Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   sugar in walmart chicken (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807623-sugar-walmart-chicken.html)

MichelleM 07-08-2013 03:06 PM

sugar in walmart chicken

im just wondering why oh WHY does Walmrt have to put sugar in/on their rotissirie chickens. :dunno:

It still says only 1 carb per serving and im still planning to eat it but...dammm i wonder how much sugar they use and if it is injected into the ckicken or used on the skin.:annoyed:

Natalia 07-08-2013 03:42 PM

It's prob on the skin for flavour and to facilitate browning. I remember somebody telling me Costco rotisserie chicken was basted in Sprite.

DiamondDeb 07-08-2013 04:31 PM

As far as I know all rotisserie chickens contain a few ingredients best avoided. I don't buy them.

Emily-D 07-08-2013 05:30 PM

I've found that with rotisserie chickens at the local supermarkets, as well.

terez 07-08-2013 06:07 PM

My dog loves the skin.

at_last 07-08-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terez (Post 16505698)
My dog loves the skin.

:shake:

I was going to say something to this effect. For me, the convenience and really, the similar cost in buying a whole chicken and roasting it myself, is well worth whatever may or may not be in/on the chicken.

I discard the skin and eat the meat.

mamabat 07-08-2013 09:49 PM

Whole chicken, straight in the crockpot, dry rub of whatever you like, shove a lemon in there to keep it moist - and there ya go! No creepy ingredients, no having to give the dog the skin! ;)

RhondaC 07-09-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabat (Post 16505879)
Whole chicken, straight in the crockpot, dry rub of whatever you like, shove a lemon in there to keep it moist - and there ya go! No creepy ingredients, no having to give the dog the skin! ;)

I pity any dog who tries to eat my chicken skin! That's the best part! :D

at_last 07-09-2013 05:29 AM

I have tried various methods of chicken roasting - in the crockpot it always gets soggy/mushy, even if I use the balled up aluminum foil trick or a rack. Plus I think it has a funny taste from the crockpot.

In the oven the skin gets crispier but the chicken is dried out, not moist and tender like rotisserie.

Rotisserie chicken is the closest I come to eating processed foods - I don't eat any of the premade LC store items, so I'll take my chances with the rotisserie chicken.

Just like anything in life, you weigh the options and choose the best for your own situation. Cudos to those who can make just-like-rotisserie chicken. I never could, so I'll stick with store-bought.

mamabat 07-09-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at_last (Post 16506056)
I have tried various methods of chicken roasting - in the crockpot it always gets soggy/mushy, even if I use the balled up aluminum foil trick or a rack. Plus I think it has a funny taste from the crockpot.

Are you putting liquid in with it? I don't use any liquid, other than the lemon inside the chicken itself, and even then I just kind of pierce the whole lemon and shove it in. Mine always looks and tastes like a rotisserie chicken! Odd that it would get mushy. I'd definitely be grossed out by that too! haha

nolcjunk 07-09-2013 08:27 AM

They need to use all this stuff to make very low quality meat palatable.

I highly recommend getting a Ronco rotisserie and making your own. In 60 mins you can have a chicken roasted to perfection without any crap ingredients added to it. I only use salt to season it and it always comes out great- the skin is crispy and and the meat is juicy and flavorful.

floridagirl6 07-09-2013 08:46 AM

I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot without liquid until done. I think it tastes good and I know exactly what seasonings have been added.

Trigger828 07-09-2013 08:54 AM

I would think used on the skin.

I buy and eat chickens alot. it is a time saver. never found it to impede my weight loss.

I agree with at-last's post, pick and choose your options that fit your needs.

store chickens have helped me alot in this process :)

Natalia 07-09-2013 09:08 AM

Yep, where I live, a raw chicken cost about $2.50 more than a rotisserie chicken, not to mention convenience factor, and having to heat up my house. It may not be perfect, but compared to what I was eating before, a twice a month rotisserie chicken is a gamble I'm willing to take :)