Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
losing after being heavy for a long time...

I was just wondering how you guys who were heavy for a long time are feeling about your goals and current weights now that you've lost a substantial amount of weight. Like, if you based your ultimate goal (if you have one) on a previous weight that felt good to you or on the bmi charts or on the weight you've never been but always wished to be... how is it feeling getting closer? Are you reevaluating your goal? Are you just enjoying being at somewhere in between and not so worried about the ultimate goal? Do you walk around feeling like you're skinny since you just lost 50 pounds (or whatever) and then feel shocked when you realize you are not skinny but, in fact, still in the obese section of the bmi chart? This happens to me every once in a while, but I always get back to feeling skinny pretty quick.

The last time I was at a healthy weight for me was when I was 27 and now I'm 43, so I'm wondering if I really should be a little heavier than I was then. On the other hand, I've never been down to a healthy weight while eating low carb, and it might be that I will actually feel good and look good at a lower weight, or higher... For now, though, I do think that even a few pounds is making a big difference on me (which is a recent thing, when I went from 200 to 195, it was not so noticeable), so every few pounds I feel really different and get pretty excited about it. I'd love to be at goal tomorrow, but I'm also kind of having fun getting there.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have been overweight since middle school, obese since high school. So I didn't have a frame of reference of what weight would look and feel right.

I went by BF% when setting my goal weight. I used my LBM, which is somewhere in the mid-150s, and then set a goal of a lean 20%, which is on the low side. That brought me to about 190-195 lbs as a goal weight, assuming I don't lose any LBM, which is my goal. Even if I do lose a bit of my LBM on my way to goal, I'll still be within a good BF% range. Anything up to 25% is considered ideal for my age.

I get my BF tested hydrostatically a few times a year, making sure I'm on track. If I end up losing much more LBM than I hoped, I'll have to revise my goal weight.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm down 60 lbs and around 7 lbs or so far goal of 140. The last time I weighed 140 was around the time I got married 23 Years ago! So i'm still trying to figure out where I should stop. I get people telling me Now to stop losing because I look " so skinny!" but while the Top half of me way look that way the Middle of me does Not. But I can't really expect my stomach and midsection to be like it was 23 yrs ago. 2 babies 3 pregnancies, 3 surgeries. So I am lost as what to do somedays. I guess i'll decide 7 lbs from now? LOL!
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*

Starting Again! Lost 67 lbs then gained a lot back
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Are you just enjoying being at somewhere in between and not so worried about the ultimate goal? Do you walk around feeling like you're skinny since you just lost 50 pounds (or whatever) and then feel shocked when you realize you are not skinny but, in fact, still in the obese section of the bmi chart? This happens to me every once in a while, but I always get back to feeling skinny pretty quick.

For now, though, I do think that even a few pounds is making a big difference on me (which is a recent thing, when I went from 200 to 195, it was not so noticeable), so every few pounds I feel really different and get pretty excited about it. I'd love to be at goal tomorrow, but I'm also kind of having fun getting there.
As if I had written it... I feel the same way. I remember that I thought at 68 kilos / 148lbs I looked good . What would make me stop before would be the realisation that extra pounds are holding extra skin in place that otherwise would go south .
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
I was a chubby child. My grandmother took care of me and my siblings and she spoiled us with food, and that is putting it lightly. When I turned 16 and was in high school, I starved myself so I could stay thin. At that time I was a size 8, which for me is the perfect size because I am a bit hippy. At the age of 20 is when I blew up and weighed 214 lbs. I went on Atkins at the age of 22 and lost about 80lbs. I was able to maintain this weight for about four years. It was wonderful to not worry about my weight. I was more active and I became more secure about myself. Well, unfortunately, when I was 26 my grandmother passed away. After this happened I went on a downward spiral. I was depressed and eating for comfort. From that time till now I blew up in my weight. I was 258lbs, the heaviest I had ever been in my life. For years I was depressed and became a hermit. I went from being an active happy person, to being a lonely hermit. Friends would call me to go out and I would make excuses, I was so embarrassed of my weight I never wanted to go out and be seen. The town I live in, I have lived in my whole life, it's one of those places where everyone knows everyone. I would go to the stores and see people I knew, but would hide. I wouldn't want to face anyone looking like I do.
The turnaround for me is when one of my nieces said with a sad face, "How come you never come see me do my dance routines at school". I felt so bad, and I was broken hearted. I thought about everything I have missed, and how it was hurting my family.
Two weeks later another thing came into play. I suffered what is called a esophageal spasm. Well this felt like a heart attack, my left arm went numb and everything. It was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. At the hospital the ER doctor mentioned my weight and told me I needed to get healthy and start eating right. This was a huge wake up call. I thought about how I am only 37 years old, and I could die from my weight.
The bottom line is, my health and my family are what made me realize I couldn't keep going the way I was going. I needed to make a lot of changes. I had to stop wallowing in my own sadness and make it happen. I can truly say that Atkins is a life saver to me. It is the only diet that ever works for me, and it keeps me healthy. I do not have acid reflux any longer, no more bloating and no more IBS. I still have a long journey ahead, but for the first time in a long time, I am taking charge of my life. At the weight of 225lbs, this is the lowest weight I have been in over 6 years, and I know this is just the beginning. My goal weight is 150, and I am determined to get there no matter how long it takes. I guess my point was to say, just the small amount I have lost, it has already begun to change my life, and make me think differently about myself and my goals.

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-

Last edited by SweetSugaree; 06-22-2013 at 06:33 PM..
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
This is a good thread. We all have our goals but will we be satisfied when we get there. People are telling me I look nice now but I need to lose more and then will I be stuck with loose skin, wrinkles and not being satisfied with the final result? I'm doing this WOE for health and to look better.

Last edited by rndiane; 06-22-2013 at 06:30 PM..
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
For the last 8 months or so I have not been able to stick to a plan over 2 days in a row.
I am now back up to 320 lbs . It seems that over the last 20 years or so I have lost from
about 300-320 lbs to about 245 lbs 6 times or more. It seems that when I hit about 245 lbs I just totaly hit the skids. Well an hour ago I set up a computer so I could watch Netflix movies while on the treadmill and as they say tomorow is a new day.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
I'm down 143 and the last time I was this weight, I was in my 20s. At that time, I thought this was large lol.

I've yoyo-ed since my teens which is how I worked my way up to my high weight. I have been different sizes at the same weight so I did not know what to expect and have spent most of this time losing with no goal except to lose. I figured I'd just play it by ear.

Last month, I finally felt like I had a grasp on what I would look llke at what weight and set a soft goal of 149 which is the top end of normal BMI for me. For BF%, I selected the ideal range (22.9 to 27.9).

I'm determining now how much time I am realistically willing to put in at the gym moving forward. If my less frequent strength training schedule maintains what I want then I'll end up weighing more. If not, then I'll probably have to be around 138 to be the size I want and toward the higher end of the ideal range BF%. (I'm at the lower end now.)

I have drawn a line in the sand about clothing size though now that I have been shopping a bit. I do not want to get smaller than an 8. I'd say I'm firmly in a 10 as every 10 I've tried on fits - some were a little large but none were too small. 8s work too but some are snug which is fine and falls in line with where I'm headed. (I just tried on my first set of 8s today.)

I have had times in the past where I've lost 20 lbs or so and got the big head until I caught my profile view in the mirror or saw pics lol. I'm so far past that point now that I'm sure I'm bordering on body dysmorphic disorder lol. I cannot see weight loss or gain in the mirror. I can only tell based on how my clothes fit which is why I spent a paragraph up there talking about it.

I had coffee with a friend this morning and we took a few pics (likely the 1st I've taken this year). I looked at the phone and was like "hmm, I have lost weight." Friend just rolled her eyes lol, but I could not have been more serious. Whatever controls that in my brain must be all busted up.

Last edited by SouthernBelle; 06-22-2013 at 06:45 PM..
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Well, honestly, I sort of randomly set an end goal of 175 pounds. I was 325 pounds when I set that goal, and am now 262ish. But I think I want to get to 162 pounds so I literally can claim to have lost half my body weight.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't have a weight or BMI goal. Actually, I don't have any number-based goals. Goal numbers won't make me look or feel good. I dropped weight goals when I came close to hitting my last one. I realized that the number had nothing to do with what I wanted to achieve. I'm quite certain that meeting the "good" BMI number would cause me to be less healthy than I plan to be.

I don't have or want any kind of "I'm done!" goal; I think I will always going to be a work in progress in some way.

I don't care much about my weight though I'd like to end up at a higher weight than most would like & be quite lean. That happens when one has a good amount of muscle. It does not mean one looks "bulky."

I am enjoying the ride. This time is different; I'm not on a diet plan. I know enough about nutrition at this point not to need one. It is not just about weight loss now. I've eliminated foods I consider unhealthy & I've become very picky about the quality of my food.

Wow, it makes my head spin to think about how my food choices have evolved over the years! lol... I've been from one extreme to the other & most places in-between! The good thing is that I'm "home" now and I love eating healthy unprocessed food. My body loves it, too. I don't want to go back to old ways. It is a wonderful feeling.

I sometimes notice that I seem to be taking up less space in the universe as I'm walking. lol... Weird. As if maybe I'm more aerodynamic. I don't recall noticing this last time. One thing I remember from losing lots previously is catching a glimpse of someone in the mirror when I was working out at the gym. I had to do a double-take before I realized it was me! It was such an amazing moment; before I realized it was my own reflection I was thinking the woman in the mirror was in good shape... I hope to have a moment like that this time. I'm blessed to have a good self-image and that makes a difference as I shrink but to have good first impressions about yourself when you think you are looking at a stranger really validates all the positive self-talk along the way.

While I don't use numbers as a goal I do love losing inches so I take measurements regularly. The tape measure shows our fat-loss and proves that our hard work is getting results. The more things you measure the more you will know you've lost so measure everything!

Just this past week I went through my clothes and got rid of most of them. Most were taken to Salvation Army but the best are going to be taken to consignment so I can earn a bit towards new clothes. Shrinking is hard on the clothing budget!

My closet is 3/4 empty now but at least I know the things hanging there fit. For now anyway. What an eye-opener this has been! I knew I did not have many clothes that fit but I did not realize just how true my claim that "I have NOTHING to wear!" was until I got rid of all the too-big, too worn, too ugly things.

As everyone knows, this shrinking business can be fun but stressful, too. We need to replace our wardrobes a few times as we lose but, because were losing & what we buy will be too big in a few months, we need not to spend much. I literally need everything when it comes to clothes so I'm on the hunt for great clearance deals, finding a few, too. I feel so much better when I wear clothes that fit. It is a priority for me.

I do have old jeans I'm shrinking into (no other old too-small clothes left) and I must say I am so happy I never set a size goal. I have jeans in 4 different sizes that fit! And 3 in the same size but one is too small, one fits & the other was so big it got donated. How many sizes have I lost? Who knows? Go by which sizes? I do know my largest size was at least one size too small.

I've got to try on my "don't quite fit" jeans more often because I've missed out on several pairs by not trying them on until they were too big. It is so much fun to find a pair fits that used to be too small. I had a few of those this evening when jeans I almost did not try on because they could not possibly fit actually did. In fact they went on so easily I figure they may be too big before too long. I don't want to miss out on any of those wonderful experiences.

There are so many wonderful changes we get to experience as we are shrinking. It is indeed special & exciting.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats
Stats: 288/279/150
Start Date: 7/2014
I set my goal weight based on the last time I was truly thin. But that was over 20 years ago. I was in high school. I got down to 125 and it was way too thin for me to maintain. I also looked anorexic. I am 39 now. I have set a goal of 140. At my older age, it may also be too thin for me to maintain. I don't know. I guess I will wait until I get closer to goal to figure it out. The last time I lost a lot of weight was in college. I went from 250 to about 170. I was a size 12. I felt so fat still. I couldn't really feel a difference. But when I look at pictures of myself then I think wow...I looked so good. So I may get to 175 and stop. For now my goal is to just get under 200, because I haven't seen 199 since 2000.
2kids2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
personally, I think goal weights are a bad idea for the very obese. the chance you will get that low and stay there is almost zero. it just sets unreasonable expectations... imagining being like that.

in reality, if you can lose 20% of your highest weight and maintain that, you are an incredible success story.

it is bad, isn't it? I want ALL that fat gone, darn it! and it doesn't look like I will ever get that. I am still fat enough that while it makes a huge difference in daily life, I'm not sure in stranger's minds it's all that different!

sorry to be a downer, but please try to appreciate what you have. *hug*
It does not sound like you do not believe in weight goals (20% is a goal) but you don't think they should be in a normal BMI range.

At a higher weight, I knew a low goal weight would not work for me because the number of lbs I had to lose to get there was overwhelming. Smaller goals would not work because 10 or 20 lbs here or there were and still are insignificant amounts of weight to me. And it took almost 20% for me to get down to the weight I thought I was lol. I realize it's different strokes for different folks though.

As for maintenance, given the sheer quantity of "skinny" people I know who are constantly on diets, I have no idea if the average success rate is any different for the morbidly obese than anyone else. If you enjoy eating (and I do lol), I don't think it's realistic to believe you can maintain a severely calorie-limited diet. If I have to eat the same to maintain as I did to lose (not severely calorie-limited even though I used that as an example in my previous sentence), then I'm not doing something right.

I think the outlook for successful weight loss in the morbidly obese is pretty grim from the general public. That's why shows like The Biggest Loser are so popular. (I say that having never watched the show mind you lol.) I think the most offensive "compliment" I have gotten came from my health fitness coach at the gym. She's only known me for the last 20 lbs or so and after seeing my driver's license asked if I'd had "that surgery". It's like she could not wrap her mind around the fact that I'd lost that much weight on my own and maintained it for quite a while. Nevermind that my license weight hasn't been anywhere near accurate since I was 16.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
in reality, if you can lose 20% of your highest weight and maintain that, you are an incredible success story.

try to appreciate what you have. *hug*
My dr. emphasized this, too. 'Even losing 10% of your body weight is the best thing you can do for your health' he said. And yes, losing it isn't the BEST thing you can do for yourself, it's KEEPING it off that will do you the most good.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I feel thinner. clothes sizes are down. I still have about 35 left to lose.

but I thought I looked very good with the 30 something I lost until I got a pic snapped of me the other day. Yup. I see the heavy still. I KNOW if I lose the last 35 I will be where I want to be.

So I feel thinner obviously. Look thinner in the mirror to me. others say I see you lost weight---but then I see a pic and know I want to lose more!!

But I am the type that can feel 3-5 lbs up in bloat weight. I am just into the 190s finally. I can go up 1-2 lbs and feel it. see it, not really unless the tummy is holding onto sodium. which most times it is for me. If I lose 5 lbs. fast and keep it off I can feel that also. I get that feeling of being lighter. So for me I think I feel the sodium bloats easily. I can see the tummy pooch with it.

For me if losing about 5-6 lbs. down I can feel it each time.

As much as I hate losing weight cause of the time involved, it has been a good journey. Family is eating cleaner by default, I know I am losing and feeling better, my kiddo is learning good food choices and hopefully what I am doing will benefit my family on a whole.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I'm not good with setting goals because I've never not been extremely overweight. The BMI chart is (in my opinion) incredibly low for my height because I'm 5/2 so I have to get to 160 to be considered underweight. I don't know that I will want to be significantly smaller than that though because my body will prob look rough.

the "normal" bmi for my height is 100-130. I have a feeling I will be content in the overweight range but I have no idea because I've never been there. I've been around 200 lbs since like 6th grade
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Great thread! I didn't start gaining any weight until I had my first child in my late 20's. I then spent the next dozen years much heavier than I should be. In high school and college I was a size 8 and felt great (5' 6" with large frame). I spent most of the last decade over 200 lbs with my highest weight at 220. I stayed a size 18 for the bulk of that time. My kids are my main inspiration for losing weight as I want to be there for them for a long time. My mom was obese and she died of a heart attack at the age of 53. I miss her every day!! Given my family history I am terrified that if I don't get my weight under control I will suffer the same fate. My goal is less about the number on the scale and more about my overall health. In addition to the WOE I have added exercise to strengthen my heart and hopefully reverse some of the damage I've done over the last dozen years by being overweight. I want to be a size 10, which I am guessing is about 160 lbs for me so that is what I set as my goal weight. I already feel so much better and healthier (now a size 12). I am also finding that my taste in clothes has changed dramatically. Prior to the weight loss I tried to get clothes that were way too big for me. I also avoided mirrors. Now I don't like wearing baggy clothes and I take a lot more interest in my appearance. This new lifestyle has certainly been a struggle and I battle with the carb demons every day! I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing it and that usually helps me through it.

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I set my goal where I was before children and the easiest weight for me to maintain. I would love to go a lil lower, but that is just a hard weight for me to maintain. I am almost at my goal and feel that once I get there I will reevaluate my goals.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Funny thing about this lc woe.
I actually stopped actively seeking weight loss when I hit goal a few weeks ago.
Guess what? I'm still losing.
I have actually introduced some more carbs into my daily diet. I have fermented sauerkraut, and yogurt now. Doesn't seem to matter, still losing. Of course I'm not losing quickly, but I am definetly down a pound or two from goal.
I'm not concerned. I feel great.
I figure so long as I am eating healthy foods and have energy and good health
then my body will stop losing when it's time.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I could have written your post! I am also 43 years old. I did set my initial goal at 190 because that was what I weighed for quite a while in grad school in my early 20's when I was fit and active. If I get down to that weight and don't lose any more I think I would be happy there. The lowest I have been in my adult life was around 160 (for about 5 minutes) when I was 20 and just finishing up a number of months on Nutrisystem. I was 250 when I graduated high school and throughout most of college before Nutrisystem. So I did lose a lot to get there, but I didn't stay there very long. I have been fat since childhood.

I also am pretty happy with myself for losing over 60 lbs. and I do feel much lighter and smaller, but then I do realize...I'm still very fat! LOL. But I view this as a journey and since I am planning on eating LC the rest of my life I'm not too worried at this point how long it takes me. I'm adding in exercise now, and I know that may slow weight loss, but hopefully that means muscle gain. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-23-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
My goal in 2010-2011 was to wear a size 10 and be in a healthy BMI. I got to 160 and definitely felt skinny! My weight settled at 165-170 for about a year and I was cool with that. It was easily maintainable and I felt as if it was a good weight for me.

By the end of 2012 my weight was starting to creep up again. I was in some size 12ís that were getting tight. My size 10ís were too small for me to wear. It was time for me to get serious again!

I started in Jan. 2013 with a waist/hip measurement Goal of 36Ē hips and 26Ē waist. I used this as a guideline since most of my adult life I weighed 138-140 and those were my measurements. I didnít start piling on the weight until my early 40ís.

My starting measurements in January were 42Ē hips/33Ē waist. As of today they are 36.5Ē hips/ 27.5Ē waist.

I do feel thin! Mostly I notice it when Iím getting undressed for the shower. I donít spend a lot of time dwelling on my naked body but I really like what I see! Iím 56 this year and feel like one hot grandma! I havenít lost my curves and the saggy bits are in the same problem areas Iíve had at any weight.

I try not to dwell too much on pants size. My size 8ís are pretty baggy now. The thought of settling into a size 4 at my height seems odd. Itís Vanity Sizing, so I donít pay it too much mind. 138-145 lbs. on me in 1975 put me into a size 8-10. I have some old size 12 mom jeans that I have kept. They fit just a bit baggy today.

I donít know if I will make my goal of 138 or not. Iím not really concerned if I do or donít. Iím not really pushing to get there. Right now, Iím still losing at maybe 1-2 lbs. per month with very little effort. I love the way that I eat and am rarely hungry or unsatisfied. I really donít feel as if Iím on a diet. As Iíve gotten smaller, I am surprised at the small amount of food that I really need to feel satisfied. When I weighed 220 I could not have wrapped my head around this. Itís been a very slow process of learning for me. I can tell when I have overeaten and it feels horrible now.

Weíve done a pretty major overhaul of changes in our house with food this year. I paid off and reduced some spending of about $5,000 and we have put this directly into our food budget. I bought a few expensive gadgets to allow me to cook/ process most things from scratch. I donít buy much of anything in a can, jar or box anymore.

We still have our carby junk, just not much of it. As time goes on, I'm noticing that we don't crave it as much.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I never set a goal weight. I love to eat and could never restrict my meals to be a smaller size. Ironically, I am now underweight. I eat three large meals a day, feel great, so my weight on the scale is not a concern.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
I agree with tinamanni, my biggest problem is my height. I'm 5'1. Even though I'm down to 165 which is only 15 lbs from my wedding weight, 13 years ago. I'm still wearing size 14... When I was 150 before I had my 4 th child, I was earring size 10. I think I look pretty good from where I started at 191, but yesterday put my measurements into a body fat calculator and it said I have 42 percent body fat... WHAT!!! There is no way I could lose 30 percent of my body weight and look healthy... I have a goal of size 10 for now...

Sahm to 4 kiddos, wife to a lc hubby
Diagnosed insulin resistant 1/2013
Goals:
1: 160 lbs
2. size 10 jeans
3: 145 lbs

Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I've gone from 370 to 220 and I have not set a goal. I'm 5'10 and I'm feeling great! I figure, this is how I eat and when my body decides to stop losing it will stop. The miracle here is that THIS IS HOW I EAT AND LOVE TO EAT AND I KEEP LOSING....still can't get over it!!!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree that setting goals is important.
As for what's "realistic" or not, is really a choice. Baring overriding medical issues,
If you believe that you can't get to a healthy weight then you won't.
If you change your lifestyle, set incremental goals and begin to achieve them, then there is no limit to how much excess fat you can lose. It's really that simple.
I believe that the "optimal" weight for any individual cannot be determined from a chart or index. When YOU are happy with how you look and how you feel; When your health is as good as it can be today, then you are a success.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I've been fat my whole life.

I got down to 184 at my lowest. I felt awesome; I had hit the 100-lb. mark and felt it would be a breeze to finish my loss to my self-set goal of 170. Except that didn't happen. I maintained the 100 lb. loss for only a few weeks, then promptly put back on 5 lbs. and am now at 194.

At 184, I did feel "skinny," though I know that's still considered overweight at the very least (not sure where the cutoff is for obese vs. overweight). But then I would see pix of myself at 184 and go, "OMG, I'm actually still fat!" And that was depressing. I didn't FEEL fat, but I most assuredly was. Plus, I now have all this loose skin that I can't afford to have removed, and that is REALLY frustrating.

I don't know if that played any part in my gaining some of the weight back. But once I hit the 100 lb. mark, it was like something flipped in my brain that said, "You can't do this anymore. Who do you think you are to think you can keep losing?" I started calorie and carb creeping at that point, and I've been stuck at 188 - 194 for the past 6 months.

I know that maintaining a 90 lb. loss is HUGE, and I should celebrate that, but my perfectionist side cannot do it. My mindset is still, "You failed, you didn't reach goal, you will NEVER reach goal." It's very upsetting. I'm trying, I really am.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.

Last edited by Vilya; 06-23-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancypie11 View Post
I agree with tinamanni, my biggest problem is my height. I'm 5'1. Even though I'm down to 165 which is only 15 lbs from my wedding weight, 13 years ago. I'm still wearing size 14... When I was 150 before I had my 4 th child, I was earring size 10. I think I look pretty good from where I started at 191, but yesterday put my measurements into a body fat calculator and it said I have 42 percent body fat... WHAT!!! There is no way I could lose 30 percent of my body weight and look healthy... I have a goal of size 10 for now...
Hi Nancy! Do you mind sharing which online calculator you used. (I've never used an online one and am just curious how the results would compare to the test I had done.)

Also, how did you determine that 42% BF meant you need to lose around 50 more lbs? Did the calculator make that recommendation?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
My highest weight ever was almost 300. After marrying my beloved hubby, I seemed to lose about 30 lbs. without noticing it. When I got serious about low carb, I was about 270.

When I started, I thought that if I got to 220, I'd be fine--I'm 5'10 with a truly large frame: 7.5" wrist and really broad shoulders. I really just wanted to reduce my huge "metabolic middle" belly fat.

Amazingly, I'm now at 180. I've been stalled and bouncing in the 180-185 range for many months now and I'm thinking my body may be happy here. Part of me wants to lose down to 165-170 (I was about 160 throughout most of high school and looked skinny), but I think that would be cosmetic versus healthy.

It's really hard to differentiate between a HEALTHY weight and a cosmetically/culturally ACCEPTABLE weight. I think that culturally we have rather unrealistic expectations about what an acceptable or normal weight is, and it doesn't really take into account different body types. I have a friend who is my height but with a tiny frame (her wrists are 4"). She can wear a size 2...even if I was a skeleton I would never fit into that because of my frame structure. She says she's 140 lbs...the last time I was 140 in high school people asked if I was ill.

It's hard on my ego to accept the fact that I may just stabilize at the 180 mark. After all, I've come this far I should be able to go the rest of the way, right? WRONG. I have to listen carefully to my body. At my age, statistics show that women with a bit more padding can survive illness much better and have a longer life expectancy. Guess I'd rather be healthier and maybe even live longer than be thinner.

Funny though...when I go shopping I still head to the plus size department. It's really hard to wrap my head around the fact that I can shop in size 16/18 (size 12 for pants). I still see a huge middle, but no one else does. My head has not caught up to my smaller body size, so I have to take a friend shopping to give me a realistic opinion. Otherwise, I'd be wearing really baggy, lose clothes thinking I needed to cover lots of fat.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I set my original goal weight at 160, which was my lowest weight in high school (thus, my lowest weight ever as an adult). I was three pounds shy of that before my last pregnancy, so I bumped it twenty pounds lower when I saw I still had significant body fat I could eliminate. I haven't weighed in a month and won't weigh again until the end of summer or even October, but I'm pretty sure I can get my body to settle lower than I originally thought.

And I've kept the weight off for several years, so I'm confident I can keep doing it.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
My highest weight ever was almost 300. After marrying my beloved hubby, I seemed to lose about 30 lbs. without noticing it. When I got serious about low carb, I was about 270.

When I started, I thought that if I got to 220, I'd be fine--I'm 5'10 with a truly large frame: 7.5" wrist and really broad shoulders. I really just wanted to reduce my huge "metabolic middle" belly fat.

Amazingly, I'm now at 180. I've been stalled and bouncing in the 180-185 range for many months now and I'm thinking my body may be happy here. Part of me wants to lose down to 165-170 (I was about 160 throughout most of high school and looked skinny), but I think that would be cosmetic versus healthy.

It's really hard to differentiate between a HEALTHY weight and a cosmetically/culturally ACCEPTABLE weight. I think that culturally we have rather unrealistic expectations about what an acceptable or normal weight is, and it doesn't really take into account different body types. I have a friend who is my height but with a tiny frame (her wrists are 4"). She can wear a size 2...even if I was a skeleton I would never fit into that because of my frame structure. She says she's 140 lbs...the last time I was 140 in high school people asked if I was ill.

It's hard on my ego to accept the fact that I may just stabilize at the 180 mark. After all, I've come this far I should be able to go the rest of the way, right? WRONG. I have to listen carefully to my body. At my age, statistics show that women with a bit more padding can survive illness much better and have a longer life expectancy. Guess I'd rather be healthier and maybe even live longer than be thinner.

Funny though...when I go shopping I still head to the plus size department. It's really hard to wrap my head around the fact that I can shop in size 16/18 (size 12 for pants). I still see a huge middle, but no one else does. My head has not caught up to my smaller body size, so I have to take a friend shopping to give me a realistic opinion. Otherwise, I'd be wearing really baggy, lose clothes thinking I needed to cover lots of fat.
You are right to listen to your body. To me, losing weight is very stressful. I've never seen the point is getting to some set Goal, just to touch a brass ring and then be miserable trying to maintain it.

We do all have different body types and carry weight differently. I just measured and my wrist is 5.5" so I have a much smaller frame and am not/or ever will be "muscular." I have friends who are 5" shorter than I and can totally ROCK weighing 160 lbs.

This is a YMMV thing and why we have to set our own eating and weight goals. You have to do the work to discover the best "you." We have the rest of our lives to do that, God willing, however long that is.

This is such a great thread, I love LCF for helping me with this journey.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
For some people, an ambitious goal can be intimidating. I set small goals rather than aiming for something I thought I might not be able to achieve. I ended up losing more than I thought I would be able to.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote