Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Dukes has a zip that other mayos don't seem to have.

It doesn't resemble Miracle Whip, does it? I hate MW.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
It doesn't resemble Miracle Whip, does it? I hate MW.
No...it seems to have a vinegar-like zing. Not a MW sweet thing going on.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin'Great! View Post
However, I just can't get past the idea of eating raw eggs. Will someone please convince me that it's safe? Sadly, I threw out my perfectly awesome mayo because of this.
If you're going to eat the egg raw, buy pasteurized *or* find a local person raising small flocks of chickens. The reason salmonella is a problem with conventional eggs is because of the way the chickens are raised in overcrowded, dirty/unsanitary conditions. I would never eat a conventional egg in its raw form...but then I did end up in the ER with salmonella poisoning. Let me tell you, once you have it once, you will take precautions against getting it again. Salmonella can kill you...and if it doesn't, you'll wish it had until you recover.

Note: I know a lot of sites 'claim' that the egg is cooked by the vinegar or lemon juice like ceviche, but I kind of doubt this is true. First, to make ceviche, the acid is in contact with the fish alone for roughly an hour. This is not true of the egg and acid. Plus, notice when the fish is 'cooked', it changes to its cooked form. The eggs do not. This from Alton Brown who does his research:

" For recipes that call for eggs that are raw or undercooked when the dish is served, use shell eggs that have been treated to destroy salmonella, by pasteurization or another approved method."

Last edited by Aomiel; 08-01-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
I use Duke's now that I live in the south where it is available. I think the extra zing it has is from the ACV on the ingredient list.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
I had been a Hellmans girl for 33 years, I would try different brands here and there but none of them eever compared. Then 2 months ago I tried Trader Joe's Organic Mayo and I was a complete convert from the first taste! It tastes closer to the huge industrial tub of mayo that you find in restaurants that is a little thicker and a little more flavorful. I love it!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin'Great! View Post
I just can't get past the idea of eating raw eggs. Will someone please convince me that it's safe? Sadly, I threw out my perfectly awesome mayo because of this.
Almost all of the eggs that you buy in the grocery store have been pasteurized, just like the cream and butter that you eat without cooking.

Last edited by evas; 08-01-2013 at 11:54 AM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
If it doesn't say 'pasteurized', don't count on it. When I was making eggnog this past Christmas, I called 4 different egg companies (big names carried by our local Meijers) and asked if their eggs were pasteurized. The answer from all of them was *not unless the carton says pasteurized*. So I wouldn't assume.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: exotec
Stats: 380/216/130
WOE: Primal lo-carb
Start Date: Sept 2007 :-(
I don't know about the Duke's. I've used it - but don't know how it might be duplicated at home.
Someone in this thread mentioned Hellman's, I think. Some comments from others who were also trying to imitate that brand's flavor...
Quote:
For a more “Hellman's” taste, add a bit of extra vinegar and sugar to the mix.
=================================================
I am the queen of Hellman's. I made this recipe to the T, even used the Fallon mustard. It was ok but lacked the zip Hellman's has, and was not as thick.
I had really good French Champagne vinegar and added just a dash. The combination was punchy, but not at all like Hellman's.
I knew from that point on that I had to use more commercial ingredients, as Hellman's is mellow and gets most of its zip from the vinegar/salt combo. I started the new batch using 1 egg yolk and one whole egg and no water, per the ingredient list for Hellman's. The product definitely came out much thicker - a very close consistency to Hellman's.
===============================================
At first I didn't use any mustard, just lemon and oil. I decided to add Grey Poupon, as a spice/vinegar component was needed, and is more mellow than the Fallon. It helped, but it still wasn't there. I noticed Hellman's used sugar and vinegar, so I decided to add apple cider vinegar and a dash of distilled vinegar, and - lo and behold! - I had something that finally had the mellow zip of Hellman's. I finely ground some Morton's sea salt to finish, and it’s a great, cheap alternative that a die-hard Hellman's fan can live with!
I think the basic recipe for the mayo was about what you see anywhere:
Quote:
Ingredients
• 1 large egg yolk
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 cup oil
• Kosher salt

Procedure
Place egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and mustard in the bottom of an immersion blender cup.
Pour oil on top and allow to settle for 15 seconds.
Place head of immersion blender at bottom of cup and switch it on. As mayonnaise forms, slowly tilt and lift the head of the immersion blender until all oil is emulsified.
Season to taste with salt.
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Hope this helps!
exotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
I had been a Hellmans girl for 33 years, I would try different brands here and there but none of them eever compared. Then 2 months ago I tried Trader Joe's Organic Mayo and I was a complete convert from the first taste! It tastes closer to the huge industrial tub of mayo that you find in restaurants that is a little thicker and a little more flavorful. I love it!

I was hoping to try Trader Joe's till I looked at the ingredients. I just won't do soybean oil.

I guess my search is still on for a good one I feel good about.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
The Fast Paleo blog has a recipe for mayo using cooked egg. I thought I saw another recipe on Mark's Daily Apple for one too using cooked egg. If you are leary of using raw eggs, you could check out those recipes.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote