LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Lost my love for bacon in 5+ weeks.

Before going low carb almost 6 weeks ago. I rarely ate bacon... Maybe 8 times a year, and it was like a kid let loose in a candy store.... I wanted more, more more!

Well, in the last several weeks I bet I have eaten 4 pounds - pre cooked weight - of bacon, and I am starting to not enjoy it. I never thought that could ever happen to me, but I guess you really can have too much of a good thing.

Now, I know I can't have any, but what I would really love is be able to eat scrapple again. I love scrapple more than steak... But scrapple is definitely not low carb..

For those not in the know, SCRAPle is basically all of the scraps of a pig, mixed with spices and cornmeal, and made into a loaf. You slice it, some dredge it in flour, and fry it in a pan. Some people put maple syrup on it, some put jelly, and I prefer ketchup. It is a Philly area favorite, usually eaten at breakfast.

So, sadly, I can't have that, am needing a break from bacon, and am not a fan of pork roll.

I never could have guessed I wouldn't want to eat bacon! Makes me kind of sad.

Are there any foods that you have grown tired of eating since going low carb?

Here are a few more for me..... Buffalo wings, eggs in any form, salad greens, and blue cheese dressing.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I am not sick of bacon, but then I eat it in many different ways. For instance, instead of always having it w/eggs for breakfast, I often make it in a BLT salad w/sliced hard boiled eggs, and my homemade french dressing, (w/out real sugar.) I like blue cheese dressing, but I need variety in my LC woe. Sounds like you do too.

I also use bacon draped over a roasted chicken, to enhance the gravy drippings---which I DO NOT add flour to. Just a bit of white wine and it's delicious, if not as thick as the gravy some eat.

And, occasionally, I have a BLT on toasted Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread, which only costs me about 10 grams of carbs, and is well worth it, for me.

I did the low carb thing 4 years ago, and lost a lot of weight. But I fell off the wagon primarily because I did not explore new and different LC recipes and products. I got in a rut w/it, and I got bored.

Maybe you could try breakfast sausage for a change, w/a drizzle of reduced sugar maple syrup. And as for salad dressings, there are MANY LC choices you can make for yourself w/just a few tweaks.

Low carb eating is much more work, if you want a varied diet, no doubt about it. But it IS possible, I am finding this time around, very possible.

Take heart Garlic, you are still at the beginning of this journey. Much to learn and explore, and the good news is, you are VERY GOOD at asking for support and knowledge. I really admire that.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I am w you on the bacon. I almost never eat it anymore. Oddly enough, though, if I'm fantasizing about off plan food, it's usually a BLT at The Mission Dinner, where they have a really yummy freshly baked rosemary bread. Sigh.

I have also over done the pork butt roasts, but I think I'll come around again on that one.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Funny.. I had pork butt tonight cooked in ACV, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I am w you on the bacon. I almost never eat it anymore. Oddly enough, though, if I'm fantasizing about off plan food, it's usually a BLT at The Mission Dinner, where they have a really yummy freshly baked rosemary bread. Sigh.

I have also over done the pork butt roasts, but I think I'll come around again on that one.
How about grilling up a pork tenderloin? You can make an excellent condiment to go with this by mashing up cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. That is, if you like cilantro.

If not here's a great sauce to jazz up ANY meat: Saute garlic and minced onions-doesn't take much, then add in a splash of HWC and dill. Take it off the heat and add a squeeze of lemon. Yum.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I go through phases with bacon, and lots of foods. I have weeks when I don't eat it at all, and times when I eat it daily.

I still stock up when it's on sale, then stick it in the freezer, because I know I'll be in a pro-bacon phases again eventually.

Buffalo wings are another for sure. As are eggs. I have months when I go through more than five dozen, and months when I eat less than one dozen.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nance1
Scrapple, I used to make it without the flour - w/ketchup. I live in a place where they don't sell the red brick one. So i have not had it in probably 20 years. I had been craving it for months before I went low carb.

Moved from Philly when I was 8.
Nance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
I have never had scrapple but can you adapt it so it is made with flax meal and almond meal??
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
I have never had scrapple but can you adapt it so it is made with flax meal and almond meal??
Maybe, but I just use store bought..... It wouldn't be very easy to get all the different scraps.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I go through ups and downs with most food.... Apart from cheese... Cheese I can eat anytime, anywhere!

Right now I'm on a saurkraut high. Not sure if it will last, but right now I'm enjoying the love affair, LOL!

Bacon is not something I eat every day, maybe once a week or less. I love it, but I can never just eat a few rashers...

I also have specific egg phases. Right now, it's hardboiled eggs with mayo. Next week it could be scrambled eggs with smoked salmon or omelettes with feta, spinach and bacon... I never know!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I go through this too. I can't stand the thought of eating a chicken wing. Makes me gag! I ate more veggies yesterday to give myself a break from meat. Usually if I don't eat something for a week, I am ready for it again...except for chicken wings
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
When I get tired of bacon (almost never) I like these breakfast meatballs. Quick and easy!

1 pound hamburger
1 pound bulk sausage
2 eggs
1 cup shredded cheese (I like cheddar)

Mix up all, form into balls and bake until done.
Store in a zip lock bag.
Pull a few out and heat in microwave when needed.
greybb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Greybb1,

How long do you bake the meatballs? Thanks.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
Most pork products make me gag now.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
My triumvirate of food - bacon, butter and cheese. Which is why this WOE is a good choice for me. When I first learned about Atkins it was like "I can eat bacon? And butter? And cheese?? Heck yeah, I can give up bread for that!" 'Course it turned out to be somewhat more complicated than that, but when I get frustrated I go back to that delightful realization and it helps.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Sometimes Canadian bacon, ham, or sausage will hit the spot when I am not 'feeling' bacon.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I go through phases, too. Right now, I'm really into rarely cooked fish like salmon and tuna, and homemade chicken wings with butter/hot sauce. I've also been making asian vegetable stir fries and putting sour cream on everything. Love crispy bacon, but eat it maybe twice a week.
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'd make those mini meatballs and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Maybe 25 for larger meatballs? Love this idea for something different for breakfast!

I'm trying to keep bacon out of the house because it is my trigger food and I seriously could sit down and eat a pound of bacon without blinking because I have no self-control with it. It's just too hard to only cook up 2 slices with my 2 eggs. I don't have this problem with sausage or any other type of meat so that's usually what I'll do.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LaynethePirate
Stats: 220/215.2/165
WOE: Mixed LC
I eat about 3 lbs of bacon a week...I never get tired of it, but eggs on the other hand...bleh...If I never see another boiled egg again, it'll be too soon! I use bacon as chips...I melt cheese over it and make "nachos" or dip it in ranch dip...mmmm
LaynethePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/161/135
Start Date: January 8 2013
I don't eat pork, at all. So, occasionally I have some turkey bacon, but, it's not the same. The thing that sets me off now is eggs. They can be IN something, but just plain eggs...oh gods no!
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I like bacon, but I only eat it when I'm out to breakfast these days. It's one less thing to buy at the store, one less mess to clean up, and having it less often lets me enjoy it as an occasional treat instead of taking it for granted as a part of every day's meals.

If you're burned out on something, you're burned out on it. It's no big deal. I went through serious asparagus overload early in OWL when I was adding more veggie carbs and then I did not want to eat it for a really long time afterwards. Now I eat it again. I was in a phase where I was loving salmon, and then all of a sudden it didn't appeal to me and I haven't been eating it for months now. I think if you find yourself feeling blah about a certain food you eat all the time, just take it off the list for a while and try a different type of vegetable or meat or whatever.

Really, it could be argued that losing interest in food is a good thing for weight loss; many of us who were very overweight won't be missing out if we learn that it's okay to be indifferent to food much of the time.

There is a difference between boredom and indifference, though. I'm not saying we should feel unhappy with our food or dissatisfied with the repetitiveness of our menus, or annoyed with the way we need to eat. I'm just saying it's okay to not feel much of anything at all about it. I mean, that's what we end up doing with many the carby foods we've learned to avoid--we shrug and think, "Eh, I used to say I loved that food, but now I really couldn't care less." So we might feel that same way about various low-carb foods too, from time to time. I think it's a beneficial mindset to experience, in much the same way we learn to identify and get used to feeling actual hunger vs "head hunger".
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #22

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I could easily eat a whole pound of bacon at one sitting. I stop myself from doing it because it is too expensive and it makes me retain water. Sometimes though it is really hard to stop eating after cooking it.

I have never gotten tired of eating bacon and I don't think I ever would. However, there are plenty of other things I get tired of. Eggs (not as a mix in) I can easily get tired of and sometimes just can't stand the thought of eating them. Then there are other things I really enjoy, but only once every so often. Can't think of an example of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaynethePirate View Post
I use bacon as chips...I melt cheese over it and make "nachos" or
I never thought of doing this. I'm not sure why because there are places that sell fries with melted cheese and bacon bits. I will definitely be doing it now.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Funny... I wish the desire for high carb foods would go away. I am on vacation with my wife and 4 girls, and they all had 7up pound cake and coffee or milk today for breakfast, and I so wanted to have some too. But I had sausage and some guacamole. I am not a fan of breakfast sausage unless I make it from scratch.....

And for dessert tonight, they are having homemade milkshakes....

I will be having a low carb cheesecake that I made for the trip, and it is fine.... but not all that exciting when you have it 3 days in a row because nobody else wants any....
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Greybb1,

How long do you bake the meatballs? Thanks.
If I make them big, I'll cook them at 350 for 30 minutes or so, break one open and make sure it's not pink inside.

If I make them smaller (1 to 1 1/2 inches in diam) I'll cook them about 15 minutes at 350 and break one open to make sure they're done.

The great thing about these is they're easy to heat up and eat for a substantial breakfast and they're easy to drop in a zippy bag to take for a snack or lunch.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Funny... I wish the desire for high carb foods would go away. I am on vacation with my wife and 4 girls, and they all had 7up pound cake and coffee or milk today for breakfast, and I so wanted to have some too. But I had sausage and some guacamole. I am not a fan of breakfast sausage unless I make it from scratch.....

And for dessert tonight, they are having homemade milkshakes....

I will be having a low carb cheesecake that I made for the trip, and it is fine.... but not all that exciting when you have it 3 days in a row because nobody else wants any....
That cheesecake you made sounded pretty good to me!

If you're cooking, how about making creme brulee for the family using Splenda? They can have the sugar browned on top and you skip the topping or drizzle with a little flavored SF syrup.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
If I make them big, I'll cook them at 350 for 30 minutes or so, break one open and make sure it's not pink inside.

If I make them smaller (1 to 1 1/2 inches in diam) I'll cook them about 15 minutes at 350 and break one open to make sure they're done.

The great thing about these is they're easy to heat up and eat for a substantial breakfast and they're easy to drop in a zippy bag to take for a snack or lunch.
They sound great even for dinner!!!
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Before going low carb almost 6 weeks ago. I rarely ate bacon... Maybe 8 times a year, and it was like a kid let loose in a candy store.... I wanted more, more more!

Well, in the last several weeks I bet I have eaten 4 pounds - pre cooked weight - of bacon, and I am starting to not enjoy it. I never thought that could ever happen to me, but I guess you really can have too much of a good thing.

Now, I know I can't have any, but what I would really love is be able to eat scrapple again. I love scrapple more than steak... But scrapple is definitely not low carb..

For those not in the know, SCRAPle is basically all of the scraps of a pig, mixed with spices and cornmeal, and made into a loaf. You slice it, some dredge it in flour, and fry it in a pan. Some people put maple syrup on it, some put jelly, and I prefer ketchup. It is a Philly area favorite, usually eaten at breakfast.

So, sadly, I can't have that, am needing a break from bacon, and am not a fan of pork roll.

I never could have guessed I wouldn't want to eat bacon! Makes me kind of sad.

Are there any foods that you have grown tired of eating since going low carb?

Here are a few more for me..... Buffalo wings, eggs in any form, salad greens, and blue cheese dressing.
I go through phases with foods too and I think it is important not to allow repetition to become an obstacle. There are so many fabulous foods that can be eaten even on induction. Just check out the induction food porn thread for a bit of inspiration!

INDUCTION FOOD PORN!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/124/115 5'3''
the thought of ALL low carb food makes me want to vomit.
eggs, steak, bacon, sausage, plain cheese, FLAX UGHHHHHHH, stevia UGHHHHH!
all of it. its too dense and rich.
im never gonna make it on this diet...
i had some bulletproof coffee and some meatloaf for lunch and i could barely contain my stomach content for hours! I really wanted to vomit.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #29

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I am w you on the bacon. I almost never eat it anymore. Oddly enough, though, if I'm fantasizing about off plan food, it's usually a BLT at The Mission Diner, where they have a really yummy freshly baked rosemary bread. Sigh.

I lived across the street from The Mission for 10yrs, I know your pain.

I dont get tired of bacon but I also dont overkill it. I like to put it in salads, in wraps, in stuffed peppers, in creamy sauces, etc. I use it more as a condiment rather than a side dish. I just prefer it that way.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #30

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online along with Atkins
Start Date: September 12 2014
If I keep eating bacon the way I am, I will feel the same way probably

I find eating a HUGE variety is key for me. Steak for a little bit, then chicken. then, salad with cheese (I use that instead of dressing sometimes) fish, hot dogs, hamburgers made different ways...then, later, when I move up the carb ladder a bit, Linda Sue's recipes
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote