Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
And certainly lots of animals will eat dairy if fed dairy.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
ETA... to be more complete, I was trying to think of a food that does make me want more and more, and all I can think of was bread on the old way of eating, and sweets. I have to portion out my sugar-free sweets so I don't go overboard on them. So that would be my food that is a trouble to me like cheese is to other folks here in this thread.
Yep, for me it's bread. All the way. I could cut windows and a door in a beautiful loaf of homemade bread and live inside. I eat less of other things now because there's no bread to go w/it. Enjoyed the "Ten Commandments." Thanks.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Cheese addictive

I used to have a problem with cheap cheese until I found out that a friend who was celiac could not have it as it had flour added to it!
The hard cheeses did not have the flour added so it was easier to have less!
And we all know about wheat causing incredible addictive issues from Wheat Belly!
So I have to admit that since sticking with hard cheeses, I eat way less cheese.
I never buy cheap cheeses anymore, Asa result I eat smaller quantities so my cost is negligible.
I buy aged cheddar, grass fed aged goats cheddar ( the best!) cheese, most hard cheeses.
At a buffet, every time I try that cheap cheddar( the orange and. Marbled kinds) amongst others like farmer, mozzarella, the plastic ones( the worst!) I have to run from those tables .
I went to A Pot luck once and brought. Hard cheese and I had to take it back home as it was strong and folks ate less!!!
Hope that helps?!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
majomor, I so much agree with you about cheese. The plastic ones are so tasteless I am not even tempted. A little taste in cheese goes a long ways for me.
I priortize flavor now and find I can stay below my 4 oz quota without problem. Until I have a serious stall I won't give up my cheese. Nuts had to go. That was a sacrifice I had to make.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
None of my cheese had added hidden ingredients causing problems. Even raw organic cheese is a problem for me. No food that triggers eating urges in me is healthy for me.

I really do believe that we are not meant to eat dairy and that is good reason for me to avoid it even if I don't have problems with it. I've cut other foods from my diet because I believe them to be unhealthy despite the fact that I never experienced any noticeable bad side effects.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Those pre-shredded ones are pretty bad. they add potato flour to keep the shreds from clumping together.

I like good cheese from fancy-dancy specialty stores. A little dab will do you.

Sometimes I'll eat grocery store cheese if I need something quick--I keep it for my husband, and I use some in recipes sometimes. Usually the sharpest cheddar I can get, or a moist block of mozzarella (it's more like fresh mozzerella than the typical part-skim drier brick of mozzarella).
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I wonder if goat cheese presents the same issues for those that are sensitive. I have found some pretty amazing varieties including cheddar.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Goats cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I wonder if goat cheese presents the same issues for those that are sensitive. I have found some pretty amazing varieties including cheddar.
I generally do not have issues with goats cheese that is aged cheddar like Blacks from Quebec in Canada or Montrachet... Both of which are awesome tasting.
The interesting issue here is when you are paying $20 for a small piece of awesome aged goats cheese, you definitely will not be scarfing it down by the buckets!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #39
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Ouch! I guess that does keep a lid on consumption!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #40

True on the cost thing.
And it's so incredibly flavorful--- it's easy to savor a small bite, whereas it's easy for me to gobble up a less intense cheese quickly.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mdog73
Stats: 235/191/194 male 6' 2"
WOE: Atkins - heavy on the meats
Start Date: April 9, 2013
I don't understand, why would we need to give up cheese I thought it was LC. I eat 4 or 5 slices a day usually. Am I sabotaging myself?
mdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog73 View Post
I don't understand, why would we need to give up cheese I thought it was LC. I eat 4 or 5 slices a day usually. Am I sabotaging myself?
Some people try to limit cheese to 4 oz. Some people try to cut back more or eliminate it because they are tweaking the diet to get faster weight loss.
Atkins allows up to 4 oz of certain cheeses per day.

If you cut back on cheese, substitute another fat, don't just cut it out---need to keep those fat counts up.

And then, as discussed, you want to make sure they're not sneaking anything in to your cheese, such as starch to keep the slices/shreds from sticking together. (And I'm not crazy about using american cheese because it's a bit more carby than other tastier cheeses, but that's just me.)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Cheese(s) are likely my all time favorite foods. If calories and / or anything else was not an issue, I could eat 2 pounds a day.... all kinds of cheese!

1. Utra Sharp Cheddar is my favorite.
2. Ultra Sharp Provolone is next
3. Then comes Jetost ( I think that is spelled right )
4. At number 4 we have the various blue cheeses
5. American Cheese
6. Smoked Gouda
7. Vanilla - Blueberry Goat Cheese - so awesome in salads... get it at Costco.
8. Is cream cheese really cheese? Either way, I LOVE IT!
9. OK, laugh, I really love melted Velveeta!
10. Pepperjack

Notice I didn't have any Swiss, or any Swiss-like cheeses.... I don't like them except on a Reuben sandwich!

If I don't soon start losing weight, I will cut my cheese eating by 50%.... if that doesn't work, I may look for a bridge to jump off!
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettycooker
Stats: 189/154/140
WOE: gluten free
Start Date: January 2012
LOVE CHEESE!!!! I have lost more than 30 lbs over the last year. No problems with watching how much dairy I eat. Now?? No weight loss for about 3 months. I have cut way back on dairy and cheese. Hope it helps. Not very happy about this.
bettycooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

cheese

Supposedly cheese is like alcohol, it's a "staller" in the weight lost/maintain world.....due to its high caloric content and salt content....the body is fighting to get rid of that excess water retention...IMHO!
I love it but I don't crave it.
Dr Eades says that if there was one thing that Doctors could eliminate in our diets it would be cheese for the damage it does to our way of eating.
I still do find that when i stick to hard cheeses I definitely eat less and crave it less especially when it costs an arm and a leg.
And I am not fooling myself, as there is no such thing as a cheap hard good cheese, if its cheap then its "not" good cheese!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
The idea that humans are the only animals who eat dairy into adulthood is striking at first but then consider that humans are also the only to cook their food, and many, many more things. We are unique in many ways.
Thank you. This is very true.

I love cheese. I enjoy it immensely and use it in a lot of recipes and on pizza. It is a staple in our home.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: exotec
Stats: 380/216/130
WOE: Primal lo-carb
Start Date: Sept 2007 :-(
I do a combination of LC and Primal for exactly this reason! Paleo is fine and well, but they frown upon cheese, and I just can't go there. Of course, I don't eat the super-processed stuff... I eat hard cheeses, mostly. I do love the little mini cheese wheels, and some string cheese, but for the most part it's better stuff! If I had to give it up entirely, I'd be totally doomed. I will say though, since changing to a LC lifestyle, my craving for cheese has diminished a lot. I used to "need" it daily - sometimes multiple times daily. Now I'm okay to have it a couple or three times a week, and in snack quantity, not as a whole meal!
exotec is offline   Reply With Quote