Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Decided To Do LC Again, But Clean Eating This Time!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807686-decided-do-lc-again-but-clean-eating-time.html)

Beeb 07-09-2013 07:37 PM

Decided To Do LC Again, But Clean Eating This Time!!
 
After a terrible time with a binging issue and 20 pound weight gain in a year I decided to take some of the advice that I've been getting from some wonderful LCFs here and do LC again.

I have/had done LC for many years and stopped doing it when I started doing JUDDD. JUDDD gave me the freedom I was looking for from the burn out I was feeling from LC BUT (and this is a big but) eating higher carbs led to eating junk carbs that has led to not a pretty place in my weight AND head.

This time around doing LC I'm eating clean, getting many of my LC foods from veggies and eating more fat than I did before. I am also not using/eating sugar subs since I know they are a trigger for me (any kind of "sweet" taste is a trigger), and I'm not counting anything but fat/protein/carbs until I get the hang of it again. Making homemade LC stuff is out for now, but I'm open to it maybe in the future when things are better under control for me.

Today was my first day and I have to say my cravings tonight were almost nothing. A glass of club soda took care of what I thought was hunger (proving that it was just head hunger) and now I'm ready for bed. I feel so much better today also with hardly any pain from my Fibro and THIS is a wonderful thing!!

Thank you all for the advice and support and intending to finally move pass this ED and have my life back and my relationship with food healed! :aprayer:

momov2boys 07-09-2013 11:21 PM

Good for you, Beeb!!!
:high5:

LC is the only way for me to eat and stay sane!

I'm cheering for both of us!
:)

Feelin'Great! 07-09-2013 11:23 PM

Good Luck, Linda. I'm with ya... trying to climb back up onto the proverbial wagon. So many tries and fails. Today, all day, success. As soon as I can get over the hump and into ketosis, I'll be golden. Another day and a half... water water water! Wish me luck -and I wish you all the best, as well! We're on our way!!!:up:

rubidoux 07-10-2013 01:06 AM

I hope this is the answer for you! Good luck, Beeb!

emel 07-10-2013 01:38 AM

I am so incredibly happy for you.
I believe you will feel much better soon.
Great to hear the club soda averted a night episode. That's a good trick.

tobelowcarber 07-10-2013 03:21 AM

Good luck- Linda. I think you will be very successful with your new plan :high5:

Trigger828 07-10-2013 05:10 AM

Congrats on feeling better!! that is a big plus.

Beeb 07-10-2013 05:39 AM

Thanks all! :hugs::shake::high5: I'm so happy to see everyone here with me on my new journey and it's great knowing I have others in the same "boat" as I am. Good to have company on the sometimes chopping seas! :hugs: Also, thanks so much to everyone for all the good wishes! :love:

I feel wonderful today! :D Just for the fact that my Fibro is almost nothing this morning (mornings and late night are the worst for me) is a great reason to stay on LC again! My thoughts about food are better, too. And I see any weight loss as a bonus added to getting control of my ED and pain right now!:up:

Thinking back to the long time I did LC (7+ years) I saw where I burned out. I was always replacing HC foods that I missed with a LC version. This seemed to make it easier, but I was always in the kitchen, baking/cooking. I would look at LC as "I have to make this LC product or I'm going to miss out on eating bread, pasta, rice, etc.". <<<< THIS, I realize, is what caused the burn out, not eating in a LC way. Sure, I will probably make some homemade baked goods (bread, cheesecake, etc.) somewhere a ways down the road but for now keeping it is just to LC veggies, meat and dairy,
Also, I know when I over think or "have to" do anything I get in trouble so simple foods are the best way! No counting calories, restrictive times, off days/on days. Just simple foods within my carb limits and that are LC.

As a matter of fact I use a tracker to log in my food and it's ticking me off that I can't change to NOT seeing the calories there if I log into it using my computer. IPad and IPhone are fine, no calories on the apps there, so I think I'll just use them instead of my main computer. Seeing the calories is :eek: me out a bit, it's the restriction thing again that causes me to want to binge. For some reason seeing the carbs yesterday did nothing to my head, not a binge thought at all! I think it's because I know I can eat to being full (which I felt for the first time in a long time yesterday) and not have to worry so about "OMG, I only have ____ calories left for the day"! Eating simple also keeps the carbs low, so it's almost a no brainer there! :)

Today I'm rethinking breakfast foods because eating eggs first thing makes me hungry all day (lots of us out here like this, it seems). I have several great ideas so this will not become a problem.

I just love the way I feel today, physically AND mentally, and I had forgot that LC is so good for my Fibro! Making it simple this time is the key and also the other thing is staying away from "sweet" tasting stuff. SF or not, it's a trigger so for now it's not in my food vocabulary! ;)

Stay with me, my LCFs and post how you are doing! I KNOW you will be an inspiration for me and the reach here! Any suggestions, ideas, plans, etc. are what will help ALL of us to success! :clap::high5:

emel 07-10-2013 05:55 AM

Good post.

Hints:
Mix a smaller portion of your favorite creamy dressing with olive oil-- just put both on your salad and toss. The dressing goes further so you can eat a big salad with a correct serving of fats, and you get a nice boost of cleaner monounsaturated fat from the olive oil.

burger patties for breakfast are tasty and eliminate the processing/nitrites found in bacon and some sausages.

allow yourself a window for lunch and dinner. If I eat because it's a traditional suppertime, I get messed up. So I eat when I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry at noon, I'll fix my plate and then warm it or put dressing on it and eat it when I get hungry (but I watch the clock to make sure I don't entirely forget to eat the meal). A lot of times my husband eats dinner and then I go back for my plate an hour later. It works for us.

clackley 07-10-2013 06:10 AM

:clap: Just wanted to add my support Linda. So glad to hear you are feeling so much better already! Brilliant!! :clap:

Emily-D 07-10-2013 06:29 AM

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. I have found that it's much easier to stick to low carb when I remember that I'm doing it for health reasons as well as for weight loss.

I've had a similar experience to yours regarding all the cooking. Although I love the low carb cheesecakes, almond thins, and other recipes, it takes a lot of time and energy. It's easier when I just eat more simply, although it's nice to know those other options are available. I've been thinking about Suzanne's zero carb plan, but I think I need more variety and I still have to cook for my family, so it's probably too extreme for me, but it's another option to keep in the back of my mind. I still do a fair amount of cooking for dinner, but I concentrate on entrees that everyone will eat, such as Italian Casserole and Pumpkin & Sausage Soup, rather than making low carb versions of high carb treats.

Wishing you continued success and good health!

Midlyfechrysalis 07-10-2013 07:44 AM

Hey, Beeb! I remember you from an earlier time when I was active. I'm wishing you success and wellness.

My own "lapses" happen when life gets complicated. Unfortunately, I've experienced a lot of that in the last decade.

Beeb 07-10-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16507807)
Good post.

Hints:
Mix a smaller portion of your favorite creamy dressing with olive oil-- just put both on your salad and toss. The dressing goes further so you can eat a big salad with a correct serving of fats, and you get a nice boost of cleaner monounsaturated fat from the olive oil.

burger patties for breakfast are tasty and eliminate the processing/nitrites found in bacon and some sausages.

allow yourself a window for lunch and dinner. If I eat because it's a traditional suppertime, I get messed up. So I eat when I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry at noon, I'll fix my plate and then warm it or put dressing on it and eat it when I get hungry (but I watch the clock to make sure I don't entirely forget to eat the meal). A lot of times my husband eats dinner and then I go back for my plate an hour later. It works for us.

:goodpost::hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16507845)
:clap: Just wanted to add my support Linda. So glad to hear you are feeling so much better already! Brilliant!! :clap:

I :heart: you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16507886)
I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. I have found that it's much easier to stick to low carb when I remember that I'm doing it for health reasons as well as for weight loss.

I've had a similar experience to yours regarding all the cooking. Although I love the low carb cheesecakes, almond thins, and other recipes, it takes a lot of time and energy. It's easier when I just eat more simply, although it's nice to know those other options are available. I've been thinking about Suzanne's zero carb plan, but I think I need more variety and I still have to cook for my family, so it's probably too extreme for me, but it's another option to keep in the back of my mind. I still do a fair amount of cooking for dinner, but I concentrate on entrees that everyone will eat, such as Italian Casserole and Pumpkin & Sausage Soup, rather than making low carb versions of high carb treats.

Wishing you continued success and good health!

Thank you and good to see I'm not alone in my thinking about LC being "too much work" when we make it so. I also see lots of my way of thinking in your post and I'll re-read it often to remind myself to keep it clean or to remember I DO have options if I want them, but I don't HAVE to have them! :hugs:

tobelowcarber 07-10-2013 07:50 AM

Linda, so glad you are already feeling better. Try to have some meat for breakfast or meat w/eggs. I also like to have leftover baked salmon with some mayo on oopsie rolls for breakfast. I think it is smart of you just to keep it simple.

Aquarius 07-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Thinking back to the long time I did LC (7+ years) I saw where I burned out. I was always replacing HC foods that I missed with a LC version. This seemed to make it easier, but I was always in the kitchen, baking/cooking. I would look at LC as "I have to make this LC product or I'm going to miss out on eating bread, pasta, rice, etc.".
Not only is this a lot of work, but it keeps deprivation at the forefront of your mind. I've found it incredibly helpful to focus on the things that I love that I CAN have than to think about or try to replace the stuff that I can't.

I am happy to hear you're feeling better, Beeb. Wishing you much success and continued wellness.

