Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Midsections...A-R-G-H-H!

So, I am about 3 pounds shy of original goal, but thinking I may have to go lower cause of my midsection. I am not losing there like I am the rest of my body. I know we discuss this a lot here, so some of us are in the same boat. Do you think if I go a lil lower with my goal the fat will come off there, or should I try something else? I do run which is great with the rest of my body, but nothing is budging that pudge. A lil info...I have had 4 pregnancies so I know that has a lot do with it and I am in a size 8 (no stretch jean, could probably go smaller in a stretch type jean) on a good day. I feel comfy with the way I look now everywhere else except my middle!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Losing more "weight" won't necessarily do what you want. You need to drop the weight loss goals at this point and concentrate on working out to reshape your body.

Cardio is not what you need; strength training/resistance training is more likely to help you lose that last bit. It may mostly be loose skin, too.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 07-04-2013 at 07:41 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Losing more "weight" won't necessarily do what you want. You need to drop the weight loss goals at this point and concentrate on working out.

Cardio is not what you need; strength training/resistance training is more likely to help you lose that last bit.
I was thinking about that! I was doing some strength training last Fall but then got burnt out near the holidays. (that is sometimes easy to do) I need to really get back into it, thanks for the suggestion.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Tummy tuck? Strength and weight training along with body building diets will work if you are dedicated and have a certain body type but even then often women need a little help. My friend who is an excercise fAnatic and hard as a rock just couldn't get those abs of steel so got a tummy tuck . She looks 20 but is 50! Also, if you are working out hard make sure you are getting enough protein and gulp maybe enough carbs so you are not taking away from your lean muscle . Weight loss and muscle building are slightly differnt but I don't know enough to explain it .
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/165/150
WOE: moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I'm having the same problem with my midsection. I know I am toning up and have some good hard abs under there, but the pudge isn't wanting to move. My DH suggested doing crunches.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I am with you all!! I don't think losing more weight is going to help the tummy much at this point. I need major weight training now. Time to get a move on!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Anyone trieid hulahooping?
I find it does help a bit with the tummy muscles.
And it makes me laugh!
For those you you who have not, it helps to get a larger hulahoop than we used as children, and also to start slow because it can really make for soreness around the midsection if overdone at first.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Same here. I've lowered my goal a couple of times because of the midsection. I'm currently working on another 5 pounds, hoping it will help. It IS helping a little, but I'm concerned it won't be enough, and I'm happy with the rest of my body.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Anyone trieid hulahooping?
I find it does help a bit with the tummy muscles.
And it makes me laugh!
For those you you who have not, it helps to get a larger hulahoop than we used as children, and also to start slow because it can really make for soreness around the midsection if overdone at first.
LOL! I maybe can do 3. I will have to practice lots. My daughter will have a blast doing this with me. Too fun.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
My waist is an inch bigger at this weight than it was five or six years ago. But then I went through menopause during that time and they say you start to hold more fat in the midsection then. (And it is slowly shrinking so maybe I'll get back there yet ...)

I can't afford a tummy tuck and I don't like the idea of unnecessary surgery anyway. So I laid in a big supply of Spanx and other shapewear. They shrink you where necessary.

Of course, if you're younger you may very well be able to exercise your way to a tighter, slimmer middle in no time. I always could back in the day. But in the meantime, a few firm control camisoles can do miracles.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Unfortunately the spanx and the firm control camisoles don't make the grade when I'm in bed with DBF! I guess I'm lucky that he is way more forgiving of my body than I am.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I found that my stomach area really improved with the last 10 pounds. I carried most of my weight in my face, chin, and stomach and I had to get to a thin goal weight before those areas thinned out to my liking. So I definitely think for some people you just have to go lower in goal weight before the excess fat will come off those stubborn areas.

No amount of crunches and ab work helped me because the muscles were still covered by the extra fat until I got to goal.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-04-2013 at 03:10 PM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm there too! After 3 surgeries and 3 pregnancies my stomach is Horrible. Scars, stretch marks and lose skin on top of flab. I figure i'll tighten it some with exercise but probably won't ever be great
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I doubt I will ever lose my 'spare tire'. All the other women in my family that are small still have a middle bulge....I'm going to blame it on my genes. Lol
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Jillian Michaels!! Her DVDs really target the midsection. Exercises like planks, mountain climbers, push ups.. These are amazing for the core.
Kiley2801 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/164.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
LOVE Jillian Michaels! But for me, not even she will be able to help. After 6 kids, and carrying way too much weight for too long, nothing is going to take it away.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djlottawa
Stats: 265/196/170
WOE: Low carb/Moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: November 2012
Try Planking. Hard to do at the start, but now I can do 5x5 sessions of about 30 seconds each. (though I shake like a leaf in the wind).
djlottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/165/150
WOE: moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I haven't planked for awhile (although I use the wii fit to do it). May start doing it again because it DID strengthen my core once I got the hang of it
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I am worried about that part too. I am doing cold treatments to my affected areas. Google thermogenesis and Zeltiq and see if it convinces you. I have not looked into the latter, but I do ice treatments for my affected parts hoping they shrink with me.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
Strength training for sure! I'm an apple so I know how annoying the midsection is but I agree w posts about planks and core focused work.
krissakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Ah, the midsection. I have never had a small one, even when I was thin, so I think I will just have to accept it. I have also never been pregnant so I imagine that would make it even worse.

I am losing fat around that area last. I also have chubby upper arms, so I thought I would lose would there last, but the other day I realized I can actually see my bicep.

I heard somewhere that it can take up to a year for the skin to snap back after a significant weight loss. My husband was trying to talk me into a bikini this year, but I don't like the look of the loose skin in my belly, so maybe next year.

My goal weight is based on the "most attractive BMI" according to my Google research. So if I can ever get there, I'm not going much past it, no matter how the belly looks. I'll just dress my "most attractive" bod around it.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RDBhan
Stats: (198) 190/155 5'10"
WOE: Protein Power; Maintenance since 8/11
Start Date: June 2002, refocus 1/2011
I've been through 2 rounds of P90X, Insanity, and a few others. I can plank till the cows come home. I've lowered my weight loss target to something unattainable. My body fat is <15%. But I still have fat around my lower abdomen (I've obviously never been pregnant, though I may have looked it).

I think a lot of us just have loose skin, which is all wrinkly and hanging, rather than fat, which is a bit more stretched out and less wrinkly.

My point is, at some point, you just have to accept that you've done really well and leave it at that.
RDBhan is offline   Reply With Quote