LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Almost "had" to eat carbs.....

I just got home from a wedding. We left at 3 pm to go there . I ate a low carb snack prior to leaving to go there.The wedding was supposed to start at 5 with cocktails and appetizers at 5:45. So, being diabetic, I eat every few hours if I can. But stuff happened, and cocktails and apps were at 7..... I was pretty hungry by then.... So the amount of food was unreal, absolutely unreal. But when I went in to the cocktail area all I could see was carbs.... Tons and tons of carbs.

I kept hoping I would find something I could eat, but couldn't, and a server walked by with mini grilled cheese.... I actually started to reach for 1, or maybe even 2, when thank God, they wheeled out another serving station.... Filled with crab, shrimp, pepper poppers, a cheese and meat tray, and more... And then a roast beef carving station came out, and all was fine. But I was literally a few seconds away from allowing myself to have carbs " just for tonight ".

So I ate 4 pepper poppers - the cherry peppers stuffed with cheese and salami - and about 5 shrimp, which held me til dinner.... Crisis avoided.

Then dinner came... I had no idea what was being served, as my wife sent in the choices for us.... Turned out to be filet, asparagus..... And garlic mashed potatoes. It was SO HARD not to eat those, but I didn't.

Finally dessert was served... They had an entire room for desserts.... The 7 other people came back to the table with at least a small plate of desserts, and some came back with even more than one plate. I resisted.... While drinking a coffee, I picked up a small piece of canolli, without even realizing what I was doing! It actually made contact with my lips before I realized what I was doing. But I put it down and just drank my coffee.

Dang, this is not easy.... But now I figure that since I got past tonight, it should only get easier.... But had I not seen some low carbs choices at the very last second, who knows what I would have allowed myself to eat... And more worrisome was how hard it may have been to get back on track on Sunday.... I really was willing to eat carbs rather than be hungry.

Last edited by Garlic; 06-22-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats
Stats: 288/279/150
Start Date: 7/2014
Good for you!!! That is awesome! I love victories like that! I recently went to a friend's house for a game night and I there were so many ways I could have had carbs, but I was able to choose just low carb foods to eat and I was so proud of myself! It's times like these that we realize that we can really make this a WOE for life.
2kids2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
First off, I want to say that you deserve a big pat on the back! That is a hard situation, especially if you're not in a good frame of mind bc of hunger. Bravo! And congrats, too, bc tomorrow will be a lot nicer now and the more wins you have under your belt, the more confidence you'll have and the more likely you'll be able to do it again next time.

BUT I suggest that you do a little work on the hunger issue. Hunger does not ever have to bring you down. I used to (and I've seen lots of other people express this, too) be afraid of hunger. Like, afraid that I would cross some line where it would be unbearable and I would like fall off some hunger cliff and I don't know what... some really bad thing would happen. So... I could not allow myself to be hungry. I had to eat and sometimes I'd have to compromise and eat something not on plan. Often those eats would snowball bc they were off-plan and I was feeling hungry which made me feel anxious. But a couple of years ago I learned through fasting that hunger itself is no biggy. In my experience it never lasts more than 15 minutes or so and then it goes away and you're fine. If you go for another good chunk of time w/o eating, it'll come back, but only at the same level as the first time. It's not any worse. It's just garden variety hunger no matter how long you put off eating, and it's not that bad and it will go away soon.

Another thing is that you do not have to feed your diabetes. Diabetes really doesn't even want to be fed. If you want to eat every five hours or whatever schedule, then you should, but if you are feeding yourself merely bc you're diabetic that's counter-productive. If you're having lows, of course you need to treat those w carbs, and if it is happening w any sort of regularity, you need to reduce your meds if you're taking any.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I never go to unknow situations without my own food. I have eaten many meals in my car between the ceremony and the reception. I never leave my food up to chance.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #5

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
LOL I went to a weekend-long wedding, dinners Fri/Sat/Sun. The only appetizer I could eat on Friday was to take the miniature dab of goat cheese off of a crostini. Dinner was served super-late, supposed to be 7:30 but it finally came out at 8:40. Was supposed to be a Seafood Boil, but all they put in it was a very few shrimp with potatoes and corn on the cob. I don't like shrimp.I drove the 7 miles home, ate a couple of lettuce wrap sandwiches, and then headed back for the dancing. My husband can't eat shrimp either so he got a child's plate of hot dog and a bag of chips, but he got the last hot dog, so I was out of luck.

Last edited by emel; 06-23-2013 at 05:37 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Way to hang tough!! I've gotten to where I drop a LC snakc in my purse before going to places/events like that. Just in case Lol! We have decoration at the cemetary today, preaching and then lunch there. I am taking a lc bar w/ me because I Know there will be a Lot of HC stuff out on the buffett!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Way to hang tough!! I've gotten to where I drop a LC snakc in my purse before going to places/events like that. Just in case Lol! We have decoration at the cemetary today, preaching and then lunch there. I am taking a lc bar w/ me because I Know there will be a Lot of HC stuff out on the buffett!
agree. or even take a tiny cooler so you can take food that's more "real"---a baggie of dark meat chicken or sliced leftover steak or some peeled boiled eggs or some tuna salad with a spoon. I have absolutely scampered over to our vehicle to chow down on some quick protein at a gathering.

That's hindsight at this point, of course. But it might be handy for next time.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/196/135
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: September 2012/Whole30 start June 25 2014
Good job Garlic. I don't know if I could have held up like that. I second princessmommy, it might be a good idea to keep some nuts and a slim Jim on hand for emergencies. Especially if people keep ordering you mashed potatoes!
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Good job, Garlic!

