Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
What about not enough calories?

Nutritional ketosis formulas say I should shoot for 1680 to 1960 cal per day, with 85 to 113 g fat. I never make that. I usually eat about 1400.

I ate less than the 1400 yesterday, and I'm way behind on how much food I should have eaten for B and L today.

How many days do you think is it okay to miss your calorie needs by a lot?
emel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
What's your weight and height?

Those formulas are notoriously wrong. If I ate as much as they say that I should be eating I would still be overweight.

I think the number one thing is - don't force food just because some formula says you should eat x amount of calories. Make sure you are getting enough protein though, like if you eat very little for more than a few days because you have no appetite.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

I'm using Phinney's formula for calories, but like I say I rarely eat it all.

I"ll push protein today at dinner.

But I'm still curious about whether it's okay to be 'underfed' for more than a couple days---not because I'm freaked out about having eaten so little today, but because I'd like to learn the science of it.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I do not count calories, but if I eat less, my weight drops. I never got the "eat more, lose more" thing. But, everyone is different. I just eat until I am full.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
The thing is -are you really under eating just because you aren't hitting some high calorie level based on a formula? I don't consider that being underfed. Now if you were only having coffee with coconut oil for 2 weeks and not eating anything else, yes that's being underfed because you aren't getting enough nutrients and no protein. Or, if you dropped your calories to 200 despite being very hungry and did that for a week.

You dont say your weight but if you are not at goal you have excess body fat and your body can burn that for fuel (the whole premise of losing weight being that you tap into your own fat stores).

I think as long as you arent purposefully starving yourself and are getting enough protein most of the time then you are fine and you will be losing weight. 1400 calories can be plenty.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 06-24-2013 at 12:48 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
A few years ago there was an ongoing thread I participated in about eating at least to your BMR.

I had little by little come to eat less and less in an effort to lose. My losses were at a complete standstill. Once I started eating MORE (of the right things) I began to lose again. There were many others on the thread that experienced the same thing.

I have read that as few as 72 straight hours of undereating will down-regulate your metabolism via your thyroid. I know people say there is no such thing as "starvation mode" or people wouldn't starve to death. That is true of course, but that doesn't mean a starving person's metabolism didn't slow down as much as it could before death happened.

I think if you are eating as much as you are legitimately hungry for and your weight is stable, you are likely fine. I (and the other folks on the thread) were making an effort to eat less and less and I know I wasn't comfortable doing it.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm not a big fan of numerical formula's for health or weight.
This metabolism business is too much of a YMMV situation IMHO.
I would ask...how do you feel?
If you feel ok, then it's not a problem.
Now if it goes on and on and your weight starts falling too low, ok then it's time to go to the doctor, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/159/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8 2013
I use myfittnesspal to help me track my workouts and watch my carbs/fat/protein. I really don't care what the calorie count is, but, it just does it automatically.

Based on my height/weight it says I should eat 1200 calories a day. I NEVER hit that. Ever. I never go hungry, I eat plenty, and always good whole foods. I've consistently lost weight since starting in January.

Oh and it gives me more calories when I workout...I really never hit that number! haha
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #9

I do this all the time--- chug along happy with my food and then I stress out when I play with the numbers lol.
Thanks for the reality check.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I do not count calories, but if I eat less, my weight drops. I never got the "eat more, lose more" thing. But, everyone is different. I just eat until I am full.
This is the way it is supposed to work. I strive to get myself to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I'm not a big fan of numerical formula's for health or weight.
This metabolism business is too much of a YMMV situation IMHO.
I would ask...how do you feel?
If you feel ok, then it's not a problem.
Now if it goes on and on and your weight starts falling too low, ok then it's time to go to the doctor, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
This makes good sense to me!

I think it is entirely possible to mess things up for ourselves by trying to stick to some 'caloric quota' when in fact our bodies don't know what a calorie is and it has nothing to do with anything much.

Last edited by clackley; 06-24-2013 at 02:37 PM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
From my own personal experience, I was eating too little and didnt realize it until I started tracking my calories. I thought I was eating too much fat because I wasn't losing although I was tracking my protein and carbs. As soon as I upped my calories I lost four pounds in a week. I try to hit close to my calories now. I don't always, but I get within 200 calories of my goal. This may change at some point. I will just have to keep tracking and monitoring my weight.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
On average, I eat more calories when I'm on plan than when I'm off. Obviously, I'm losing eating more calories, but I wouldn't be losing eating more of the wrong calories.

But I don't count calories anyway. I just try to eat every six waking hours, which is still a struggle for me, and eat until I've had enough. That's usually still under my supposed BMR. I don't know how things would go if I ate to my BMR; I'm losing this way, and prefer not to count anything beyond carbs, so I'll keep at it until something stops working.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Rosedale argues that down-regulation of the metabolic rate etc. is a good thing as it indicates that the metabolism is more efficient and less stressed. A different perspective is offered by Norton: was talking about physique competitors but Trillex posted about an interesting video series by Layne Norton in which he criticised the metabolic adaptation (he also called it 'damage') of cutting to too low a level of calories. Men vs Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
. I just try to eat every six waking hours, which is still a struggle for me, and eat until I've had enough. That's usually still under my supposed BMR..
Ignore this if it's intrusive - I've sometimes thought that it must be tricky to tack between avoiding thermogenesis from some foods and physiologic cold from eating too few calories at times. (A friend with leukaemia is having problems along these lines as the weather is so changeable at present that it makes menu planning tricky - and if he just skips a meal because he isn't in the mood then he ends up with issues triggered by being cold.)

Last edited by SlowSure; 06-24-2013 at 07:08 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have thyroid issues plus Multiple Sclerosis, so my internal body temperature is all kinds of screwed up regardless.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
Those formulas are notoriously wrong. If I ate as much as they say that I should be eating I would still be overweight.
Ditto this! I cant eat as much as the formulas recommend.

1400 cals a day sounds fine. As long as you aren't consistently eating ridiculously low cals (like 500/day, every day) you should be fine.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #16

Ah, now we're getting some science! Thanks all---now I have more leads for stuff to learn.

Rosedale, Norton, and down-regulation via thyroid. Cool.

Calories were 948 yesterday, eating to satisfaction. Like I say, I don't think I'll wither away--still have 25-30 lbs to lose.