Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
One other thing. Caffeine really effected my hypoglycemia. If you are drinking lots of coffee or tea you may want to look into it. Also, things like diet Coke really messes me up as well. The key to being successful on this diet is to understand how food effects your body. We are all different. We usually eat foods like sugar to bring us up, because we haven't gotten enough fat or protein. Pay attention to what is going on and you will get this figured out.

Hypoglycemia is hard to measure in a doctors office. I found doctors to be of little to no help trying to fix it for me. The best way to fix it is to totally avoid sugar and caffeine.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susiecarbojunkie
Stats: 293/147/145-135
WOE: Atkins '72/hHCG
Start Date: re-start April 2010
I was thinking about you last night--so I went through my copies of Atkins--and what the above posters say is a very important issue with Atkins--

the combination of the diuretics and lowcarb can be causing you the problems you are having being in ketosis and feeling poorly

Atkins always had his patients wean themselves off of the diuretics they were taking for hypertension--Atkins says this is important because those diuretics are robbing your system of the ability to extract minerals like potassium, magnesium, selenium, calcium from your food--something that the diuretic effect from low-carbing alone does NOT do...

plus--Atkins said that getting off of diuretic hypertension medication is the easiest to do with low-carb....
that will definitely be something to speak to your health-care provider about, but in the meantime--supplementing with those minerals should be a good start (the salt is good, but you want the other minerals as well)

also--realize that you don't need to register ketosis on the ketostix to actually be in ketosis
and
you don't need to be in ketosis to be successful on a lowcarb diet and to lose weight

but with your symptoms, don't mistake that advice to indicate you should abandon low-carb dieting

also--posting your stats may help as well (if you are embarrassed by them--I don't think I posted stats for the first several years I was here--giving people an idea of how much weight you are looking to lose--could help people have a more clear picture of what is going on with you)

one of the tools I have found most useful is to keep a food-log
this may be especially helpful to you since you seem to have dramatic reactions to food--and you have a number of symptoms that are probably food-related issues
write down what you feel before a meal (like extreme hunger, headache, shaky, etc)
then write what you ate--in as much detail as possible
and then write how you felt afterward
also, then keep track of whether or not your ketostix registered (if you are keeping track of that)
how you slept,--etc (basically, anything you have an issue with--document how what you are eating affects that issue, or group of issues)

I know it sounds like a bother, but if you can commit to trying it for a day or two, I think you'll be surprised by the results and what you can learn from it--you will be developing the tools to create a healthier lifestyle for yourself--one that becomes healthy through what you are doing and eating rather than one that tries to be healthy by taking a bunch of medications that aren't really solving problems--just hiding symptoms
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
One other thing. Caffeine really effected my hypoglycemia. If you are drinking lots of coffee or tea you may want to look into it. Also, things like diet Coke really messes me up as well. The key to being successful on this diet is to understand how food effects your body. We are all different. We usually eat foods like sugar to bring us up, because we haven't gotten enough fat or protein. Pay attention to what is going on and you will get this figured out.

Hypoglycemia is hard to measure in a doctors office. I found doctors to be of little to no help trying to fix it for me. The best way to fix it is to totally avoid sugar and caffeine.
Stevie's giving you some really good stuff here---
caffeine can also cause your body to release insulin--just like sugar or carbs....
this can also happen when you consume artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (I have read that this does not happen with stevia)

I switched to decaf, but I'm not so strong when it comes to drinking diet Coke--but I gotta say, I feel better when I'm off the artificial sweeteners...
Susiecarbojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: krave79
I cannot thank you enough for your replies.

I have had the same Dr for years and he is also sorta my friend. He is very fit (I guess), eats high carb, low fat....bikes to work. I admire his tenacity but I don't think he understands what it's like to try high carb and just feel like utter hell.
About Atkins he says.... "Oh, don't do that! What a lovely heart attack you will have!"

I have taken to skipping my combo med a bit this week, because no one likes to pee every 5 seconds and my BP seems fine.

I do need a Dr appointment, you guys convinced me of that. I do not wish to exit ketosis right now because it just so hard for me to re-enter it should I choose to. I haven't lost any weight this week, but again, I don't want to outright blame Atkins just yet.

While I couldn't sleep last night I read over the JUDDD thread and looked up that site... it sounds nice but I don't think it will address issues inherent to *me* which include a documented reason to stay awy from wheat. Atkins kinda did all that thinking *for* me and I don't wanna walk away just yet.

Again, you guys are terrible awesome! Thanks again!
krave79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

I will cut the caffeine in half in the meantime....and take the splenda out of my coffee.

I really love my buttered coffee, though. Sounds gross, but it rocks.

Susie- thank you so much! I need to look back into library and see what books I have...and if not, visit half.com, so I open to suggestions.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiecarbojunkie View Post
Stevie's giving you some really good stuff here---
caffeine can also cause your body to release insulin--just like sugar or carbs....
this can also happen when you consume artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (I have read that this does not happen with stevia)

I switched to decaf, but I'm not so strong when it comes to drinking diet Coke--but I gotta say, I feel better when I'm off the artificial sweeteners...
Sorry but this statement is incorrect and I only point it out because it gets perpetuated. I am not saying that coffee has no effect but it is not in the way that is stated here. Here is a direct quote from Mark Sisson...there is more but this bit applies directly to the issue.

Quote:
What makes coffee research so confusing is that a lot of it is actually caffeine research. You see, researchers love isolating whole food constituents to avoid confounding variables. It’s easier to get a definitive result about caffeine than it is to get one about coffee, because coffee contains huge and diverse levels of antioxidant compounds. If you don’t, and coffee has a health effect, how do you know if it’s the caffeine or something else in coffee causing the effect? That’s helpful, but most of us are drinking coffee – not popping caffeine pills. So, while caffeine is definitely one of the main active compounds in coffee, it’s not the only one. Adjust your interpretation of “coffee” research accordingly.

That said, both caffeine and coffee have been shown to exert negative effects on insulin sensitivity. Not on insulin itself, though. As standalone substances (without a meal to accompany them), neither caffeine nor coffee have an independent effect on insulin secretion.

But insulin sensitivity, the efficiency with which your body handles incoming glucose? Yeah. Caffeine tends to reduce it. It’s not necessarily a terrible thing, though, when you consider why this occurs. Caffeine increases adrenaline, which increases lipolysis – the liberation of fatty acids from body fat. The increased sense of energy you get from coffee is partly caused by the increased availability of energy in the form of free fatty acids. Of course, an increase in free fatty acids shooting around your body causes a subsequent – and necessary – drop in insulin sensitivity to allow you to actually burn the fat. It all makes perfect sense when you consider the entire picture, but it sounds pretty scary out of context.
The second statement about artificial sweeteners is also a common belief but only that - a belief. There is no science to demonstrate this is true.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I will say that I have taken my blood glucose readings at several intervals after I've consumed a large Diet Coke (no other food), and it has no effect on my readings. Zero. And Diet Coke has both aspartame and caffeine.

Just FYI: I'm not diabetic, and I don't disbelieve those who have performed similar tests with different results, but it is NOT universal.

I regularly drink Diet Coke, Diet Mountain Dew, coffee, and tea, with no effect on my loss. I probably drink at least on that list daily, so I don't go crazy, but I don't worry about them either.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Weight Gain (from sciencedaily.com)

Feb. 11, 2008 — Want to lose weight? It might help to pour that diet soda down the drain. Researchers have laboratory evidence that the widespread use of no-calorie sweeteners may actually make it harder for people to control their intake and body weight.

Psychologists at Purdue University's Ingestive Behavior Research Center reported that relative to rats that ate yogurt sweetened with glucose (a simple sugar with 15 calories/teaspoon, the same as table sugar), rats given yogurt sweetened with zero-calorie saccharin later consumed more calories, gained more weight, put on more body fat, and didn't make up for it by cutting back later, all at levels of statistical significance.

Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Weight Gain
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Weight Gain (from sciencedaily.com)

Feb. 11, 2008 — Want to lose weight? It might help to pour that diet soda down the drain. Researchers have laboratory evidence that the widespread use of no-calorie sweeteners may actually make it harder for people to control their intake and body weight.

Psychologists at Purdue University's Ingestive Behavior Research Center reported that relative to rats that ate yogurt sweetened with glucose (a simple sugar with 15 calories/teaspoon, the same as table sugar), rats given yogurt sweetened with zero-calorie saccharin later consumed more calories, gained more weight, put on more body fat, and didn't make up for it by cutting back later, all at levels of statistical significance.

Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Weight Gain
It's the extra calories they consumed that created the caloric imbalance which caused weight gain. This study was done using standard diet people.
If you don't consume other calories after using sweeteners, you won't gain the weight this study 'proved'.
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
It's the extra calories they consumed that created the caloric imbalance which caused weight gain. This study was done using standard diet people.
If you don't consume other calories after using sweeteners, you won't gain the weight this study 'proved'.
Even so, so many people don't restrict calories and don't keep track of their caloric intake, so AS can increase their appetite and lead them to eat more and they won't know it, and will wonder why they are stalled when they are on plan and eating to "hunger".
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sorry but this statement is incorrect and I only point it out because it gets perpetuated. I am not saying that coffee has no effect but it is not in the way that is stated here. Here is a direct quote from Mark Sisson...there is more but this bit applies directly to the issue.

The second statement about artificial sweeteners is also a common belief but only that - a belief. There is no science to demonstrate this is true.
I didn't mean to open a can of worms---I'm just responding through my old-school Atkins training that had us all scouring the stores for caffeine-free Diet Rite cola--and why we all shunned aspartame (aside from the fact that they are nasty chemicals that kill zillions of laboratory rats...) and rejoiced when Splenda came on the market--and then held our breath until we could get Diet Cokes with that self-same Splenda

From DANDR
Page 189-- "Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause a hypoglycemic reaction, which will provoke cravings and cause you to overeat. Omitting caffeine may be a big sacrifice for you, but, in my experience, weight loss often starts up again as soon as people remove caffeine from their regimen."

Page 222-- "Consume caffeine only in moderation."

Much of Atkins' data was anecdotal--but then, so is ours, here on this forum

The scientific community has been arguing these issues for years--it seems that every other week their position is reversed--

as for artificial sweeteners--some believe that the chemicals themselves are nasty enough, some say it is other elements the sweeteners are combined with that cause the reactions--I've even read that your brain reacting to the sweet taste of an artificial sweetener can cause an insulin response---

I think, however, that it is a good thing to be aware that these are debated issues---
in a your-mileage-may-vary kind of way

one or two Diet Cokes in a day doesn't usually give me a problem--but more than that, and I'm heading to Wal-Mart to be sure they have enough M & M's--(which, as we all know, there NEVER are )

Last edited by Susiecarbojunkie; 07-07-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Susiecarbojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I will say that I have taken my blood glucose readings at several intervals after I've consumed a large Diet Coke (no other food), and it has no effect on my readings. Zero. And Diet Coke has both aspartame and caffeine.

Just FYI: I'm not diabetic, and I don't disbelieve those who have performed similar tests with different results, but it is NOT universal.

I regularly drink Diet Coke, Diet Mountain Dew, coffee, and tea, with no effect on my loss. I probably drink at least on that list daily, so I don't go crazy, but I don't worry about them either.
My results were the exact opposite of this. I also took readings. Many, if not most people, experience little to no problems. Unfortunately, I am special and have problems. I would recommend that you take things away and then add them back slowly so you can pinpoint the stuff that is causing you problems. You might find, that certain things don't bother you and you can have them. Pay attention to what does and doesn't work for you. But in order to do this, you need to be disciplined and not add it all at once. In other words, minimize the variables so you can find out what isn't working for you quicker.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #43

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
The sugar industry used to put out a poster that said essentially that 'being hungry' caused you to gain weight because you would eat more at your next meal. So they suggested that you should eat a teaspoon of sugar when you felt hungry in order to not feel hungry later at your next meal.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I don't want to get into a big debate on this subject of caffeine. I can only say that caffeine has a definite effect that is provable in my blood sugar readings. Is it a direct cause? I don't know, but when I consume it, my blood sugars spike then drop very low. The science is definitely mixed on the subject. The quotes from the Atkins books was what I was going to reference, but someone beat me to it. I would be willing to admit that I am not the norm, but a significant number of folks especially here on the Low Carb forums share my issues.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Caffeine is great, but I do worry about artificial sweeteners.

Stevia is something I am beginning to look into. I had read it is not approved as a sweetener in the US? Or is my info dated?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #46

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I think it's approved as a "food additive' but not as a "sweetener".
You can buy the plant in any nursery.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by krave79 View Post
Caffeine is great, but I do worry about artificial sweeteners.

Stevia is something I am beginning to look into. I had read it is not approved as a sweetener in the US? Or is my info dated?
The FDA has approved Rebaudioside A, a highly purified extract of stevia, as a sweetener, but not whole-leaf stevia or crude stevia extracts as sweeteners. I believe those can be sold only as dietary supplements.

What refined Stevia preparations have been evaluated by FDA to be used as a sweetener?

Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Thanks