Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Biggest Mistake...Need Help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807400-biggest-mistake-need-help.html)

jewelr80 07-04-2013 11:09 AM

Biggest Mistake...Need Help!

Hi all,

I've been low-carbing for six weeks and was feeling better than I had felt in years. I lost 6 kg and had a lot of energy. I felt on top of the world...Then, I made a really bad decision. I promised myself that I would have an off-plan day on my B-day, which was four days ago. I made really bad choices on this day and I couldn't go back on plan the next day because I was unprepared. I did get back on plan the day after that. I started induction again and it's been four days. However, I can't seem to get back into ketosis ( I can usually feel the metallic taste in my mouth when I am). I've been drinking a lot of water and staying under 20 carbs per day (keeping track of it online). I know I should be exercising, but I feel lethargic after the cheat and don't have the energy. I've learned my lesson and I will think twice before going off-plan again. It's sooooo not worth it. How long does it usually take to get in Ketosis again? What can I do to induce it faster?

SweetSugaree 07-04-2013 11:23 AM

For me it can take three to seven days depending on what I ate while on an off day. If i go crazy and eat sweets, breads and junk it takes my body a week to get back into losing weight and ketosis. If I have an off plan day where I eat moderate carbs, it only takes me two to three days to get back into ketosis and lose weight. Everyone's body is different. Your body may be like mine and take awhile to get back on track. This is why I rarely cheat. Losing a week of weight loss for me is just not worth it. Don't give up, your body will get back on track. :)

Julie1972 07-04-2013 12:05 PM

I have had a few off plan meals and it took me a week each time to get back in ketosis and lose the water weight from a single meal off plan. So not worth it.........

thatphdguy 07-04-2013 01:39 PM

Not worth it!!!! I am so glad to read these posts...

llisarray 07-04-2013 08:23 PM

It usually takes me about 3 days to get back on track after a cheat. To do that I eat only meat and drink tons of water. Works for me.

MaryMary 07-05-2013 11:55 AM

Even when eating next to very few carbs, I was never in ketosis. I chose to eat veggies, salads and an occasional fruit. So I finally stuck to making good choices and focused on the long term plan. I gave up manipulating the numbers and just did the next right thing. For some of us it takes longer but it all works out if we stay focused on the real goal which is to have a long healthy life.

dawnyama 07-05-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewelr80 (Post 16500063)
Hi all,

I've been low-carbing for six weeks and was feeling better than I had felt in years. I lost 6 kg and had a lot of energy. I felt on top of the world...Then, I made a really bad decision. I promised myself that I would have an off-plan day on my B-day, which was four days ago. I made really bad choices on this day and I couldn't go back on plan the next day because I was unprepared. I did get back on plan the day after that. I started induction again and it's been four days. However, I can't seem to get back into ketosis ( I can usually feel the metallic taste in my mouth when I am). I've been drinking a lot of water and staying under 20 carbs per day (keeping track of it online). I know I should be exercising, but I feel lethargic after the cheat and don't have the energy. I've learned my lesson and I will think twice before going off-plan again. It's sooooo not worth it. How long does it usually take to get in Ketosis again? What can I do to induce it faster?

:birthday::birthday: I hope you had a great time!!! Like it was posted above, it is very individual and could be a while. Or not. Just keep on keeping on. It will happen again. Don't give up!

jewelr80 07-06-2013 02:48 PM

Thank you dawnyama :) I did have a good time. I don't know what I'd do without this forum and all the great support. Day 6... I'm still not in Ketosis (I think), but I'm still sticking with it. The only symptom I have is loss of appetite. I'm never hungry, but I'm still having insane sugar cravings. I gave up my daily diet coke because I thought it was causing all these cravings (3 days and counting). It's really hard now because I rarely had these craving while in ketosis and I need to get back in. Could I have ruined all my chances by cheating? Is there a way to know for sure whether or not I am in ketosis?

DiamondDeb 07-06-2013 03:32 PM

Happy Birthday!

Just stick to plan & remember that you don't have to be in ketosis to burn fat.

If the cravings are bd you might want to supplement chromium and/or l-glutamine for a while. Both help to kill cravings.

Big Stevie 07-06-2013 09:27 PM

Happy Birthday! This isn't a short term diet fix, it is a life long pursuit. We all have choices to make in life. Sometimes eating off plan is the right choice. But realize, everything has a cost. It takes me three or four days to get back into ketosis. I try to avoid it at all cost, it isn't usually worth it to me.

Having said that, last night I drank four beers with my best friend last night because he is going through a breakup of a 8 year relationship. It was more important for me to be a friend last night than lose weight. It will cost me a couple of days, but it was worth it to me on this occasion.

One final thought, most of us were rewarded with food growing up and it has resulted in weight problems for us as adults. We all need to find a better reward system than high carb foods. Buy yourself some new clothes, jewelry or whatever you are into as a reward instead of some high carb whatever. Buy something that sticks around instead of is just consumed and causes you health and weight issues. Change your way of thinking. You could have had some awesome birthday food like steak, prime rib, lobster, crab, seafood and an exotic salad and stayed on plan and still celebrated. We all need to change our way of thinking. (trust me, I have been there and done that; it does get easier as you go.)

Ntombi 07-08-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryMary (Post 16501293)
Even when eating next to very few carbs, I was never in ketosis. I chose to eat veggies, salads and an occasional fruit. So I finally stuck to making good choices and focused on the long term plan. I gave up manipulating the numbers and just did the next right thing. For some of us it takes longer but it all works out if we stay focused on the real goal which is to have a long healthy life.

If your only measurement of ketosis was the ketostix, they are notoriously unreliable, and give many false negatives. Some people never get a positive reading, but are definitely in ketosis. Not registering positive on the sticks doesn't mean you (or anyone who consistently measures negative) weren't in ketosis.

Aquarius 07-08-2013 09:52 AM

Happy birthday!

You have not ruined your chances forever. I cheated for close to 10 years and here I am, back in ketosis and actively losing (albeit slowly now).

Just stick to plan to the best of your ability. I think you probably learned a very valuable lesson, one that I keep in the forefront of my mind. Eating this way makes me feel good, while eating carbs makes me feel bad. I've separated this from the weight loss, which I'm hoping means I'll be able to maintain this time around.

Good luck to you and don't give up!

jewelr80 07-08-2013 04:36 PM

Thank you so much everyone. Your comments and advice really lifted my spirits. I was feeling depressed because I just took my measurements and realized there has been no change. Ntombi, I don't use Ketostix, but before the cheat I knew I was in ketosis because of the metallic taste in my mouth. I'm wondering whether a blood or urine test would be helpful. I have been having bullet-proof coffee in the morning instead of breakfast. I don't know if this is acceptable. And Aquarius, I have definitely learned my lesson. I will think twice...no make that thrice before I cheat again! I'm going to post what I've been eating. Maybe someone might have some insight into what I'm doing wrong.

Day 1
McDonald's Sausage Patty, 1 serving (1carb)
McDonald's Side Caesar Salad w/o croutons and w/o dressing, 1/2 serving (2 carbs) (I know I should avoid eating this, bu I had to)
Low-Carb coleslaw salad 1 serving (4carbs)
Breaded Chicken Cutlets, 1 serving (2 carbs) Linda's Low carb recipes (suitable for induction)
Feta Cheese, 25 grams 1 carb
Fried Egg, 2 large 1 carb
Coconut Oil, 2 tbsps 0 carb
Asparagus, fresh, 10 spear, small (5" long or less) 5 carbs
No diet soda and 8 glasses of water
Carbs 17/ Calories, 1,587

Day 2
Bullet-proof Coffee (2 carbs)
Rocca Salad (Kababji), 0.5 serving (2carbs)
Chicken Shish Tawook (Kababji), 1 serving (2carbs)
Kofta Kebab, 1 serving (2carbs)
Peppers, sweet, green, fresh, 10 strips (2carbs)
Caesar salad dressing, 2 tbsp (2carbs)
Romaine Lettuce, 2 cup (1carbs)
Cream Cheese Clouds, 1 serving (1carbs)
Sweet Pickles, Mt. Olive (sweetened with Splenda), 51 gram(s) (2carbs)
Chicken, Shawarma (Khazan), 200 gram(s) (2carbs)
18 carbs/ 1,263 calories

Day 3
Bullet-proof Coffee (2 carbs)
Chicken Shish Tawook (Kababji), 1 serving (2carbs)
Kofta Kebab, 1 serving (2carbs)
Broccoli, frozen (Green Giant), 0.5 cup (2 carbs)
Romaine Lettuce, 2 cup (1carb)
Sour Cream, 15 gram(s) (0carbs)
Tostitos Chunky Salsa Medium, 1 tbsp (1carb)
Kraft Singles Original, 1 serving (1carb)
Americana Burgers Arabic Spices, 4 serving (4carbs)
6 glasses of water and no diet soda
16 carbs/ 1,310 calories

Ntombi 07-08-2013 05:56 PM

The ketostix are a urine test, and they're the ones that are unreliable. They work for some people all the time, some people sometimes, and some people never.

Blood ketone test are accurate, but most people don't bother.

If you're following the rules of your plan and losing (at whatever rate), there's no need to bother testing at all. Glad to see you're back on track. :)

MaryMary 07-08-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16505616)
If you're following the rules of your plan and losing (at whatever rate), there's no need to bother testing at all.

I have to agree, Ntombi. Obviously, I lost but never was in ketosis. I tried the ketostix early on but stopped waisting my money. I did induction for just the two weeks recommended by the original Atkins book, then started adding in more veggies.

Ntombi 07-10-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryMary (Post 16505677)
I have to agree, Ntombi. Obviously, I lost but never was in ketosis. I tried the ketostix early on but stopped waisting my money. I did induction for just the two weeks recommended by the original Atkins book, then started adding in more veggies.

I'm glad you stopped wasting your money, since they obviously weren't working for you, but you keep saying you were never in ketosis. My point is that if you only tested with the ketostix, you can't say that. You never got a positive result, but that doesn't mean you were never in ketosis. You lost weight, they are known to be unreliable, many people who are definitely in ketosis based on blood ketone levels test negative via the ketostix.

Therefore, based on results, you probably were in ketosis, but got false negatives.

I just don't want people to think that they're not in ketosis based solely on the sticks, when it's a known fact that they're not fully reliable.