Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I've been fat my whole life.

I got down to 184 at my lowest. I felt awesome; I had hit the 100-lb. mark and felt it would be a breeze to finish my loss to my self-set goal of 170. Except that didn't happen. I maintained the 100 lb. loss for only a few weeks, then promptly put back on 5 lbs. and am now at 194.

At 184, I did feel "skinny," though I know that's still considered overweight at the very least (not sure where the cutoff is for obese vs. overweight). But then I would see pix of myself at 184 and go, "OMG, I'm actually still fat!" And that was depressing. I didn't FEEL fat, but I most assuredly was. Plus, I now have all this loose skin that I can't afford to have removed, and that is REALLY frustrating.

I don't know if that played any part in my gaining some of the weight back. But once I hit the 100 lb. mark, it was like something flipped in my brain that said, "You can't do this anymore. Who do you think you are to think you can keep losing?" I started calorie and carb creeping at that point, and I've been stuck at 188 - 194 for the past 6 months.

I know that maintaining a 90 lb. loss is HUGE, and I should celebrate that, but my perfectionist side cannot do it. My mindset is still, "You failed, you didn't reach goal, you will NEVER reach goal." It's very upsetting. I'm trying, I really am.

Maintaining a 90 lb. weight loss is HUGE!!! Tell that negative voice that is saying ""You failed, you didn't reach goal, you will NEVER reach goal" to shut up. You turned it on and you can shut it off. Go in and change your stats to 194 goal. Accept that you are PERFECT, just the way you are and celebrate how far you have come.

It's a head game for sure, but enjoy where you are for now and don't discount what it took to get you to HERE, TODAY.

I've had to do this in so many areas of my life in the past few years, not just with weight. We want so much to be perfect that we don't see how much we have really grown.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
My friend is about 250 pounds, but she has lost over 100 pounds! So, 250 is pretty amazing for her. Thevreality is, most of us won't ever look like swimsuit models. My body has a lot of flaws, but it is healthy and that makes it perfect!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
Hi Nancy! Do you mind sharing which online calculator you used. (I've never used an online one and am just curious how the results would compare to the test I had done.)

Also, how did you determine that 42% BF meant you need to lose around 50 more lbs? Did the calculator make that recommendation?
You can google nowloss, 3 Ways To check your Body Fat percentage…, this is the one I used...
I figured at 42 percent of my body is fat, that is 70 lbs, you need a certain amount of bf, so I took off 20 lbs as necessary bf.. I don't know if that is how I should have calculated but it seemed right to me...

Eta: other than the extra skin for having 4 large babies, my stomach is pretty flat, I'm not sure how that figures in...

Last edited by Maryposa; 06-24-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
I've been skinny, i've been morbidly obese, both many times, and everything in between. All I know is that I'm about to enter into the hardest but most rewarding period for my body. It's exciting because I know that each pound lost makes a much more remarkable impact on what I look like than from 350 to 250. It's also hard because I know I've gotten to this point so many times and failed. This time I'm hoping I'm using the right tools to make it a more permanent change, one that will carry me into not only a physically healthier place, but also mentally.

On a less serious note, all my damn boxer shorts don't fit anymore! I have like a week's worth of ones that fit at the moment, but that isn't going to last forever. Time to do some shopping I suppose.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
I'm down 60 lbs and around 7 lbs or so far goal of 140. The last time I weighed 140 was around the time I got married 23 Years ago! So i'm still trying to figure out where I should stop. I get people telling me Now to stop losing because I look " so skinny!" but while the Top half of me way look that way the Middle of me does Not. But I can't really expect my stomach and midsection to be like it was 23 yrs ago. 2 babies 3 pregnancies, 3 surgeries. So I am lost as what to do somedays. I guess i'll decide 7 lbs from now? LOL!
I started this thread after reading yours bc I was like "wow! you're so close!" and wondering what on earth that must be like.

