Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Ketosis and appetite

Who doesn't get the appetite suppression everyone talks about??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have never gotten the appetite suppression that many report.

However, being in ketosis takes the 'edge' off my appetite and makes it possible to manage my weight. I can always eat, but I'm not 'driven' to eat as I am if my carbs are too high.

I am so carb sensitive that my appetite is insatiable if I'm not eating very low carb.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/125/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I don't get much, if any, appetite suppression from this WOE.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Who doesn't get the appetite suppression everyone talks about??
Are you certain that you are in ketosis? Some people need to moderate protein and keep carbs very low (25 or less).
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

However, being in ketosis takes the 'edge' off my appetite and makes it possible to manage my weight. I can always eat, but I'm not 'driven' to eat as I am if my carbs are too high.

I am so carb sensitive that my appetite is insatiable if I'm not eating very low carb.
I'm exactly the same way -- ketosis only takes the edge off the hunger. I can always eat...
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DonJo
If I'm in 'mild' ketosis (pink on the strips), I can get appetite cropping up throughout the day. But when I'm deep purple - like I am now - I have zero appetite. 7:00 this morning I had 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, coffee with a shot each of heavy cream and coconut milk, and 1 tiny piece of 77% dark chocolate (barely 1 g of carb). It is now 12:30 pm; I just push mowed the back yard - a decent sized yard - and I am not even slightly hungry. I probably should MAKE myself eat but I don't want to.
DonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
DonJo, I have the same problem, but everyone says to only eat when hungry; not to force yourself to eat ever. I believe there's a section in the book about that point as well.
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
My appetite is definitely decreasing, much to my surprise.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I don't get it, but then again I am rarely in ketosis. It does take the edge off, but I don't mind feeling hungry for the most part. It's just a feeling to be used to.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet513 View Post
DonJo, I have the same problem, but everyone says to only eat when hungry; not to force yourself to eat ever. I believe there's a section in the book about that point as well.
You're absolutely correct, there is. But 45 min. after my post I started to feel hungry - not 'appetite,' but actual hunger, so I ate.

Problem is, right after lunch I stupidly got around to noticing the "real" mayo we've been using is primarily soybean oil. It's now in the trash where it belongs and I plan to make my own. I wonder if the mayo could have been helping my last 10 pounds resist coming off, even while in ketosis. Ah well...it's history now. Forward, onward, upward, etc.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I just heard a podcast today that mentioned that poor quality oils (i.e. seed oils) can be an issue with weight loss.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

This'll teach me to read labels better.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Ketosis has curved my appetite to a certain extent...
I think my cravings are more psychological than physiological
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I don't necessarily get a lower appetite - I just get rid of the need to eat at unnecessary times. I don't feel like I am craving and obsessing over food all day
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJo View Post
You're absolutely correct, there is. But 45 min. after my post I started to feel hungry - not 'appetite,' but actual hunger, so I ate.

Problem is, right after lunch I stupidly got around to noticing the "real" mayo we've been using is primarily soybean oil. It's now in the trash where it belongs and I plan to make my own. I wonder if the mayo could have been helping my last 10 pounds resist coming off, even while in ketosis. Ah well...it's history now. Forward, onward, upward, etc.
I just learned that about my mayo too! I'm going to making a batch on my own so I actually know what's in it, too.
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Are you certain that you are in ketosis? Some people need to moderate protein and keep carbs very low (25 or less).
I do think I am eating too much protein. I also went out and bought urine sticks for ketosis and nope didn't turn pink. I know this isn't the only tool but seeing I am not getting any results and I am hungry with cravings I have to decrease the protein cause I know I have no hidden carbs!!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

Leo I am finding that am am really carb sensitive. R u still doing Judd to keep calories down too?? Judd worked for a while but lead me to binge
Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatphdguy View Post
I think my cravings are more psychological than physiological
I don't know which mine is but if let myself have much more than one slice of low carb bread, there's suddenly part of my brain says "Ah, the heck with it, let's go get a Boston cream."
Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I only get that ketosis appitite supress when im eating VERY VERY LOW CARB and VERY VERY HIGH FAT.. like atleast 80% fat..
even atkins induction doesn't supress my appitite
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
I used to: but not anymore, apparently. .

I don't crave food, but if I let myself eat all that I want I won't lose.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I am not sure what people expect Ketosis to do. Hunger is not abnormal. Even being really hungry at times is not abnormal. Never ever being hungry is NOT normal and to expect that from a healthy way of eating as you would from an appetite suppressant drug is unrealistic. Taking the edge of hunger so you CAN make better food choices and become satisfied from less food is more realistic for most people. Just as there are people out there that can eat unlimited foods and never gain an ounce , you will hear a few people that can't eat a bite when in Ketosis but I still think that "anoretic" state is temporary. Eventually, your body adjusts as does your appetite and you will eventually find an eating and hunger rhythm .
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't know which mine is but if let myself have much more than one slice of low carb bread, there's suddenly part of my brain says "Ah, the heck with it, let's go get a Boston cream."
Haha I hear ya!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I am not sure what people expect Ketosis to do. Hunger is not abnormal. Even being really hungry at times is not abnormal. Never ever being hungry is NOT normal and to expect that from a healthy way of eating as you would from an appetite suppressant drug is unrealistic. Taking the edge of hunger so you CAN make better food choices and become satisfied from less food is more realistic for most people. Just as there are people out there that can eat unlimited foods and never gain an ounce , you will hear a few people that can't eat a bite when in Ketosis but I still think that "anoretic" state is temporary. Eventually, your body adjusts as does your appetite and you will eventually find an eating and hunger rhythm .
I couldn't agree more, but I would emphasize the "making better food choices" part, because a lot of it is up to us. It won't happen involuntarily or without a lot of deliberate, focused and mindful work to change our response to environmental cues, and to overhaul our cultural/personal/mental/emotional eating habits and behaviors.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #24

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
If I'm in 'mild' ketosis (pink on the strips), I can get appetite cropping up throughout the day. But when I'm deep purple - like I am now - I have zero appetite. 7:00 this morning I had 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, coffee with a shot each of heavy cream and coconut milk, and 1 tiny piece of 77% dark chocolate (barely 1 g of carb). It is now 12:30 pm; I just push mowed the back yard - a decent sized yard - and I am not even slightly hungry. I probably should MAKE myself eat but I don't want to.
I saw your later post that you were ready for food later, also.

When we have weight to lose, our fuel comes from food and from stored body fat, so my guess is that your body was actively burning body fat to fuel itself during your exercise of push mowing. So in a sense, you were being fed while you were doing the work/moving/exercise.

Isn't that great?
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I couldn't agree more, but I would emphasize the "making better food choices" part, because a lot of it is up to us. It won't happen involuntarily or without a lot of deliberate, focused and mindful work to change our response to environmental cues, and to overhaul our cultural/personal/mental/emotional eating habits and behaviors.

Peanutte nailed it.
It's a whole change in lifestyle.
I truly do not believe that we can just lose weight and keep it off without other aspects of our life changing as well.
It's a total makeover and we become better people for it.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #26

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Peanutte nailed it.
It's a whole change in lifestyle.
I truly do not believe that we can just lose weight and keep it off without other aspects of our life changing as well.
It's a total makeover and we become better people for it.
Excellent posts.

And, we are being mindful of our foods and we're moving to a style of eating which makes it easier to become satisfied with appropriate portions if we give ourselves the chance to realize it.

On a carby eating plan, I might dive into that roll basket 2 or 3 times, or take a big slab of cake. Suddenly I'd find myself vastly over-full, even though it seemed like I had taken my 'normal' (but greedy lol) amount of bread or cake. With good meats, nice veggies, and enough fat to satisfy, the visual of the portions on my plate is more in line with my actual needs. I eat it, and then I sit back to see if I am just full enough.

So what I'm saying is that for me, it isn't magic, but I am now able to practice eating to fullness and not beyond, and it's much easier to do than it was when I was on carby foods.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I was listening a podcast about Ketosis last night and they were interviewing Mark Sisson, the "guru" of the paleo lifestyle. Very interesting and informative..
IT can be downloaded to an iphone through the iphone podcast app
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

What's the gist of it? I don't have an i-phone or have plans to get one.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
What's the gist of it? I don't have an i-phone or have plans to get one.
Well Bella the things that caught my ear were:
1.- Ketosis is the wrong term. It is better to use to term Keto-Adapted. Keto-adaptation as Emel pointed out to me before and this dude was discussing, can take weeks and even months for some people depending on the way you were burning sugars before.
2.- People are too obsessed about testing for Ketosis. He said that it is better not too have many ketones in your blood...Why? Because that means that the body are using them for fuel.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

thanks guy, I like the sound of "keto adapted" . . . still figuring it out.
I don't think I am there yet, but hope I am getting closer.
I don't test for ketones, but point 2 makes a sort of sense. I am still trying to wrap my head around the science of all of this.