Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   When Did Food Become..... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807608-when-did-food-become.html)

Beeb 07-08-2013 10:30 AM

When Did Food Become.....

such an obsession for me!! I use to never think about food, just ate because I was hungry and sometimes because I knew I just needed to eat something because I "forgot" to eat! :stars:

I woke up this morning asking myself why food is so important now and why I do nothing but think about, obess about, talk about, read about, etc. to try to get a handle on what has happened to me and my relationship with food.

How about you? How is your relationship with food? Are you like me, or have been but have been able to heal your food "thoughts" and now have a good relationship with food? Or do you still struggle like me and others?

Tell us your successes and trials, if you care to share! Maybe it will help! :hugs::shake:

KeirasMom 07-08-2013 10:38 AM

:hugs: This is something I (thankfully) don't struggle with, but wanted to show some support. :hugs:

clackley 07-08-2013 10:55 AM

Beeb! :hiya:

After almost 4 yrs. of vlc (now calling n.k. because I am also moderating protein), I can say that I no longer obsess over food. Don't get me wrong - I still love food and love to plan and shop and cook and eat. That joy remains but I no longer have 'intrusive thoughts of food'.

This is all attributed (in my opinion) to 2 things. !. ketosis and 2. no wheat. End of story.

Sounds simple and it is but getting to this place was hard. If I had known what I know now, it would have been much easier but then again, I feel fairly certain that I would not have believed it.

Everyone's journey is unique but maybe at some point along the way, someone says something that strikes home or maybe it is a series of things that suddenly start to make sense. That is what ultimately was my saving grace - I decided (out of desperation), to look at the possibility that this woe could work.

cfine 07-08-2013 11:32 AM

I'm in the same boat, Beeb. Drives me crazy. I am trying to get back to that good place where Clackley is. I am determined that when I get there, I am going to stay there. I don't know why I fall back into eating crap. When I'm in NK, I don't have obsessive thoughts about food. I can't figure out what exactly makes me think I need to eat cheezits or popcorn!!

Patience 07-08-2013 11:40 AM

I was going to say I don't obsess, but I sure spend a lot of time here!
If I don't really focus, I will fall back into my default no thinking ways, the path of least resistance. So I guess for now I must obsess, more in terms of staying aware and planning. There are so many ways too stray, at least for now I am staying very-food focused. Will be interesting to see where I am this time next year.

PrissyPixie 07-08-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16504984)
such an obsession for me!! I use to never think about food, just ate because I was hungry and sometimes because I knew I just needed to eat something because I "forgot" to eat! :stars:

I woke up this morning asking myself why food is so important now and why I do nothing but think about, obess about, talk about, read about, etc. to try to get a handle on what has happened to me and my relationship with food.

How about you? How is your relationship with food? Are you like me, or have been but have been able to heal your food "thoughts" and now have a good relationship with food? Or do you still struggle like me and others?

Tell us your successes and trials, if you care to share! Maybe it will help! :hugs::shake:

Like you, I use to eat only when hungry and I have gone back to those ways and am now 270 pounds... looks like food is gonna have to be an obsession for me for a while, cooking and watching what I can and cant have... not eating out with friends... im gonna have to be conscious and obsessive over food it's the world we live in.... everywhere is junk and "bad" food.... 3 squares a day and 2 snacks in this day and age will have you 500 pounds.:stars:

Luca 07-08-2013 12:48 PM

I am obsessed-and unfortunately, like others have said, once you "fall off the wagon" it HAS to continue to be an obsession for a while until you get back on track. I have to watch and plan everything I eat for a while to get in that groove again where eating LC is second nature and cravings subside.

It's a struggle for sure.

thatphdguy 07-08-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca (Post 16505210)
I am obsessed-and unfortunately, like others have said, once you "fall off the wagon" it HAS to continue to be an obsession for a while until you get back on track. I have to watch and plan everything I eat for a while to get in that groove again where eating LC is second nature and cravings subside.

I am with you 100%

scalestepper 07-08-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca (Post 16505210)

Ditto! I've noticed that I seem to become unraveled with lack of sleep or when my sleep pattern is interrupted. That's a trigger to regroup and make some changes for me.

Beeb 07-08-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrissyPixie (Post 16505153)
Like you, I use to eat only when hungry and I have gone back to those ways and am now 270 pounds... looks like food is gonna have to be an obsession for me for a while, cooking and watching what I can and cant have... not eating out with friends... im gonna have to be conscious and obsessive over food it's the world we live in.... everywhere is junk and "bad" food.... 3 squares a day and 2 snacks in this day and age will have you 500 pounds.:stars:

BUT I was very thin and stayed that way when I "only ate when I was hungry". It's when I decided I should lose a few pounds and started to "diet" that my eating and obsession with food got out of hand. Seemed the more carbs/calories/time I counted/restricted the more I ate or wanted to eat.

When I ate "intuitively" I ate to feed my hungry and not because something looked good or tasted wonderful I never overate and knew when to stop. AND I only ate what I really wanted, never subbing the thing I wanted for something else just for the fact of eating. Now I'm a bottomless pit with no clue on full or not full! :confused:

Back in the day I didn't even want to eat most times. I could go with one good meal and be very happy and full. Now I don't even know what "full" is! :dunno::sad:

I'm so frustrated with my relationship to food now that I'm :stars:!! I really don't think it's what I'm eating right now as much as me not being able to even figure out WHY I eat and when to STOP!! :sad:

Beeb 07-08-2013 03:36 PM

Double post! Sorry!

Trigger828 07-08-2013 03:58 PM

Food was fun times, great taste. Never an obsession when younger.

the minute food became an obsession for me now was my first 'diet'. and it has been miserable ever since :)

being low/mod. carb for a while now I am 'finally' getting into a more normal eating routine where food isn't on my mind 24/7. only 18/6 now HAHA

lose weight you have to think about what goes in your mouth. how are you going to prepare it? what are you going to buy different at the grocery? you are now limited on food choices? not fair right? then you obsess over replacement foods for the ones you can't eat? and so on and so on.

I am finally getting it with my calorie controlled, carb controlled diet. eat fresh, clean, simple. It loses weight and makes me react easier about food decisions. I know what fresh food is and what simple meals can be. If I stick to that then mostly I don't have to think food all the time.

ugh. it is a struggle. one I sure am working on and gaining just alittle bit of ground in my favor

Blue Skies 07-08-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16505124)
If I don't really focus, I will fall back into my default no thinking ways, the path of least resistance. So I guess for now I must obsess, more in terms of staying aware and planning. There are so many ways too stray, at least for now I am staying very-food focused. Will be interesting to see where I am this time next year.

This is me too Bella. I'm pleasantly not hungry most of the time, because I am in ketosis, but it takes a lot of planning to make and find the foods to keep myself there, AND, for me, not get bored with it. And I was thinking today, like you stated, if this will ever be second nature to me. It's not that it's bad, in fact it's very doable for me for the most part. But can't say it comes naturally. Yet.

Beeb---your second post here got me thinking that you are very sensitive to feelings of deprivation. I think I recognize it because I suffer from that. Big time. In fact, I didn't do induction this time on LC, because I couldn't face that level of deprivation from the get go.

So I backed myself into it at 50 carbs a day (at which point you don't have to be all that deprived) and have ended up at an average of 30 a day. Much of my journey has been finding good subs for some of things I feel deprived of, and that's taken a lot of research and trial and error.

Some here don't like the idea of subs, but they've made this work for me. Also, I'm pretty project oriented, so doing the research and experimenting keeps me interested. Last time on LC, years ago, I lost a lot of weight, but I treated it like a diet and when I reached goal, I slid right off the wagon. I never put the effort into finding out how to make this a woe I could maintain.

This time my approach has made me feel much less deprived. It seems like you need to feel free to make your choices. Perhaps if your goal was just to eat healthy, a little of this a little of that, no restrictions other than good whole foods. Once you do this, maybe the feelings of deprivation and obsession will lessen with the success of just eating healthy, and you'll be able to back yourself into this, rather than try to take it head on?

In any case, best of luck to you, and it's good to know you're far from alone, right? There's a whole site of us here who struggle w/this in one way or another. Hang in there with us, this CAN get better for you. I really believe that.

Mistizoom 07-08-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16505413)
BUT I was very thin and stayed that way when I "only ate when I was hungry". It's when I decided I should lose a few pounds and started to "diet" that my eating and obsession with food got out of hand. Seemed the more carbs/calories/time I counted/restricted the more I ate or wanted to eat.

When I ate "intuitively" I ate to feed my hungry and not because something looked good or tasted wonderful I never overate and knew when to stop. AND I only ate what I really wanted, never subbing the thing I wanted for something else just for the fact of eating. Now I'm a bottomless pit with no clue on full or not full! :confused:

Back in the day I didn't even want to eat most times. I could go with one good meal and be very happy and full. Now I don't even know what "full" is! :dunno::sad:

I'm so frustrated with my relationship to food now that I'm :stars:!! I really don't think it's what I'm eating right now as much as me not being able to even figure out WHY I eat and when to STOP!! :sad:

Have you tried coginitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? It has proven to be effective for bulimia and binge eating disorders.

DiamondDeb 07-08-2013 05:39 PM

For years my first & last thought of the day was about food. I'd even dream about it. That is gone now.

As long as I stick to simple, unprocessed foods and avoid dairy I'm fine & not obsessed.

jhbyrd 07-08-2013 06:20 PM

I am always think about food, when I good or bad!! I HATE it, I wish I had a good relationship with food. I HATE IT I HATE IT but I do not know what to do about it!! Like you I have a binging problems usually at night. I know when it is coming most of the time!!! It really sinks!!!:cry:

Jeannie

llisarray 07-08-2013 07:52 PM

If I could just make myself stop eating when I feel full I would weigh 100 pounds soaking wet !! I must have a clean plate...oh and the fact that there are so many of those,yuck, skinny people (just joking skinny people)who seem as if they can eat any and everything they want!! Ahhhhh, MARBLE SLAB CREAMERY.... I love you !! MSC is just what hit my mind as I was typing. I am without prejudice...I dearly love all food :)

Blue Skies 07-08-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llisarray (Post 16505742)
If I could just make myself stop eating when I feel full I would weigh 100 pounds soaking wet !! I must have a clean plate...oh and the fact that there are so many of those,yuck, skinny people (just joking skinny people)who seem as if they can eat any and everything they want!! Ahhhhh, MARBLE SLAB CREAMERY.... I love you !! MSC is just what hit my mind as I was typing. I am without prejudice...I dearly love all food :)

LOL! I used to be one of those skinny people, and I'm still married to one of them---he of the amazing metabolism. For the first half of my life, as a tall woman, I often had people tell me to "put some meat on your bones." Oh, those were the days. Although I have to say, in looking back at it, I was very self conscious about being skinny. I had no curves, no "womanly" assets. And I ate like a horse. It just never stuck, and I was not happy with how I looked, even though I will NEVER look better than I did then, in terms of body weight.

Then I had a baby, got older and everything changed. LOL, I always suspect my friends from way back smirked a big one the first time I went on a diet.

But it just shows to go you, that most of us are never happy with our bodies. And in this culture of starved models, and even they are photo shopped into perfection, it just gets harder and harder.

For me, I've finally realized I'm never going to have a perfect body, not even close at my age. I just want to be and feel lighter, fleeter, healthier.

Emily-D 07-09-2013 08:20 AM

The only time I was ever obsessed with food was when I was eating a very low fat, low calorie diet. I kept thinking about what I could eat later that day, and I was frequently hungry. I wasn't able to lose weight on that diet, so it was not a good long-term option for me.

The first few weeks on Atkins were difficult, as I felt deprived. Now when I go to the supermarket I'm just amazed at how much sugary, carby junk there is and how many people buy it. It would be great to eat everything I liked while maintaining a perfect weight and enjoying perfect health, but that just isn't going to happen. I try to focus on improving my health and staying at a good weight or losing a bit more.

I now eat to fuel my body and provide myself the best possible chance at good health. I don't always make perfect choices, but I'm making good choices. (For example, I still eat grain fed beef, but I don't eat grains.) I've been very low carb for the past week or so and that seems to help.

Ocean 07-09-2013 09:47 AM

I think about food a lot! It isn't because I worry about it, obsess over my calories or carbs or anything. I just love to eat and I look forward to my next meal.

You know the question "Do you eat to live or live to eat?". I am definitely a live to eat kind of person. When I plan a trip I think about what I am going to eat as much as I think about what I am going to do. My love for food is a big part of why I became overweight to begin with. Now I just channel my love for food into appropriate foods and portions most of the time with the occasional indulgences.

gordita 07-09-2013 09:47 AM

I think about food a lot. There have been rare times in my life where I don't, and it feels like a huge burden lifted off me.

When I'm eating better, I'm still somewhat obsessed with it because I have to pay attention to what I eat.

Beeb 07-10-2013 07:43 AM

I started back to simple LC; LC veggies, meat and dairy and I will say yesterday my thoughts of food became less and less as the day went on!

I'm just happy for this right now! :)

Patience 07-10-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16505762)
For me, I've finally realized I'm never going to have a perfect body, not even close at my age. I just want to be and feel lighter, fleeter, healthier.

This is the stage of life that I am at too. At some point reality sets in. Viewed one way, it's a positive of aging. Feeling lighter resonates with me. That is how a felt yesterday strolling along with pants that were light and loose on my body (unlike when I wore them several months ago). I've got a ways to go to lose more fat (I'll really like to move into a "not overweight" weight), but every day gets me closer to an improved, altho not perfect, me. Never was such a thing of course. I am striving to be "good enough" and hopefull to recognize what that is.

sweetpoison 07-10-2013 12:45 PM

Why do I feel a need to eat all the garbage I can today...... thinking that I will start and be good tomorrow....... I am a 60 year old FOOL..... TOMORROW NEVER COMES and I do this every day.... not happy with me. :(

Beeb 07-10-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpoison (Post 16508548)
Why do I feel a need to eat all the garbage I can today...... thinking that I will start and be good tomorrow....... I am a 60 year old FOOL..... TOMORROW NEVER COMES and I do this every day.... not happy with me. :(

:console: Know all too well how you are feeling today and you are very right, tomorrow never comes UNLESS we plan it that way. I plan now, not what I'm going to eat for the day, but HOW I'm going to manage my food that I may eat; keeping it clean and LC is helping a lot. It's choices still but not restrictive ones like so many calories, eat only low fat, eat at this time/that time, don't eat past ___, and this is making a BIG difference for me!