Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Anyone use Nutiva Coco-Manna instead of oil?

I really despise the taste of coconut oil whether liquid or solid. I have no use for cooking with it so I've tried a few brands and just swallowing it by the tablespoon and also tried putting it in hot tea since I don't drink coffee. Disgusting and I want to gag every time. You can't even blend it with anything since the oil sticks to cream or floats to the top.

I tried Nutiva's Coconut Manna and at least it blends smooth in protein shakes. It has 3grams of carbs but 2g are from the coconut fiber..so I should be fine with this right? The only ingredient is "whole coconut".
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Have you tried refined CO . . . it is flavorless. With a frother or immersian blender it doesn't stick to cream or float to top. Just pointing out, but sounds like your mind is made up.
I saw coco manna in the store but haven't purchased it. If you like it and can deal with the carbs, why not?
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Have you tried refined CO . . . it is flavorless. With a frother or immersian blender it doesn't stick to cream or float to top. Just pointing out, but sounds like your mind is made up.
I saw coco manna in the store but haven't purchased it. If you like it and can deal with the carbs, why not?
Never tried it but doesn't sound like I'd get the benefits of "coconut oil" that is supposed to be so great if it's refined.

That's what I'm wondering..why not? lol Seems sometimes when you find something it might be too good to true and someone might know something about it you don't. So far I can't see anything wrong with it. It fits in my marcos.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Love the descriptions. I am not happy with adding the coconut oil to things either. Tried it once in a smoothie. Not again I don't like coconut chunks either. I really don't like it in my baked goods as it tastes horrible when subbing for butter. That is why I take my coconut oil by the spoon. But you don't like that even more The coconut manna I am guessing is the coconut butter others refer to. It is the whole coconut so you won't get as much oil out of it as you would straight oil. But you will still get some benefits from it. Have you tried it yet? It still tastes like coconuts. So if you are not liking the taste of coconuts you still won't like this. You don't have to eat this if you don't like it. The thing about low carb is you eat what you like and don't eat what you don't like. No forcing anything down.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Yep, looks the same as "coconut butter". I never heard that term before but I'm new to this stuff. I just found it at a health food store next to the coconut oil I didn't like. lol I found another brand that says there's is 65% oil. That would still be more benefits then I'm getting now since I can't drink it.

I tried it by blending 2tbsp in with almond milk protein powder. I didn't really taste any coconut and it made my shake thicker/creamier so I guess I'll keep doing it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I am not real clear about the manna, I saw it for the first time just a couple of days ago.

MCT oil might be an option. I am not sure about taste as I have just used it in my iced coffee and haven't noticed any flavor. It doesn't glob up in a cold bev the way co would.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Coconut manna is the same as coconut butter, and it's the equivalent texture-wise of adding peanut butter or almond butter to a smoothie. Nothing wrong with that at all. You won't get as much concentrated fat, but that's ok.

I hate the little bumps of hardened coconut oil in cold drinks, too. I either use MCT oil or save the CO for hot and warm applications. MCT oil is expensive, so I don't often have any.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #8

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
It has a similar nutritional profile to Thai house coconut milk in the can, which I use.

The 'refined' coconut oil talked about upthread is most likely expeller-pressed virgin coconut oil, which is fine. Heat processed stuff gets its goodness killed by the heat, and cheaper grades are not good--they use inferior, older copra (sometimes been laying on the ground for awhile), which can get dried out and moldy, so they refine it and have to get tricky with extracting the good stuffs because ist's dried out.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I love coconut butter and eat it as sweet treat once in a while or added to curry sauce, stuff like that. Other than for cooking certain things like roasted veggies, I'm not big on adding coconut oil (it doesn't agree with me) but I figure I'm getting at least some of the benefits with this. It's really delicious, imo.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anglophile67
Stats: 207/167-only weighing once a month for sanity/145
WOE: Under 20 carbs/day
Start Date: January 2013
I was having a very hard time choking down the coconut oil 3x a day until I happened upon this lifesaver: I take a tablespoon of the CO, make a little dent in it and the pour a little bit of sf Torani syrup into the indentation. As soon as you put it in your mouth, it all melts together and it doesn't gag me at all. And actually tastes good! :-). Just a suggestion if you decided the CO has the benefits you need.
Anglophile67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Coconut manna is the same as coconut butter, and it's the equivalent texture-wise of adding peanut butter or almond butter to a smoothie. Nothing wrong with that at all. You won't get as much concentrated fat, but that's ok.
I have coconut butter and it is 8 carbs, 4 fiber for 2 TBS. This seems like a lot of carbs (4 net) and I'm not very fond of the sweet taste and texture of this product.

