LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/196/135
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: September 2012/Whole30 start June 25 2014
Is this IF?

I notice that I am a lot less hungry, and I eat a lot less, if I skip lunch.
I'll usually eat between 1300 and 1600 cals if I skip it, and I don't get hungry. If I eat lunch, I'm hungry all the time and I have to fight myself to eat less than 2000 cals. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vixendrop
Stats: 343/317/275
WOE: Very LC
Start Date: 07/03/2013
Why are you counting calories?

ETA: Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just honestly curious.

Last edited by vixendrop; 07-05-2013 at 07:34 PM..
vixendrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
I'll usually eat between 1300 and 1600 cals if I skip it, and I don't get hungry. If I eat lunch, I'm hungry all the time and I have to fight myself to eat less than 2000 cals. Anyone else have a similar experience?
I don't think it could be called a true "IF" type of eating because it's not a breaking of a long fast (16 or more hours) but just eating with a long in-between time. It does work for some, like myself (when I do it). I have found that eating a good breakfast, no lunch, and then a good dinner keeps me from eating all day (or picking, as I tend to do).

As in anything....if it works for you it's a good thing and doesn't matter if it works or doesn't work for anyone else! Do what works for YOU and you are golden!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 07-05-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think Beeb is right that IF'ing would be a longish period of not eating with all of your meals within a shorter than normal period. But I wouldn't be surprised if you are on your way to IF'ing, or if, for whatever reason, what your doing is a better woe for you needs. If it's working, I say go with it.

I normally eat one time a day and I pretty much got to this just by following my hunger. I started by eating a meal between 1 and 3ish and another one around 6 or 7 and then eventually I let go of that earlier meal and now I usually just eat dinner. On days that I feel like eating an earlier meal, I do, but it doesn't happen all that often.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/196/135
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: September 2012/Whole30 start June 25 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixendrop View Post
Why are you counting calories?

ETA: Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just honestly curious.
Nah, you'll have to work a lot harder than that to be considered rude.

I count calories out of habit, as a shortcut to keeping my macros straight, and because at this point, if I eat too much (even if I'm keeping my carbs really low) I gain weight.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yep, I agree with Beeb and Rubidoux. Not a fast. But it is a sign that you are listening to your hunger cues and that's exactly what LCF does best when we do it right. It's supposed to make us less hungry so that we automatically adjust the amount of food. I didn't make this up...Dr. A. wrote it and also the new Atkins folks: Westman, Phinney and Volek talk about this.

I do combine ADF/IF with low carb. It works like nothing else for me, but it's not for everyone!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
There are many different interpretations of what intermittent fasting and the main point is to have a system (body) that is not in some stage of digestion. This usually takes around 4 hours. If you are going beyond this time, then a fast has begun. So for instance, every night, when we sleep, we are in a fasting state.

Some people choose to extend that fast by not eating on rising. If you have breakfast, then you are no longer in a 'fasted' state. If you go beyond the approx. 4 hours after breakfast, then those hours beyond are an intermittent fast in my opinion.

Intermittent fasting has many great benefits. It is useful to think about how you feel during those hours and to use it to your benefit but please do not get caught up in calorie counting as it can be counter productive. Instead, consider that you are meeting your nutritional requirements through macro nutrients.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote