Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
A fat fast is eating 1000 calories a day at 90% or more fat, for like 3 days.
and no more than 1000 calories?

So, basically butter, coconut oil, and what else? I guess fat cut off of meat would / could work.... I shall google.... google is a person's best friend!
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
and no more than 1000 calories?

So, basically butter, coconut oil, and what else? I guess fat cut off of meat would / could work.... I shall google.... google is a person's best friend!
He suggests breaking up the 1000 calories into 4 or 5 meals, and suggests things like cream cheese and macadamia nuts. So you could basically eat a tub of cream cheese a day.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Yes, I have my copy of Atkins 1992 handy here and he suggests four or five servings of cream cheese and/or macadamia nuts throughout the day. The day's allotment is 1000 calories.

10 oz cream cheese = 1000 calories
5 oz macadamia nuts = 1000 calories

So you can do any combination of the two that equals 1000 calories.

But also,

2 oz of sour cream with 1 TBS caviar, served over three or four pork rinds
2 deviled egg halves (yolks), on pork rinds or a thin slice of soya bread
2 oz of chicken or egg or ham or shrimp salad made with triple the usual amount of mayo
1 oz of the above served in half an avocado
2.5 oz of whipped heavy cream artificially sweetened with ground vanilla beans

etc

He also recommends two days, and less than five days max. It's not meant to be a weight loss trick, it's meant to convert the metabolically resistant over to fat-burning.

Last edited by Aquarius; 07-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: more details
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

You know what? I saw a video with Dr. Attia, and he eats 90% fat every day, but he eats 4500 calories a day, most days.....

I think I could handle 3 days at 1000 calories.... I just saw a link on google where Dana Carpender lists several ways to get 1000 calories with 90% fat.

I think I need a few days to wrap my head around around this, but as long as it doesn't screw with my blood sugars, I can probably handle it...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Yeah, it's a bit extreme, but for a couple of days you can probably handle it. I wouldn't think it would affect your blood sugars in a negative way but you should definitely find out before trying it.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianthus
Note to Garlic: I apologize in advance if I offend you, but you are driving me crazy. If you read all the low carb material, you should know that the body needs water to process carbohydrate molecules. When you eliminate carbs from the diet, your body releases the excess water. It can be several pounds, depending on body mass. All the low carb books talk about this, and we know that part of the initial weight loss is water (the processing plant for carbohydrates.) When you start eating carbs again, even a single meal, the body reserves water for the processing. Several people answered your question, but you don't seem to accept the answer. Your stats say you don't follow a particular plan, so how can you stay "on plan"? You have also stated that you have seen significant benefits over the time you have been low carbing, but no weight loss. We all know that weight fluctuates through the course of a day. If you weigh yourself 10 times a day, you may get 10 different readings. Weight is but one measure of fat loss. You have probably lost fat, which is the goal, but it hasn't showed up on the scale. Do yourself a favor and stop weighing every day. And you probably don't need to do a fat fast at this point. My advice: pick a plan and give it a month to work before you switch to something else. Celebrate your NSVs and lock up your scale.
dianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
Quote:
There are days I eat that way, but most days I eat 1800 - 2200.... and if BMR theory is to be believed, I eat too little.
I read some of your past posts and will make a few comments. First of all, my BMR states that I should have been able to eat 3200-3700 calories a day when I was trying to first lose weight. That was complete crap. I had to drop down below 1500 to get the scale to move. I won't go into the whole rigamaroll about cals in vs cals out, and metabolism, etc... but if you're not losing you can always try to lower calories to see if it makes a difference. I personally only eat twice a day (lunch and dinner) to maximize the amount of time in a full ketogenic state (you sort of suspend it temporarily after consuming food).

Second and more importantly, one of your past posts said that you lost a large chunk of weight on a low calorie diet. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you likely DESTROYED your lean body mass when you did that. Which means your BMR is essentially worthless as a number since you likely lowered your lean body mass below average on that eating pattern. (this is one of the strongest contributing factors to yo-yo dieting) If you are REALLY commited to this, and want a really accurate picture of your health and progress I suggest you find a local health facility that can measure your body fat percentage usnig the "Bod Pod" system. COSMED - BOD POD: Body Composition for adults and children That way you can get a before and after picture to measure more accurate progress.

My guess is that you're probably returning to an equilibrium of lean body mass to support your current activity level and body composition. But of course this is just speculation on my part assuming your menus and scales are accurate. I've never known a single person that when following a strict low carb lifestyle appropriately who couldn't lose weight. It might just take time, and believe me, I've lost 100 pounds in the past using a low calorie diet, which I gained most of it back, and then lost a large portion of it again with a low carb diet, and keeps me looking and feeling healthier.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

You don't offend me, but if I drive you crazy, why bother reading my posts?

Also, I did not lose any water weight when I started 6 weeks ago. Not a pound. But my water was most likely gone from the 60 pounds I had already lost. So it was surprising to me to gain 8 pounds in one week, and lose it all in 4 days - which, I did believe to be water, but eight pounds of water from one meal seemed rather excessive to me.

Taking this low carb thing as serious as I have been - and for ME this has been super serious - what I am really trying to do here is find similar experiences more than very specific answers. If you can't tell by now, I lack confidence that I can do what you are all doing so well.

I will be cutting back my questions here, but not leaving... Weight loss or not, I "have" to be low carb.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Garlic,slow down . No one is doing well ,because one cannot do!! No magic formula other than low carb. It is what it is. Brimmy might well be right with his assumption, but if you keep arguing about water/no water how everyone else does it, if salt on your shoes helps, you will miss the forest for the trees. You are not doing anything wrong, something is not working for you. You need to find it .Big difference between the two. Assume something you have been told is right according to gut feeling and run with it. I personally think a structure from a plan would do you good and take some stress off.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Garlic do not cut back ever on asking questions. who cares if some think you are typing too much. others are here to help.

MANY and I mean MILLIONS have trouble finding that exact situation to make it all work. most can jump on lc and lose fast. others are like you in not moving much at all.

YOU have to work out the kinks. and there are many in big eating changes.

I also believe your body is adjusting.

Are your shirts looser? pants? anything to give you an indication you are on the right path??

I also think it is time to cut back calories. Brimmy is someone who can help you for sure because it took his body time to adjust and he is continuing on his journey.

when a persons body has challenges, it takes time to heal. your body might be doing just that before letting go of some weight.

YOU STAY STRONG GARLIC!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
So it was surprising to me to gain 8 pounds in one week, and lose it all in 4 days - which, I did believe to be water, but eight pounds of water from one meal seemed rather excessive to me.
ok---8 LBS IS NOT EXCESSIVE

believe me when I say we all can do this. I can gain 5-6 lbs in one night in a blink of an eye----and that is with eating 'not so badly' --- I could gain 8-10 eating pizza in a minute.

and lose it extremely fast also. it seems excessive but for me, pizza crust is loaded with sodium, so is the cheese, and of course the pepperoni and everything else I have on it. so much sodium my eyeballs float

this can be normal. I know
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Good post Trigger.
Garlic don't cut back on questions. We all know how difficult it is to be stuck. What we are telling you youis that you need more specific questions.
Read my diary. You will die of boredom of the same 3 ozs gained/ lost until I found something that helped me a little,not all that much.Try magnesium supplements if you cannot think of anything at all.Most people are deficient in that . It is a start.
Animo !
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
The reason we are driven nuts is that you are so close to getting all of this right, but you're just far enough away from optimal that your results are unsatisfying.

I want you to succeed. I KNOW you can do it. You're bullheaded, and that can be a good thing----bulldog your way down to lower carbs from a well-crafted food list of a known plan. Later, when you find your groove, you can tweak it to add stuff that works well for you.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
Garlic,
Like you I also did Atkins "back in the day" and lost all my weight very, very quickly.

Eventually I gained it back.

Before going back on low carb this time (April 2013), I lost 45 pounds on low fat/constant exercise. But I couldn't maintain at under 1200 calories and going to the gym every single day.

So I started back on the low carb in April because it's the only thing that ever worked for me. As I said earlier, it took a full two months before the weight started coming off at all. But in the last month, I've suddenly lost 20 pounds.

I think you are doing the right thing by questioning everything and learning the most you can about this WOE. But I also think your body is just adjusting. Others have said that as well and from my experience this time around, that seems to be true.

I'm excited to keep up on your progress!!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #45
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
IMO, the less processed food you consume, the better off you'll be in the long run.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I have been pretty serious in my WOE since restart at the end of March, but it has been a long period of adjustment. I am really just now feeling that I have my WOE clicking for me. I feel great today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? I am trying to be patient and listening what my body is telling me. I hear your frustration, but I'd say take what advice you can and get on with it.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
Quote:
Also, I did not lose any water weight when I started 6 weeks ago. Not a pound. But my water was most likely gone from the 60 pounds I had already lost. So it was surprising to me to gain 8 pounds in one week, and lose it all in 4 days - which, I did believe to be water, but eight pounds of water from one meal seemed rather excessive to me.
FYI a gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds, and if you add in the water contained in the foods you eat, it's extremely possible a single day can cause that high of a swing. Personally I've been low carbing for quite a while now, and the other night I went to the ballpark and it was catered by one of my company's partners so I ate a hotdog with bun, some chips, a cookie, and some brownies. I went from 246 to 254 pounds from that single meal. Then today I was back down to 247 pounds, and will probably drop the remainder by tomorrow morning. It's just the way these things work. I'd say depending on someone's weight a single meal can cause water weight between 2 and 12 pounds. It has to do with the way your body instantly grabs onto any moisture in any foods you eat, as well as every bit of liquid you drink.

Don't worry about these large swings, it's scientifically impossible to gain 8 pounds of ANYTHING except water unless you are in an eating competition, or ate some of Willy Wonka's gum. You sound very dedicated and as long as you keep it up, the scale will eventually move, the clothes will become looser, and you'll start to notice changes. Like I said before, cut a few extra calories per day to see if that helps any, or like someone else suggested, go on a fat fast. I did that for 3 days once by eating macadamia nuts and cream cheese, and while it was hard, it got the job done in moving the scale. Good luck!
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote