LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missmarple
Stats: (272)257/238/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: July 2, 2013
some things are difficult

I am on day 5 of low carb and have lost about 6 lbs. all week I have not cheated once. tonight I just started craving a coke and finally went and got one thinking, well I need a break once in a while! oh man excuses excuses, I know if I drink that coke it will probably just be a slide backwards. this is where my biggest battle is going to be, starting with the thought that I can have a little cheat once in a while. NO, I would rather keep on losing weight! So I will give that coke away to my neighbour, she loves it. I just have to fight that craving for a coke.
also its hard because my daughter and other friends are telling me I NEED CARBS or I will get SICk and maybe DIE...well maybe a bit exagerated but they are so against me doing this. My daughter told me that the brain needs 100 g carbs a day to function. I told her that so far my brain is fine.
Other friends have told me that this WOE is dangerous. One person said this diet "sucks all the water from your organs" ... ??? I told him well I am drinking a lot of water, far more than I ever drank before. but he isnt satisfied and keeps trying to warn me off low carb. My other best friend is going to have the weightloss surgery, she wants me to do that also, and she also is telling me low carb is dangerous. I am not against anyone having the surgery if that works for them, but I dont want to go that route.

In the end I have to do what I believe is right for me. and I did the low fat calorie counting and I was hungry all the time and felt weak and sick. IN 5 days on this WOE I am not hungry, I feel great, have energy and am sleeping well. and have lost 6 lbs.
So I will stick to it.
but I guess I am looking for assurance that low carb isnt dangerous, because its hard to get their words out of my head, and that little bit of fear creeping in that maybe it is...
on the other hand, its way more dangerous to my health to remain at this weight because my b/p is so high and my doc is concerned. as well as other health problems due to my weight.
missmarple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I have eaten zero carb for ten years now, not dead yet. I did eat ten to twenty carbs a day for my pregnancy. Baby is also very low carb, looks pretty happy and healthy.
No one wanted a coke more than me for my entire pregnancy. I have never wanted anything so badly. I resisted. My body does not need that junk. Just cause I want does not need to have it.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

oh thankyou so much, okay I will stop worrying about what they are telling me. you arent dead and your brain is functioning just fine.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think you should stick to your guns just to prove to them that it can be done, and to make them jealous of your success!

They are completely wrong, yk?
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I know what you are going through...There are real nice people in this forum with a lot of personal knowledge of Low Carb.
However, in my humble opinion, nobody can give you a real assurance of anything. You should read and decide for yourself what to do....
Do not expect Doctors or friends to support you as most do not agree with this kind of eating
I personally do not know if LC is healthy or not...But I was eating burgers, tacos, pizzas...you get the picture. I can assure you that with that WOE I was going directly to the hospital in 5 years...
Even though I have my doubts everyday, I am willing to take the risk....
Just my two cents...

Last edited by thatphdguy; 07-06-2013 at 05:51 PM..
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Have you read Gary taubes book, Why We Get Fat? He beaks low carb science into simple terms. It will give you enough information to defend your choices. It is a really easy read.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I have read Gary Taubes,,,
As Suzanne says, it is very informative
Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It's not dangerous, but if you need more than us reassuring you, you might peruse this forum: Recommended Reading - Low Carb Friends There are lots of studies and books discussed, which may help you feel more comfortable.

If you prefer, there are lots of YouTube videos available to watch, about the healthfulness of eating low carb, and the science behind it.

But honestly, I suggest you stop talking about it with people right now. If they're dead set on discouraging and scaring you, and you're feeling overwhelmed by it, tell them you're an adult and what you choose to eat is not up for debate.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

ok thanks everyone, I will get some reading done, and also will stop talking about it to my friends. what i eat is not their business.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alassea
WOE: kiss atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
ok thanks everyone, I will get some reading done, and also will stop talking about it to my friends. what i eat is not their business.

keep up the good work and i'll see you over at the 5 lb challenge....you are rockin' it!
alassea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Way to hang tough and resist drinking that coke!!! I Know how hard that had to have been! When people tell me LC is bad for me (they haven't in awhile now) I just ask them how Not eatting Junk and sugar could be bad!?
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
People who don't understand low carb are the ones who think it's bad for you.

Since you're doing Protein Power, read the blog of Michael Eades. And, as has already been mentioned, there are a lot of great books, articles, and youtube videos about low carb.

Low carb has helped so many of us to succeed after low fat dieting failed us.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Honestly, with criticism as silly as what you mentioned I would just laugh.

Hand out copies of "Why We Get Fat...." and tell them you'll talk after they have read it. If they have no interest in an educated opinion, they should keep it to themselves.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susiecarbojunkie
Stats: 293/147/145-135
WOE: Atkins '72/hHCG
Start Date: re-start April 2010
Congratulations on passing up on the Coke!!
nothing succeeds like success!!

First of all, there is no such thing as zero-carb--in some senses of the word. First of all, your body converts part of the protein you eat to glucose (carbs) anyway--depending on your overall protein intake, it can convert approx. 40% of the protein to glucose

also, your brain can use glucose for fuel, and it can use ketones for fuel--I think it was Fran McCullough in Low-Carb living who quoted research that said that your brain actually prefers the ketones for fuel

and finally--all veggies are carbs--you are eating carbs, just high-fiber, complex carbs that don't cause a spike in your blood sugar

don't listen to the detractors--you are improving you health far more quickly by taking proactive steps that effectively help you lose the weight---than you will ever get by listening to the poo-poo-ers --
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Just don't tell people what you are doing. It is really none of their business. It will help you avoid the negative thinking these people come up with. Once you get stronger in your conviction, then you can start discussing it. I am nearly a year into it and over 80 pounds down and I still don't use the word Atkins. I just say I cut sugar out of my life. Everyone can agree with that and I don't get any push-back. In the early days I use the Atkins word and I couldn't believe the hatred and misinformation. I got tired of educating and arguing with people. The way of eating works for me and my brain and I am planning on doing it for life. Sugar really messed with my brain! I had hypoglycemia prior to this way of eating and it is gone now.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susiecarbojunkie
Stats: 293/147/145-135
WOE: Atkins '72/hHCG
Start Date: re-start April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Just don't tell people what you are doing. It is really none of their business. It will help you avoid the negative thinking these people come up with. Once you get stronger in your conviction, then you can start discussing it. I am nearly a year into it and over 80 pounds down and I still don't use the word Atkins. I just say I cut sugar out of my life. Everyone can agree with that and I don't get any push-back. In the early days I use the Atkins word and I couldn't believe the hatred and misinformation. I got tired of educating and arguing with people. The way of eating works for me and my brain and I am planning on doing it for life. Sugar really messed with my brain! I had hypoglycemia prior to this way of eating and it is gone now.
Stevie---you could probably give some great advice to Krave79. She is struggling getting started, too and described some very hypoglycemic sounding symptoms.....
having been there yourself, you could give her some really great support and wisdom

didn't mean to thread-jack

I don't usually use the Atkins word either, I just say that I "don't do carbs"....

you're right--nobody's business but yours...
Susiecarbojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
Start Date: 6/1/14
When people say that you're not eating healthy, just tell them a sample daily LC menu: B=scrambled eggs with peppers, L=Caesar salad with chicken or shrimp, D=chicken and broccoli with cheese. What isn't healthy about that? It's probably WAY more healthy than what they're eating! All you're doing is cutting out the sugar and bad carbs!
RhondaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

thankyou all for your replies.
I will just tell my friends I am cutting out junk food. If I am asked that is, I wont talk about it any more. I had told them I was doing low carb because I wanted them to try it, like my daughter and my neighbour friend who both need to lose weight. I guess I will just lose the weight and that will be proof enough.
really though, I ate almost nothing healthy before, even when I was low fat dieting. I never drank water. Now I eat very well, and drink tons of water. anyway I am not worried now. I will just keep going. For me this will be my new life. not just til I lose some weight. I wont go back to eating garbage.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I think most of us have had that reaction from at least a few people in our lives. The funny thing is that now that I've been at my goal weight for a while some of them have started slinking back and asking me "so what exactly is this diet again?"

Some folks just need to see the results before their eyes before they'll believe it. When they see you looking thinner, more healthy and more energetic, they'll start to question their assumptions.

Hang in there.

