Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Is this IF? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807496-if.html)

Jackie123 07-05-2013 06:43 PM

Is this IF?

I notice that I am a lot less hungry, and I eat a lot less, if I skip lunch.
I'll usually eat between 1300 and 1600 cals if I skip it, and I don't get hungry. If I eat lunch, I'm hungry all the time and I have to fight myself to eat less than 2000 cals. Anyone else have a similar experience?

vixendrop 07-05-2013 07:26 PM

Why are you counting calories?

ETA: Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just honestly curious.

Beeb 07-05-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie123 (Post 16501854)
I'll usually eat between 1300 and 1600 cals if I skip it, and I don't get hungry. If I eat lunch, I'm hungry all the time and I have to fight myself to eat less than 2000 cals. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I don't think it could be called a true "IF" type of eating because it's not a breaking of a long fast (16 or more hours) but just eating with a long in-between time. It does work for some, like myself (when I do it). I have found that eating a good breakfast, no lunch, and then a good dinner keeps me from eating all day (or picking, as I tend to do).

As in anything....if it works for you it's a good thing and doesn't matter if it works or doesn't work for anyone else! Do what works for YOU and you are golden!! :shake:

rubidoux 07-05-2013 08:14 PM

I think Beeb is right that IF'ing would be a longish period of not eating with all of your meals within a shorter than normal period. But I wouldn't be surprised if you are on your way to IF'ing, or if, for whatever reason, what your doing is a better woe for you needs. If it's working, I say go with it. :)

I normally eat one time a day and I pretty much got to this just by following my hunger. I started by eating a meal between 1 and 3ish and another one around 6 or 7 and then eventually I let go of that earlier meal and now I usually just eat dinner. On days that I feel like eating an earlier meal, I do, but it doesn't happen all that often.

Jackie123 07-06-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixendrop (Post 16501895)
Why are you counting calories?

ETA: Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just honestly curious.

Nah, you'll have to work a lot harder than that to be considered rude. ;)

I count calories out of habit, as a shortcut to keeping my macros straight, and because at this point, if I eat too much (even if I'm keeping my carbs really low) I gain weight.

pooticus 07-06-2013 06:32 AM

Yep, I agree with Beeb and Rubidoux. Not a fast. But it is a sign that you are listening to your hunger cues and that's exactly what LCF does best when we do it right. It's supposed to make us less hungry so that we automatically adjust the amount of food. I didn't make this up...Dr. A. wrote it and also the new Atkins folks: Westman, Phinney and Volek talk about this.

I do combine ADF/IF with low carb. It works like nothing else for me, but it's not for everyone!!

clackley 07-06-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie123 (Post 16501854)

There are many different interpretations of what intermittent fasting and the main point is to have a system (body) that is not in some stage of digestion. This usually takes around 4 hours. If you are going beyond this time, then a fast has begun. So for instance, every night, when we sleep, we are in a fasting state.

Some people choose to extend that fast by not eating on rising. If you have breakfast, then you are no longer in a 'fasted' state. If you go beyond the approx. 4 hours after breakfast, then those hours beyond are an intermittent fast in my opinion.

Intermittent fasting has many great benefits. It is useful to think about how you feel during those hours and to use it to your benefit but please do not get caught up in calorie counting as it can be counter productive. Instead, consider that you are meeting your nutritional requirements through macro nutrients.