Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: derago1
Low carb, no weight loss

I am doing under 80 carbs a day and not losing. Not gaining but not losing. I was told that your could lose doing under 100 carbs a day. I have not had sugar and am keeping a close watch on the carbs I do eat, they are mostly fruit and good grain. Help! Any idea on what is wrong
derago1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I'm not sure who told you that but Atkins induction starts at 20 g carbs a day for a reason. Some people can end up eating more, but some people have to stay at 20, 25, or 30 g carbs/day to lose. I would consider 80 g carbs a day to be more moderate carb than low carb. You probably need to lower your carbs quite a bit to start losing. Also fruit and grains probably need to go, at least at the beginning. They aren't helping you and are likely hindering your weight loss.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Are you eating 80 net carbs or 80 carbs total?

Most fruit has high sugar so that is definitely not helping. Post an example of your daily menu and you will get lots of input
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Yeah, I agree, you may want to consider starting with Atkins Induction and getting your carbs from vegetables rather than fruits and grains.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
I agree. Ditch the fruit and all grains and all sugars and starches...this means no wheat, barley, rye, cornflour, honey, rice, pasta, etc, etc.

Also eliminate high carb veg like potatoes, carrot, corn, peas and the like.

I wouldn't lose weight on 80gm carbs a day. It's best to aim for around 20gms a day to start with.

Good luck
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
derago1 hasn't said what plan s/he's following. Some allow limited fruit and grain, like south beach, for example.

Some people can lose with ~80g per day, but they have to limit calories as well.

If you're trying to be in ketosis, you'll have to drop your total carbs to no more than 50g total, and some people need to go lower. To get into and stay in ketosis, most people cannot eat most fruits (small servings of berries are the best choice, but something like a banana is off-limits) and they have to severely limit or cut out grains altogether.

I strongly recommend that you find a plan that seems doable for you, and follow that plan. It's hard for people to formulate their own low carb plan unless they understand the science behind ketosis.

Atkins is easy to follow, and it's the most well-known, but it's not the only good choice.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing!
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Agreed. Sounds like 80 is too high for you. Start lower and building up from there until you find your number.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no reason you can't lose weight on that carb level, but you have to cut the amounts you eat (aka calories) pretty low. many people find the appetite suppression of low carbing easier to do than that.

fruit is pretty much sugar with some vitamins and fiber... perhaps a good place to cut since sugar seems to have more far reaching metabolic effects than other carbs.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
FYI, In general, there are a number of aspects to "low carb," all of which may or may not be a focus of part of a particular low carb plan. Some of the most notable aspects are:

(1) Ketosis: In a non-ketosis state, the brain will burn approx. 100g of glucose per day. If you are not consuming that amount of glucose, then your brain will get the difference in glucose from your liver which has approximately 300 grams of glucose stored as glycogen. Once your liver is depleted, your brain will switch to burning ketones and glucose, with your liver breaking down fats into ketones and through gluconeogenesis your body will make the remaining glucose required of your brain from protein you are eating.

(2) Fat Burning Metabolism: By restricting your carbs, your body will naturally need something else to fuel your body - fats. Dietary and stored fats will be used by your cells in the form of free-fatty acids and in the form of ketones.

(3) Insulin Management: By eating meals with a low glycemic load (no more than approx. 12-15 carbs consisting of foods with moderate to low glycemic index values) it is possible to minimize the amount of insulin released with each meal, which in turn minimizes fat storage caused by insulin, and increases glucagon levels which promotes lipolysis (releasing fat from fat cells to be used for fuel).

(4) Addiction: Many people are addicted to sugars and grains, some which can trigger opioid-like responses, and the lack of which can cause people to suffer the ill-effects of withdrawal symptoms. Generally, be reducing and/or eliminating certain carbs, you can better manage the addictive nature of the substance, which tends to cause cravings that lure you to eat even when your not hungry.

(5) Food Sensitivities and Inflammation: While Low Carb is not technically a inflammation reduction diet, it has some similar effects because many grain consumption is reduced or eliminated. (i.e. many people are not allergic to Wheat/Gluten, Soy Corn, Lactose, etc...but they do have a food sensitivity that they are unaware of, which can promote inflammation, insulin resistance, among other maladies that develop over the long term as a result.

In sum, the less carbs you eat the better. Most plans recommend about 20 net carbs (Carbs - Fiber) to start per day, and spread out over the day, and then in maintenance you can slowly increase your carbs until you find you weight beginning to change. Starting at 80 carbs per day will take you quite a while to get into ketosis. Good luck.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.

Last edited by Taxbane; 07-02-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by derago1 View Post
I am doing under 80 carbs a day and not losing. Not gaining but not losing. I was told that your could lose doing under 100 carbs a day. I have not had sugar and am keeping a close watch on the carbs I do eat, they are mostly fruit and good grain. Help! Any idea on what is wrong
Some people can lose on 80 carbs a day, but it's probably going to be slower and then only when you get the carbs out of your system...but there are so many variables and each person is unique. I'm in maintenance and I don't eat carbs at breakfast and stay at 20-25gm for lunch and dinner. Over that and I start to see a gradual weight gain.

You really need to do two weeks of induction to kick start the process. I don't remember now what that number is but I think it's like 10-15gm at lunch and the same at dinner.

I've also found that the type of carbs make a difference. Even Atkins considers fruits and grains a much later addition. Make your carbs mainly from low carb, non-starchy vegies. If you stick to 2 cups raw or 1 cup steamed at each meal, you'll stay within the numbers.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Sounds like 80 carbs is your maintenance level right now, so you might not be able to lose at that number. If you don't want to make drastic changes, try eliminating one thing like those grains and see where that takes you. If you're still stuck, lower your fruit consumption. You will eventually find what carb level you will need in order to lose. Good luck.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melkhamilton
I'd never lose on 80g/day without severe calorie restriction. I know I'm not alone in this. Yes, some people can lose on 80g. But some can't, and you may be one of them. There are more of us than you may know.

Start much lower -- try 30g if you can't see yourself doing 20. Just give it a try for a couple of weeks and see what happens, it may help.

Last edited by melkhamilton; 07-02-2013 at 06:35 PM..
melkhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote