Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Water Fast?

Has anyone here done a fast on water only before or during your low carb woe? Would you like to share your experience with it - why you did it (for resolving health problems and/or weight loss) how long and the results? From all I have read about doing this, one goes into Ketosis in the same way one does on low carb and one allows the body to focus on detoxing and healing without having to expend energy on digestion for a while.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I read up on water fasting. read all the benefits etc. and was psyched.

I lasted 1.5 days.

I require food. I could not do it. while some can easily do 3-5-15-40 days, I sure am not one of them.

I can't wait to see the posts of people who tried and got further than me.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pompom2
Stats: 5'2" 120
WOE: Lower Carb
Im doing a liquid fast today, 24 hours only. water, chicken broth, veggie broth. I cant imagine doing it any longer than a day. I do it because it makes me feel less bloated, settled on the inside, healthier.
Pompom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
I really have been wanting to try this liquid fast thing. I don't think I could hack just water so was also thinking of trying broth along with it. I need to be mentally prepared though....I might give it a try for a day and see how it goes.
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I am sure I cannot do it...
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Just a comment--the human body is self-cleansing and has no need to 'detox.' That's a term from addiction withdrawal and has no relevance to eating.

I'm an old person and have had 4 colonoscopies over the years. My slow digestive system requires 2 full days of only clear fluids to prepare my system for the exam. I don't find it anything but difficult.

In that process, I will typically 'lose' about 6-8 lbs--ALL of which will return with my first food after the procedure because it's mainly water. I'm a low carber, so I'm already in ketosis when I begin my prep, and the most actual weight I will lose during those 2 days of basically a water fast is about a half a pound.

If it were not for this medical procedure, I would never do a water fast.

Anyone who wants to 'enter' into low-carb eating would do best to follow Dr. Atkins' induction, IMO.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Okay guys and gals. Thanks for your input. It sure doesn't sound like anyone around this site is interested in this. I've read and re-read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book about Fasting and Healthful Eating and found it very interesting and so I was just putting out some "feelers" - hoping someone had had success with it and wanted to share their experience.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have thought about JUDDD you get almost all the benifits of an alternet day
water fast and it's a lot easier to follow. One word of advice 3 days into a water
fast never stop by a church barbeque just to talk to someone there ....
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm sorry. I didn't know the context of your initial question. Your mention of ketosis suggested that you wanted to fast as a way to begin a low carb WOE and to lose weight.

I see from your last post that you are interested in it from the health angle. I know that many people find fasting for health very satisfying.

Alas, I'm not one of them, but I apologize for having misinterpreted your post.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I was on a water fast forum. I googled around and found one where people are attempting and completing literally 30 days of drinking water only. It was a very informative forum. But I just couldn't do it no matter how many times I started, about 3 attempts. The forum stated all info about the benefits and what happens to your body during a water fast etc. It really did have me interested!! I just wasn't a person who can do it.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
I did a 14 day water only fast twice and both times I intended to go for 21 days but couldn't make it. At times I was very tired but other moments felt really pleasant. I found the first 3 days to be the hardest then after that I didn't even want to strangle my friends and husband when they would drag me out to a restaurant with them, I was content to sip my water because it felt very empowering to not need to eat when surrounded by food. I didn't sleep well the first week and had vivid strange dreams. lol I would just recommend that you make sure you have your refeed well planned out ahead of time and stick to it. I didn't get any of the health benefits I'd hoped for because I broke the fast with junk both times. I don't do more than 24 hours now because I know I don't handle longer time frames very well. You won't know how you like it unless you give it a try though!
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I have only gone as long as about 48 hours and I've done that two or three times. I normally do a 23 1/2 hour fast every day (except I do drink coffee w hwc during my fasting hours), so the times that I've gone for the longer fasts, I wasn't setting out to from the beginning. I think that would be a hard mind game, yk? When I've done it, it's been like things just line up right... like I realize at dinner time that I haven't had any hwc that day (maybe I just had iced tea or something, I need my caffeine!), I'm not actually dying to eat even though it's already been 23 hours or more, and I think, eh, I can make it through the night. And then I just don't eat until my normal dinner time the next day. One interesting thing about it is that on that second day, I haven't felt any hungrier than a normal day when I did have my normal dinner the night before. In fact, I might even feel better on those days. I've been thinking that I want to do it again sometime soon, but like I said, I feel like it'd be a bit hard emotionally to plan it out before hand. I gotta be halfway through before I realize it. lol But if the stars don't line up for that sometime soon, maybe I will try.

Are you thinking of doing a long term water fast, OP? I could imagine working my way up to it, maybe adding a day here and there, making my fasting periods longer, but I'd be scared to set out to do 14 or 21 days or whatever people do. I think my biggest fear would be how to come out of it and whether my appetite would go crazy afterwards. Its funny that I have that fear bc my experience with short term fasting has given me the opposite results. My dinners that follow a 23 1/2 hour fast are not binges at all, in fact I often find myself not that excited about eating and eat less than I think I should.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I just did 3 days of a water only fast when I was going for 10. My purpose was to bring fasting blood glucose (fbg) down to the 55-70 range. Supposedly, this will starve cancer of the glucose it needs to survive, both as a treatment and as a preventative measure.

It wasn't hunger that did me in, but I felt like crap and got dizzy every time I stood up. Plus, for some reason, it totally disrupted my sleep. After 3 days, I was a zombie.

I think going with a low calorie/low carb option might be a lot easier to handle. Something like 500 calories/day and carbs under 10. If you are not in good health, I wouldn't do any type of fast without doctor's OK.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
I just did 3 days of a water only fast when I was going for 10. My purpose was to bring fasting blood glucose (fbg) down to the 55-70 range. Supposedly, this will starve cancer of the glucose it needs to survive, both as a treatment and as a preventative measure.

It wasn't hunger that did me in, but I felt like crap and got dizzy every time I stood up. Plus, for some reason, it totally disrupted my sleep. After 3 days, I was a zombie.

I think going with a low calorie/low carb option might be a lot easier to handle. Something like 500 calories/day and carbs under 10. If you are not in good health, I wouldn't do any type of fast without doctor's OK.
I'm not sure why you'd even have to go low calorie if your goal was to lower fasting blood glucose or starve a tumor. You could just do unlimited fats and moderate protein (as close to your actual protein needs as possible w/o going over significantly). I'm pretty sure it would accomplish the same thing.

Were you getting enough salt? I'd think that would help w the dizzy thing. I actually have had that a lot too and my doctor (who I gotta say I don't usually listen to much bc I don't trust her, lol) says that sometimes it takes your body a while to catch up when you've lost weight and that eventually it will compensate for the weight change and your blood pressure will go back to normal.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I'm not sure why you'd even have to go low calorie if your goal was to lower fasting blood glucose or starve a tumor. You could just do unlimited fats and moderate protein (as close to your actual protein needs as possible w/o going over significantly). I'm pretty sure it would accomplish the same thing.

Were you getting enough salt? I'd think that would help w the dizzy thing. I actually have had that a lot too and my doctor (who I gotta say I don't usually listen to much bc I don't trust her, lol) says that sometimes it takes your body a while to catch up when you've lost weight and that eventually it will compensate for the weight change and your blood pressure will go back to normal.
According to the study I read about, it requires both a restriction of carbs and calories to get your blood glucose that low.

And I was adding 1 - 2 tbsp of salt a day to my water.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Atkineer For Life

Gallery: godsbeloved79
Stats: 235.4/223.8/160
Start Date: 6/9/2014
I did a 10 day water only fast, last year and lost a total of 13 lbs; not to mention how great and rejuvenated I felt also.

I'm trying to get myself together mentally to do it again, and maybe 3 days; every now and then to detox and give the digestive system some rest.
godsbeloved79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm sorry. I didn't know the context of your initial question. Your mention of ketosis suggested that you wanted to fast as a way to begin a low carb WOE and to lose weight.

I see from your last post that you are interested in it from the health angle. I know that many people find fasting for health very satisfying.

Alas, I'm not one of them, but I apologize for having misinterpreted your post.
No worries at all Leo. I appreciate every comment. And of course weight loss is very important to me also. I just happened to read something somewhere yesterday though about not using a water fast primarily for weight loss but for healing. I have already forgotten where I saw it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I was on a water fast forum. I googled around and found one where people are attempting and completing literally 30 days of drinking water only. It was a very informative forum. But I just couldn't do it no matter how many times I started, about 3 attempts. The forum stated all info about the benefits and what happens to your body during a water fast etc. It really did have me interested!! I just wasn't a person who can do it.
I wasn't going to say anything about it but I actually did 30 full days this time last year. But I ended it incorrectly - after a few days of eating fruit, I switched to low carb (Atkins again) and all hell broke loose. My Mum had also died and I have been sick since - immune system not working and was on Prednisone for something called Giant Cell Arteritis. I have a theory about it though - I think that maybe I was detoxing bigtime from the water fast. Either that or my body was rejecting the meat and dairy that I started to eat again.

I quit the Prednisone a.s.a.p when my ESR levels went back to normal but I have been exhausted ever since and I mean very exhausted. And my legs feel like lead and hurt an awful lot most of the time. Likely my inflammation is right back up there.

I am going to see someone who does live blood analysis soon - thanks to a dear friend who also got very very sick after her own Mum died. I can't wait to see this guy and I'll ask him about water fasting and what he feels is the best way to eat for optimal health. I am also reading a book that is quite an eye-opener. It's called "When the Body Says No" by Gabor Mate. Stress is my middle name. And I have had the most unsettling unusual dreams this year about people in my past I would not normally dream about.

Still not sure if I want to test the waters again with a water fast. Nothing went wrong while I was on it though. I did get quite weak but that was all. I lost 23 lbs and slept like a baby and got off Tylenol 1 and coffee. All my aches and pains vanished and my varicose veins in one leg disappeared! It is suggested that no one try this without a doc's supervision though. I didn't have it - I might have been taking a big risk - not sure.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Phase;16489601] lol I would just recommend that you make sure you have your refeed well planned out ahead of time and stick to it. I didn't get any of the health benefits I'd hoped for because I broke the fast with junk both times.

Right on! I am sure that this was where I went so wrong. I should have been much more careful. I was for about a week but then made a complete switch from plant-based (raw) to Atkins. I kept a journal but not enough details. Next time I will keep a detailed record of each day. Thanks for your response.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I was so surprised to find all these other comments in this thread today. I'd forgotten to click on the "daily email notification" thing and so hadn't known you all responded. I am very thankful for each and every one of you taking the time to give some input here. I do suggest that if and when you do decide to do a water fast, read all you can about it first. Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book is great. And what people have said about being sure you know how to properly end your fast is extremely important.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
islegirl, another poster here, Nady, is an experienced water faster. You might speak with her.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
According to the study I read about, it requires both a restriction of carbs and calories to get your blood glucose that low.

And I was adding 1 - 2 tbsp of salt a day to my water.
Did they discuss doing high fat? I just can't imagine how fat would be counterproductive.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
I've fasted for religious reasons on water only. The longest was 10 days. As I remember, I lost very little weight and it came back on fairly quickly.

Lately I did a 22 day juice fast (primarily vegetables) with just liquids the first 12-13 days, then added one small LC meal a day. I lost a total of 20 lbs. that month and have only regained two. I'm gearing up to start another juicing fast tomorrow, with my goal to lose 12 lbs., then transition to 2 LC meals and two servings of juice a day. I found just drinking the juices liberating, but have had trouble getting back onto just juices since this is peach season, and it's a shame to juice such a lovely fresh fruit right off the tree! At least that's my excuse.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wapiti
Stats: 315/315/250
Start Date: 3/19/14
I have done a couple 5 day water-only fasts, one just a month ago. Two things I noticed both times:
1. Ketosis still takes 3 days to kick in - no faster than properly following Atkins induction.
2. Any weight lost comes right back.
The only benefit I saw was that it points out in a dramatic way how much of my day revolves around food. Trying to reset that priority is a major challenge.
wapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Info I have read on the net about water fasting is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Your body will benefit from even as short as 16 hrs of fasting. That is why so many choose a 'time window' to eat and fast the rest of the time.

Eat between 10 am and 6 pm and stop. water only when not in the eating window. then start again daily but of course eating fresh clean foods is highly important.

I know any time we fast a bit and give our body a rest, and then add super healthy food into the mix, we must be improving something in the old body