Beeb 07-11-2013 09:20 AM

OMG I feel wonderful!! Not hungry, no thought of "what am I going to eat next even though I just ate", finding my simple choices for food are now creating a wonderful relationship with food, and just feeling so much better all around!! :love:

I am tracking my carbs but of course any food tracker gives you your calories and I still tend to be a bit freaked out at the end of the day when I see them and how much calories I'm eating (all from fat/protein/veggies BTW) BUT I figure this is a good lesson in ignoring what I don't need in my life as binge triggers such as counting calories/calorie restriction! :down:

My mind set is SO different this time around doing LC, I'm just amazed! It's simple and where I KNOW I have to be to feel good, so much less pain! :clap:

I was out to dinner last night with a friend. I told her I was doing LC again for my Fibro. I looked at the menu and picked out a nice steak with some salad and veggies. She says to me "that doesn't sound fun; no potato/rice, no bread, no dessert"? I said "sure it's fun, NO PAIN from eating things that cause me pain and that to me is just plain FUN"! I saw the light bulb go off over her head and nothing more was said about my menu choices. What was really funny is they brought a big basket of bread to the table. She ate a piece and then hesitated to eat another and then when she did reach for another piece she mumbled something about "I'm not doing LC, I can eat this"! I just put my head down and smiled! :)

It was a good experience and I kinda wanted a piece of bread BUT thinking about the pain stopped me dead in my tracks and whisked that thought right away!! :up:

Beeb 07-11-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16508090)
Linda, so glad you are already feeling better. Try to have some meat for breakfast or meat w/eggs. I also like to have leftover baked salmon with some mayo on oopsie rolls for breakfast. I think it is smart of you just to keep it simple.

TY and love the ideas! :hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarius (Post 16508257)
Not only is this a lot of work, but it keeps deprivation at the forefront of your mind. I've found it incredibly helpful to focus on the things that I love that I CAN have than to think about or try to replace the stuff that I can't.

I am happy to hear you're feeling better, Beeb. Wishing you much success and continued wellness.

:goodpost: and TY for the encouragement! :hugs:

tobelowcarber 07-11-2013 09:28 AM

:jumpjoy::clap::up:

emel 07-11-2013 10:12 AM

So great to hear you're doing well and feeling well!

Eliza_Jazz 07-11-2013 10:32 AM

Beeb, congrats on getting back to LC and feeling better. :high5: I wish you continued success! I believe LC is the only way for some of us. Some people can handle more carbs physically and mentally, but some of us can't.

Speaking from personal experience....

Rhubarb 07-11-2013 10:40 AM

Congratulations! If you're one of the lucky ones who loses her cravings with LC, it's truly the very best thing about it. KUTGW.

Mobear 07-11-2013 11:38 AM

Good luck Beeb

rubidoux 07-11-2013 12:25 PM

I have been doing clean and simple for a long time now, but you're really inspiring and reinvigorating me, Beeb! Thanks!

And it's great to see you're feeling better!

Blue Skies 07-11-2013 03:20 PM

Good luck Beeb. Hopefully soon the hunger will abate. You know it CAN work because you did it before. Then some experimentation, a few tweaks, and you can find your sweet spot. Not that it is constant, but that much of the time you're feeling good and satisfied w/your woe, your body is feeling lighter and fleeter, and your energy is great. That's a great spot to be in. A lot to look forward to.

giggles4me 07-11-2013 03:34 PM

Can I join you at getting back to LC. I have fallen so far off the wagon it's not funny.

tobelowcarber 07-11-2013 03:53 PM

It looks like there is few of us trying to get back on LC train. How about starting a check-in ?

emel 07-11-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16510699)
It looks like there is few of us trying to get back on LC train. How about starting a check-in ?

THere was a thread that got repositioned onto the challenges board.
For folks interested in lowcarbing and other strategies to ease disorder symptoms, that might be a good place to gather, post stats and strategies, etc.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...trategies.html

Beeb 07-11-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giggles4me (Post 16510671)
Can I join you at getting back to LC. I have fallen so far off the wagon it's not funny.

Welcome aboard and so happy for the company!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16510699)
It looks like there is few of us trying to get back on LC train. How about starting a check-in ?

I :heart: this idea!! How about starting a thread for those of us coming back and what we learned before, after and the things that we did use that we hope will help us this time around?

Now we just need a "snappy" thread title! I'm thinking Repeat Performances, LC Again!!? :confused:

Midlyfechrysalis 07-11-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16511023)
Welcome aboard and so happy for the company!!



I :heart: this idea!! How about starting a thread for those of us coming back and what we learned before, after and the things that we did use that we hope will help us this time around?

Now we just need a "snappy" thread title! I'm thinking Repeat Performances, LC Again!!? :confused:

Let me know when and where it gets posted. I want "in".

tobelowcarber 07-12-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16511023)

Now we just need a "snappy" thread title! I'm thinking Repeat Performances, LC Again!!? :confused:

I like the title! Go ahead, Linda and start us off :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM.