Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Fat/Protein Numbers

I'm sure this has been asked before and I have searched in many different ways for the answer without results.

Now I come to my wonderful LCFs to see if YOU know the answer to this question:

Should fats and protein numbers for the day be close to an equal amount? Example: 105 grams fat/106 grams protein.

Is this right? If not, what would be the right combo of numbers?

Thanks!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Wouldn't it depend on what plan one is following?
Are you asking for generic Atkins?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
That's a big question.

Atkins folks will tell you to eat to satisfaction, building your plate with 4-6 oz cooked protein, a nice veg selection, and the use of oils plus the limited cheeses, butter, and cream choices. THe Atkins site shows menus including a tbl of olive oil for a salad, so definitely not a low fat plan. The key is to eat to satisfaction and not beyond, using the approved foods.

The nutritional ketosis folks will say you need to figure out how much protein your body needs (mine is 80-90 g, at 5'3 and 165 lbs/130 lb goal). Then add what carbs you can eat with no problems(20 to 60 gm) and then get the rest of your required calories from fat, balancing satisfaction and a caloric deficit while you want to lose weight and going up higher in calories from fat when you're in maintanence. I eat around 90-100 g fat a day but my appetite isn't really high and I might be undereating fat by a little.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Wouldn't it depend on what plan one is following?
Are you asking for generic Atkins?
Yes, a generic Atkins type LC diet.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

Okay, I put a typical Atkins Induction day into a tracker.

I used the meal guidelines from the atkins site, used 4 oz cooked meat portions, and cheese for a snack along with butter, oil, and salad dressing, and I got:

100.7 g fat
15.8 carbs
90.7 g protein

about 1350 cal. that might be a bit low, so I amped up the meat servings and got:

1450 cal
107 fat
102 pro
15.8 carbs.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Okay, I put a typical Atkins Induction day into a tracker.

I used the meal guidelines from the atkins site, used 4 oz cooked meat portions, and cheese for a snack along with butter, oil, and salad dressing, and I got:

100.7 g fat
15.8 carbs
90.7 g protein

about 1350 cal. that might be a bit low, so I amped up the meat servings and got:

1450 cal
107 fat
102 pro
15.8 carbs.
This is the example I was looking for, thank you so much! So equal or close to equal fat/protein grams are fine? For some reason I thought protein needed to be less? Can't remember, been a LONG time since I did a "real" LC WOE.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

For me, I do a bit more fat than protein, but they aren't too far apart.

I'd say plan your portions out as best you can using the guidelines of 4-6 oz meat per serving, and then if you get hungry/less satisfied, add a bit more fat instead of more protein.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Beeb, what I've been reading that it can be an issue to overeat protein, but we should take care to eat an adequate amount. That amount will vary among people. It seems there is a bit of leeway. You can eat more and then adjust downward if you are not getting the results you want, or start towards the low end and make up the caloric difference with fat. Carbs stay low. How low is your choice, too. I am still working this out for myself, so thanks emel for your calculations and generosity in sharing them. My learning continues . . . . .
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
For me, on strict 2002 by-the-book DANDR induction (extended, in this case) I'm eating about 1850 calories, with 153 grams of fat, 105 grams of protein, and 20 total grams of carbs on a normal day. That gives me a 73/22/4 percentage breakdown. I do best on 65-70% of my dietary calories coming from fat.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #10

I am not doing induction, per say, but am keeping my carbs to about 30/40 grams for the next 2 weeks to "clean out" my system from all the yuck I have stuffed into myself since last summer!

Today my numbers came in like this: (I subtract fiber, always have)

Fat(g) Carbs(g) Fiber(g) Net C(g) Prot(g)
113.30 58.50 27.0 31.50 98.72

I am happy with these numbers, feel far less hungry today and tonight than I have in months, less Fibro pain tonight, and more awake/more energy.

I have an upset stomach and some dizziness but I expected far worst than this my first day away from carbs. I am not hungry but because of my binging issue I am "head hungry" and I'm doing things to ignore this. So far so good and looking toward the positive with LC again!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #11

Beeb, for my experience it is not good to restrict food quantities at first. (this applies to persons with eating disorders).
For the first week, I practiced eating the right kinds of food, and I practiced eating to satisfaction.

I think it is very important for you to nourish yourself throughout the day so you don't get empty when evening time comes.

For me, it was very important to include an optional snack for evenings. But you need to figure out for yourself whether that works for you.

And, as always, don't forget that you need extra salt, magnesium, and potassium for a low-carb style of eating. So get some full-salt broth or bouillon and have two cups a day. I use supplements for the potassium and magnesium (slowmag is good. or one of those calcium/magnesium/zinc supplements. And just the cheapie 99 mg potassiums---take 4 of them, and if you feel like you're getting leg cramps, take 4 more with a serving of high salt broth.

HEart/BP patients should check with their doctor about potassium.

Last edited by emel; 07-10-2013 at 03:14 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Beeb, for my experience it is not good to restrict food quantities at first. (this applies to persons with eating disorders).
For the first week, I practiced eating the right kinds of food, and I practiced eating to satisfaction.

I think it is very important for you to nourish yourself throughout the day so you don't get empty when evening time comes.

For me, it was very important to include an optional snack for evenings. But you need to figure out for yourself whether that works for you.

And, as always, don't forget that you need extra salt, magnesium, and potassium for a low-carb style of eating. So get some full-salt broth or bouillon and have two cups a day. I use supplements for the potassium and magnesium (slowmag is good. or one of those calcium/magnesium/zinc supplements. And just the cheapie 99 mg potassiums---take 4 of them, and if you feel like you're getting leg cramps, take 4 more with a serving of high salt broth.

HEart/BP patients should check with their doctor about potassium.
Thanks for the supplement tips, I never thought of them!! Will use your ideas about the broth, I love broth, and the vitamins.

What is really weird is I wasn't restricting anything mindfully yesterday. I, too was a bit surprised that the carbs were so low when I looked at the end of the day, but I just ate veggies, meat and dairy and there is where they landed! And I did start out with the idea to eat as much as I wanted but found I was "full" and just didn't want to eat more! <<< THIS is a first in a VERY long time!!

I totally agree with you that restriction is going to get me in trouble BUT yesterday was not about restriction for me for some reason. My head saw it as "eating clean" again and it was just fine. <<< THIS I'm just loving right now!

Last edited by Beeb; 07-10-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #13

YOu sound like a poster child for Dr Eric Westman lol

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...no-starch.html

Specifically posts #1 and #10.

(his carbs are a touch lower, but you get the idea and I think you're fine where you're at)

Last edited by emel; 07-10-2013 at 07:23 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
My fat grams are always higher than my protein grams. I make sure to get enough protein, limit carbs as much as I can, and fill in the rest with fat. I have to eat lower carb than you do.

Yesterday I ate 79.2 grams of protein, 106.7 grams of fat, 13.7 grams of carbs with 5.1 grams of fiber (8.6 net). That came to 1351 calories, which is more than I've been eating the past week. My carbs are sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

The percentages worked out to 71% fat, 25% protein, 4% carbs.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #15

Quote:
YOu sound like a poster child for Dr Eric Westman lol

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...no-starch.html

Specifically posts #1 and #10.

(his carbs are a touch lower, but you get the idea and I think you're fine where you're at)
Thanks for this! It's very interesting and much like most LC WOE. I do see where it says no flavored yogurt and then it says no yogurt at all. I'm a little confused by this. No matter, though because I eat Greek yogurt a couple of times a week, 8 carbs or less and will continue to do so. I think yogurt is a great source of calcium, fat and protein and a good food to eat.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
My fat grams are always higher than my protein grams. I make sure to get enough protein, limit carbs as much as I can, and fill in the rest with fat. I have to eat lower carb than you do.

Yesterday I ate 79.2 grams of protein, 106.7 grams of fat, 13.7 grams of carbs with 5.1 grams of fiber (8.6 net). That came to 1351 calories, which is more than I've been eating the past week. My carbs are sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

The percentages worked out to 71% fat, 25% protein, 4% carbs.
I'm a work in progress and will probably mess around with the numbers. My aim right now is to heal, physically and mentally, and if I restrict too much I'm ending down a twisted path that I've tried to get off of for the last year+.

I would love to see one of your menus, if you can. It will help me to see where you are getting your proteins and fats from, give me a better idea. If you don't feel this is something you want to do I totally understand.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Can I join you Beeb? I am so out of control with the sweets. I know strict low carb for me is hard to stick to, but I also know that it did help me to get to my goal weight two years ago. I don't know exactly why I regained the weight, but I suspect some hormonal things were going on as I got really depressed and hungry all the time.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, for breakfast I typically have leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Chicken, steak, or whatever. If that's not available, I'll have eggs. Lunch might be more leftovers, an ounce of macadamia nuts, or an avocado with apple cider vinegar.

When I have homemade broth available, I'll have a cup of that during the day.

Sometimes my breakfast is just a hot cocoa made with water, cocoa powder, stevia, and heavy cream. In that case, lunch would be the meat or eggs.

Dinner is a meat, salad with apple cider vinegar and olive oil (or macadamia oil if I have it), and a vegetable.

If I need a snack, it might be macadamia nuts, a tablespoon of coconut oil, a slice of cheese, or even a tablespoon of sour cream.

If I'm hungry, I eat something, unless it's right before bed. I try not to eat more than I need.

Now that I've typed this out, I see that it looks very restrictive, but it doesn't feel that way. I try to remember the quote that someone posted, "willpower is remembering what you want."

I treat myself to strawberries (with cream) when I want them. On those days, obviously my carbs are a lot higher.

I gave up aspartame (nutrasweet) and sucralose (Splenda) a while back. My sweeteners of choice, when I need them, are stevia, erythritol, and sometimes xylitol.

For me, this way of eating is for improved health as well as for weight, and that helps my motivation.
Emily-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I should mention that once in a while I'll have bacon for breakfast or a Jay Robb protein shake for lunch.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My protein comes in around 90 and my fats at about 120-130. Carbs are 25gm.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Can I join you Beeb? I am so out of control with the sweets. I know strict low carb for me is hard to stick to, but I also know that it did help me to get to my goal weight two years ago. I don't know exactly why I regained the weight, but I suspect some hormonal things were going on as I got really depressed and hungry all the time.
It's good to see you!! I have to say that even after only 1 day of clean, LC I am feeling so much better. And eating clean (no homemade products, no SF stuff, no sweetener at all) is making all the difference, I can tell already. I know that once I eat something that says "sweet", be it real or SF I'm done for.

I had Greek yogurt this morning with walnuts and usually I put cinnamon and sweetener in there. I left out the sweetener and I'm still doing well, no hunger to speak of at the moment. I KNOW the sweetener would have had me wanting to eat again after an hour! I am also upping my fats today, less protein, to see what happens. Using coconut oil in my coffee to start this process. Will see how it goes at the end of the day!

Thank you all for your informative posts and for giving me your numbers and a menu example. I have to stay away from the "sweet" taste right now. I KNOW this is a trigger. I am upping the fat today to see what happens. I'm thinking if I do the carbs will be naturally lower? Like I said to Jeaniem....will see how it goes, how I feel and my hunger level today and tonight!

Last edited by Beeb; 07-10-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I would love to see one of your menus, if you can. It will help me to see where you are getting your proteins and fats from, give me a better idea.
My days don't vary much...

B: 2 eggs (cooked in about a tsp of butter) and 1 oz cooked bacon
L: 2 cups mixed baby spinach and spring greens with 4 oz ham or turkey, hard boiled egg and 1 slice bacon with 2 Tbs homemade italian dressing (half is olive oil)
D: 4 oz protein, 1 cup cooked vegies (usually sprinkled with parmesan or garlic butter)

If I do get hungry between meals or am having BG issues, I'll eat a hard boiled egg or 2 oz of hard cheese or drink one of my low carb/low cal protein drinks.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I am moving toward simplicity too. Far easier to track food eh?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

I gave up artificial sweeteners years ago so unfortunately in my case that has not helped me not to binge. I am really going to try the traditional higher fat/moderate approach again though and see how it goes. I started the mct oil yesterday as well and hope to get into ketosis quickly. I noticed today after only eating a couple ounces of steak that I felt a bit nauseated and so I think that is a good sign.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I noticed today after only eating a couple ounces of steak that I felt a bit nauseated and so I think that is a good sign.
I don't think it's ever a good sign to feel nauseated. It also reminds me of Kimmer and the pain she caused so many people.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I don't think it's ever a good sign to feel nauseated. It also reminds me of Kimmer and the pain she caused so many people.
Really??
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Why do you think it's a good sign to be nauseated?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

I have read here that many people feel nauseous and lose their appetite when they are in ketosis.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Many people have appetite suppression. The only time I remember reading about nausea was when Kimmer was spouting her dangerous advice.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know what plan you're following, but I've read a lot of books and articles about low carb eating, and I've never seen anything that said nausea was a good sign.