Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mevvies
Day 7 of low carb(Celebrity Slim Diet), still extreme tiredness is this normal?

Hi all (my first post) Hope its in the right place.

I am 39 yrs old, 172 lbs 5 ft 3 "

I started on the low carb diet last monday and for the first 3 days I had terrible headaches, they passed but I still extreme tiredness. Its getting me down as too tired to walk the dog, play with kids outside etc etc.

Its my first ever time on this plan.

Any advice comments would be great. Thanks
mevvies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Hi
Well done for getting through the headaches, it can be a shock to the system after living the high-carb life. Can you give is an idea of what you are eating?
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahnya
Hi there, I'm having the same problems but I'm not giving up with it, apparently it can just take some of us a long time to become efficient at using ketones as fuel. In contrast my boyfriend adapted right away, he didn't even crash in the first week.

Personally I've been on 20g carbs for 3 weeks and although I feel a lot better than I did in the first week my muscles still feel sluggish and when I try to exercise I get very hot and out of breath.

Someone on another low carb forum suggested I read an article regarding treatment of epilepsy using a ketogenic diet and they said the best way they have found to get people to adjust is to fast between 24-48 hours.

I'm starting my fast today, I had a light breakfast and will now go until lunchtime tomorrow without eating and see if that helps. If not I plan to repeat it in another week with a 48 hour fast.
sarahnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your replies. I am doing the celebrity slim diet so my intake is as follows

breakfast: shake
mid morning 30g nuts or salmon cream cheese / celery cream cheese

lunch another shake or soup
a small apple

dinner either steak/chicken salad/stir fry/cauliflower crust pizza
evening snack a small tuna salad, or boiled egg salad.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I'm not sure about the specifics of your plan, but on a lot of the low-carb plans, it is cautioned that we need salt, magnesium, and potassium because our bodies are flushing out the water it holds from being carby, and those minerals get flushed along with it. And a deficit of those can make our bodies and our muscles feel wonky.

Consomme or broth (fully salted, not the low salt kind) for salt. Or just salt your food liberally.

Magnesium as 250 to 500 mg supplement 2-3 times a day, or eat spinach, almonds, brazil nuts, or cocoa powder (the hershey's kind, not hot cocoa mix with milk).

Potassium- supplement. take a couple of those 99 mg tablets 2-3 times a day. Foods rich in potassium include tomato, beet greens, saltwater (wild caught) salmon, spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms. There's lots more sources. Honeydew melon is a good source if you eat melon--- 1 cup gives 12% of the daily requirement of potassium.

ETA-- wanted to add that the headache, etc for the first few days is "induction flu"--- basically it is a symptom of sugar withdrawl.

Last edited by emel; 06-23-2013 at 06:13 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
mevvies, Moss11, and sarahnya!

I agree with emel, especially about getting plenty of sodium. Drink at least a couple of cups a broth a day at least during the first couple of weeks, and drink plenty of water. Magnesium is a great supplement as well, I take 500 mg chelated magnesium a day.

Also, mevvies, I am not sure exactly what your plan is or what the quantities you are eating, but are you eating enough? Generally on the first couple of weeks of low carb it is more important to worry about the carbs than the calories. Later for many people (but not all) the calories will take care of themselves through the benefit of hunger supression once in ketosis.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #7

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
It took me several weeks to feel normal. I was dead tired. But, I did not have this board to help me. I probably did not have enough fat or salt...
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevvies View Post
Thanks for your replies. I am doing the celebrity slim diet so my intake is as follows

breakfast: shake
mid morning 30g nuts or salmon cream cheese / celery cream cheese

lunch another shake or soup
a small apple

dinner either steak/chicken salad/stir fry/cauliflower crust pizza
evening snack a small tuna salad, or boiled egg salad.
This is just my personal opinion, and based on my own experience. I don't think you're eating enough. Basically, you go all day on just 2 shakes, little bit of nuts, and a small apple. I would be STARVING and would also feel tired and sluggish.

I realize this is because of the plan you're following. But, you need to find the plan that works best for you. The Celebrity Slim Diet might not be it. If you keep going with it, and still don't feel good, you might want to try a low carb diet, on your own, without the shakes. That way, you could have real food, instead of shakes. Your body might like that better, and you might have more energy.

Again, that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck! We're here to support you, and hope you feel better soon!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm not a fan of shakes or smoothies replacing actual food.
Yes, I know that they contain all the nutrients blah blah blah,
but we are designed to bite, chew, swallow and digest pieces of actual food.
The times I tried smoothies I was always left feeling hungry, unsatisfied, and
weak. YMMV
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
The actual diet aside (since I don't know about it, and I'm doing Atkins), for me the first week was horrid, the second week I was just exhausted, and by the 3rd week I was feeling good and got my energy back, but not all.

I'm in about week 7 or 8 and still will occasionally go for a walk and my legs will feel tired, but just for a few minutes.

I feel really good now, and I assume I've switched to ketones for the most part. I still probably eat too much protein though, it's hard to drop that down.

Is there any added fat in your diet, do those shakes have fat? I'm kind of guessing not. It looks like a low fat diet, and a low cal diet.

Keep reading around this site and especially the different diet boards and see if one clicks with you. You might find one that sounds like something you can follow. The natural foods are always going to be better than a shake, though I don't know what's in those shakes.

An small apple has quite a few carbs, and with the other carbs in the plan, might be too many to keep you out of actual ketosis.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for everyone who have replied.

I still have another 10 days worth of shakes and if I feel no better I will definitely change diet.

I have been dieting on and off for 10 years (since having children) and tbh this is the only diet where I am not starving or think I am starving. This place will be a great place for me to educate myself better on what to eat and what to avoid.

Will definitely take some supplements.

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. xx
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #12

And keep joining in on the discussions, please. Just find a topic which interests you and jump right in. We are friendly, and if we sound "tough-loving", it's because we believe in lowcarbing and we want to help you find the right stuff to eat.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Don't know your particular WOE, but I've found in my three months after restarting Atkins (close to induction but with some variation) I've gone in and out of low energy. I have given my self the luxury by and large of some extra sleep and a few naps and not pushing my self too hard physically. I've told my self (and may be true), that I am lacking energy because of the hard work by body is doing adjusting to a new way of eating. I have had days of good energy good energy too and vigorous walks. I am going to pick up the pace a bit in the next few months, but I am still not going to push myself too hard.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Agree with Rhonda that it seems little food. In general however the adaptation to locarb eating takes time. Some parts of your body switch to fatburning easily other parts can hold out literally months and that accounts for the tiredness. I had headaches for over two weeks and felt dizzy at points even though I was eating "heartily".

For example when I run in the am my feet are stuck to the floor , in the pm I feel light as if I had lost 100 lbs. I don't know what that is due to but basically I do not run until the am now.
Are there people you know who are also on the same diet ? It might be worthwhile exchanging experiences with them . It might not be the right diet for you longer term but you are off to a great start. If you feel you need to change you could try incorporating the shakes into it until they are gone . Don't let that stop you if you feel unwell.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I'm not a fan of shakes or smoothies replacing actual food.
Yes, I know that they contain all the nutrients blah blah blah,
but we are designed to bite, chew, swallow and digest pieces of actual food.
The times I tried smoothies I was always left feeling hungry, unsatisfied, and
weak. YMMV

I'm with you.... fluids just don't do the trick for me AT ALL other than for taste. And if I need salt I eat a slice or 2 of dill pickle.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
And keep joining in on the discussions, please. Just find a topic which interests you and jump right in. We are friendly, and if we sound "tough-loving", it's because we believe in lowcarbing and we want to help you find the right stuff to eat.
You are "tough loving" for sure Emel...It served me well thou
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Thanks again I have taken a lot on board.

I weighted in today and lost 5 lbs which I am really please with. I have also woken up with a weird metallic taste in my mouth, but feel a little more with it than I was yesterday.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatphdguy View Post
You are "tough loving" for sure Emel...It served me well thou
You were my prize pupil then. lol. And you're doing so great now!

Quote:
Thanks again I have taken a lot on board.

I weighted in today and lost 5 lbs which I am really please with. I have also woken up with a weird metallic taste in my mouth, but feel a little more with it than I was yesterday.
metallic taste might be a sign of ketosis, which is good. It means your body is shifting away from needing carbs for all of its energy, and that means you're burning fat.
(just in case you're not familiar, ketosis is fine. there's another unrelated word, ketoacidosis, which is not fine and that's not what we're talking about.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
You were my prize pupil then. lol. And you're doing so great now!

metallic taste might be a sign of ketosis, which is good. It means your body is shifting away from needing carbs for all of its energy, and that means you're burning fat.
(just in case you're not familiar, ketosis is fine. there's another unrelated word, ketoacidosis, which is not fine and that's not what we're talking about.
Thanks Emel
Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Emel
LEt me mention one thing about that metal taste...
a lot of times we're worried about our breath when we get it.
Sometimes we consider using tictacs or other sugar-free mints, or gum, to help with it.
Those sugar free breath products can be enough fake sugars to knock us out of losing well. We discussed it briefly recently but there's a whole lot of other stuff talked about in that thread too so it's kind of buried.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...no-starch.html