By the way, if it's a Coke you want, you might want to try some kind of sparkling water. I found that a lot of my craving for a Coke was really a craving for bubbles. I just like 'em.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
My soda stream gives me the bubbles I need. The carbonation gives a bit of a hit.
I use flavor essences, not fake soda mixes. The hint of mint or choco or almond or hazelnut or vanilla or orange or some combo can be very satisfying, especially in the summertime.

My view, similar to some expressed here, is share if asked and you think the question sincere, but better not to prosylitize, however that word is spelled. Atkins and low carb gets a bad rap, no doubt, but better to show results than just offering unsolicated advice or opinion, imo!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I believe if you are to heavy to under go bypass surgery they will puy you on higher protein lower carb diet to get to weight that is safe for surgery...I have not researched this it is just what some who have had the surgery have told me. So you are doing what the docs recommend in a way, just without the surgery.
I am sure some one who has experienced this will fill in the gaps in my info or at least hope they will.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I think the worst of all is when the medical community (doctors, nurses, dieticians...) get in your head and push the high carb/low fat.

I really though that my doctor was going to be happy after I dropped 15 pounds in 6 weeks. Well...I was wrong.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

that is sad that doctors dont know about this, and nutritionists. I had an appt with a nutritionist but I canceled it when I began low carb because I knew she wouldnt approve. no point going to someone who wants me to stay on low fat high carb.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaR
Stats: 269/257/170
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: March 14, 2014
A good friend of mine is having weight loss surgery this week. Only she's having the more serious kind. I would much rather be doing Atkins than to undergo such a drastic surgery.
RhondaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
In all honesty, HOW CAN low carb be deadly.

olden days. people ate meat and veg. and what fruit they could get.

what else was in the garden? hmmm....spaghetti noodles growing on trees. Boxes of mac and cheese growing on a vine? Loaves of bread sprouting from the fields.

even the carbs people did eat were natural. corn, taters etc. with of course loaves of bread being baked. But it was also all fresh and they worked it off trying to stay alive working hard for their survival. The food source wasn't chemical sugar laden junk it is today.

the carbs today are JUNK carbs. simple as that. You are getting enough carbs to survive if you eat a natural good low carb diet so tell everyone you won't die or fall apart. if anything you get healthier
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
that is sad that doctors dont know about this, and nutritionists. I had an appt with a nutritionist but I canceled it when I began low carb because I knew she wouldnt approve. no point going to someone who wants me to stay on low fat high carb.
Oh they know about it...They just don't approve it
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I discovered Atkins back in 1972 when his book came out...and I was successful on it. Then I listened, and believed, when everyone said it was unhealthy...your body needs carbs...yada yada...and so I went from pudgy to 330 lbs and from hypoglycemic to full blown diabetes with BG's over 400.

If it's such an unhealthy way of eating, so many of us would not have lost the weight, felt better, got off our insulin, etc.

Come here for your reinforcement. Read some of the wonderful books by Taubs, Eades, Bernstein and others who have the facts to show that low carb is a healthy way of eating. Your body does not need rice, potatoes, grains, starches. It does just fine on protein and vegies and can get all the nutrition it needs from them.

The sad fact is, though, that you can provide all this information to these naysayers and you still won't change their mind...but that's not important. They don't need to be convinced. Only you do.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustDoYou
Stats: 232.5/patiently waiting/165ish
WOE: LC and eating in moderation
Do your own research and don't let what others way dissuade you from doing what you know is working for you. I find it funny that your friend who's getting WLS is quick to push you to do that with her, but does she not realize that she will be doing a VLC diet once she's out of surgery, at least for a while. I have several friends/co-workers who've had it done, both Lap Band and bypass and they all eat a VLC diet now.
JustDoYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Just read the article as well...Pretty good
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
It's not dangerous, but if you need more than us reassuring you, you might peruse this forum: Recommended Reading - Low Carb Friends There are lots of studies and books discussed, which may help you feel more comfortable.

If you prefer, there are lots of YouTube videos available to watch, about the healthfulness of eating low carb, and the science behind it.

But honestly, I suggest you stop talking about it with people right now. If they're dead set on discouraging and scaring you, and you're feeling overwhelmed by it, tell them you're an adult and what you choose to eat is not up for debate.

What she said and especially that.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote