Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Do vegtables/fiber make anyone else feel sick and bloated? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807212-do-vegtables-fiber-make-anyone-else-feel-sick-bloated.html)

Tiffany62590 07-01-2013 10:50 AM

Do vegtables/fiber make anyone else feel sick and bloated?

Anyone else here feel sick, bloated, or depressed after eating too many veggies? And by too many I mean, a big salad. Over the past few years I've realized that vegetables can mess up my weight loss, make my stomach bloated pretty bad and usually make me feel emotionally tired or depressed. I think it's more the fiber than anything else; also, I have some gut damage from gluten intolerance so I'm already susceptible to inflammation. I've also heard that women with PCOS can be sensitive to fiber, and it's possible I have PCOS, though I haven't been tested for it (grandmother had it though). A serving of steamed broccoli with lots of butter seems fine, but when ever I try to be 'good' and eat a lot of veggies, even low carb ones, I feel sick and my weight will stall or bounce up. I had a big salad with lunch yesterday and felt moody, restless and bloated the rest of the day. I also went up 2 pounds this morning.

Anyone else like this or am I just weird? :rolleyes:

nolcjunk 07-01-2013 10:59 AM

No, they don't do that to me unless I do close to zero carb and then eat them. So like if I am eating mostly eggs/meat for a week or two and then eat a big salad, then I feel bloated. But, if I eat them all the time (which is the norm for me) then no.

maybe try eliminating night shades and see how you feel. those are things like tomatoes and peppers. i know some people on gluten free diets are told to eliminate them because the nightshades can be a problem for celiacs and people with impaired intestines.

Aomiel 07-01-2013 11:36 AM

What kind of vegies are you putting in your salads? I usually only use the greens (half baby spinach and half spring greens) and my protein. At some point I discovered that even the minimal carbs in one of my 'meal' salads could run as high as 20 carbs or more (not good when I needed to stay at 10 or below). Onions and tomatoes are particularly high. Mushrooms are right up there as well. Perhaps you're getting more carbs than you are aware?

rubidoux 07-01-2013 12:15 PM

I have a hard time w veggies. I can only get away w very few w/o halting my weight loss and triggering digestive issues. I think my digestion probs are mostly due to the fiber. And I'll feel bloated and yucky.

I have been eating avocado or guacamole most days lately and it does make me bloat but I can still lose while eating it. Also, I can get away w cucumber and yellow summer squash and zucchini. I guess those aren't all that fiber-y. Broccoli doesn't work for me at all. :(

Auntie Em 07-01-2013 12:52 PM

Tiffany, lots of folks have reactions to various vegetables.

I eat low fiber vegetables, and rarely eat the ones that cause bloating and discomfort.

The culprits are many: cruciferous vegs for some, FODMAPS, nightshades, allergies, intolerances....

I had to do an elimination diet to find the ones that I needed to put on the "Foods to Avoid" list. I used the FailSafe elimination diet. There is a great blog about it at Wordpress. I do best with plants I grow myself.

All the best to you. :)

shipshemom 07-01-2013 05:23 PM

I started taking a probiotic (2 billion) when I increased my veggies because they did make me bloated & gassy (sorry, TMI). It works wonders, plus I've not had a single cold in the past 3 yrs while LCing & taking probiotics, boosts your immune system too.

cfine 07-01-2013 06:13 PM

Do you find that it's the raw veggies that bloat you? That's kind of what it sounds like. People with gut issues can have issues with raw but do fine with cooked.

thatphdguy 07-01-2013 08:53 PM

It depends on the Day for me
I eat every day 4 cups of Spinach, Romaine Lettuce and Broccoli or Cauliflower.
Some days the Cauliflower or the broccoli gets me gassy and bloated...

exotec 07-03-2013 08:19 AM

I have a hellacious time with veggies, too.

I'm very sensitive to FODMAPs and nightshades. Makes following a restricted-carb lifestyle a real challenge! Anything in the cabbage family gives me the same symptoms you're describing. I can eat salad greens in moderation - for example, perhaps half to a cup of lettuce. I can eat a bit of raw spinach, but not cooked. Go figure. I used to be able to eat cucumbers, but they're starting to not love me, so I have to be very careful there.

The worst part is, cauliflower is such a big substitution item in most low-carb plans, and I can't touch it! The only veggies I can comfortably eat are snap / string / green or wax beans, for the most part. I love carrots and starchy or root veggies, but can't overdo them because they push my carb count up.

:lol:What a dilemma!

Auntie Em 07-03-2013 09:25 AM

I do cook most plant matter a long time, and find that is much calmer.

Here is the link for the FailSafe elimination diet info.

I pick herb leaves and a few tiny leaves of greens and eat them when I'm gardening, and sometimes eat marinated cucumber slices. Avocados seem to be okay once in a while. Other than that, my only raw plant matter is a few tea leaves, these days.

Barry Groves' site, Second Opinions, has some info about eating cooked, rather than raw, plant matter.

I alternate the veggies, and only eat low FODMAP vegs in occasional rotation, and have some days with only a few herbs, tea, and black pepper, as plant matter. It is a challenge to find plants that don't disrupt things.

Only eating plants I grow helps a great deal.

clackley 07-03-2013 11:04 AM

I have to limit vegetables too just because if I go beyond a certain amount, it wakes the hunger monster. I would agree now that I think of it, that they also create some not so nice after effects on digestion.

Auntie Em 07-03-2013 11:26 AM

Cathy, I, too, find that too large a serving of vegs triggers a false appetite. It is different, for me, than the appetite which gets triggered by eating too large a portion of meat at one time. I don't know if it is due to intestinal distension, which Dr. Richard Bernstein writes about, or what....

Nevertheless, I limit vegs to ca. 2/3 cup, cooked, and usually eat 2 - 4 ounces of cooked vegs at a meal. Keeping the amounts of food at a meal small helps me. I keep the meat at 2 - 2 1/4 ounces (cooked weight), small amount of vegs, and lots of beef fat, butter or cream. I particularly like marrow fat. I find offal and marrow fat, and also hb yolks w/ pastured butter nicely satiating.

clackley 07-03-2013 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I also keep my meals to small portions - particularly compared to my former days of high carb eating. I always use small plates (luncheon size) and I have acquired some sushi style dishes for snacks and such. They make the food look like so much more! And I adore miniatures.

I do love to use shirataki noodles to 'beef up' a dish and on those occasions, I would say my servings look a little more like those of the days of old but I only have one and don't go back for 2nds like I use to with carby noodles etc.

Here is a pic of a bit of dill pickle along with a slice of hard salami and a bit of hard cheese. I took a small bite to give it scale. ;)

Auntie Em 07-03-2013 12:04 PM

Cathy, that's a nice photo of a nice meal! I use marinated cucumbers rather than pickles, as they are easier to make. I just peel and slice the cucumbers, then put them in a jar, and cover them with vinegar/filtered water, and add a pinch of sea salt. I let them sit on the counter for a day or two before putting them in the fridge. This method works for many frozen vegs, too.

I often put Kerrygold butter on my cheese, and if I eat cold roast beef, it's nice to smear beef fat or butter on it. I got that idea from Dr. Lutz's protocol, for eating super high fat.

clackley 07-03-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 16498816)
Cathy, that's a nice photo of a nice meal! I use marinated cucumbers rather than pickles, as they are easier to make. I just peel and slice the cucumbers, then put them in a jar, and cover them with vinegar/filtered water, and add a pinch of sea salt. I let them sit on the counter for a day or two before putting them in the fridge. This method works for many frozen vegs, too.

I often put Kerrygold butter on my cheese, and if I eat cold roast beef, it's nice to smear beef fat or butter on it. I got that idea from Dr. Lutz's protocol, for eating super high fat.

Thank you for sharing that bit about marinating cukes. I am expecting a influx soon from my teeny, tiny garden and this will work great as I pick them!

Cannot get Kerrygold here. I am so jealous!

Auntie Em 07-07-2013 07:13 AM

Cathy, can you get local raw butter?

I use ordinary white vinegar with a few drops of malt vinegar, and sometimes add filtered water. They last as long as pickles in the fridge.

clackley 07-07-2013 09:10 AM

No pastured raw butter to be had here in Ontario that I am aware of and I have looked. I am pretty sure that raw is not allowed and although I did find grass fed butter for a short time, it was prohibitively expensive ($14 per 1/2 lb). There is organic, pastured butter of sorts but they are also grain fed. Better but not sure that is worth the price of 10 or 11 $ per lb.

gordita 07-09-2013 10:13 AM

I have PCOS and I noticed that when I went to Subway and got the chopped salads - both times I felt pretty icky after. This used to happen to me when I was pregnant, too - I couldn't eat lettuce of all things.

CindyCRNA 07-09-2013 01:23 PM

I can't do raw. Gave up the big salad about 2 years and my bloating / gas disappeared. It was horrid! And I really like a salad and can do a small one but not 2 days in a row.

Auntie Em 07-10-2013 01:46 PM

Cathy, raw dairy is sold here as pet food.

Gordita, salads at restaurants are often washed in chemicals I would not want to ingest. Dr. Blake Donaldson states in his book, Strong Medicine, that lettuce is one of the most difficult things to digest. I know several people who avoid it.

Cindy, I'm glad you found the solution! I grow some greens and herbs, and can have those with avocado, marinated cucumbers, and even occasionally, a few bites of homegrown tomatoes. What do you put in your salads?

CindyCRNA 07-10-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 16508764)
Cindy, I'm glad you found the solution! I grow some greens and herbs, and can have those with avocado, marinated cucumbers, and even occasionally, a few bites of homegrown tomatoes. What do you put in your salads?

Usually a pile of dark lettuce (think baby greens) red onion, bell peppers, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes. I think the issue is volume. I bet it is easily 5 cups, if not more.

Auntie Em 07-10-2013 02:11 PM

Cindy, thanks for the ingredients. I'm glad you do well with those. Yes, volume could be problematic. Dr. Richard Bernstein writes about the Chinese Restaurant Effect, of anything which causes intestinal distension raising blood sugar. I read somewhere else that anything containing calories stimulates insulin production, but I don't have a good reference for that. It seems to be true for me, though.

I sometimes eat cold, cooked vegs for a "salad".

~PaperMoon~ 07-10-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany62590 (Post 16495357)
Anyone else here feel sick, bloated, or depressed after eating too many veggies? And by too many I mean, a big salad. Over the past few years I've realized that vegetables can mess up my weight loss, make my stomach bloated pretty bad and usually make me feel emotionally tired or depressed. I think it's more the fiber than anything else; also, I have some gut damage from gluten intolerance so I'm already susceptible to inflammation. I've also heard that women with PCOS can be sensitive to fiber, and it's possible I have PCOS, though I haven't been tested for it (grandmother had it though). A serving of steamed broccoli with lots of butter seems fine, but when ever I try to be 'good' and eat a lot of veggies, even low carb ones, I feel sick and my weight will stall or bounce up. I had a big salad with lunch yesterday and felt moody, restless and bloated the rest of the day. I also went up 2 pounds this morning.

Anyone else like this or am I just weird? :rolleyes:

Wow I've never heard of veggies doing that to someone. I eat veggies all the time now, never had any problems. I never thought a salad could do that to someone.

CindyCRNA 07-10-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ (Post 16508870)
Wow I've never heard of veggies doing that to someone. I eat veggies all the time now, never had any problems. I never thought a salad could do that to someone.

Cooked doesn't do it to me. Just raw.

Ntombi 07-10-2013 10:13 PM

I'm strongly allergic to all raw fruits and vegetables, but not cooked, so I'm not surprised that some people experience other kinds of negative reactions to raw roughage.

gordita 07-12-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 16508764)
Gordita, salads at restaurants are often washed in chemicals I would not want to ingest. Dr. Blake Donaldson states in his book, Strong Medicine, that lettuce is one of the most difficult things to digest. I know several people who avoid it.

Thanks, that makes sense!

CurlsNCuffs 07-15-2013 05:52 AM

This is interesting. I avoid a few veggies for that reason.

Sadly, fruit too. I cannot eat apples. And, I love them.

Demonica 07-15-2013 07:17 AM

I found that I have to severely restrict my favorites, broccoli and cabbage. I had to cut out broccoli last week due to the bloating and stomach ache, but I AM going to add it back it a little bit at a time (especially with the broccoli and cauliflower salad recipe my stepmother gave me:yummy:)

Bobbin 07-15-2013 10:52 AM

A big salad or too many nuts....there is no real digestion happening with me, just intestinal discomfort, and it all comes out looking the same as when it went in. :o So, no. I am one that can't do too much fiber either.

Auntie Em 07-15-2013 12:14 PM

CurlsnCuffs, I have heard many people say that they can't eat apples. I know some who can eat certain varieties, but not others, and only organic.

Here is some FODMAPs info, in case that is of use:

Personal view: food for thought – western lifestyle and susceptibility to Crohn's disease. The FODMAP hypothesis - Gibson - 2005 - Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics - Wiley Online Library

Evidence-based dietary management of functional gastrointestinal symptoms: The FODMAP approach - Gibson - 2009 - Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology - Wiley Online Library