Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   ? For those who eat zero carbs. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807677-those-who-eat-zero-carbs.html)

floridagirl6 07-09-2013 02:27 PM

? For those who eat zero carbs.

I've seen several members that eat zero carbs. I try to keep my carbs very low. Are your carbs net or total?
Could you please post menus?
Thanks!

Mistizoom 07-09-2013 02:32 PM

I don't eat zero carb, but I think you first have to define what zero carb is. What I have seen it referred to as is eating no plant products except for very minor amounts of spices and maybe herbs. Otherwise only animal products. There are certainly animal products that contain carbs, even a significant amount. But that is one way I have heard of as zero carb. The other, of course, would essentially be eating no carbohydrates. This would be nearly impossible, unless one ate only fat and a zero carb protein supplement. Because even meat contains minor amounts of carbs in the form of glycogen. So it is possible for a person to eat very low carb (probably 5 g or even less per day) but absolutely zero does not happen.

floridagirl6 07-09-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16507022)
I don't eat zero carb, but I think you first have to define what zero carb is.

Yes! That's what I was wondering. What do the people that eat zero carb eat? I find that there are carbs in almost everything - except meat & fish.

Ntombi 07-09-2013 02:49 PM

Mostly, they eat meat, eggs, and dairy. Of course, that's not truly zero carb, but it's zero plant-derived carbs.

And some meats and seafoods have carbs too. :)

rubidoux 07-09-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridagirl6 (Post 16507037)
Yes! That's what I was wondering. What do the people that eat zero carb eat? I find that there are carbs in almost everything - except meat & fish.

I spent a number of months eating only meat except two slices of cheddar so my total carb intake was 1.75 g per day. I could have easily cut thoe out, though.

suzanneyea 07-09-2013 04:11 PM

I call myself zero carb. Today I ate three burgers for breakfast. Three burgers and an egg for lunch. Seven burgers for dinner. Sometimes I have steak. I only drink water.

readyfredy 07-09-2013 04:36 PM

Wow! Do you worry about getting all your nutrients?

suzanneyea 07-09-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readyfredy (Post 16507195)

No. Gary taubes states that humans do not need carbohydrates. I have eaten this way for ten years now and feel amazing. It works for me. Most people hate it, they need more variety. I have never had much variety in my food.

readyfredy 07-09-2013 04:55 PM

I love it lol that is how I eat too but I always feel like I need to add more veggies at least to get other nutrients (not talking about carbs) but thinks like vitamins and minerals.

suzanneyea 07-09-2013 05:01 PM

Taubes explains why you do not need vegetables, but I cannot explain it all. I certainly have nothing against vegetables, but given the choice between a burger or a salad, I prefer the burger.

Emily-D 07-09-2013 05:47 PM

How big are the burgers you eat? Approximately how many calories and grams of protein do you have in a day? Do you ever eat differently, such as dinner with friends or holiday dinners with family?

suzanneyea 07-09-2013 06:01 PM

No, I eat this way year round. We had guests to night. They ate beef and broccoli and I ate my burgers. I am weird. You have to be in order to eat this way cause people are going to stare.
I do not track my food, but in NYC I eat bubba burgers cause the ground beef is too lean there. I ate about four burgers, three times a day. Each burger had about 300 calories and 30 grams of fat.
I almost had a heart attack. So, I never track my food. Needless to say, I eat a lot!
Again, zero carb is a miserable existence for most people. I am just the weirdo who loves it.

Emily-D 07-09-2013 06:11 PM

I'm trying to understand this. Are you saying you eat 12 or 13 300 calorie burgers per day?

And what did you mean about almost having a heart attack?

lilbeetle 07-09-2013 06:11 PM

You might want to look at the meat and egg fasters thread

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...st-anyone.html

suzanneyea 07-09-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16507331)
I'm trying to understand this. Are you saying you eat 12 or 13 300 calorie burgers per day?

And what did you mean about almost having a heart attack?

Yes, that is what I eat.
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the fat and calories. I eat 3000 calories a day. It was a tad shocking to see that reality. I know calories should not matter on low carb, but after decades of low fat and ww...it is hard to really believe it.
Now, at home I make my own burgers. So, I have no idea how many calories or fat, but it is a lot.

Big_Al 07-09-2013 06:29 PM

I am pretty low carb but not zero.

I hate veggies so these are typical selections I choose from:

* eggs / bacon / sausage / cheese for breakfast

* Chicken (wings or thighs) / Salmon / Shrimp / Cheese / Nuts of some sort for Lunch

* Dinner is similar to Lunch

Add in occasional nuts as snacks and then some wine or MG64 and that is my carbs for the day. But I also drink Bourbon when I feel my carbs are getting high (over 10 net carbs).

Been doing this for a few years now without problems. Currently re-assessing my weight target/goal as I gained weight when I started a P90 exercise routine that is due to muscle mass (waist size went down even though I gained 5 pounds).

Mistizoom 07-09-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readyfredy (Post 16507195)

Google "Stefansson experiment" for some interesting info. Stefansson lived among native Inuit people and ate their diet. Neither he nor they were ill, but other Arctic explorers around the same time who ate standard European/American foods they brought with them got ill (scurvy) and died. He and a colleague later replicated this diet locked up in a hospital for a full year to prove that it was a perfectly healthy WOE. There's quite a bit of into about Stefansson in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Eating.

Emily-D 07-09-2013 07:01 PM

Very interesting! I can't imagine being able to eat 3000 calories per day. Even though I'm familiar with Stefansson, it's hard to wrap my head around eating only meat, although I've been very close to that the past week.

floridagirl6 07-09-2013 07:34 PM

Wow! Thanks!

I try to stay under 10 total carbs per day. I also eat mainly meat - but do eat a small amount of veggies - sometimes. However, I do add about 1 tblspn of Hwc to my coffee and sometimes eat eggs and yogurt.

rubidoux 07-09-2013 10:15 PM

I currently have about what you do, usually about 7-12 g of carb/day. Today will be a low day as I've had only HWC (1.5 g) and 2 burgers (0 g) and 3 ounces cheddar (<3 g). Usually I'll have some avocado or some minced onion in scrambled eggs. Eggs w onion and a little cheese is about the biggest carb meal that I have.

Suzanne, I am so jealous that you don't get sick of your burgers. Do you have anything on/in them at all? Spices? Mustard? Salt? I felt great when I stuck to just plain meat, but I did hit a wall w it. I may try it again sometime, though. The more I see food as fuel and not entertainment, the better off I am.

Lola Bartez 07-10-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridagirl6 (Post 16507037)

I'm on my second stint of zero carb. the first one lasted 6 months and i don't know why I stopped. I was losing weight steadily, no hunger, my HDL / total cholesterol ratio was 2, my triglycerides low, blood pressure good, receeding gums healed etc etc. I went back home for christmas and ate everything - it took two years to pile the weight back on and more until I decided to return to zero carb a few months ago. I had lost weight eating low carb but had stalled - I ALWAYS stall on low carb. I get to a point where it just doesn't work for me. I hope this time that I will continue zero carb for ever - despite being a 'foodie' and missing the act of cooking elaborate meals it suits me to eat this way.

So, to answer your question I eat beefburgers, butter, some chicken, a small amount of coconut oil and lots of eggs. That's it. You find with ZC that the more you eat just meat - the more you want to eat just meat. I LOVE my pound of burgers each day - I enjoy every single mouthful.

I drink water and mint tea and some coffee (which I'm trying to stop). I have never been into artificial sweeteners or sweet fizzy drinks

I've lost 24 lbs since mid February this year pretty painlessly - never get uncontrollable cravings and am never hungry more than twice a day when I eat as much as I like

suzanneyea 07-10-2013 03:29 AM

Most of the time I grill my burger, crispy outside, raw to rare inside. Tons of sea salt. Yet, this past month I have been pan frying them with a few sunny side up eggs. I go through phases with mustard too.
When I ate low fat, I basically ate the samething everyday. My dad was the same way. He lived here and for 4 years he ate the exact same breakfast and lunch. Neither us of us seem to like variety.
For years I did have one teaspoon of cream in my coffee too. I have no rules. If I wanted cauliflower, I would eat it. Same for cheese. I just never really want it.

Trigger828 07-10-2013 05:18 AM

I think 'zero' carb is when you are under 10 nc about. no one can go zero carb. even an egg has trace carbs.

zero carb to me is when you definitely avoid foods above trace amounts. keeping you extremely low in total carbs for the day.

I do the meat and eggs when I want to shift weight fast. it works but I am a variety gal and no way I can consist on meat only in my life. I JUST make it into the 3rd day with meat and eggs than I have to throw veggies/salad into the mix.

this is an interesting thread!

Cali girl 07-10-2013 05:31 AM

I tried to eat just meat one day, I ate 3 eggs mashed with mayo and for dinner I had 3 chicken legs. The next day I had diarrhea so bad. I was afraid to do it again. I wonder if this is normal when you start, and if it goes away.

suzanneyea 07-10-2013 07:25 AM

Zero carb is like any other low carb plan. Try it, see if you like it and if it works for you. Just because I love it and get results does not make it a panacea.
The first few weeks of zc can be rough, just like induction.I think you would have to do more than one day to test it though.

Aomiel 07-10-2013 07:58 AM

Wow...I can't imagine eating only protein! Vegies are the only thing that keep me sane! Plus, as a diabetic, that much protein (I'm limited to 4-5 oz per meal) would negatively impact my BG. :sad:

Mistizoom 07-10-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16508104)
Wow...I can't imagine eating only protein! Vegies are the only thing that keep me sane! Plus, as a diabetic, that much protein (I'm limited to 4-5 oz per meal) would negatively impact my BG. :sad:

If done right it is a very high fat diet, not very high protein.

suzanneyea 07-10-2013 08:17 AM

I live in Quebec. So, what did people here eat a thousand years ago? I assume it was mostly high fat meat. Not a lot grows naturally here. Most fruit is genetically modified now. Apples are not natural that size.

Cali girl 07-10-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16508027)
Zero carb is like any other low carb plan. Try it, see if you like it and if it works for you. Just because I love it and get results does not make it a panacea.
The first few weeks of zc can be rough, just like induction.I think you would have to do more than one day to test it though.

I would like to last longer than one day, but I also had a stomach ache.:sad: Will try again maybe on a weekend.

suzanneyea 07-10-2013 09:02 AM

For the record, I think a low carb diet is a better choice. Humans are omnivores.