Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
what to eat when really hungry but you are also afraid of....

going over your daily calorie limit?

( I know that many of you don't count calories, but I limit myself to 2500 or less )

I have already eaten about 800 calories today via 80% lean beef, and HWC, and a poblano pepper. It is 10:30 AM, and I feel like I need more food right now so I won't be hungry. This is NOT mental hunger.... my stomach is growling like crazy.

I would probably have a salad if I could, but I have to go shopping..... I need something low carb, and light on the calories.

2500 may sound like a lot, but I am a 260ish pound guy who exercises a lot... like 90 minutes, 4 - 5x a week.... sometimes more, sometimes less, but that is my average.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
You won't love my answer. You sure you want it?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
dill pickle and a cup of salty broth. and then a water.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
You won't love my answer. You sure you want it?
Then no.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have to limit my calories significantly due to age and medical conditions.

For 3 years I did JUDDD, which involved eating about 400 cal, 3 days a week. I found that I had the same fear of 'going over' my calories, but I also discovered that I tend to be hungriest in the morning. Breakfast is often my biggest meal of the day.

So I just go with my hunger. Some days I've stopped eating by noon. I have a few 50-100 cal 'snacks' that I can use later in the day, as needed.

I find that by satisfying my hunger (pure physical hunger--not cravings), I'm fine most of the rest of the time.

I live alone and can manage my food any way I want to, but if you are committed to eating dinner with your family, this may not work for you.

Oh, and what to eat? I buy egg white and make myself a 1/2 cup in the microwave (50 cal), or just a hard-boiled egg for 70 cal. Plain hot broth is great, too for perhaps 20 cal a cup--I make mine homemade because I'm sensitive to carbs). I also drink both coffee and tea plain (zero cal) and I find that both are good when I'm hungry.

Last edited by Leo41; 07-07-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
dill pickle and a cup of salty broth. and then a water.

Haha! Yes, Emel... I went and ate the last dill pickle! I would eat 2 - 3 more spears if I had them. But why the salty broth?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I ate more than that when I was 25 (can't do that now being post menopausal), female (less muscle mass than males) and sedentary.

My .02 if you're a guy who works 90 minutes several times a week...increase your calories. Make sure your diet is 'moderate' (at least) fat. That's what will keep you from being hungry. Forget the lean meat. I rarely eat fish anymore because I don't care for things slathered in butter and there's not enough fat in fish to hold me to the next meal. Use something like <tried to put one of the food calculators in here, but it won't let me) and input what you eat. It will tell you whether you're eating a low or moderate fat diet.

I eat 2 eggs cooked in some butter and 1 oz of cooked bacon for breakfast. 4-5 oz of protein and 1-2 cups green vegies (about 20-25gm carbs) for lunch and same for dinner. Lunch vegie is usually a large salad with 1 Tbs olive oil (in the dressing). I put about a Tbs of cream in my 3 cups of coffee throughout the day. If I get hungry between meals (and I mean my stomach has to growl cuz I don't trust my head)...or my blood sugar drops too low, I'll eat a hardboiled egg or 2 oz of cheese.

My days count, at maintenance, is 1600 calories (remember, post menopausal short woman), 70-80gm protein and about 140gm of fat.

Last edited by Aomiel; 07-07-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
For me, chicken dipped in hot sauce, as hot as I can stand, like nose running hot. Spicy seems to calm appetite for me and protein is a good choice.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Haha! Yes, Emel... I went and ate the last dill pickle! I would eat 2 - 3 more spears if I had them. But why the salty broth?
Liquid fills you up, and salt is always good on a low carb plan.

Don't chug water, though--- it can make some people hungrier ('dilutes' the stuff in your food tract, making it go through faster... google 'osmolarity' if you're fascinated.

Sipping/drinking is fine.

ETA:

got cucumbers?
thinly slice them into some vinegar. a little salt and pepper, and maybe a few drops of chili oil and/or a touch of sweetener.
Toss a couple ice cubes in, refrigerate, and then hit it up for a tasty, pickle-like snack in an hour or so.

Last edited by emel; 07-07-2013 at 07:58 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
For me, chicken dipped in hot sauce, as hot as I can stand, like nose running hot. Spicy seems to calm appetite for me and protein is a good choice.
Ooh.... I just bought 9 bottles of hot sauce, including a Bhut Jolokia based hot sauce.... Makes habanero sauce seem wimpy!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Garlic, I think you needed more for breakfast.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I'd eat some hardboiled eggs. They're only 70 calories each and fill you up really well with protein and fat.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I suggest you experiment with two things, though this won't help you today.

1) erythritol. this is a zero glycemic index, zero carb, zero calorie sugar alcohol. buy the powdered form, it doesn't dissolve well. it has no impact on my blood sugar yet I find it really kills hunger, often but not always.

2) glucomanan. soluble fiber. if you go to the JUDDD forum, they have a zillion low calorie recipes with this stuff for DDs. you can make a sort of pudding with it and sugar free syrup, for example, that's essentially calorie free and fills you up pretty well. some find it thrilling, some a bit ugh. you just have to play around with it.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susiecarbojunkie
Stats: 293/147/145-135
WOE: Atkins '72/hHCG
Start Date: re-start April 2010
my favorite is a couple of stalks of celery dipped in ranch dressing and some green olives

I've read that we often mistake thirst for hunger--sipping water may help

something with lots of fiber can help you feel full as well--hence the celery....

I usually have some fiber caps around--with psyllium husks--and will take 4-5 of them if I'm feeling hungry and know that I don't really need food

other than that, Dr. A would probably have said--'If you're hungry, eat something lowcarb...'
Susiecarbojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I'd eat some hardboiled eggs. They're only 70 calories each and fill you up really well with protein and fat.
Always works for me!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Yup, hard boiled eggs for me too. I don't love them, so I won't eat more just because they are so yummy, they're pretty low in calories, and they're the perfect combination of fat and protein.

Sometimes, if it's night time and I'm hungry, I'll try to just power through, hoping that it means I'll see a loss on the scale the next morning, but if you're hungry early in the day, that's a little tough to do.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaliOkieGal4now
Stats: 150/125/120 5'10''
WOE: Atkins & Power 90- All The Way!!!
Start Date: February 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
going over your daily calorie limit?

( I know that many of you don't count calories, but I limit myself to 2500 or less )

I have already eaten about 800 calories today via 80% lean beef, and HWC, and a poblano pepper. It is 10:30 AM, and I feel like I need more food right now so I won't be hungry. This is NOT mental hunger.... my stomach is growling like crazy.

I would probably have a salad if I could, but I have to go shopping..... I need something low carb, and light on the calories.

2500 may sound like a lot, but I am a 260ish pound guy who exercises a lot... like 90 minutes, 4 - 5x a week.... sometimes more, sometimes less, but that is my average.
Hi Garlic,

Here is what I make when I 'NEED" something, but am watching my calories for the day ..... you may need to go to the health food store to purchase some of the ingredients, but trust me - you WILL THANK ME later..

Super Yummy, Abosolutely Guilt Free, Peanutbutter-Marshmellow Fudge Brownies

1 Egg
3 Egg Whites
2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
4 Tablespoons Sugar Free Cocoa Powder
2 Tablespoons Flaxmeal
2 Tablesppons Sugar Free Peanutbutter ( or Almond Butter )
4 Tablespoons Walden Farms Peanut Butter
4 Tablesppons Walden Farms Marshmellow Fluff
2 Cups Splenda ( or your favorite choice of Sugar Free Sweetener)
1 teaspoon Baking powder
dash of salt

Mix all together, spread into a bread loaf sized pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in over for approx 15-18 min at 375.
Allow to cool, cut into squares. Can frost with more walden farms if you like.Sometimes I do. Sometimes I dont.
Yeilds approx 12 brownies.

Total Nutritional Count for WHOLE recipe:
Calories:450
Carbs: 6
protein: 26

Total Nutritional Count PER BROWNIE:
Calories: 37
Carbs: .5
Protein: 2

How bout THAT, my friends!
EAT your brownies, and feel good about yourself at the same time! YEAH,
thats how I ROLL!

( by the way, you can tweak this a zillion ways....use walden farms chocolate dip, caramel dip, or strawberry jam,( to make chocolate strawberry peabutter brownies), or just get creative with it!

DISCLAIMER: This recipe is highly delicious, very addictive, and not recommended to be shared with non-low-carbers who have no appreciation for your sacrifices to lose weight while eating low carb. May cause episodes of unexpected laughing, long periods of blissful emotions, and feelings of contentment. If smile on face last for more than 4 hours, discontinue use. Mathmatical calcluations for nutritional information were done by a non-mathamatical person, who just wants to help people lose weight like she has done, however numbers might possibly be a lil off, even though she is pretty sure they are correct.
CaliOkieGal4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #18

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I suggest you experiment with two things, though this won't help you today.

1) erythritol. this is a zero glycemic index, zero carb, zero calorie sugar alcohol. buy the powdered form, it doesn't dissolve well. it has no impact on my blood sugar yet I find it really kills hunger, often but not always.

2) glucomanan. soluble fiber. if you go to the JUDDD forum, they have a zillion low calorie recipes with this stuff for DDs. you can make a sort of pudding with it and sugar free syrup, for example, that's essentially calorie free and fills you up pretty well. some find it thrilling, some a bit ugh. you just have to play around with it.

Along this line I really like:
To drink Roasted Barley Tea that I get from the asian food store and only lightly sweeten it till I can barely taste the sweet. The slight bitter taste with the slight sweet taste and the aroma of barley makes a refreshing beverage that can take hydration based hunger and is just yummy to drink. I make it by the quart and drink off of it all day. You make it just by dunking the tea bag in cold water and letting it set about an hour.I do it overnight in the fridge

To eat shirataki noodles either a) dry with butter and red pepper flakes and basil, b) with some really spicy broth flavor or c) with a lot of different mushrooms and a fishy broth with miso

The glucomannon noodles that are shirataki is zero calories but very filling and the flavors add to the enjoyment of them. Spicy stuff seems to cut my appetite if I'm not really hungry for calories, but if I am then the mushrooms and fishy miso gives me some calories and some protein without a lot of calories but then is stays in my stomach longer to digest than if I just ate the noodles with spice so I get a full sensation for longer.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Super Yummy, Abosolutely Guilt Free, Peanutbutter-Marshmellow Fudge Brownies

1 Egg
3 Egg Whites
2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
4 Tablespoons Sugar Free Cocoa Powder
2 Tablespoons Flaxmeal
2 Tablesppons Sugar Free Peanutbutter ( or Almond Butter )
4 Tablespoons Walden Farms Peanut Butter
4 Tablesppons Walden Farms Marshmellow Fluff
2 Cups Splenda ( or your favorite choice of Sugar Free Sweetener)
1 teaspoon Baking powder
dash of salt

Mix all together, spread into a bread loaf sized pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in over for approx 15-18 min at 375.
Allow to cool, cut into squares. Can frost with more walden farms if you like.Sometimes I do. Sometimes I dont.
Yeilds approx 12 brownies.

Total Nutritional Count for WHOLE recipe:
Calories:450
Carbs: 6
protein: 26

Total Nutritional Count PER BROWNIE:
Calories: 37
Carbs: .5
Protein: 2

This sounds awesome..... I will see about the carb count with homemade sun butter!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I have a pkg of those noodles.... LOL, I just didn't know what to do with them. Isn't there some kind of prep to be done so they taste OK?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I just rinse them in cold water for a long time, then I use them like rice noodles (not like wheat pasta) in recipes. I often stir fry with them, or add them to a soup.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #22

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
If you want and if you are not in a hurry, putting them into a soup pot with a strong broth and letting it simmer for a while makes it really yummy. I like to do that with the mushrooms, if I get dried mushrooms, I'll put them in to soak and simmer with the noodles.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
If you squeeze lemon juice on the shirataki noodles, the smell goes away immediately.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I have days when I'm hungrier, and when I have those days, I eat more. Also, exercise can make you hungry.

I would eat an ounce of macadamia nuts.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #25

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
We always keep boiled eggs on hand. They are a lot of bang for your buck with high protein, and low calories.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
For me, it's usually a salad. Sometimes I just take a bag and eat it raw.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote