Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 25
Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
Leavin' on a Jet Plane

Anyone who is over weight and traveling on a plane this summer/fall. How do you feel about it? I am nervous about being embarrassed.
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kim in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Depends...under the blistering sun w/humidity or in a snowdrift...depends on the season
Posts: 6,749
Gallery: Kim in MN
Stats: 294/---/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/2014....again.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueYou View Post
Anyone who is over weight and traveling on a plane this summer/fall. How do you feel about it? I am nervous about being embarrassed.
I just flew a week ago on Delta -- I am 298 lbs. and did not require a seat belt extender and in my opinion, did not crowd my seat mates in my row. I was worried before I left too so I understand your feelings.
Kim in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,736
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I am hopefully done with seatbelt extenders but I needed them until I was about 260 lbs. This summer is the first time I will be flying in a long time that I am not worried about it, so I know how you feel.

If you think you will need a seat belt extender, ask the flight attendant for one as soon you get on the plane. Don't be embarrased to ask for it - just be matter of fact. They will probably bring it back to you when they are done with the safety instructions. They have a limited number of seat belt extenders, so don't wait to ask for it if you need one. I have my own, but last summer the FAA banned those. I still have snuck them on two round-trip flight since then and didn't get caught thankfully.

Good luck!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: East Central Indiana
Posts: 1,563
Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
If it matters by airline, we flew Southwest, I was this size, 280-ish, am big in the belly and butt, and did not need an extender. I wasn't crowding my neighbor, but I sure felt like I was.

Quick Tip - Make sure the seatbelt is hanging over the armrests before you sit down, then you won't have to go digging under the butt cheeks for it!!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,664
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
eh, it's no fun. if you think you might need an extender, it can be good to mention it to an attendant as you board so you don't have to call one, etc. I found they brought them quite discreetly. and to be honest, people will give you LOOKS about taking too much space even if you don't, if you look fat. there is a lot of prejudice. just ignore it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
haferchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 124
Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
As a flight attendant, ask when you are boarding, they are stored up front and we can hand you one right then. Otherwise we get busy and it may take a couple of reminders before we get it to you. It used to be we only carried a couple but now a days they are in abundant supply, and of course we always have the demo seat belt as backups.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 25,285
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by haferchamp View Post
As a flight attendant, ask when you are boarding, they are stored up front and we can hand you one right then. Otherwise we get busy and it may take a couple of reminders before we get it to you. It used to be we only carried a couple but now a days they are in abundant supply, and of course we always have the demo seat belt as backups.
How awesome that you are a FA!! I am sure you have seen a lot of this world! Good info to know, thanks for sharing
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
thatphdguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 382
Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I am going to Europe to visit my parents this Christmas...I just bought my ticket...I have been saving for almost two years and I got myself a Business ticket...I am tired of being embarrassed in economy
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 25
Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
Thanks for all the info!
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CurlsNCuffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,552
Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatphdguy View Post
I am going to Europe to visit my parents this Christmas...I just bought my ticket...I have been saving for almost two years and I got myself a Business ticket...I am tired of being embarrassed in economy
NICE trip!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
haferchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 124
Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Traveling by airplanes and in and out of airports can be a challenge for low carb eating. Take healthy snacks and grab salads or burgers without buns in the airport restrauants. Most of the food they serve on the planes is full of carbs. I carry string cheese, salami and cheese, cut up veggies, protein shakes and low carb protein bars for emergencies. Pre-planning has saved my butt on many occasions. Safe travels!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 25
Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
protein bars

I saw the link for protein bars, but which one tastes the very best?
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
haferchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 124
Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
The one I carry with me, for emergencies only, meaning I don't eat them very often is actually made by "Kind". Dark Chocolate nuts and sea salt. 5 grams of sugar, 6 grams protein, 7 grams fiber. Thats the front side. The nutrition label though says 16g total carb, 7g fiber, 5g sugar. So it's not really low carb but it tastes better than most i've tried. It has lots of almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and dark chocolate. I've tried a few Atkins bars but am not excited with them. If someone has another favorite, I'd love to hear about it.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MtherGoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,196
Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I'm really worried about flying! So afraid of being charged for an extra seat, or just not fitting. I've been driving everywhere I go just to avoid the issue, but it would be nice to know I could fly without embarrassment or worry.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,736
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I'm really worried about flying! So afraid of being charged for an extra seat, or just not fitting. I've been driving everywhere I go just to avoid the issue, but it would be nice to know I could fly without embarrassment or worry.
If you are currently 243 I don't think you would have any issues. I flew in March at 260 and am pear shaped. I had no problems fitting in the seats and did not need a seatbelt extender. This was on United including regional jets.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 25
Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by haferchamp View Post
The one I carry with me, for emergencies only, meaning I don't eat them very often is actually made by "Kind". Dark Chocolate nuts and sea salt. 5 grams of sugar, 6 grams protein, 7 grams fiber. Thats the front side. The nutrition label though says 16g total carb, 7g fiber, 5g sugar. So it's not really low carb but it tastes better than most i've tried. It has lots of almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and dark chocolate. I've tried a few Atkins bars but am not excited with them. If someone has another favorite, I'd love to hear about it.

Okay thanks! Yeah I would love to hear about a low carb bar that tastes fantastic! That is the one thing my husband and I miss about early morning. We used to eat some type of bar while drinking our coffee.
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Formerlychubchick
 
CurveControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 77,881
Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
If it is really upsetting you just go to the airport where you are flying from, to the airline that you are flying with and ask to sit in the demo. Just like with the 'carry on' size check box you should be able to try out a seat, or at the least get seat/seatbelt measurements.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MtherGoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,196
Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
If you are currently 243 I don't think you would have any issues. I flew in March at 260 and am pear shaped. I had no problems fitting in the seats and did not need a seatbelt extender. This was on United including regional jets.
Thank you for letting me know! I worry so much about this! I'm only 5'3" and wearing an 18 right now, and I just don't want to be embarrassed by not fitting. It's good to know that it might not be a problem.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!
 
emily1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland
Posts: 18,587
Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Thank you for letting me know! I worry so much about this! I'm only 5'3" and wearing an 18 right now, and I just don't want to be embarrassed by not fitting. It's good to know that it might not be a problem.
At a size 18, you will not have any problem at all.
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MtherGoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,196
Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1965 View Post
At a size 18, you will not have any problem at all.
Thank you!!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!
 
kristina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 28,791
Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online along with Atkins
Start Date: September 12 2014
I was about 237 when I flew. I was really not very comfortable. The arm rest was a joke. Kept popping back up over my hip I just didn't want to have "no barrier" between me and the next person so kept pushing it down
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsŪ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.