Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoopy
Beginner, slow weigth loss, mostly stall.

Hello,

Two months ago I began strength training three days a week; arms, legs, arms one week, followed by legs, arms, and legs the next.

After one month of strength training I added a low carb diet which I’ve kept for one month.

Two weeks after dieting, I added some cardio. e.g. Running, Biking, Walking, etc…

All in all, I’ve lost about twelve pounds the first month, and then nothing. Since adding strength training and cardio I haven’t lost a pound.
My diet consist of about 20% carbs, 30% protein, and the 50% fat. My total calorie intake for the month averages out to be 1800 per day. My weight is currently 281

I am doing something wrong?

I fear I am not eating enough. I don’t feel hungry. I three times a day about 5 hours apart, sometimes I will have a snack such as piece of fruit, low carb veggie, peanut butter, etc..

Strength training takes about one hour. Biking takes about an hour, 12-14 MPH over a 9 mile course. Running takes about twenty minutes, I am very slow at this weight. Walking takes about an hour at a moderate pace, nothing crazy.

I am hoping that I am gaining some muscle, which is causing me to not see a weight loss, but is is might disheartening and I would like to make some adjustments to see some weight loss. Some things I am reading indicate that maybe I should be eating more to increase my calorie count, as well as increasing %fat intake. Any suggestions to improve weight loss? I was looking for at least a pound a week, I can do that without low-carbing; although low-carbing does leave me feeling full and comfortable.

Thanks,

Snoopy.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
What plan are you following? I can sometimes tell just by reading a post, but
the fruit and peanut butter is throwing me off. Whatever the plan, are you
following it as written?

Are you using a measuring tape? or just a scale?
You're not going to lose inches AND pounds at the same time,
and you're not going to lose consistently or linearly.

You've probably irritated previously underused muscles, and they are retaining
water to protect themselves. Keep up the exercise and the water will drain away.

If you're really worried about your calories, do this:

Quote:
English BMR Formula

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )
Then work the result into this:

Quote:
Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
  • If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  • If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  • If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  • If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  • If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
If you could give us a bit more information, we could help you better.

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~

Last edited by Pami; 07-10-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
How do you 'feel'. I pay more attention to how I feel, how my clothes fit, etc. rather than the scale. With all the things you are doing, you might just be replacing muscle with fat, so you might not see a change on the scale for awhile.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Your percentage of carbs looks high. Are you eating close to 90 grams of carbs per day? I couldn't lose if I ate that many.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote