Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
5 weeks ZERO pounds lost... pls critique my meals.

OK, I will have completed 5 weeks this Thursday. I wasn't supposed to weigh myself until Friday of this week, but it has been 10 days since the last time I weighed myself. Since then I gained 2 pounds which means that after almost 5 weeks I have lost ZERO pounds. I am exactly where I started. Sorry, I am a compulsive weigher. If I see a scale, I get on it.

I exercise 2 - 10 hours a week, walking, biking, casual swimming.

So, I picked 3 random days from my online journal for you to critique. Since starting I only count GROSS CARBS, and my goal is to stay under 30 carbs a day. I did go over ONE DAY because I was out at a restaurant and didn't think there would be carbs in ring bologna.... I was wrong.

I'm 50 years old. I am 5 foot 5. I weigh 263 - 264.... and I used to weigh 326 pounds. I lost all the weight that I have lost prior to switching to low carb, which I only did because I am diabetic. I needed to get my sugars under control. And low carbing has surely done that. It has been awesome in that regard. I also have several other benefits since starting low carb, including lost inches, feeling better, and other benefits like, my diabetic foot pain is almost gone.... and my acid reflux is pretty much gone, too.

So, this is not really whining. I am happier now than I was 5 weeks ago. I just don't know how I haven't lost a single pound. So, to maybe figure out why, I am posting 3 random days of my meals..... Most days I eat 1700 - 2300 calories. I never exceed 2500.

Day 1.

B. 8 ounces 75% ground beef
1.5 cups of poblano pepper
2 TBS sour cream

L. 2 Hillshire Farms Hot and Spicy sausages
1/4 cup low carb marinara

D. 6 ounces 80% ground beef
1 ounce cheese melted

Snack 1 cup Almond Breeze 30 calorie almond milk

1874 KCal .... 25 GROSS carb.... 147 fat.... 88 protein

Day 2 ( This is the day I exceeded 30 gross carbs )

B. 3 eggs
1 TBS cram cheese
2 TBS sour cream
3/4 cup cooked spinach...... these items made an omelet

L. 2 cups garden salad
1/4 avocado
4 TBS Caesar Dressing
6 ounces ring bologna

D. 1.25 cups cooked spinach
2 TBS cream cheese
2 TBS Sour Cream
3 pcs. Artichoke Hearts

S. Coffee with 3 TBS HWC

Kcal 1766 Carbs 39 ( dang ring bologna and its 6 carbs ) 146 fat 67 protein

Day 3

B. 6 slices of bacon
2 eggs
coffee
1 TBS HWC
1 pkg splenda

L. 100 grams of chicken leg meat..... not sure if I ate the skin or not
1 TBS mayo
1 huge leaf of lettuce

D. 4 ounces 80% ground beef... fat drained always in ground beef.
2 TBS cream cheese
2 ounces poblano pepper
1 cup cooked spinach

I wasn't hungry on this day so my totals were very low.... here they are:

KCal 1259 Carbs 15 Fat 96 Protein 80

So, as I type this, I see one thing..... every day I have some dairy and I know that stalls some people. But I used to have all that when I was not low carbing and I lost weight, albeit very slowly.

Honestly, if I weren't concerned about my blood sugar and lipid panel, I would not even be eating low carb. But the fact is that for the foreseeable future, I don't have a choice. I want to get off as many, or even all, of my medications.

I absolutely love what eating this way has done for my blood sugar levels. I go back for a full blood test in September and I fully expect DRASTIC improvements in everything I care about.

Also, I have given up wheat 100%, so I haven't had even a nibble of pasta, bread, or anything that has wheat in it.

I am open to making some changes to lose weight, but the only thing I see is the use of dairy, and that was never a problem before eating low carb. So I am not sure why it would be now.

I don't like butter.... I really don't like coconut oil. I use a little bit, but I almost have to choke down the coconut oil.

I don't eat many nuts.... I have had about 1 cup of nuts in almost 5 weeks.

OK, your turn.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Your menu looks really good. The only potential problem I see is dairy. Just because you can lose on another diet with dairy does not mean you will on lc.
I lost weight on ww and ate cereal, same rules do not apply to lc.
Cut the dairy for one week. Test the results.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Your menu looks really good. The only potential problem I see is dairy. Just because you can lose on another diet with dairy does not mean you will on lc.
I lost weight on ww and ate cereal, same rules do not apply to lc.
Cut the dairy for one week. Test the results.
That is what I was going to say.
tgibbon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
How did you lose weight previously? What type of plan were you following?

There may be some clues there as to the problem now.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
How did you lose weight previously? What type of plan were you following?

There may be some clues there as to the problem now.
I was essentially reduced fat, though I was told to be low fat. Still, those 60ish pounds I lost took 3 years to lose.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
A different way of looking at it---- it could be that it's taking your body awhile to become keto-adapted (switching over to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs).

It might be that your body thinks something is wrong because it isn't finding many carbs lately.
After it figures it out, it may decide that it will just go ahead and use your body fat for fuel.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
A different way of looking at it---- it could be that it's taking your body awhile to become keto-adapted (switching over to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs).

It might be that your body thinks something is wrong because it isn't finding many carbs lately.
After it figures it out, it may decide that it will just go ahead and use your body fat for fuel.

I was under the impression - possibly a wrong impression - that that was essentially close tom the same time the ketostix show ketosis?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am not diabetic (although my siblings are), and I've heard that it's more difficult to lose weight with diabetes--which may be why you had such a slow loss perhaps before you began low carbing.

When I began low carbing, I also had a gastrointestinal problem that prevented me from eating high fat. In fact, for several years, I had to remain very low fat. Gradually my situation improved, and I can eat unlimited fat now, but I lost well on very low fat, low carb, and throughout the rest of my weight loss (and now 3 years into maintenance) I ate only moderate fat.

My suggestion is that you may do better with a more moderate fat approach to low carb eating. In any case, you should experiment because it's the low carb that's giving you the good BG numbers. Everything else can be 'adjusted' as needed.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Once we eliminate most of the carbs from our diet, our bodies have to use something, so whatever we're eating is whatever we're burning. Dr. Atkins said it should take about three to five days, at Induction levels of carbs, for us to start using fat as our primary fuel.

If a person hasn't been losing any weight at all for five weeks, I'd be looking at a few things: the accuracy of your carb counts, for starters. If people are eating a lot of foods like dairy and condiments that they believe contain 0 grams of carb per serving, those things can actually add up if you're not counting half-grams here and there, or if you're counting a tablespoon or an ounce of something and it's really more generous than that.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
I was under the impression - possibly a wrong impression - that that was essentially close tom the same time the ketostix show ketosis?
No, it can take weeks, possibly even months or longer to become fully keto-adapted.

Have you had your thyroid checked? My DH has type 2 diabetes and is hypothyroid and didn't start losing well until he started getting treated for the the thyroid too.

You may want to get hydrostatic or some other type of body composition analysis done to see how much lean body mass you have. Since you are 5'5" you may need to eat fewer calories (though your day 3 looks like it may be too low). I am a woman, 5'5" and generally lose on 1500 calories a day, though I may need to cut that a bit fairly soon. I assume you have more lean body mass than me as a man, but if you have the resources and ability it wouldn't hurt to try and have it checked.

You may need to cut carbs even further to lose. A lot of people eat only 20 g total carbs a day. Some people do meat and egg/zero carb for an extended period for health and weight loss.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
What medications do you take?
Many are notorious for stalling weight loss, even causing gains.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

Gallery: pocahontas
What has really helped me is my "4" rule. No more than 4oz of cheese per day, no more than 4oz. of dairy per day, no more than 4 servings of splenda per day. This works for ME. It helps keep my meals and portions structured and focused on whole natural foods.

Also, I dont think your calculations are correct. On day 1, you have 14 oz of ground beef between breakfast and dinner. That alone is 99 grams of protein yet you have only 88 listed for the day.

Double check your calculations and make sure you are getting adequate amounts of protein but not too much. Too much protein can sometimes hinder your efforts.

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Some people lose better on more carbs. Maybe try upping the veggies for a while.

You may also have a thyroid issue. Before I was medicated I wouldn't have lost on what you are eating either.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
But you said you're losing inches, so clearly what you're eating is working on that level.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. If you're losing inches, you're losing fat. The scale will eventually catch up.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Once we eliminate most of the carbs from our diet, our bodies have to use something, so whatever we're eating is whatever we're burning. Dr. Atkins said it should take about three to five days, at Induction levels of carbs, for us to start using fat as our primary fuel.

If a person hasn't been losing any weight at all for five weeks, I'd be looking at a few things: the accuracy of your carb counts, for starters. If people are eating a lot of foods like dairy and condiments that they believe contain 0 grams of carb per serving, those things can actually add up if you're not counting half-grams here and there, or if you're counting a tablespoon or an ounce of something and it's really more generous than that.

accuracy of carb counts is dead on.... I weigh / measure EVERYTHING except water. I count my dairy carbs.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
But you said you're losing inches, so clearly what you're eating is working on that level.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. If you're losing inches, you're losing fat. The scale will eventually catch up.
Inches are nice.... but weight is what I want for lots of reasons. But I had lost 4 pounds and have putt them back on without any cheats or carb counting mistakes, nor excessive calories.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Some people lose better on more carbs. Maybe try upping the veggies for a while.

You may also have a thyroid issue. Before I was medicated I wouldn't have lost on what you are eating either.
I had that checked in late winter.... no issues at all.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
What has really helped me is my "4" rule. No more than 4oz of cheese per day, no more than 4oz. of dairy per day, no more than 4 servings of splenda per day. This works for ME. It helps keep my meals and portions structured and focused on whole natural foods.

Also, I dont think your calculations are correct. On day 1, you have 14 oz of ground beef between breakfast and dinner. That alone is 99 grams of protein yet you have only 88 listed for the day.

