Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Horrible Mistake :(

I was feeling very down tonight due to some personal issues and I went to Domino's pizza and I ate a whole medium pizza by myself...
It is 3:00 in the morning and I am so bloated I cannot sleep.
Do you guys have any good advice about what to do in regards to getting back into Ketosis? I know that everybody is different but I just want to get some general guidance.
Thank you'all
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I'm sorry! I know that feels crappy. In my experience it is not like starting all over. I get back into ketosis much easier after one cheat meal than I do when starting from scratch. I think you should look at the whole thing as a learning experience. Remember next time when you want to cheat how good the pizza really made you feel (ime, never as good as I expect it to and it is always over so quickly and leaves me just wanting more). But don't beat yourself up about it. Getting back on track quickly is an important skill to have and now you have a chance to practice it!

And as far as getting back in ketosis, just eat lots of fat.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 07-08-2013 at 12:20 AM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Keep calm and carry on.

You could try moderate (not frenzied) exercise/activity/movement to get rid of the glycogen stores the pizza created. Not sure I believe this entirely, and certainly don't do it if it feels like a way to punish yourself for your food choice. But it's worth a shot for the physiological benefit, maybe.

You might get food cravings/feelings of hunger for a couple days after a slip. So plan in some legal, healthful extra foods in case this happens, and don't restrict calories so much that you get caught in a battle of willpower. Just stay on plan, choosing extra protein/fat foods if you find yourself wanting more than usual. It's the carbs, and the feeling should pass once you de-carbify again.

If you beat yourself up about it, I'm gonna yell at you.
Stress is not good for us or for our weight loss, so Keep Calm And Carry On.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I am so sorry to hear you are stressed like that! It happens to all of us at one time or another to different degrees. Rubidoux and emel have some good advice there. It IS important to not beat yourself up about it! What is done is done now you have to just get back on track. Keep the bad feeling you have now of being bloated and feeling crummy and use it in the future when the urge comes again. Maybe you will then cheat with a small size pizza or maybe something more in line with your WOE. If it were me, I would drink a LOT of water over the next couple of days to flush out all the sodium you had in that pizza.

Above all, just accept it happened and move on to a better tomorrow with your WOE.

*hugs*
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #5

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I would go back on a two week nduction. I am sorry you are stressed. What new methods have you found for handling stress?
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
So sorry that you feel badly phd guy -- it is easy to have a slip up when personal issues get you down. Like the other posters said, just follow Induction and should should be back in Ketosis within 48 hours. Just keep it simple with quality protein, healthy fats (oils and butter) and 1-2 cups of salad greens. Good luck-- we are rooting for you!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Everyone gave great advice and encouragement & I'm here to give encouragement and a suggestion...
If you ever get down and crave pizza again, make yourself a crustless pizza. Small baking dish, cover bottom with pizza sauce (I keep a bottle of Ragu pizza sauce in the closet when I "need" a pizza), cover top with cheese, onions, pepperoni and whatever else you get on pizza. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until cheese is brown then let cool about 15 minute. All the good stuff, no bread & it's GOOD!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Guy, I don't discount what you said about "personal issues," but was anything in your diet at work? Did you get hungry yesterday? I think it's always good to at least consider that.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
I've been there - you are not alone in this.

The best advice has already been given to you, which is to get right back to eating clean the next meal. MANY maintainers here have their "off" days. Dr. Atkins was very "one bite will KILL you," but many, many successful people here have had a slip - planned or not - now and again and the trick seems to be to just move on to the next healthy meal.

As for how to stop future emotional eating, I'm learning more and more about that every day on these boards. Hang in there.

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Don't kick yourself about it. Just move forward at Induction levels and you will get back into ketosis. It happens to all of us. This stuff works, but it isn't always easy.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your advice...

The funny part is that I was not craving anything. I just took the car to go for a ride and clear my head, and I ended up in Domino's parking lot eating a pizza by myself in the car like a loser.

I am not one of those guys that beats himself over mistakes. I was very stupidly emotional yesterday and I looked for comfort in food.

The good news is that I weighted this morning and I just gained a pound

As for coming back to induction, I have been in induction for the last 6 weeks. So I guess I just eat as I was eating?

P.D. I am afraid of Emel so I will stay calm and carry on

Last edited by thatphdguy; 07-08-2013 at 08:01 AM..
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #12

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I have faith in you, so I hammer at you hard.
I wish you every success, and I believe you'll do well.

But yeah, you better be afraid of me.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LexieM
WOE: Atkins - Old School 72 Style :)
Start Date: 10/31/2013
Hang in there. Just get back on track and keep moving forward.
I have been struggling with some personal problems/issues too. It has lead me to be off track with eating plan for way too long.
Here's to a better day today!
LexieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, just get back on with it, I say. the trick is that sometimes one splurge like that triggers others. try to protect yourself from particularly tempting situations for a few days at least.

hope your other issues get better *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Everyone gave great advice and encouragement & I'm here to give encouragement and a suggestion...
If you ever get down and crave pizza again, make yourself a crustless pizza. Small baking dish, cover bottom with pizza sauce (I keep a bottle of Ragu pizza sauce in the closet when I "need" a pizza), cover top with cheese, onions, pepperoni and whatever else you get on pizza. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until cheese is brown then let cool about 15 minute. All the good stuff, no bread & it's GOOD!
That sounds really great...Thank you for the recipe
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
HANG IN THERE PHD

it happens to all of us.

my overeating is never planned. never even 'really' thought about. It happens SO FAST and at the oddest times. BUT we all have that 'split second' before when we realize what we are going to do. You, order a medium pizza. In that split second is when we have to jump on it. Have a chat with yourself. That deep down, real truth chat about why you are avoiding these types of foods.

And when that chat doesn't help and I jump into some food, I try to ration it out for normal portions. Get the med. pizza and eat 1/2. Not the whole. Bring it home to someone else OR throw it out. At least that way you have some control over a moment that seems totally out of control it helps me to think of it this way.

just back on plan. lots of water to counteract that sodium and eat LC. ketosis will come back in a few days and all should be fine.
everyone has detours. it is all about how we go about finding our way fast back onto the correct path.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Throwing food away can be empowering, especially if it is really crappy and not good for us.
When giving up my wine (one go around ago), I found that pouring any remainder down the drain was such a good thing to do. The message to me was, this is really not valuable, in fact it is damaging me. I understand how some of these thing happen on automatic pilot, but we can intervene and start changing the pattern. I found the first time I steered my car home after work rather than going to get my wine fix to be a breakthrough of sorts and the second time I made that decision it was easier, the choice became every more clearly conscious. I am thinking avoiding bad food choices, that trip to the pizza palce, might be like that, but what we are doing must enter our conscious mind, we need to be able to observe how we are thinking.
Whatcha think? Of course, there is also the deliberate WTH that can be a downfall, that I am going to do this because I can, because I am entitled or deserving or whatever.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Throwing food away can be empowering, especially if it is really crappy and not good for us.
When giving up my wine (one go around ago), I found that pouring any remainder down the drain was such a good thing to do. The message to me was, this is really not valuable, in fact it is damaging me. I understand how some of these thing happen on automatic pilot, but we can intervene and start changing the pattern. I found the first time I steered my car home after work rather than going to get my wine fix to be a breakthrough of sorts and the second time I made that decision it was easier, the choice became every more clearly conscious. I am thinking avoiding bad food choices, that trip to the pizza palce, might be like that, but what we are doing must enter our conscious mind, we need to be able to observe how we are thinking.
Whatcha think? Of course, there is also the deliberate WTH that can be a downfall, that I am going to do this because I can, because I am entitled or deserving or whatever.
Bella It was really in the spur of the moment...i was driving and I just thought f**** it...When to the pizza parlor and eat the pizza. It took 20 minutes all this process...
I know what youa re saying thou...Throwing things may empower you
Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
HANG IN THERE PHD

it happens to all of us.

my overeating is never planned. never even 'really' thought about. It happens SO FAST and at the oddest times. BUT we all have that 'split second' before when we realize what we are going to do. You, order a medium pizza. In that split second is when we have to jump on it. Have a chat with yourself. That deep down, real truth chat about why you are avoiding these types of foods.

And when that chat doesn't help and I jump into some food, I try to ration it out for normal portions. Get the med. pizza and eat 1/2. Not the whole. Bring it home to someone else OR throw it out. At least that way you have some control over a moment that seems totally out of control it helps me to think of it this way.

just back on plan. lots of water to counteract that sodium and eat LC. ketosis will come back in a few days and all should be fine.
everyone has detours. it is all about how we go about finding our way fast back onto the correct path.
Thanks trigger...I did not have control of myself yesterday...I was a wreck...But next time, I will be more prepared.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
If I cheat and binge like that, I drink tons and tons of water. If I start that the next day, I never really notice being out of Ketosis
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Lisarray
Just a little headache today and some bloating but thats all
Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/206/175
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Another way to satisfy the pizza craving... make a chicken breast or a portobello mushroom with your preferred low carb pizza toppings! Or spray a pan lightly with olive oil and pan-fry some mozzarella string cheese until browned...dip them in a little bit of tomato sauce.
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Stacy...It was not a craving I just got what we call in my world ''temporary insanity"...But it is a good idea!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I know you were "temporarily insane" so maybe there was no rational thought to be had. But do you think you might have been able to just eat the top off the pizza? I could see myself in that position and then ordering a "loaded" pizza and gorging on everything but the crust.

I can't say you would lose weight doing that --- it's a lot of gooey cheese and meat. But you might not find yourself out of ketosis and the recovery would be easier. And while it could be construed as a binge, I think even a little bit of control at times like that can help you keep your grip. It's that "all or nothing" thought process that gets us into trouble.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Phd.... Obviously I have no real advice to offer, but wanted to say "get back on the horse, ASAP!"
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I did Garlic...I actually came back right after the "accident"...I have been a little more hungrier and more bloated but I lost all the water weigh except for a pound
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Been there, done that. I've been eating consistently 'right' for the last 6 months but I can't tell you how many times I've sat there with something in my hand, inches from my mouth, having a battle about whether or not I was going to eat it.

You've already done the most important part...getting right back on that wagon. Since you've been doing induction for 6 weeks, I'd just continue what you've been doing. I'll bet it won't take long to get back into ketosis since you never came off induction to this point.

Just wanted to share a little story. One day a family member hurt me (emotionally) to the point of frustrated anger. I told my husband we were going out to eat at Carabbas and I was getting one of the pasta dishes because I was so upset. He just looked at me and said, "You're upset because your mom was hurtful to you so you're going to go punish yourself by eating something you know is just going to make you feel bad? Really?" Then just looked at me. Took me a few seconds to calm down and not want to punch him but then realized he was right. So now when I get to wanting to use food to calm my emotions, I try to remember that punishing myself will not make the situation (or the other person) any more bearable.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

So an interesting phenomenon is happening to me with the scale after my senseless cheat....
I weighted on Monday and gained 2 pounds after the cheat
By Wednesday it was gone
Thursday I gained a pound
Today I gained another one

I was expecting the weight gain and sometime to recover from the slip. But, I was not expecting this nonsense

Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I am guessing it is still water. Even without a cheat, my weight goes up at times for what seems no good reason, but I am sure there is one. I am just focusing on the lows and not the ups. Expect ups and downs. Someone here has compared it to a ball bouncing down the stairs. It goes up at times but the overall trend is downward.

Maybe you could weigh just once a week? It's seems like the daily weighing is really bothering you.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Hey Bella...Thanks for the advice...

I actually weight once a week. But this week with the cheat I was checking if I was going in the right direction. Any idea how could I get rid of the extra water?