LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
5 rules of the leptin diet

This Doc is not in the very locarb camp and I do not feel that his 50/50 and other rules etc is the best way of eating for someone severely overweight.
However, he explains how leptin works very understandably and what happens if you eat all day, snack before bedtime etc . There is doctors who recommend locarb and advocate eating mindful of how leptin works but they just don't explain it so accessibly.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
If your leptin is out of whack it could be hard to abide by the no eating after dinner rule.

I do agree with don't stuff yourself (don't eat big meals), don't snack (for me, I do better if my meals are just big enough to make it through to the next reasonable meal time, with no snacks) , and eat protein at breakfast.

Obviously I disagree with his carb amounts.
And I have to say, the visual "palm size" of starch is misleading due to the varying densities of starch--- a palm size of green peas has a different nutrient profile than a palm size of mashed potatoes.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Okay I just read your post in the other thread.

I think leptin issues were part of my trouble.
I think it takes awhile (like 6 to 12 months) to entirely heal a leptin issue.

I think eating breakfast is a very good idea, even if it's small because you aren't hungry.
I think following that leptin plan with carbs more in line with what we're all here for might be good for you, but don't beat yourself up if you have an evening snack of LC foods--eventually your desire for them will/might fade as you get the benefits of low carbing/ketosis.

It's really important, in my opinion, to not punish yourself for not being perfect--- each step takes us down the road a little at a time, so if you can't do everything at once, just do what you can.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Agree totally re the low carb side and portion sizes . As I said I posted him as he is accessible but yes also facile in his final recommendations. However he puts leptin resistance before insulin resistance and it is said a lot here that insulin resistant people cannot handle and should not have large breakfasts for example which I cannot substantiate.

If you believe for a moment that leptin resistance trumps insulin resistance following the advice of a large protein based breakfast might break a stall or snacking behaviour maybe even binge behaviour later in the day.Or in other words we beleive that insulin is the only thing out of whack and do not account for maybe having leptinresistance as well as they are two separate signalling methods for hunger. It would make sense that through years of overeating we have stretched the rubber bands too far as far as both are concerned .
A lot of other leptin resistence proponents like Dr J Kruse for example recommend locarb and ketosis but he is only accessible if you read a lot of his stuff and some of his other may seem controversial to a lot of people,to put it mildly.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 07-11-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
The Five Rules of the The Leptin Diet:
Rule 1: Never eat after dinner.
Rule 2: Eat three meals a day.
Rule 3: Do not eat large meals.
Rule 4: Eat a breakfast containing protein.
Rule 5: Reduce the amount of carbohydrates eaten.
I actually do all these things. Not really because he says to but because years of trying this & that left me with the ability to reflect on the things that work well for me & also on those that don't.

My definition of "reduced carbohydrates" is very different than his... lol...but it works for me.

#3 can be confusing... If one is eating only 3 times per day one needs to get enough food in those meals. It is important to remember getting enough food is going to mean meals are not tiny but that is different than stuffing oneself. I have found that eating enough at each meal leaves me satisfied (I never eat to the point where I feel "full") until my next meal.

My schedule sometimes allows only 4-5 hours between meals as opposed to his suggested 5-6 but I do work at spreading them out. And, because life happens, sometimes there are more than 7 hours between meals.

His argument against eating after dinner did help to end my occasional late evening snacking. I make sure I get enough for dinner now & the tempation to snack is gone.

Eating this way is part of the lifestyle that leaves me at peace with food. Unprocessed food is also very important to my success.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 07-11-2013 at 03:07 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Deb, great you spoke up that it is working for you.
Emel, glad that you can see some sense in it after re reading. I value your well considered posts greatly.
I posted it as I thought it could help a lot of people literally across the board who struggle for a variety of reasons and might not think to look in that direction.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
As w/everyone, some of this works for me, some doesn't. I have NEVER been a breakfast person, not even when I was a small kid. It's the ONLY time food does not appeal to me. Never has. So I've learned to respect that is the way my body operates, and not force it, despite the plethora of "Eat a good breakfast," advice out there. These days I have a cup of BPC, and that tastes good to me, holds my appetite down for hours, and works just great for me. I am quite happy on two good meals a day beyond that.

I DO agree w/the snacking thing, and have always thought the "eat 5 small meals a day thing" was, well not for me. Nor do I believe in any of the science behind it I've read. Thankfully, I'm not much of a snacker, never have been.

Which brings us to the part about portions and eating smaller meals. As I am not a snacker, portion control at meals has always been an issue. I simply ate too much at most meals, did not wait for the full signal, but often suffered 20 minutes after eating TOO MUCH---that semi nauseous too full feeling. So this part I embrace. Although, I don't see it as "eat small meals,"
I see it more as eat slowly, and cut yourself off before you feel full. IF, in 20 minutes you know you're still hungry, did not get enough, THEN, have another small portion. Even in this fast paced techno world, patience is STILL a virtue. I'm crappy at patience.

As for eating after dinner---I'm a night owl. Usually finished w/dinner by 7 or soon after. I often don't go to sleep till midnight or 1. So I'm not concerned about this. Many nights I eat nothing after dinner, but sometimes I have a scoop of SD coconut Reduced sugar ice cream, small scoop, about an hour after eating. Or maybe a little later, a cream soda. Not both.

This still leaves me with another four hours or so till I go to bed, or more specifically to sleep. I often read in bed for an hour or more before I sleep. So yeah, this one I'm not so worried about, as I don't chow down in front of the TV all night, and not being much of a snacker, I do not nibble the night away. If I have something, it's one small thing, and that's it.

And of course, I don't agree with his 50/50 carb protein thing, for me, and didn't much appreciate his scary list of things that could happen to you if you eat NO carbs. As if Low Carb eating has anything to do with NO carbs.

Still, I enjoyed this, and the Lepitin thing is something I'm just beginning to learn about. So thanks again. I LOVE to explore all these possibilities, pick and choose what's right for me.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Blue Skies;16510815......, and didn't much appreciate his scary list of things that could happen to you if you eat NO carbs. As if Low Carb eating has anything to do with NO carbs.

Still, I enjoyed this, and the Lepitin thing is something I'm just beginning to learn about. So thanks again. I LOVE to explore all these possibilities, pick and choose what's right for me.[/QUOTE]

Glad you enjoyed. And yes the carb horror story almost made me not post it,but the other bit that gets talked about very little was just too good.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I am skeptical about all this 'leptin' stuff based on some past viewing.

Some time ago, there was a local TV show here that featured an obesity researcher (MD) from one of our NYC major medical centers.

He frequently spoke about his research on leptin because it had been discovered (mid-1980s) that most obese individuals had disordered levels of leptin. The theory was that if scientists could find some way to regulate leptin levels, they might have a great weight-loss 'solution.'

After about a year, this same researcher reported that the leptin project had been abandoned because of the need to cross the blood brain barrier to affect leptin--something that meds cannot do. Moreover, the scientists had found NO other way to regulate leptin levels.

I wonder how much the current 'solutions' are based on weight loss itself? That is, I was morbidly obese my entire life, but I have been at a 'normal' weight for the past 3 years. Perhaps my leptin levels were out of whack when I was obese and are fine now. It wouldn't be my WOE that affected the leptin but the weight loss itself.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote