Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bosco0633
WOE: atkins induction
running out of options

Hello everyone,

I have struggled with 20 to 30 lbs of extra weight since I was young. I have done every diet known to man. I use to be in great shape, working out constantly.

I have had great success in weight watchers and was able to keep all of my weight off for a very long time, counting points.

I put those 30lbs back on 4 years ago and I have struggled ever since with them. I did atkins 2 years ago for 6 months and dropped all of it. I felt good on the diet but eventually creeped a cheat meal or two in and wound back up where I started.

I have attempted to follow weight watchers again and find that I cant get back into it.

Is it possible that my body adjusted to LC over 6 months and now eating any type of carbs prevents weight loss???

I have gone a week super clean eating all healthy and not a pound lost. I know if I jump back into LC I will shed the weight super fast, I am not sure that I want this just yet.

My worry is that I know that I will not LC for ever and I will just gain it back. It is amazing the struggle and power that food has over me.

Yesterday I woke up thinking I may give LC another go. I went downstairs and had a banana and a yogurt instead. I thought today I will do better. Took the kids for subway for lunch and had a 6" sub and a few of my sons doritos. Came home and wound up polishing off a bag of chips and 2 beers at night. I start out so well and then fall off the rails.

Every day seems like ground hog day with normal eating. Start out with the best of intentions and find myself out of control in no time.

So as the title suggests, im out of options. I really dont want to go back to LC but.......... I know it works for me.
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
In My opinion yes if you go Back to eatting bad whether you lost weight on LC or WW or whatever you Will gain it back. LC is the Only way I can lose weight and Keep it off. I've tried all the other "diets" nutri-system, jenny, ww, hcg, low fat, low calorie. Etc.. And with lc I lose weight and I don't feel deprived. I don't just eat lc for weight loss/ control but for my Health. I can't make you go back to LC No one can if that's not what you want. It has to be something that works for You and "clicks" with you to work. Believe me sweetie I tried LC at Least 3 other times with sucess just to derail myself and go back to HC junk. This time (Thank God) it has clicked and I Love it

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I really didn't want to face a life without bread, cake, chips..........etc.. At the time, I just knew that if I continued on the path that I was on, my weight was going to continue to get worse. I guess I hit the proverbial 'rock bottom' of carb addiction. I just didn't know it at the time.

Maybe you could benefit from reading a book on the issue? I would suggest Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sounds you in a bit of a holding pattern, Bosco, but unfortunately to me it sounds like it's one that might lead to weight gain. I know for me how the stars had to align (figure of speach) in order to restart. Do you have an alternative to LC in mind? Lots of good plans and support for them on this forum. I am wrapping my head around coming up with a plan that I can follow for the long term. My days of eating certain foods are in my past. I know I can eat them but I am choosing not to, just not worth it. And I am finding that I am not missing them very much. Of course some days and some situations will challenge. I'd encourage you to start again, but really that has to be your decision. I would not go back three months for anything right now. Others will chime in here, but do please continue the conversation. It sounds like it might help you. Wishing you the best.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
This is just speculation.

But you say you did well with Weight Watchers and you did well with low carb, but then gained it back after returning to standard american eating.

I wonder if you're one of those middle of the road persons who can tolerate some carbs, as evidenced by your weight watchers success.

I think if it was me, I'd do low carb to knock the weight off, following an Atkins OWL-type plan (20 carbs induction for a couple weeks or more, then ease carbs up 5 g per week until you find the level you stop losing at. That number is very individual--- it could be 35, could be 60, could be more.

So, you lose the weight on low carb but not necessarily at induction levels for the whole time.
Then you experiment with how many carbs you can eat to maintain after you're at goal weight.

The other alternative, in my opinion, is to do the low carb thing for loss, and then gradually ease over to a lower fat, moderate carb, moderate protein plan with the appropriate amount of calories for you to maintain.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianthus
I feel your pain, Bosco. I am firmly committed to a low carb way of life as a means to control my appetite, my health and my weight, but I fall off the wagon every once in a while. Sometimes I am off for months, and during those off times, I feel out of control and helpless to get back on the low carb path. I can wake up every single day thinking that I will be back to low carb, but I lose focus and indulge, much like the day you describe. When I do get back, firmly entrenched in a low carb way of life, I cannot imagine how I let myself wander about for months, eating junk and gaining weight. I believe that taking in excess carbs clouds your brain function. The very best thing for me about low carb, is the sense of control over my life that I feel. How to get from where you are to where you want to be is the sticking point. Over several years of being on and off low carb, I recognize and accept that lc is the best for me. I also accept that I may stumble, but I am confident that I will return to low carb when I am ready. I have stopped thinking about low carb as a weight loss tool. It is really how I want to live. I wish you luck on your journey.
dianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
Hello everyone,
My worry is that I know that I will not LC for ever and I will just gain it back..

Low carb isn't magic. It is like any other eating plan. Follow it and you lose weight. Go back to your old habits and you will gain it all back.

If you like low carb, then do low carb. When you stop low carbing, you aren't going to magically gain it all back...unless you go back to your old eating habits...and then the same will happen even if you're doing weight watchers, counting calories or any type of diet.

I lost 70 pounds in 3 months and then stopped low carbing. Sure I went back to a high carb diet, but I paid attention to the scales, the quantity of food I was eating and the kinds of food I was eating. I didn't just go back to my old habits. If I had, I would've gained it all back...as I would have if I'd done WW or other diets.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotmama_007
Stats: 200/191/135
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7/8/2013 - Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianthus View Post
The very best thing for me about low carb, is the sense of control over my life that I feel.
This is so true... Sadly, I've never actually lost weight on LC. Not because it doesn't work but because I've let those slips control my life. The proverbial "rock bottom" is here now when I realize that the emotional and psychological difficulty of dealing with a total lack of control around food is even worse than being overweight. If nothing else, I want to feel like I am the captain of my own ship. It always comes back to LC to regain that control.
hotmama_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I low carbed, lost weight, went back to my old eating habits (slowly, but still), and gained the weight back. The funny thing is, I never had an attitude of "I can't do this forever" when I started. I was A-OK with the idea of not being able to eat bread or pasta except in the most special of circumstances, for the rest of my life. I know I have some form of addiction to carbs in the sense that once I start eating them, I overeat them, so I had decided to severely limit them to maintain. But the abundance of bad carbs out there and our collective obsession with them just ate away at my resolve.

As difficult as it was for me with that mindset, I would be reluctant to advise you to do low carb for weight loss if you are already dreading the idea of going without carbs for any extended period of time. As others have said, if you go back to eating what you are, you will gain the weight back. Low carb is not the best long-term option for some people.

There are plans like South Beach that allow more carbs, you might want to consider those. My advice is look at the whole plan, including maintenance, and decide from the start whether or not it is something you can commit to. Because it is a lifelong thing.

I don't have much experience with other forms of diet for weight loss except Atkins, other than they never worked for me, so I can't advise you much with choices.

Good luck whatever you chose to do.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
bosco, I am moderate carb. I do eat bread. I eat the Sara Lee 45 cal. delight. 2 slices is 12 net carbs. I do not eat it every single day but, maybe 2 times a week. It makes a huge difference to me to be able to eat some sandwiches when I want. Like a true BLT--YUM!

I am lucky I am the middle of the road but I noticed when I hit into the 50-60 NC range I didn't lose as well. So now I am staying in the 30-40 NC range.

my body does well to lose in that range. calories count for me also.

I checked into a weight loss calculator. On the JUDDD forum someone mentioned TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. I put in my weight at GOAL. Use your goal weight to see what cals. you need to eat to maintain that weight. then you eat that or a tad less and I started losing weight again. at 165 I can eat 1998 cals. and maintain a weight of 165.

So what I do now is eat a bit under 1998 and I eat a controlled carb. it is very easy to do actually. I can plan in alot more food that I would 'normally' give up with strict LC.

But this works well for my body. I can handle a bit more carbs and lose. Some people truly can't do this. I have found that if I stay within reasonable limits of what the normal way is to lose weight, I can get there. Basically it is WW. I eat higher fats and cut back on carbs one day, and when I decide to eat a higher carb limit day, like 50 range, I make sure I cut back on higher fat.

thing is it gives me options. I sure need options. I can't follow one strict rule. I have to make it all work for me

I hope some of this helps you. It is a rough road finding what fits you personally.

so the key is finding that right balance for you personally.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
When I'm in high carb land, the addiction to wheat tries to convince me that I can't and don't want to do low carb. But once I get started, less than 3 days in and it's so effortless because it's the only time I have a low appetite and don't obsess over wheat and sugar.

You don't have to stick to low carb forever. You can low carb while losing, then in maintenance, go to a moderate carb, low sugar and gluten diet. You'll still be able to adapt anything to your plan, and the lack of sugar and gluten should keep cravings down.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
I have gone a week super clean eating all healthy and not a pound lost. I know if I jump back into LC I will shed the weight super fast, I am not sure that I want this just yet.

So as the title suggests, im out of options. I really dont want to go back to LC but.......... I know it works for me.
I guess I'm a bit confused.... super clean eating how? Super clean as in super healthy? (Your statement about jumping back into low carb indicates that it wasn't super clean low carb). Which brings me to my point.... simply eating healthy doesn't equal weight loss. If you're too high on your carbs or protein or fat or overall calories, that could ultimately keep you from losing. So maybe you're not out of options as you believe, especially since you've been able to lose on ww in the past.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Low carb isn't magic. It is like any other eating plan. Follow it and you lose weight. Go back to your old habits and you will gain it all back.

If you like low carb, then do low carb. When you stop low carbing, you aren't going to magically gain it all back...unless you go back to your old eating habits...and then the same will happen even if you're doing weight watchers, counting calories or any type of diet.

I lost 70 pounds in 3 months and then stopped low carbing. Sure I went back to a high carb diet, but I paid attention to the scales, the quantity of food I was eating and the kinds of food I was eating. I didn't just go back to my old habits. If I had, I would've gained it all back...as I would have if I'd done WW or other diets.
and what I have FINALLY figured out, like just today!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
posting to keep track of this thread. Some great ideas on here!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bosco0633
WOE: atkins induction
Thanks for all of the support. Just to clarify for annoymousity, when I referred to clean eating, I was speaking of non atkins. When I follow ww like I use to the scale does not move. I tried playing with my points to try and find the sweet spot, however, I just cant catch the groove.

And I find even following ww that I cant seem to down grade my eating options. When I did atkins I was able to drop it all. Being in Ketosis really assisted me greatly with my appetite so it was easy to stop eating these.

I always loved the idea of doing two weeks atkins with a cheat meal. But I could never get back to atkins after a carb out meal.

I need to figure it out, my mind is saying to go back to atkins as I know it will work. I am frustrated that I cant eat normal and just learn how to stop putting s#%t in my mouth. I get so mad when I look back at the day and say, today I woke up with every intention of making a change in my eating habbits, how did I eat what I did.

Lots of food for thought here, and I just really need to sit back and make the decision on what I want for my lifestyle. The power of food is absolutely insane!!!!!
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
HANG IN THERE Bosco.

you will find that right combination for you.

I know about re-starting a weight loss/eating change plan. It is hard sometimes to get back into the groove. we all go thru this and when we do find a good groove, we best hope the weight does come off.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote