Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Who has entirely given up *sweet*? Tell me about it!

I've been kind of inspired by jeaniem's binging thread! Sugar derails me constantly. I have thought about quitting sweets altogether (including fake ones), but two things have been stopping me -- since I'm type I, I have relatively frequent lows and sugar is by far the best treatment and, ummm, I can't stand the idea of giving it up. I eat very little sweet if I'm sticking to plan and not hypoglycemic, like maybe the equivelent of one packet of truvia and one small serving of extra dark chocolate per day on average. But I wonder if that's keeping my cravings alive.

So, the reason I'm thinking I can try this is that dawnyama mentioned gymnema sylvestre in the binge thread and I'm wondering if I can use that to cancel out my skittles that I use when low, like if I use the GS before eating the skittles it might be like the skittles never happened in relation to my addictive behavior, kwim? I would love to hear anyone's experience w it.

The thing I'm really worried about missing is sweet salad dressing. I really love a nice salad w tuna, feta, red onion, kalamata olives, and dressing (can be creamy or vinaigrette) w a packet of truvia mixed in. I love that sweet/salty/vinegary thing. Sigh... And also, once or twice a month I'll have 2T of natural PB w a packet of truvia and some salt.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 07-11-2013 at 11:19 AM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Try it for two weeks, see how you feel.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I eat no real or fake sugar.
Once I gave up sugar a la wine, it was easy.
I don't crave sugar at all.
Since March, I HAVE had a few small servings of fruit -- blueberries, raspberries, a couple slices of cantaloupe, one orange, two plums, and two nectarines. It's was the smell of the plums that got me! (They tasted fine but I didn't desire more. I ate them on two different days.)
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'm a Type 2 diabetic and, contrary to what they proclaim, have found that artificial sweeteners did make a difference. I've been reading recent studies that suggest that the body (at least for a diabetic) doesn't make much of a distinction between AS and sugar.

That aside, I found that as long as I was eating/drinking things with AS, my taste buds craved sweets and carbs...and as a general rule, I'm not a sweet eater so it was just the small amount I was getting in diet sodas. When I finally made the connection, it took me 2-3 weeks to get them out of my system but I no longer have cravings and I find it pretty easy to stay low carb consistently as a result.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Try it for two weeks, see how you feel.
I think what you say makes perfect sense. But I cannot take a step this big without obsessing about it for a while first. Plus, I have to wait a couple of days to receive my gymnema. It's not even worth bothering with for me till I have it. I had to eat 15 skittles this morning the minute I got out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I eat no real or fake sugar.
Once I gave up sugar a la wine, it was easy.
I don't crave sugar at all.
Since March, I HAVE had a few small servings of fruit -- blueberries, raspberries, a couple slices of cantaloupe, one orange, two plums, and two nectarines. It's was the smell of the plums that got me! (They tasted fine but I didn't desire more. I ate them on two different days.)
I hope I can get to the point someday of being able to eat fruit without falling off the cliff. The last year or so, I have had some real doozies that started with fruit. Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I'm a Type 2 diabetic and, contrary to what they proclaim, have found that artificial sweeteners did make a difference. I've been reading recent studies that suggest that the body (at least for a diabetic) doesn't make much of a distinction between AS and sugar.

That aside, I found that as long as I was eating/drinking things with AS, my taste buds craved sweets and carbs...and as a general rule, I'm not a sweet eater so it was just the small amount I was getting in diet sodas. When I finally made the connection, it took me 2-3 weeks to get them out of my system but I no longer have cravings and I find it pretty easy to stay low carb consistently as a result.
As a type I, since my body makes no insulin at all, I'm not susceptible to the thing where your body responds to AS by secreting insulin. That should be making that part of things a little easier for me. I think my big problem is just that I crave the taste, and that I'm addicted. I haven't been eating sweets in large quantity in a long time (except when things are going very badly, which is not frequently), but I have a pretty serious sweet tooth and sugar cravings. I've been fighting it all day today, but that may be bc of the stupid skittles this morning. Gah!

I'm really happy to hear that you guys have been able to get past the sugar thing. I would love to be able to say at some point that I've really kicked the habit.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: niciK
Stats: 312/286/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/1/2014 . 100th restart
Me. I have no desire for it. ( right now). I had cravings the other day, but I rode them out with high fat and it worked! I ate a pickle too. LOL

I do love wine and will drink one glass every month or so. It was daily! I gave it up and do miss it.
I would only do fake sugars when not craving them. If I do it when craving, it can lead to a binge for me.
niciK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
I'm a Type 2 diabetic and, contrary to what they proclaim, have found that artificial sweeteners did make a difference. I've been reading recent studies that suggest that the body (at least for a diabetic) doesn't make much of a distinction between AS and sugar. This is how I feel! My mind and body see AF as sugar and causes a trigger for me to binge!

This is how I feel! My mind and body see AF as sugar and causes a trigger for me to binge!

This is what is happening to me as we speak. Only after 3 days, no "sweet" and my craving and hunger are WAY down and LCing is SO different this time around with the "sweet" subs!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Jayne,
Even though the AS doesn't effect you the same as a Type 2, studies show that just the 'taste' on the tongue is enough to start the psychological cravings...which it sounds like you're dealing with.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jayne,
Even though the AS doesn't effect you the same as a Type 2, studies show that just the 'taste' on the tongue is enough to start the psychological cravings...which it sounds like you're dealing with.
Yes! That's exactly what I meant when I said I wonder if it's keeping my cravings alive. And that is why I'm thinking that the gymnema might help me, even though I'll still be eating skittles. Gosh, that sounds dumb!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
I've cut them down to about 20%.

I don't have desserts ever.
I do use stevia.
I do have cravings.
I am trying to curb my sf cola drinking.

My cravings or need for sugar carbs is low, low. I really don't miss them much at all. Like I said, I use stevia (in tea, shakes sometimes), but not to the extent that I used white sugar before. I consider this a win.

I'm a person who loves a wine or two a night, but they definitely lead me into cravings, over-eating, and stalls. So I need to change that.

Candy - I eat SF kinds on occasion. again, nothing like I used to have. I do know that when I get a bag of 5 Russell Stover candies, I end up eating the whole thing, so that's not good.