Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Macadamia Nuts at Costco (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807746-macadamia-nuts-costco.html)

haferchamp 07-10-2013 05:03 PM

Macadamia Nuts at Costco

They're back! I found them today at the Costco in Spokane. They don't last long so grab them while you can. :jumpjoy:

momov2boys 07-10-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haferchamp (Post 16509076)
They're back! I found them today at the Costco in Spokane. They don't last long so grab them while you can. :jumpjoy:

Thanks for the excellent news, haferchamp!
I'll be looking for them in East Wenatchee!

:)

Chocolate Rose 07-10-2013 06:52 PM

Yes!! I was visiting family in Olympia, WA a week and a half ago, and the Costco there finally had them. I have looked for macs every single trip I've made to Costco since last September (which is every 1 or 2 weeks). Every time I asked about them, I was told they were a seasonal product. But, they hadn't been a seasonal product previously. Anyway, I bought 3 bags during that trip, and then 3 more bags last weekend at my local Costco. Oh, they come in bags this year, rather than cans. I'm going to be sure I have enough on hand to get through several months in case they become "seasonal" again. :lol: I'm just not willing to pay regular grocery store prices for them.

marieze 07-10-2013 07:24 PM

I am mew to Costo so I hope you don't mind my questions! I am in Portland, Or! Are they with the nut displays towards the front lf the store....the few Costco's I have been in are all pretty much laid out the same....also, are they Mauna Loa brand with the Kirkland name on them and do you mind my asking how big is each bag and how much they are!

I've been buying mine at the local Winco and they are pretty good but even at Winco they are pretty spendy!!

Thanks!!

Hot Potato 07-10-2013 07:27 PM

Macadamias are native to Australia and they are pretty pricey here too. But they are very widely available all year round.

Chocolate Rose 07-10-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16509320)
I am mew to Costo so I hope you don't mind my questions! I am in Portland, Or! Are they with the nut displays towards the front lf the store....the few Costco's I have been in are all pretty much laid out the same....also, are they Mauna Loa brand with the Kirkland name on them and do you mind my asking how big is each bag and how much they are!

Yes, they are with all the other nuts. At the Costcos I've been to, there is a snacky kind of aisle that is primarily nuts. Like I said, these are in blue bags, not in cans or plastic tubs. They used to carry the Mauna Loa brand, but this year it is Savanna Orchards Gourmet from South Africa. In WA, they are 24 oz. for $17.99. I keep a bag in my desk at work. YUM!

Garlic 07-10-2013 07:35 PM

I love them, but they must stay out of my home for now... Way too tempting. And way too pricey.

Feelin'Great! 07-10-2013 09:11 PM

How long will they last? Don't they go rancid pretty quickly? How do you store them?

Mistizoom 07-11-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feelin'Great! (Post 16509431)
How long will they last? Don't they go rancid pretty quickly? How do you store them?

I got the blue bag at Costco last time they had them and I think they did go rancid after a couple of months. The Mauna Loas from Costco I had before that did not, but I thought those ones were too salty for me. Next time I buy them I'll store them in the fridge or freezer.

Garlic 07-11-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

3 months at most if not in fridge... maybe 5 months in the fridge....

RhondaC 07-11-2013 03:46 PM

My Costco just has the big cans of Mauna Loa for $17.99.

Chocolate Rose 07-11-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

The bag indicates "best if used by 2/14", but I'm sure if you kept them in the freezer they'd be fine.

soon 07-12-2013 04:08 AM

You make them last 3 months? Wow can I touch u? I no longer buy nuts u can guess why

PianoAl 07-12-2013 04:48 PM

My Costco has the Mauna Loa's only around Christmas. Other times it has these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ZL._SY300_.jpg

They are not as good as Mauna Loa, but not bad. About 10% of the kernels are harder and not as good.

I shake them in a colander to remove excess salt.

ljguitar 07-14-2013 07:55 AM

I used to buy Large-food-warehouse Macadamia, then I found Mauna Loa. So superior to anything we've ever gotten from the big-house that we don't even look for them there anymore.

I buy mine from Amazon for reasonable prices in 24oz sizes.

Chocolate Rose 07-14-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 16514436)

I used to buy Large-food-warehouse Macadamia, then I found Mauna Loa. So superior to anything we've ever gotten from the big-house that we don't even look for them there anymore.

I buy mine from Amazon for reasonable prices in 24oz sizes.

I was concerned about buying an "off brand", but I don't have any complaints about these. I haven't bought macadamias since last August when Costco stopped carrying them, so maybe my taste buds are off, but these taste great to me. I was just at Costco yesterday and the mac display was down to almost nothing. So, I bought three more bags just in case they don't get any more in for a year again.:laugh::laugh: