LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
What are you tips and tricks...

Someone's comment in another thread that they held a piece of pizza in their hand for several minutes (before finally winning that battle) made me think of the times I held a forbidden food in my hand that was seconds away from being devoured...or getting in to the car to go get whatever I craved.

One of the ways I talked myself off the edge was to run my hands over my shrinking waistline, or bend and touch my toes to remind myself of all the hard work that got me to the point where I can not only see them...but I can actually touch them without a struggle! While losing weight, I also had a habit of buying a very pretty new dress (love dresses!) that was about about a size too small (only 1 size small cuz I lost weight so slowly). Whenever I was tempted by the food, I'd go put it on, look in the mirror and just give myself a pep talk about how good that dress was going to look on me.

As I lost weight and started feeling good about myself, I also discovered my inner girly girl and whenever I'd hit my goal weight, my husband (not the romantic type at all!) would buy me a ring or pair of earrings that I had admired at some point. Fortunately I don't have expensive taste so this was doable.

What kind of things do you do when you're on the verge of 'giving in'?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
While losing weight, I also had a habit of buying a very pretty new dress (love dresses!) that was about about a size too small (only 1 size small cuz I lost weight so slowly). Whenever I was tempted by the food, I'd go put it on, look in the mirror and just give myself a pep talk about how good that dress was going to look on me.

As I lost weight and started feeling good about myself, I also discovered my inner girly girl and whenever I'd hit my goal weight, my husband (not the romantic type at all!) would buy me a ring or pair of earrings that I had admired at some point. Fortunately I don't have expensive taste so this was doable.
I do the dress thing too! I have one hanging in my closet right now, that I'm just waiting to be able to zip!

Love the idea of hubby buying you jewelry when you hit a goal! I would make lots of tiny goals! LOL
RhondaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Brush your teeth.

Nothing tastes good after toothpaste/whitening gel/mouthwash and you'll have nice white teeth when smiling about your weight loss.

A trial sized bottle of Listerine in your purse is good for times when you're away from home and can't brush.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
First year of LC I Always kept an emergency LC bug out bag. In car or purse . Pork rinds for chips, Atkins bars for sweets (dont normally eat them but thought better than caving to cake), nuts, oopsie rolls (stick pizza stuff on them), GG bran crisps ( i ate wheat then) , and other stuff. Always had an option!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I am an overeater but have learned many things along the way:
*I don't eat in front of the t.v.
*I chew my food at least 10x per bite
*I forgive myself immediately if I eat something off of plan
*I pre plan
*I pray a whole bunch
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
While losing weight, I also had a habit of buying a very pretty new dress (love dresses!) that was about about a size too small (only 1 size small cuz I lost weight so slowly). Whenever I was tempted by the food, I'd go put it on, look in the mirror and just give myself a pep talk about how good that dress was going to look on me.
THIS^^^^^^^

About a month ago I ordered a skirt on-line and hoped it would fit. When I got it I loved it even more than in the on-line pix, which is not always the case, but it was a bit small. I could have worn it w/a top that came over the waste, but it's a belted skirt and the belt is part of what I loved.

I decided to keep it and tried it on whenever I could, including when I was tempted to eat a no no. I have been in a bit of a stall on the scale, but that skirt just kept fitting better and better, until now, when it fits perfectly!

I am going to do this again, on purpose this time, when I find something I love that's just a pinch tight. That skirt was much nicer to me than the scale, and I love that skirt all the more for it.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Funny but i've turned into a bit of a girly girl too! But you tell anyone and i'll deny it! Lol! I bought a pair of heals! Plus a few Very cute sundresses! I've Always been a tom boy country girl so it's been a definate change for me. I kept a skirt hanging on the outside of my closet for a Long time as motivation!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I ALWAYS have a small bag of macademia nuts in my purse as well as in my car so I can NEVER claim I ate something because I was starving and couldn't find something appropriate to eat!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
my favorite thing is to see everyone face when I say no....
I love seeing people's faces when everyone is stuffing their face with cookies, donuts and cake and I'm just like no thank you I don't eat that stuff.. then everyone says how they wish they had my will power and that feels great...
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I ALWAYS have a small bag of macademia nuts in my purse as well as in my car so I can NEVER claim I ate something because I was starving and couldn't find something appropriate to eat!
I also rely on macadamia nuts, especially when traveling!

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'll never let myself forget the chronic pain I had in my left knee before going lc.
Whenever I get tempted, I rub my knee, squeeze it and marvel at being pain free.
No doughy confection is worth the pain.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
I once needed a 5x....4X...3x...2x's now hang on me...I need some new shirt's....and I can sit any where in a restaurant now...Do Not need a table, I fit in all booths very nicely .... my cheats are easy...couple slices tomatoes...Almonds...low carb wrap...sugar free popsicle and thanks to LCF Fat-Bombs....
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I am an overeater but have learned many things along the way:
*I don't eat in front of the t.v. OR COMPUTER!
*I chew my food at least 10x per bite
*I forgive myself immediately if I eat something off of plan
*I pre plan
*I pray a whole bunch
Good One!
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
A big "tipping point" for me was when I actually had to ask for a seat belt extender on a plane! I was MORTIFIED! So, on the internet I found a photo of a person wearing one and printed it. I have it "at the ready" when something tempts me. Always works!
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Whenever I get bad cravings I:

Make a yummy LC treat like SF cheesecake
Look in the mirror and remind myself how far I've come
Brush my teeth
Drink lots of water, to the point of feeling bloated
Eat a handful of almonds (especially the cinnamon or cocoa roasted ones.....yummy!)
Get on the treadmill or just go for a walk
Look at my kids and remind myself why I'm doing this!!!

Those things typically work well for me.
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I love all these ideas!

Frank, yeah the 'fitting into a booth' was such a milestone. It does kind of crack me up though when a hostess will automatically try to seat us at a table even when booths are available.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Funny, I became a more girly girl too after losing weight. I used to wear heels and skirts all the time before I put on weight. I used to buy myself gifts at my ten-pound milestones and for one I bought a pair of heels. They hurt so much less since there was less of me pushing down on them! I told my husband and he started getting me DSW gift cards for holidays and my birthday and now I have a little arsenal of heels. I think about how I don't want to give up my heels again!

Also, I think about what I CAN eat, which is just as delicious to me as that the carby thing that might be tempting me.

It's completely shallow, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I remind myself about how I was this-close to having to shop in the plus-size stores and now I can buy anything off the rack. I've gone from a super-tight 14 to a loose 6 and I guess I'm sort of a vanity case because no slice of pizza is worth giving that up.

I also eat the stuff off the top of the pizza and ditch the crust, all the time.

And like QueenBacon, I revel in comments about my willpower. I enjoy them more than pizza crust.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Aquarius, I don't think it's shallow at all! Once I reached a certain weight, I reveled in the fact that I no longer had to look for plus sizes! The clothes are prettier and look better on me!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
-Plan my foods.
-Prep my foods.
-check restaurant menu in advance online and decide what I'll have before I get there.
-Magnesium for sweets cravings.
-When in doubt, tuck a cheese stick in my purse or take some chicken in a cooler in the car. Can't tell you how many times this has saved me at a party.
-Realizing that for me and the way my body works, one mouthful of an off-plan food is enough to cause cravings for a week, so I won't do the "just one bite" rationalization for myself.
-And then just general stubborness after coming so far with cleaning up my eating. lol
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I keep a bag of raw almonds in the car for the same reason.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
My husband wanted to go to a buffet restaurant. I said okay...thinking there would be plenty of protein and veggies. I got there and was overwhelmed by the variety of goodies. I decided the temptation was great for mashed potatoes! Well my tip...Eat the protein and veg/salad first. I was so stuffed I did not miss mashed potatoes or dessert! I asked if there was anything sugar free and they told me about the jello.
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Last night, I had one of the most difficult battles with myself in regards to LC. I feel ok, I am losing weight, but I am still scared of what the amount of fat I am eating may do to me due to my really high cholesterol.
I worked up myself so much that I lost another pound when I weighted this morning...lol
Very ironic
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatphdguy View Post
Last night, I had one of the most difficult battles with myself in regards to LC. I feel ok, I am losing weight, but I am still scared of what the amount of fat I am eating may do to me due to my really high cholesterol.
I worked up myself so much that I lost another pound when I weighted this morning...lol
Very ironic
Check out "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Dr. Malcolm Kendricks. As long as I'm eating low carb, moderate fat, I just don't worry about it. The medical community has done the same thing with cholesterol that they've done with low carb/moderate fat diets...and it's reprehensible.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatphdguy View Post
Very ironic
Yep, but probably not a long term loss strategy.
When do you get your cholesterol tested again?
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote