LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Cheese is harder to give up than sugar!

I had no idea I was such an addict! I keep telling myself I'm giving up cheese, and I keep eating it. At the store I love to buy it! Once I counted and I had 7 different types of cheese in my cart.

This is enlightening and embarrassing. Can anyone tell me why cheese is so addictive? Is there a type that is safe? Has anyone else had it this bad and successfully eliminated it from their diet?

This past week I made it 5 days. I ate some cheese yesterday. Today I'm recommitted; I'm going to build on last week's success. Seriously, giving up sugar was not this tough. Am I crazy?
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
I too am a cheese-o-holic!! I had to take baby steps but I rarely have it anymore.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
A1 casein ?
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I just keep my cheese at inductoin levels (4 oz a day), and seems to be ok.
One way that I keep to the straight and narrow is to buy 1 ounce packages.
However, I also buy other cheese, but my coop packages the ends and odd pieces of their cuttings of regular cheese so that I get some smaller packaged taste treats as well.
I have found that the longer I go with this low carb thing, the more satisfied I am with small amounts of cheese. I must confess, though, once last week to finding myself mindlessly eating parmesan with a spoon right out of the container.

I don't yet feel the need to eliminate cheese. My problem is limiting nuts and cold turkey is the only way I can deal with them. They don't find their way into my house. Perhaps this is what you might consider. Simply don't buy it. Don't put it on your shopping list, and stick to your shopping list.

Last edited by Patience; 06-30-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Aleina, can you tell me more about the A1 casein? Well, I guess I can google it. Thanks for the lead.

Bella, yes, totally I will stop buying it. And I have the nut problem, too! But they were much easier to give up than cheese. I think you're right, cold turkey has to be the way, but I can't believe how much I end up thinking about it and wanting it. I'm torn between what you said, just keeping it at reasonable levels. But the fact that I'm so drawn to it makes me think I'd be better off without it.

Thanks for the input so far!

Last edited by Yvonnem2000; 06-30-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I have problems overeating cheese
So like Bella says, I just do not buy it. I miss it thou
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Ok, so I just googled and got the very quick overview of the A1 casein issue. The fact that it has an opioid effect could certainly explain how hard it is to give up! I'll continue to read.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I've thought about giving up the cheese, but honestly, it's one of my favorite parts of this WOE. Why do you want to give it up? Does it seem to slow your losses? Did you lose better on the 5 days that you didn't eat it? I'm just curious because I've thought about giving it up to see if I lose faster, but I just really don't WANT to. But I do also keep it at induction levels and never eat more than 4 ounces per day, and most days it's not 4 ounces.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Yvonnem2000: Ok, so I just googled and got the very quick overview of the A1 casein issue. The fact that it has an opioid effect could certainly explain how hard it is to give up! I'll continue to read.

(Sorry--I don't know how to do that quote box thing...)

I've never been one for medications--never realized I medicate with cheese! Personally, I'd rather lose slowly than give it up! In my family, cheese is it's own food group!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
I LOVE CHEESE!!!

I tried giving up cheese, but I just couldn't do it. Thankfully it is at least limited on a low carb lifestyle, because I could never ever give it up.
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
You may verry well be addicted. It seems cheese has small quanities of opium like
compounds.

http://www.articlesbase.com/home-and...se-339851.html

Last edited by E.W.; 06-30-2013 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: link was bad
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Sometimes people who crave dairy are actually allergic to it, so you could look into that as well.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Yup. Love me some cheese. I do okay as long as I keep it under 4 oz. after that: I'm a goner. I'll just keep eating it. I feel your pain (sigh.)
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gatton
My doctor told me to stop eating dairy products. So, a couple of months ago I stopped eating cheese. I love cheese, and I sure do miss it sometimes. But, I don't buy it; out of sight, out of mind.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Yvonne, I'm in the same group. I sometimes put hard- or soft-boiled egg yolks in a custard cup and mash them with lots of butter that is still a bit firm, and that seems to satisfy a bit of the "I want cheese" hunger.

Perhaps it is the opioids or amines or casein, or the breed of cows, or the texture, or the addiction/allergy dynamic.

I take breaks from cheese, but find that, when not eating cheese, I start craving nut butters (which I don't eat), so there must be something about a need for fat, for me, in the cheese-craving department.

Yoghurt made from heavy cream, and the egg yolk-and-butter mixture have been my best solutions so far. A half of an avocado helps, too.

Some eat macadamia nuts, instead. I don't find those satisfying or satiating.

I think there is some configuration of nutrients that cheese must provide, or it increases endorphins??? or something that some of us need. Oh to be a biochemist in this area.....

I look forward to reading how others have solved the cheese challenge.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I have tried to cut back on dairy, but what's life without cheese?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I have tried to cut back on dairy, but what's life without cheese?
I'm w/you Avid. I'm a slow loser anyway, who knows which of this or that it is that makes it so, or maybe it's just the way my body works. But I do know there's no way I'm giving up cheese. This woe would be way too restrictive for me w/out dairy. I don't eat a lot of it and days will go by w/out my eating it. But when I want it, I want it.

I'm always one to ask myself what I can live w/over the long haul, stay on plan with, and not feel deprived. I'm not in as much of a hurry to lose the weight as I am committed to staying on this woe, and enjoying it.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I'm w/you Avid. I'm a slow loser anyway, who knows which of this or that it is that makes it so, or maybe it's just the way my body works. But I do know there's no way I'm giving up cheese. This woe would be way too restrictive for me w/out dairy. I don't eat a lot of it and days will go by w/out my eating it. But when I want it, I want it.

I'm always one to ask myself what I can live w/over the long haul, stay on plan with, and not feel deprived. I'm not in as much of a hurry to lose the weight as I am committed to staying on this woe, and enjoying it.
I agree. I would sad if I had to give it up and I feel for those who can't lose while eating it. I'm very grateful to be one of those who is able to eat it pretty liberally and not suffer for it.

On the other hand, as long as you can eat delicious meat, chicken and fish as well as oils and butter, it's still pretty darned good ...
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
I agree. I would sad if I had to give it up and I feel for those who can't lose while eating it. I'm very grateful to be one of those who is able to eat it pretty liberally and not suffer for it.

On the other hand, as long as you can eat delicious meat, chicken and fish as well as oils and butter, it's still pretty darned good ...
I agree, Rhubarb. And I did not mean my post to be unfeeling for those who must cut out cheese to lose. BUT, I do question whether they have to cut it out to lose faster, vs. whether they have to cut it out to lose at all. I realize there are several folks here in the latter category, and I respect that, and like you, feel fortunate that is not my problem.

Fact is, you can cut yourself down and down and down, in carbs, calories, dairy and whatever, and yes, you might lose weight doing that. BUT, can you maintain it? As a person whose been there done that, I can honestly say I'm not going to live on meat and eggs for the rest of my life. Not. I know this about myself.

So honestly, I don't cut ANYTHING just to lose weight faster. I'm OK w/the rate I'm losing it at ---slow by some standards. But then again, I'm still on my woe, and happy to be there, and I am still losing.

Having said that, I will and do adjust certain things, but only those things I think I can maintain comfortably. I have learned that for me, that's the only way to stay on plan. As always, YMMV.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
Cheese never seemed to slow my weight loss. I used to call it my "candy" since I snacked on it regularly instead of sugary stuff. Swiss is my favorite. Very filling for me. I still eat cheese every day on maintenance.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I really don't think adult humans are meant to eat dairy but it is really hard to wrap one's head around that when it has been marketed as a necessity of life.

I eat extremely clean and mostly unprocessed foods (mustard is one of my processed foods). I experience no cravings, no huge hungers. Life without cheese is so easy.

But if I bought it I could probably live on sharp cheddar cheese alone. It triggers something in me that makes me feel like I need to eat tons of it & buy more ASAP to repeat the act. Nothing that causes those feelings in me can be healthy. I work at not buying cheese and just enjoying a bit when I am away from home.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
A safer choice of cheese is organic raw cheese. I get that when I indulge in cheese.

Regular dairy is likely filled with hormones and more. I think those things cause problems for many people.

But I still don't think we should be eating it at all for optimal health.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Diamond Deb makes a good point. It seems that humans are the only animals who eat milk products into adult hood. Add that to the fact that the domestication of livestock is a relatively new phenomena in terms of human evolution and a strong case can be made in support of her point. Personally, one of my nutrition heros, Dr. Terry Wahls eliminates dairy in her "food is medicine" diet.
Sooooooooo.....that brings us to the other main point of this thread. How many foods can you eliminate from your woe and not feel deprived and doomed to fail?
For me the answer is ALOT, but alas dairy is not one of them.
Coffee with hwc is one of my real dietary pleasures. Melted cheese over veggies is another. Yogurt mixed with fresh berries yet another. I no longer eat pancakes, bagels, pasta, rice, potatos, bananas, melons, Italian bread, cake, pie and a host of other foods that most people enjoy on a regular basis. I rarely feel deprived without them. But giving up dairy would put me over the edge.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Diamond Deb makes a good point. It seems that humans are the only animals who eat milk products into adult hood. Add that to the fact that the domestication of livestock is a relatively new phenomena in terms of human evolution and a strong case can be made in support of her point. Personally, one of my nutrition heros, Dr. Terry Wahls eliminates dairy in her "food is medicine" diet.
Sooooooooo.....that brings us to the other main point of this thread. How many foods can you eliminate from your woe and not feel deprived and doomed to fail?
For me the answer is ALOT, but alas dairy is not one of them.
Coffee with hwc is one of my real dietary pleasures. Melted cheese over veggies is another. Yogurt mixed with fresh berries yet another. I no longer eat pancakes, bagels, pasta, rice, potatos, bananas, melons, Italian bread, cake, pie and a host of other foods that most people enjoy on a regular basis. I rarely feel deprived without them. But giving up dairy would put me over the edge.
And again Avid, Yeppers! I too have given up a lot. And I'm ok w/what I've given up, most of the time. I allow for the moments I'm not OK w/it, figure it's part of the challenge. And honestly, I miss potatoes, rice and pasta very little, considering how much I once loved all of them. Bread remains a challenge for me, but I've found some LC subs that work quite well for me, now and then.

So really, as always it's a matter of YMMV. Sometimes on this board, it seems like the only answer is to keep cutting out everything you enjoy, even after you've cut out so much. I don't buy that method, I cannot afford to as I know it won't work for me.

But I truly do wish anyone trying to cut yet more the best of luck. If you can't stop eating cheese, that's a problem. If you replace sugar w/cheese, that's a problem. And I DO understand that.

Thankfully, there are some on this thread who are doing just swell w/out cheese, and that should be an inspiration to those who overdo on cheese, and must cut it out.

One of the greatest joys for me on this LC woe, is that I don't love ANY LC foods THAT much. Not one of them. So while I like LC foods, I'm rarely tempted to go overboard w/them. More so now, than ever, as I've gotten my footing on this thing. For me, LC is a huge relief, in many ways. It delivers me from what I LOVE, to what I just like, and all that comes w/that.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
And again Avid, Yeppers! I too have given up a lot. And I'm ok w/what I've given up, most of the time. I allow for the moments I'm not OK w/it, figure it's part of the challenge. And honestly, I miss potatoes, rice and pasta very little, considering how much I once loved all of them. Bread remains a challenge for me, but I've found some LC subs that work quite well for me, now and then.

So really, as always it's a matter of YMMV. Sometimes on this board, it seems like the only answer is to keep cutting out everything you enjoy, even after you've cut out so much. I don't buy that method, I cannot afford to as I know it won't work for me.

But I truly do wish anyone trying to cut yet more the best of luck. If you can't stop eating cheese, that's a problem. If you replace sugar w/cheese, that's a problem. And I DO understand that.

Thankfully, there are some on this thread who are doing just swell w/out cheese, and that should be an inspiration to those who overdo on cheese, and must cut it out.

One of the greatest joys for me on this LC woe, is that I don't love ANY LC foods THAT much. Not one of them. So while I like LC foods, I'm rarely tempted to go overboard w/them. More so now, than ever, as I've gotten my footing on this thing. For me, LC is a huge relief, in many ways. It delivers me from what I LOVE, to what I just like, and all that comes w/that.
good post Blue!!!!!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
I'm trying to cut down on cheese and dairy, mainly because of calories. I don't exercise much at all and I simply have to start cutting calories more. If I had to cut cheese totally out, I would probably just throw up my hands and yell "*&%$ it, I'm just going to be fat!" I can't even EAT salad without at least an ounce or so of cheese, it makes me sick to my stomach and it doesn't taste good. Since salad is pretty much a staple (and one of the few things you can get that's lc friendly ANYWHERE you go), It would be completely impossible to stop having cheese.

That said, I don't usually *crave* any kind of dairy product. It's just that it's impossible to cut completely out.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I think I would examine, for my own self, any food which causes me to want more and more of it when I eat it.
Thankfully, cheese doesn't affect me that way.

I very rarely eat cheese by itself-- maybe that's what helps with being satisfied with just a little. I love appetizer assortments--- cold meats, nice cheeses, veggie strips, nice mustards or a guacamole for a dip.
(one exception is when I have an emergency string cheese in my purse at a party, but even then there's usually raw veggies to grab at the party)

ETA... to be more complete, I was trying to think of a food that does make me want more and more, and all I can think of was bread on the old way of eating, and sweets. I have to portion out my sugar-free sweets so I don't go overboard on them. So that would be my food that is a trouble to me like cheese is to other folks here in this thread.

Last edited by emel; 07-04-2013 at 02:56 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
In another thread, a group of us discussed Dr. Stephen Gullo's "The Thin Commandments".

Maybe folks with any food-specific issue, including cheese, might like to see Gullo's bullet points:

1. Strategy is stronger than willpower.
2. Think historically, not just "calorically."
3. The problem may be in the food, not you.
4. Structure gives control.
5. Separate mood from food.
6. Take control of your favorite foods.
7. Slips should teach you, not defeat you.
8. Stop feeling deprived.
9. Treat your calories like dollars.
10. Losing weight is half the job. Keeping if off is the other half.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatton View Post
My doctor told me to stop eating dairy products. So, a couple of months ago I stopped eating cheese. I love cheese, and I sure do miss it sometimes. But, I don't buy it; out of sight, out of mind.
Same here. Avoid the aisle with cheese completely. We cut back when I sat down to do a weekly menu and realized more than half our meals contained cheese Decided to experiment and cut us off cold turkey. Actually did not miss but forced me to reevaluate the way we eat and what we eat. Our exceptions were small amounts of goat cheese and ricotta in salads and omelets. It has been two years and we have the gooey stuff once or twice a month. I vacuum pack the leftover cheese and put in freezer. My budget was also pleased at how the experiment went
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #30
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I gave up dairy for a few weeks and saw no difference at all in my weight loss or how I felt. It was not that hard but I certainly prefer not to have to eliminate that food group.

The idea that humans are the only animals who eat dairy into adulthood is striking at first but then consider that humans are also the only to cook their food, and many, many more things. We are unique in many ways.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote