Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   The scale a.k.a. my frenemy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807071-scale-k-my-frenemy.html)

NewestAtkinsFan 06-29-2013 11:12 AM

The scale a.k.a. my frenemy

I just wanted to vent a little bit b/c I'm sure others of you out there must feel the same way.

So, I weighed myself for the first time in a looonnngggg time. Let's just say... I always knew there was a reason why I was totally against it. :weigh: LOL!
I was so disturbed by the number I found myself weighing myself again 2 hours later to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. :sad: But, on the bright side, in those 2 hours I had lost 0.2 pounds apparently.

Am I the only one that gets "intimidated" by this 12x12, color will vary, numerical presenter? For me this thing is right up there with my other worst fears. I call them the 3Ds- The Devil, Dracula, and Digital Bathroom Scales. LOL :hyst: Just kidding, but you get what I'm saying I hope.

Thanks for letting me vent people. I appreciate you all more than you'll ever know.

LCWizard 06-29-2013 11:20 AM

You are funny!

HATE my scale! We had it out this morning. I feel/look thinner but it just doesn't want to register any loss for this past week. :(:annoyed:

Oh well...I'm not letting it get to me too much.

NewestAtkinsFan 06-29-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCWizard (Post 16492754)
. . .Oh well...I'm not letting it get to me too much.

Anyway you can teach me how to do that! :)

Vilya 06-29-2013 11:59 AM

It's not like I want to be BFF with my scale, but I've come to appreciate it, because it's the only thing that can provide the necessary kick in the tailfeathers if I'm gaining.

I need it for accountability. Not weighing myself is how I ended up at 285. Denial is a powerful thing, but I can't buy into it if "285" is staring me in the face. :D

I only weigh weekly, though. Daily weighing is too stressful, what with the normal fluctuations a body goes through.

thatphdguy 06-29-2013 12:03 PM

I love her this week
I probably hate her the next one :)

NewestAtkinsFan 06-29-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatphdguy (Post 16492796)
I love her this week
I probably hate her the next one :)

Private message me sometime, thatphdguy. Very interested in hearing how you've made your progress so quickly. That's the kind of success I want.

Leo41 06-29-2013 02:19 PM

I totally agree with Vilya. My scale is my greatest asset in weight management because it keeps me from denial.

When I was at my most obese, I had this same scale sitting in the same spot in my bathroom and never got on it. That enabled me to convince myself that things weren't as bad as they were.

Throughout my weight loss and now in maintenance I find that weekly weighing is best. I keep a record of each week's weight to observe any trends over time, but getting on that scale each week is my 'reality check.' It's so easy to indulge in denial, and I never want to go there again.

Ntombi 06-29-2013 02:25 PM

I weigh daily. I don't always like the number, but I've learned over time how my body loses weight, which is like a bouncing ball going down the stairs: new low, bounce up, slowly make it down, get to a new low, bounce back up, and on and on.

So I don't fret about it when it doesn't show that I'm down very day (or even most days). I know my overall trend is down. The first time I did Atkins, I lost over 80 pounds bouncing down, this time, I've lost forty pounds so far, and I'm going to bounce my way to goal.

hockey_gal 06-29-2013 02:41 PM

I weigh daily too. It is just a number. It gives me a guideline...but it is not the only indicator of a healthy life.

I think if you can learn to come to terms with this, it will be a healthy emotional indicator for you. Why are you intimidated by the scale? It is representing something more for you?

Don't be hard on yourself! You are doing the right thing NOW, today. And that is ALL you can do - regardless of the number on a scale. Every day that you do the right thing for yourself is a step closer to health.

What do they say in sports? Keep your eye on the ball? The scale is not the ball in that analogy :)

Arctic_Mama 06-29-2013 03:01 PM

I am usually a daily weigher. Right now I'm not, because it was being more problematic than helpful.

See, when I'm maintaining, I need scale data daily to inform me how to manage my behavior with food - if I'm on the low side of my range I can be more flexible, if I'm on he higher side or over my happy weight range, I need to correct accordingly. The scale is brilliant for this.

But I'm not maintaining anymore - I'm losing more weight. And I was still using the scale to help me adjust my behavior - a good day means I can be more lax, bad result means tighten down, right?

WRONG!

This is exactly what it takes for vigilant maintenance, and precisely what does in most dieting attempts. When actually losing, the scale is irrelevant for me - my focus needs to be on what I can control (behaviors) than on what I cannot control (the scale). I know if I follow my plan to a T I will lose the weight. It might be slow, or in fits and starts, but if my food logs are accurate it will happen. The scale, on the other hand, might bounce up, down, and all around in the meantime, but that is not helpful to me when I cannot manage its output. So I stowed my scale away for a season and am just going by vigilant logging and focusing on having every day on plan.

That is working very well, if clothing is an indicator, and it relieves the problem I was encountering of using the scale to augment my behavior instead of just pushing forward on plan, no matter wha the output. When I get back to maintenance, I'll get back to daily weighing. But right now, after five years of essentially daily weighing (even during pregnancy), I am taking a break. It's hard - I keep wanting to check my weight - but very worth it day to day, to not be getting conflicting signals about my body when what I really need to do must stay uniform for the time being.

Leo41 06-29-2013 03:47 PM

Posted by Arctic Mama--"my focus needs to be on what I can control (behaviors) than on what I cannot control (the scale)"

THIS is absolutely true for me and why I weigh only weekly. It helps me focus on the behaviors. It's those behaviors that DO control the scale, and the scale is the objective measure of my food behaviors.

When I've been 'experimenting' and weighing daily to monitor more closely, I found myself focusing too much on the scale number. That's why I choose to weigh weekly, while others may do better daily.

We all have to find what works for us. But the scale is my ally, not my enemy.

afuentes 06-29-2013 05:09 PM

I weigh daily but I also understand why I might be up or down. It helps me with my food choices too.:)

JMacB 06-29-2013 06:02 PM

I am a daily weigher, and I need to be. I avoided scales for years and paid the price. Now I use it to better understand how I'm doing. My progress has been slow slow slow and like others I see mini bounces up and down but an overall downward trend. For me, daily weighing keeps the scale from having too much power over me.

NewestAtkinsFan 06-29-2013 07:25 PM

Well, the weigh-in this morning was definitely a wake-up call for me. For the time being, once a week on the scale is enough for me at least until I get the number a little lower. And I really like what you said Arctic Mama, When actually losing, the scale is irrelevant for me - my focus needs to be on what I can control (behaviors) than on what I cannot control (the scale). I know if I follow my plan to a T I will lose the weight. It might be slow, or in fits and starts, but if my food logs are accurate it will happen.

Hopefully if I stay the course I will reach my goal sooner rather than later.

Arctic_Mama 06-30-2013 02:07 AM

If you are consistent, determined, and refuse to ever quit, you will succeed.

Yes, maybe that means you might not get as low as you want, and some seasons of life are tougher for dieting than others, but if you don't give up, you CAN'T fail. The rest is just time.

frank 06-30-2013 03:24 AM

I stay off the scales...once a month is enough for me....I prefer a old friend saying "you look like you lost some weight" My goal for the last 10 years is 1 pound a month .... slow and steady.... I am new here, I wish I had found ya'll sooner, the stories are both informative and inspirational......My weight is a life long battle, success has only come when I read Atkins 20+ years ago...1993 I was 388lbs this am I got on the scales just for this post 235lbs .... thanks Frank

Ntombi 06-30-2013 03:29 AM

:welcome: Frank!

frank 06-30-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16493480)
:welcome: Frank!

Thanks.....

NewestAtkinsFan 06-30-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank (Post 16493479)
I stay off the scales...once a month is enough for me....I prefer a old friend saying "you look like you lost some weight" My goal for the last 10 years is 1 pound a month .... slow and steady.... I am new here, I wish I had found ya'll sooner, the stories are both informative and inspirational......My weight is a life long battle, success has only come when I read Atkins 20+ years ago...1993 I was 388lbs this am I got on the scales just for this post 235lbs .... thanks Frank

Welcome aboard Frank. It's great to have you. I'm sure you have plenty of informative and inspirational stories that you can share (doing this since 1993). I def. would like to hear them.

lterry913 06-30-2013 09:11 AM

Love your post, it made me laugh tis morning...I use teh scale but not as much as I judge by my clothing...if it's tight I gotta buckle down.
I agree with Artic Momma...I think it is more helpful when maintaining that losing, as too much adjusting due todaily fluctuations can hinder things.

NewestAtkinsFan 07-01-2013 08:03 AM

Had another encounter with the bathroom scale today. This time it went a lot better. -3.6lbs since Saturday. :jumpjoy:

Jackie123 07-01-2013 09:03 AM

Yeah- I have a love-hate relationship with the scale myself. I do better when I weigh every day, though, because it keeps me focused.

mimivac 07-01-2013 09:58 AM

I am maintaining for now and daily weighing is essential for me. Otherwise, I use it as an excuse to keep going off plan even when I am steadily gaining. I'll think, "It's OK, I can get back on plan tomorrow." If I got on the scale, I would sober up and see that I need to get back on today, not tomorrow. All the "tomorrows" are what got me overweight.

NewestAtkinsFan 07-01-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie123 (Post 16495029)
Yeah- I have a love-hate relationship with the scale myself. I do better when I weigh every day, though, because it keeps me focused.

I'm slowly getting into the habit of daily weighing. To be consistent I try to do it about the same time everyday (first thing in the morning before I start the day).

NewestAtkinsFan 07-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimivac (Post 16495120)
. . . All the "tomorrows" are what got me overweight.

You're right mimivac. I have to concur.

Aomiel 07-01-2013 12:42 PM

I've never allowed the scale to influence me but that may be due to the fact that I can 'literally' gain 7-10 pounds over night just from water weight (way fewer of those days now that the weight is off and I'm consistently low carb). It was always just a way of keeping me 'aware'.

Same now that I'm maintaining. I weigh every day but mainly to stay aware and I don't fret over the ups and downs, particularly if I know I've been a good girl regarding the carbs and how much I'm eating.

Ntombi 07-01-2013 02:02 PM

I weigh daily and measure monthly, and both give me much needed feedback.

The good thing is that the tape measure always gives me good news. Even when I don't lose a pound over the course of a months, I have lost crucial inches.

baileygirl3 07-01-2013 02:22 PM

I weigh daily but also understand if I am up and down, therfore I am in a love hate relationship with mine

thatphdguy 07-01-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan (Post 16494913)
Had another encounter with the bathroom scale today. This time it went a lot better. -3.6lbs since Saturday. :jumpjoy:

That is great :high5:
I weighted today and I gained one pound :confused: even though I am following the plan to the T...I learn from Ntombi that the scale lies. However, it is nice to see a loss every week after being strict with the diet. One thing is for sure: the more fat I eat, the more I lose

melkhamilton 07-02-2013 01:46 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with my scale, yet I just can't bring myself to throw it out. It's like being in a bad marriage where the sex is just good enough just often enough that you keep coming back.