr. Atkins '72, he says that if you are doing everything right (and you won't know unless you're logging what you're eating), then take a look at the fats because they're probably too high. Also, how much protein are you eating. Excess protein will act like carbs. Dr. Bernstein says 4-5 oz per meal.

I eat 2 eggs cooked in butter and 1 oz of cooked bacon every morning, 4-5 oz of protein with a cup of cooked low carb vegies (green beans, broccoli, etc.) or 2 cups of salad greens and 2 Tbs of a full fat dressing and same for dinner. If hungry before meals, I'll eat a hard boiled egg. My fats come in at about 65% and my protein at 30% with 25gm or less of carbs. Hope this helps.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
First, these people are probably confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis which is a bad thing for diabetics and is not the same as ketosis.

Second, don't engage in debates. If someone is truly interested in low carb eating, I'd point them to Dr. Atkins, Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution), Taubes, Eades, etc. and let them make up their own mind. I've found that the vast majority of people aren't interested in actually increasing their knowledge so what's the point of debating with them.

Last, and again only my .02...I'd cut back on the fats. If you're eating real blue cheese dressing, bacon, mayo, etc. there's really no need to add fat to things like your coffee. You'll get plenty just with the foods you're eating. In Dr. Atkins '72, he says that if you are doing everything right (and you won't know unless you're logging what you're eating), then take a look at the fats because they're probably too high. Also, how much protein are you eating. Excess protein will act like carbs. Dr. Bernstein says 4-5 oz per meal.

I eat 2 eggs cooked in butter and 1 oz of cooked bacon every morning, 4-5 oz of protein with a cup of cooked low carb vegies (green beans, broccoli, etc.) or 2 cups of salad greens and 2 Tbs of a full fat dressing and same for dinner. If hungry before meals, I'll eat a hard boiled egg. My fats come in at about 65% and my protein at 30% with 25gm or less of carbs. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I thought more fat the better. I do the coconut oil and butter in coffee, cheeses ect.

Is there anywhere I can get percentages? An online calculator? Do I should not do the fat in coffee? This forum does have conflicting info everywhere. I just need to see what is best for me I guess.

Yes sometimes I do have more than 4 ounces of meat, I will be starving otherwise. That is is a small amount for me. , I need to rethink .
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Oh and I do add fats, the blue cheese dressing the most. I use it for everything , I go through a huge jar a week. I guess it could be stalling me. This makes me sad.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Thanks. I thought more fat the better. I do the coconut oil and butter in coffee, cheeses ect.

Is there anywhere I can get percentages? An online calculator? Do I should not do the fat in coffee? This forum does have conflicting info everywhere. I just need to see what is best for me I guess.

Yes sometimes I do have more than 4 ounces of meat, I will be starving otherwise. That is is a small amount for me. , I need to rethink .
I think the conflicting information has to do with the fact that people are following a variety of diets. The one I follow is Atkins '72.

Don't forget that your blue cheese dressing isn't zero carbs. I make my own and it still has some carbs from the cheese and half and half. It may be that your carbs are a lot higher than you think they are and that, combined with all those fats, is what's slowing you down.

Also, are you in ketosis? Most people find that once they hit ketosis, their appetite is suppressed. One sign is bad breath.

I'd start with logging your food to find out exactly what you're eating in terms of fats, proteins and carbs. Without knowing that, you're kind of just spinning your wheels maybe.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think the conflicting information has to do with the fact that people are following a variety of diets. The one I follow is Atkins '72.

Don't forget that your blue cheese dressing isn't zero carbs. I make my own and it still has some carbs from the cheese and half and half. It may be that your carbs are a lot higher than you think they are and that, combined with all those fats, is what's slowing you down.

Also, are you in ketosis? Most people find that once they hit ketosis, their appetite is suppressed. One sign is bad breath.

I'd start with logging your food to find out exactly what you're eating in terms of fats, proteins and carbs. Without knowing that, you're kind of just spinning your wheels maybe.
Ty Yes, I am in ketosis. I think with the eggs , blue cheese and coffee and cream, I am at about 5 carbs a day , maybe more. But never over 10. I am going to track for a week, cut protein a bit and add more greens for a good week. I am traveling this weekend, so I am bring macadamia nuts and salame for snacks. This will be my first nuts since starting. Ok, off to log
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I think it is as simple as choosing a plan. People add on a lot after they pick and I suspect do not remember the original plan. Atkins original 72 almost had no numbers,for example. If you hang with the nutritional ketosis people you will soon find out if you could tweak and where.
Re the protein maybe,maybe not . It might be good to log your food and see when you eat more protein and when not. It could also be just one of them things that happens. I live a modified Atkins and I felt not stable until about 5 weeks into the lifestyle.
Oh and I am losing way less than you. I have managed 15 pounds in 4 months. It is what it is .
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
TY everyone. I thought high fats would be better. I am about 140 grams a day , with about 80 grams in protein and minimal carbs. I have read this was optimal for fat loss. I am confused again.

My fats are in my foods, I do add coconut oil and real butter. Should I eliminate those things? Then what is left to eat? Lean chicken breast?
can anyone suggest a menu that would be proper fat loss? I will follow it to a T . Thanks again.
I think the emphasis is on healthy, "clean" fats. Avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, fat that occurs IN food rather than as a processed addition to food.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

This is a great thread.
Lots of good info here.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It sounds to me like your protein, fat, carbs and calories are pretty good right now considering how much you weigh. Certainly I think it would be ok to add back a few low carb veggies. The only concern would be if your metabolism might be a bit messed up from a recent low calorie eating plan (how low?) then you may require fewer calories. But I think it takes a while for your body to get adjusted, so don't stress about it too much at first. I was eating around 1500 calories a day with low carb/moderate protein/high fat and losing well, and have recently cut that to about 1400 calories a day as I need fewer calories to lose now that my body weight is lower (my weight loss has also slowed recently, and I've added exercise so that could be a contributing factor). Good luck!

ETA: Also, you've gotten good advice on discussing your WOE with others. Don't do it! Your WOE shouldn't be a topic of debate. There is no reason to explain it or make excuses for it. If you haven't read a book about LC eating lately, you might want to do that so you feel more confident. I personally am currently in love with The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek, but a lot of people recommend Why We Get Fat? by Gary Taubes as a starter book. That's very good as well. Or even one of the Atkins books, even if you don't want to follow that eating plan specificially.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-12-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Nic, I would be wary of adding cheese for purposes of adding fat, because there are better lower carb sources of fat than cheese. All cheeses have carbs and labels can be very confusing because they undercount (it's a rounding thing). If tracking is too much right now (it still is for me), you might want to selectively count things such as cheese and nuts.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
While I've not yet had time to read all of the responses you received, I am certain there was plenty of really good advice therein...( and someone else may have already addressed this...)

Although, just my Humble opinion, but what jumped out at me in your post was this

"I eat bacon and eggs daily,
Rib eyes,
pulled pork with nothing on it, tons of blue cheese dressing. The dressing is O carb, no sugar."

It the "tons" ( of anything) that concerns me...Not trying to be rude, honestly just trying to help,...but yeah,......

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, but that doesn't mean unlimited fat, no holds barred. High fat, absolutely, but it's not that there's no upper limit. Too much, and I'll be eating at my maintenance caloric need, not low enough to lose weight.

Remember what Dr. Atkins said: "You don't have to count calories, but calories do count." Meaning if you eat to satiety, and don't overeat protein, your calories should naturally be lowered. You get a caloric advantage with ketosis, but that's not a license to overeat.

Also, no dairy is zero carb. Your blue cheese dressing may say 0g carbs per serving, but that's a legal loophole they're exploiting because it has fewer than 0.5g per serving, so if you're eating a large bottle in a week, that's a lot of carbs you're not counting.

I always count dairy that says 0g carbs as 1g to be safe.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
You haven't mentioned water. That's what you should be drinking "tons" of. Keep a glass near where you work, by your computer, the TV, whatever, wherever you are. When it's empty, immediately refill and start to sip again.
If you are, great. But many people walk around de-hydrated all the time, and on this woe, it is is imperative that you not do that. MUCH water is needed on a LC woe.

And my 2 cents is you are doing pretty darn well. 1.7 pounds a week is a very good and healthy rate of loss. Many would be grateful for it here. AND, the fact that you are not binging and not feeling like you have to is HUGE.

I would add in some veggies, for variety in your diet if nothing else, so that you don't burn out on fats. And I would tweak what you're doing gently, so that you don't feel overwhelmed. As you adapt to this woe, you'll find yourself reading more and learning more and thus naturally making small changes at a time that make this work better and better.

It's a long haul, and it's ok to move into it a bit at a time. The important thing is to go forward not backward. As long as you do that, no matter the pace, you're going to keep losing weight.

Most important advice of all: PREPARE AND PLAN to hang in there. Persistence is your greatest friend on this woe. GOOD LUCK!
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oh, and I do agree with Blue Skies: 1.7 lbs per week is good progress!

It's faster than my progress, in fact. I've been back on plan since January 3, and have lost just over forty pounds. That's an average of just under 1.5 lbs per week, though it hasn't happened like in a straight line, more like a bouncing ball going down the stairs.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
And just to underline Ntombi's point, I've been on this woe since February and have lost 20 pounds to her 40 pounds for only a month longer on the woe. But she's much stricter w/her carbs than I am. So we all do this the way we can and the way we can maintain with. Slower works, faster works, it all works eventually, IF you hang in there.

Even with my slower loss, the benefits have been so HUGE, it re-motivates me all the time. Once you begin to really experience the rewards of this, and you have begun to w/less need to binge, it starts to really add up and strengthen your resolve. I though the first 5 to 6 weeks on this woe were the hardest because I hadn't gotten into the larger reward territory yet. So again, hang in there. Tell yourself you're going to do this for say, 6 months, and then evaluate if it's worth it.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I understand how you love your blue cheese dressing
For me it's HWC.
After actually MEASURING and COUNTING the calories in the amount of hwc I was actually i.e. honestly using I was astounded to realize that i was taking in 800 calories a day just in HWC alone. No wonder that I stalled.
I knew in my heart that Iwould never eliminate it , but I also knew that if I was serious about hitting goal I had to cut back. And that's what I did and it worked.
Believe me, I understand about measuring and counting being a total pain. I never did it and still don't except for that one time with that one item. So, I think you need to ask yourself "Do I really need TONS of bleu cheese dressing"?
do you honestly know how many calories/carbs your getting from this over indulgence? It could be easy to figure...Look at the calories per serving on the jar, multipy it by the servings per jar. If you go through a jar every 5 days then divide the sum by 5 and that's your average daily intake.
If changing your entire routine is a little too much at this point, then just cutting back on one item may be doable. What have you got to lose?

Last edited by avid; 07-12-2013 at 08:18 AM..
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MandyDawn
Stats: 336/252/250 (mini goal)
WOE: Back on Atkins as of 6/14/13
Start Date: Originally, July 2011
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I also think there is no need to add in extra fat. I eat eggs just about every day myself, usually boiled or scrambled. Sometimes I have a little bacon or sausage with it. I just love the eggs because they keep me full for a long time. I keep a baggie of hard boiled eggs already peeled in the fridge for emergencies lol. I restarted Atkins on June 14th, so just about a month ago and I've lost 15 pounds. I had regained some of my weight loss from before so I still have another 10 pounds to get back to where I was, but I'm getting there. I was also binge eating a lot before I started this time and I LOVE how I lose that urge when I start Atkins back up. Losing that craving for carbs is the biggest benefit for me. I also started tracking what I eat on an app I downloaded for my phone and I've noticed I'm staying within the guidelines of what it recommends for calories, sometimes I go over, but as long as my carbs stay low and mainly from low-carb veggies then I don't worry about it. I typically eat a salad for one of my meals with some kind of protein and how much depends on how hungry I am and I always use caesar dressing and just a moderate amount. I keep my cheese intake on the low side and I really try to stay away from nuts because I tend to overeat them and I've been trying to stick with the induction phase. I would definitely recommend eating some low carb veggies daily. One of my favorite salads is mixed greens with taco meat (made from mrs. dash southwest chipotle and a little taco sauce because the taco seasoning packets have too many carbs), shredded cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. I just use a moderate amount of the toppings. It's a wonderful treat. I've had it a couple of times in the past month and my kids like it too.
MandyDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much to all! I really appreciate all of the advice. I am going to be cutting back on my blue cheese and HWC and adding veggies. I know that will also cut calories naturally.
Avid, like you I also use quite a bit of HWC. It is so easy to over use.
I think I was getting too many calories overall and will cut a but. Some days calories were 1400 , but most days 2k -2500. Probably too much to lose on. Maybe 1800 is a good amount to aim for. I am sure I can fit a good food plan into 1800 a day, with a high day on weekends.

I am going to start cutting back on extra fats , enjoy eating my fatty meats and not adding the blue cheese to every meal. LOL. I love it. I will use butter on veggies.

Thanks again. I will be starting this Monday, as I am going away for the weekend. Will update. Have a nice weekend. love this website!