Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Beginner, slow weigth loss, mostly stall. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807734-beginner-slow-weigth-loss-mostly-stall.html)

Snoopy 07-10-2013 11:40 AM

Beginner, slow weigth loss, mostly stall.

Hello,

Two months ago I began strength training three days a week; arms, legs, arms one week, followed by legs, arms, and legs the next.

After one month of strength training I added a low carb diet which Iíve kept for one month.

Two weeks after dieting, I added some cardio. e.g. Running, Biking, Walking, etcÖ

All in all, Iíve lost about twelve pounds the first month, and then nothing. Since adding strength training and cardio I havenít lost a pound.
My diet consist of about 20% carbs, 30% protein, and the 50% fat. My total calorie intake for the month averages out to be 1800 per day. My weight is currently 281

I am doing something wrong?

I fear I am not eating enough. I donít feel hungry. I three times a day about 5 hours apart, sometimes I will have a snack such as piece of fruit, low carb veggie, peanut butter, etc..

Strength training takes about one hour. Biking takes about an hour, 12-14 MPH over a 9 mile course. Running takes about twenty minutes, I am very slow at this weight. Walking takes about an hour at a moderate pace, nothing crazy.

I am hoping that I am gaining some muscle, which is causing me to not see a weight loss, but is is might disheartening and I would like to make some adjustments to see some weight loss. Some things I am reading indicate that maybe I should be eating more to increase my calorie count, as well as increasing %fat intake. Any suggestions to improve weight loss? I was looking for at least a pound a week, I can do that without low-carbing; although low-carbing does leave me feeling full and comfortable.

Thanks,

Snoopy.

Pami 07-10-2013 08:17 PM

What plan are you following? I can sometimes tell just by reading a post, but
the fruit and peanut butter is throwing me off. Whatever the plan, are you
following it as written?

Are you using a measuring tape? or just a scale?
You're not going to lose inches AND pounds at the same time,
and you're not going to lose consistently or linearly.

You've probably irritated previously underused muscles, and they are retaining
water to protect themselves. Keep up the exercise and the water will drain away.

If you're really worried about your calories, do this:

Quote:

English BMR Formula

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )
Then work the result into this:

Quote:

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
  • If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  • If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  • If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  • If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  • If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

If you could give us a bit more information, we could help you better.

Aomiel 07-11-2013 05:16 AM

How do you 'feel'. I pay more attention to how I feel, how my clothes fit, etc. rather than the scale. With all the things you are doing, you might just be replacing muscle with fat, so you might not see a change on the scale for awhile.

Emily-D 07-11-2013 07:36 AM

Your percentage of carbs looks high. Are you eating close to 90 grams of carbs per day? I couldn't lose if I ate that many.