Double check your calculations and make sure you are getting adequate amounts of protein but not too much. Too much protein can sometimes hinder your efforts.
Well, the meat calculations came from an online source ( well respected ) and I actually admit that I didn't check the accuracy... That said, look at the carbs.... With the exception of one day, I have always been under 30, and some days 12 - 15. And I get those from the panels on the sides of the containers. I even had one day at 9. But usually I get 22 - 28, or close to that.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post

You may need to cut carbs even further to lose. A lot of people eat only 20 g total carbs a day. Some people do meat and egg/zero carb for an extended period for health and weight loss.
Ugh... , that would be a killer. I love vegetables, especially spinach and peppers and tomatoes, and I have already given up tomatoes, essentially. I had just a few slices in 5 weeks... I hope I don't have to go there, as life would be miserable.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
If you're losing inches and still weigh the same, it is water retention in your adipocytes. Plain and simple. You've lost fat and will lose weight, too, but how long your body will hold onto that water is anyone's guess. If you're shrinking, things are changing. Leave the scale and plan be and persist on it if you're not showing evidence of a true stall (six weeks of no weight OR inches lost).

Also, your calories might simply be too high for your current metabolic rate. You're still heavy, but you're also menopausal and have dysfunctional energy processing (diabetes). That changes the equation big time.

If you're measuring correctly on calories and carbs and not cheating, but losing inches, give it time. If you're doing the above and losing neither inches NOR pounds, remove the dairy and lower the calories. Those are your most straightforward options

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I'm menopausal? I have never heard of such a thing for a guy.

BTW, with my responses, i don't mean to sound argumentative, but rather, just showing what I do.... I really am super strict with this. In fact, in my 40 years of trying to lose weight, I have never followed a plan even remotely this strictly. I always had a cheat here or there. Heck, my wife even encourages me to cheat, and I won't. ( her thinking is have a cheat now and then and you are less likely to binge ).... well, I haven't cheated once, though I did have one time when I was mentally ready to binge like crazy....

Last edited by Garlic; 06-24-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Inches are nice.... but weight is what I want for lots of reasons. But I had lost 4 pounds and have putt them back on without any cheats or carb counting mistakes, nor excessive calories.
Right, but my point is that the inches show that you're losing fat, and the weight is just water in your fat cells. I'm saying that your scale will show the loss soon, probably with a whoosh, but you should take heart with the inches. Not to mention, if you aren't weighing daily, your weight might be down some days and up others, like most people. There's a range that people typically weigh, something like plus or minus 4 pounds, and the more you weigh, the wider the range. If you only weigh every so often, you might be on the low end of that range that day, and not know for sure. So then, the next time you weigh, if you're in the high end, it looks discouraging. But the inches lost show that you're actually losing fat, because the tape measure or belt isn't as easy to fool as the scale.

Did you ever read this when I posted it for you before? Article: Why the Scale Lies
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I started to read it, but it started saying we need lean meats, grains.... and I stopped.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
I'm menopausal? I have never heard of such a thing for a guy.

BTW, with my responses, i don't mean to sound argumentative, but rather, just showing what I do.... I really am super strict with this. In fact, in my 40 years of trying to lose weight, I have never followed a plan even remotely this strictly. I always had a cheat here or there. Heck, my wife even encourages me to cheat, and I won't. ( her thinking is have a cheat now and then and you are less likely to binge ).... well, I haven't cheated once, though I did have one time when I was mentally ready to binge like crazy....
Whoops! Sorry about that, I must have confused you with another poster.

Being super strict is a good thing. It really is. When it becomes a problem is not with the strictness, but the response you have should something deviate. All or nothing is what we must watch out for.

I'm a fan of giving it my all, forgiving myself when I don't, and then promptly giving it my all once again. Forever and ever, amen
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
I had that checked in late winter.... no issues at all.
I hope you are right, but most doctors don't know how to test or treat thyroid properly. It is not as common in men, but it certainly does happen. If you don't get this figured out google "thyroid symptoms" and see if any of them apply to you.

Good luck.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I started to read it, but it started saying we need lean meats, grains.... and I stopped.
Clearly the diet advice isn't geared toward low carbers, but the rest is good information.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #27

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Do you know what your average calorie level was when you were losing weight on the other diet?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #28

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
If you're losing inches and still weigh the same, it is water retention in your adipocytes. Plain and simple. You've lost fat and will lose weight, too, but how long your body will hold onto that water is anyone's guess. If you're shrinking, things are changing. Leave the scale and plan be and persist on it if you're not showing evidence of a true stall (six weeks of no weight OR inches lost).
I wondered if it was water retention too.... the 6 oz of lunch meat at one meal jumped out at me more than the dairy.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Do you know what your average calorie level was when you were losing weight on the other diet?

About 2500 - 2700 calories a day.... but I was always hungry... 2500 - 2700 calories on Low Carb would feel like too much... I could maintain well enough at 3000 a day.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I wondered if it was water retention too.... the 6 oz of lunch meat at one meal jumped out at me more than the dairy.
But that was ONE DAY, and weird circumstances.... I was out at my old college, and had lunch with my kids. I ordered Cobb salad in a place called "SPUDS!" .... and the salad was the best bet for a low carb meal. I just made the mistake of not assuming it would have carbs in the ring bologna. I don't eat much processed foods. That was just a single occurence. And still, I went and looked it up, that was 6 total carbs.