Just want to say, I totally free with what Rubidoux said. I was actually thinking along the same lines when I started to post. Glad I read through the posts first.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
Awesome for you. I know it had to be extremely hard to avoid all those carbs. I agree with everyone else too, try to keep an emergency stash on hand. It has helped me on occasion.
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Congratulations! That's a tough haul to get through an evening like that...I bet you're feeing very good about your determination!

I second and third all the great ideas about really preparing ahead. I even made it through two different hospital stays and didn't stray, even though one stay was 4 days.

Sometimes at business things where there is food, I'll put food on my plate to be social and then just sort of push it around and look like I'm eating. I'll eat the veggies if they're appropriate, so I'm putting something in my mouth. Of course before hand I've had coffee with lots of fat in it, maybe some cheese and nuts, and I slip in my own HWC to put in coffee or tea.

It's not always easy to eat well, but it can definitely be done!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I guess something I could have kept in my pocket would have been fine, but I was never thinking that the apps would all be carbs, and fortunately they turned out not to be in the end. This was a SUPER SWANKY place in Philly... if anybody knows it, it was the Crystal Tea Room.

325 guests, and I don't know how much it costs, but I do know that they don't do weddings for under $125 pp. You do the math. And I am pretty sure they were upgraded from the basic package by a pretty good amount. Even the booze was a better grade, though not all "top shelf".
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Great job! Sounds like a huge wedding.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 188.8/181.6/135
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Forever starting 6/1/14
:not wrthy:

Amazing feat! Thanks for sharing.
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Good job! Now don't you think you should lose about 10 pounds for a reward?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Good job! Now don't you think you should lose about 10 pounds for a reward?
I sure do... I really want to be 250 by August 14th, but after 4+ weeks, I don't think I am down a single pound.... But I have had plenty of good things happening.... Just not weight loss.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
First off, I want to say that you deserve a big pat on the back! That is a hard situation, especially if you're not in a good frame of mind bc of hunger. Bravo! And congrats, too, bc tomorrow will be a lot nicer now and the more wins you have under your belt, the more confidence you'll have and the more likely you'll be able to do it again next time.

BUT I suggest that you do a little work on the hunger issue. Hunger does not ever have to bring you down. I used to (and I've seen lots of other people express this, too) be afraid of hunger. Like, afraid that I would cross some line where it would be unbearable and I would like fall off some hunger cliff and I don't know what... some really bad thing would happen. So... I could not allow myself to be hungry. I had to eat and sometimes I'd have to compromise and eat something not on plan. Often those eats would snowball bc they were off-plan and I was feeling hungry which made me feel anxious. But a couple of years ago I learned through fasting that hunger itself is no biggy. In my experience it never lasts more than 15 minutes or so and then it goes away and you're fine. If you go for another good chunk of time w/o eating, it'll come back, but only at the same level as the first time. It's not any worse. It's just garden variety hunger no matter how long you put off eating, and it's not that bad and it will go away soon.

Another thing is that you do not have to feed your diabetes. Diabetes really doesn't even want to be fed. If you want to eat every five hours or whatever schedule, then you should, but if you are feeding yourself merely bc you're diabetic that's counter-productive. If you're having lows, of course you need to treat those w carbs, and if it is happening w any sort of regularity, you need to reduce your meds if you're taking any.
^^^THIS!!^^^ Hunger in ketosis is different from hunger when not. A little intermittent fasting is very useful in learning this.

Good job Garlic!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
^^^THIS!!^^^ Hunger in ketosis is different from hunger when not. A little intermittent fasting is very useful in learning this.

Good job Garlic!!

Thank you...

But whether the above is true or not medically, as a diabetic, I just feel better if I never let myself get depleted. I eat something every 3 or 4 hours, and If I don't I can tell that I don't feel as good. One thing I have learned from this thread though is to keep something handy.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Thank you...

But whether the above is true or not medically, as a diabetic, I just feel better if I never let myself get depleted. I eat something every 3 or 4 hours, and If I don't I can tell that I don't feel as good. One thing I have learned from this thread though is to keep something handy.
Are you worried about low blood sugars?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Are you worried about low blood sugars?
Yes, but I just feel better if I eat 5x a day versus 3.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Thank you...

I understand. Just saying that this could change in time. A lot of people discover that going without food for lengths of time is not the same anymore once fully keto adapted. The blood sugars become very stable with time and adherence.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Yes, but I just feel better if I eat 5x a day versus 3.
Another fabulous example of how we are all different.
Thanks. It is good for me to keep mindful that each of us has our own needs.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I don't mean to bug you at all, garlic. I know that you're working really hard and doing an amazing job sticking to your plan (way better than me lately). I think you'll figure this out one way or another.

But, I will tell you that SADLY it took me about 12 years to figure out how to lose weight after I discovered low carb. I stayed at about 30 g a day for four years w/o losing anything because it was awesome for my blood sugar. But I probably would not have made it that long if I didn't have a baby during that time bc it's so frustrating to be fat and seriously dieting and not losing even if you have the benefit of good b/s control.

The reason it took me so long to figure it was that I was very resistant to the idea of restricting veggies and restricting my carbs below 20g. I felt like I shouldn't have to do those things. Veggies are good for you, right?

But for me it takes being very low carb (usually 7-12 g per day incl fiber) and moderate protein (usually under 50 g, but as a man who's five inches taller the equivelent would be higher). I also eat only on e a day, but that is bc when you're eating most of your cals as fat, you don't want to eat that often.

I don't think you should adopt the less frequent eating thing, but I do think you should be open to it. Like, you should eat as often as you feel like it even if that's every three hours all day, but try not to have that as a personal rule. You might find that you feel less that way as you get deeper into ketosis. I think eating less often has been great for my weight loss and my level of satisfaction.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Well anybody who has Shane as an avatar must have a clue.