Am I missing something in why this product has so many carbs compared to coconut oil? The produce I have is made by MaraNatha.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Or you could just purchase pure MCT oil, which is the beneficial oil in coconut oil. I hate the taste of CO too, and I've tried to get used to it. Plus, even one tsp gave me a terrible stomach ache.

A bit off topic here, but a cautionary tale below re: the use of CO......

I would then apply it externally to absorb some of its great benefits and because it is a great moisturizer. About a month ago, I discovered that I have a topical allergy to coconut oil. Every time I put it on my skin, I broke out in terrible, itchy hives! so now even topical absorption of CO is out of the question.

Perhaps my initial disgust with its taste and stomach aches was a warning sign that my body can't handle it.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-25-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I have coconut butter and it is 8 carbs, 4 fiber for 2 TBS. This seems like a lot of carbs (4 net) and I'm not very fond of the sweet taste and texture of this product.

Am I missing something in why this product has so many carbs compared to coconut oil? The produce I have is made by MaraNatha.
Coconut oil is just oil.
Coconut Butter or Manna is coconut meat and oil.. It's made from the coconut meat which is where the carbs from. That pulpy white mess when you open a coconut. It's all fiber, no sugar.(Depending on the brand) 4grams of coconut carbs isn't any worse than 4grams of broccoli fiber. I'm not familiar with that brand but the only ingredients listed on the jar should be coconut and oil..or "Whole coconut" and nothing else.

No point in using it if you don't like it though. The oil has more benefits anyway.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglophile67 View Post
I was having a very hard time choking down the coconut oil 3x a day until I happened upon this lifesaver: I take a tablespoon of the CO, make a little dent in it and the pour a little bit of sf Torani syrup into the indentation. As soon as you put it in your mouth, it all melts together and it doesn't gag me at all. And actually tastes good! :-). Just a suggestion if you decided the CO has the benefits you need.
Interesting. I might try that since I still have some oil sitting in a closet rotting. lol
Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
Coconut oil is just oil.
Coconut Butter or Manna is coconut meat and oil.. It's made from the coconut meat which is where the carbs from. That pulpy white mess when you open a coconut. It's all fiber, no sugar.(Depending on the brand) 4grams of coconut carbs isn't any worse than 4grams of broccoli fiber. I'm not familiar with that brand but the only ingredients listed on the jar should be coconut and oil..or "Whole coconut" and nothing else.

No point in using it if you don't like it though. The oil has more benefits anyway.
Thanks for this!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
It has a similar nutritional profile to Thai house coconut milk in the can, which I use.

The 'refined' coconut oil talked about upthread is most likely expeller-pressed virgin coconut oil, which is fine. Heat processed stuff gets its goodness killed by the heat, and cheaper grades are not good--they use inferior, older copra (sometimes been laying on the ground for awhile), which can get dried out and moldy, so they refine it and have to get tricky with extracting the good stuffs because ist's dried out.
Mine is spectrum expeller pressed organic coconut oil. I use the unrefined typically but this is good for cooking or baking when you don't want the coco flavor. I don't know how they remove the flavor but I guess that is the process of refinement.

I like to add a bit of coconut milk to chicken broth . . . yum.