I am so curious about my stomach/midsection bc I have had two babies and its kinda hard to tell what was fat and what was babies and I have no idea how much can be healed and shrunk up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSugaree View Post
I was a chubby child. My grandmother took care of me and my siblings and she spoiled us with food, and that is putting it lightly. When I turned 16 and was in high school, I starved myself so I could stay thin. At that time I was a size 8, which for me is the perfect size because I am a bit hippy. At the age of 20 is when I blew up and weighed 214 lbs. I went on Atkins at the age of 22 and lost about 80lbs. I was able to maintain this weight for about four years. It was wonderful to not worry about my weight. I was more active and I became more secure about myself. Well, unfortunately, when I was 26 my grandmother passed away. After this happened I went on a downward spiral. I was depressed and eating for comfort. From that time till now I blew up in my weight. I was 258lbs, the heaviest I had ever been in my life. For years I was depressed and became a hermit. I went from being an active happy person, to being a lonely hermit. Friends would call me to go out and I would make excuses, I was so embarrassed of my weight I never wanted to go out and be seen. The town I live in, I have lived in my whole life, it's one of those places where everyone knows everyone. I would go to the stores and see people I knew, but would hide. I wouldn't want to face anyone looking like I do.
The turnaround for me is when one of my nieces said with a sad face, "How come you never come see me do my dance routines at school". I felt so bad, and I was broken hearted. I thought about everything I have missed, and how it was hurting my family.
Two weeks later another thing came into play. I suffered what is called a esophageal spasm. Well this felt like a heart attack, my left arm went numb and everything. It was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. At the hospital the ER doctor mentioned my weight and told me I needed to get healthy and start eating right. This was a huge wake up call. I thought about how I am only 37 years old, and I could die from my weight.
The bottom line is, my health and my family are what made me realize I couldn't keep going the way I was going. I needed to make a lot of changes. I had to stop wallowing in my own sadness and make it happen. I can truly say that Atkins is a life saver to me. It is the only diet that ever works for me, and it keeps me healthy. I do not have acid reflux any longer, no more bloating and no more IBS. I still have a long journey ahead, but for the first time in a long time, I am taking charge of my life. At the weight of 225lbs, this is the lowest weight I have been in over 6 years, and I know this is just the beginning. My goal weight is 150, and I am determined to get there no matter how long it takes. I guess my point was to say, just the small amount I have lost, it has already begun to change my life, and make me think differently about myself and my goals.
This makes me want to give you a big hug! I'm so happy you're on a better path for your health. I was in a similar place when I got started this last time. I was feeling so insanely unhealthy, I can't even describe it, but it permeated everything I did. Could hardly get up off the couch. But it didn't take a lot of pounds to see a big improvement and it has kept on improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
For the last 8 months or so I have not been able to stick to a plan over 2 days in a row.
I am now back up to 320 lbs . It seems that over the last 20 years or so I have lost from
about 300-320 lbs to about 245 lbs 6 times or more. It seems that when I hit about 245 lbs I just totaly hit the skids. Well an hour ago I set up a computer so I could watch Netflix movies while on the treadmill and as they say tomorow is a new day.
I have been there, too. I lost 40 pounds two years ago and then got knocked off track and had a hell of a time getting back on. I think it took me over a year to start in again for real. That really sucked. I hope the treadmill gets you motivated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
I had coffee with a friend this morning and we took a few pics (likely the 1st I've taken this year). I looked at the phone and was like "hmm, I have lost weight." Friend just rolled her eyes lol, but I could not have been more serious. Whatever controls that in my brain must be all busted up.
OMG, look at your stats woman! You have done an amazing job! I hear you about the body dysmorphic disorder, though, and my problem is always when I catch myself at a weird angle as I'm walking by a window. I'm fine if I'm standing up straight, tummy in, looking in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post
My dr. emphasized this, too. 'Even losing 10% of your body weight is the best thing you can do for your health' he said. And yes, losing it isn't the BEST thing you can do for yourself, it's KEEPING it off that will do you the most good.
I totally got going this time because of the health stuff and I am still in the "obese" category (though, seriously, I don't think "obese" is a good description of my current state, stupid bmi!), but I just know from how I feel that I am so, so much better off than I was before. It is just a world of difference. If I were to stay at this weight forever, that would certainly be a vast improvement and I'd be so much better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamanni View Post
the "normal" bmi for my height is 100-130. I have a feeling I will be content in the overweight range but I have no idea because I've never been there. I've been around 200 lbs since like 6th grade
I'm not 100% sure how tall I am bc I used to be 5'2" and then when I was 30 a nurse measured me and said I was 5'0" and I argued with her about it and she was adamant, so now I've been thinking all these years that I'm 5'0". But the other day I picked up my 9 year old at a friend's house and I said "wow, you've grown, yada yada" and the kid said he was measured at the doc as 4'11 1/2" yesterday. And I was at least a couple of inches taller than him. Sigh... So I have to get to the bottom of that!

But, I had set as my goal weight 130, which is actually in the overweight category for what I thought my height was. I may be better off at 135, which I'm sure is "overweight" no matter my height. I spent a lot of years at 135 and felt good there. I do think that at the lower end of the height range the weight is too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I also am pretty happy with myself for losing over 60 lbs. and I do feel much lighter and smaller, but then I do realize...I'm still very fat! LOL. But I view this as a journey and since I am planning on eating LC the rest of my life I'm not too worried at this point how long it takes me. I'm adding in exercise now, and I know that may slow weight loss, but hopefully that means muscle gain. I'm ok with that.
I think that when I really understood that I had to eat LC regardless of my weight, like even if I didn't lose and no matter what weight I eventually got to, I was still going to be low carb for the health benefits, was a turning point for me. It let me relax a little bc I know that I'm going to be doing it anyway. I used to feel like if I ate well for a couple of weeks running with no loss that that was a wasted effort, but now I know its not and that I'll be making that effort no matter what.

I started exercising probably about 10 or 12 pounds ago and I can't believe how great it's made me feel and how significantly different I look because of it. I just started getting serious about it at the beginning of April, so it hasn't been very long, but is rewarding. I do think, though, that it has increased my appetite a lot. I hope you get awesome results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
My starting measurements in January were 42” hips/33” waist. As of today they are 36.5” hips/ 27.5” waist.
Your start measurements were my measurements today. I was thinking that ideal would be 36ish and somewhere between 26 and 28. I think I used to wear 28" waist levi's, but that was the measurement of the pants, right? Not my actual waist? I always had bigger hips, so the waist was always big on my jeans. Anyway, that's great progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I've gone from 370 to 220 and I have not set a goal. I'm 5'10 and I'm feeling great! I figure, this is how I eat and when my body decides to stop losing it will stop. The miracle here is that THIS IS HOW I EAT AND LOVE TO EAT AND I KEEP LOSING....still can't get over it!!!
That's awesome! While I do have a loose goal, I am not planning on "stopping" when I get there and may lose beyond. I am hoping to just continue eating this way and seeing where my body takes it. If I start to verge on too skinny, I'll have to make some changes I guess, but its hard to imagine that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I believe that the "optimal" weight for any individual cannot be determined from a chart or index. When YOU are happy with how you look and how you feel; When your health is as good as it can be today, then you are a success.
ITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I don't know if that played any part in my gaining some of the weight back. But once I hit the 100 lb. mark, it was like something flipped in my brain that said, "You can't do this anymore. Who do you think you are to think you can keep losing?" I started calorie and carb creeping at that point, and I've been stuck at 188 - 194 for the past 6 months.

I know that maintaining a 90 lb. loss is HUGE, and I should celebrate that, but my perfectionist side cannot do it. My mindset is still, "You failed, you didn't reach goal, you will NEVER reach goal." It's very upsetting. I'm trying, I really am.
I'm sorry! That sounds really hard. BUT it really is quite amazing to have maintained that 90 pounds down. And when you do get back to it, it will certainly be a million times nicer to start at this weight than your high weight. And if you don't get back to it, you are so much better off at this weight. Does it help at all to think about where you were when you started? For me, it helps put things in perspective to remember that I didn't fit on furniture right and it was harder to even roll over in bed and get comfortable. Moving around is just easier. Thinking about those things helps me appreciate this present weight a little more even when I'm feeling fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
It's really hard to differentiate between a HEALTHY weight and a cosmetically/culturally ACCEPTABLE weight. I think that culturally we have rather unrealistic expectations about what an acceptable or normal weight is, and it doesn't really take into account different body types. I have a friend who is my height but with a tiny frame (her wrists are 4"). She can wear a size 2...even if I was a skeleton I would never fit into that because of my frame structure. She says she's 140 lbs...the last time I was 140 in high school people asked if I was ill.

It's hard on my ego to accept the fact that I may just stabilize at the 180 mark. After all, I've come this far I should be able to go the rest of the way, right? WRONG. I have to listen carefully to my body. At my age, statistics show that women with a bit more padding can survive illness much better and have a longer life expectancy. Guess I'd rather be healthier and maybe even live longer than be thinner.

Funny though...when I go shopping I still head to the plus size department. It's really hard to wrap my head around the fact that I can shop in size 16/18 (size 12 for pants). I still see a huge middle, but no one else does. My head has not caught up to my smaller body size, so I have to take a friend shopping to give me a realistic opinion. Otherwise, I'd be wearing really baggy, lose clothes thinking I needed to cover lots of fat.
I have no idea any more what a normal or healthy weight looks like. I was reading in wheat belly the other day that in the early 1900's the average weight of women was something like 125 pounds. I would have thought that while everyone wants to be 125 pounds, a healthy or normal weight would be a bit higher. But apparently that was normal for back then. I dunno. I tend to think that quite a lot of people walking around here look malnourished. But when I go home to the east coast people look normal to me. I wonder if there is that much geographic variation or if I'm just seeing things weird.

I'm having a hard time reeling in my "fat" clothes, too. And I haven't even tried to go shopping in a non-plus-sized store yet, though I think I could. I have some stuff from the thrift store that fits and is size large and extra large and size 16 pants from costco that fit (are those regular, not plus? I feel like normal stores only went up to size 12 when I was wearing those sizes).

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I don't have much to contribute here that hasn't been said before, but this has been a fantastic thread to read.

I know, for me, my brain often has two reactions at once: a combination of "I've come so far! Yay" and "I've got so far to go - will I ever get there?" I'm not as strictly regimented as some, but I stick to it. I stuck with it through a long bout of no loss, and I hope that means I can stick with it for the long haul.

I know that the reason for my success to this point is tied to finding this message board. There is no way at all I would have stuck it out on my own. Again, I hope this means I can stick with it through to the end.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I gained weight as an adult. And I was dissatisfied with my figure *before* I gained weight because I thought I was "too skinny." But after gaining weight and then losing a lot of it, I've realized that I wasn't actually too thin but that I was dissatisfied with my natural shape.

In my Afro-Caribbean culture, being "hippy" and having a large butt are prized attributes in women -- it's called "guitarra," being shaped like a guitar. And I just don't naturally have this shape. I'm definitely not too skinny now, but losing weight has meant FIRST losing the fullness and roundness in my hips and butt that came as the result of excess bodyfat -- I lost size in my hips before I lost size anywhere else, and I've continued to lose size in my hips when losses have slowed down in other parts of my body. In some ways -- according to my cultural perception -- I look *worse* now that I'm smaller. But I'm stronger and healthier, so I'm not going to be upset that I don't have the hottest hips in the nightclub when I go out. I would honestly rather be healthy than hotness.

And there's really nothing I can do. There's no amount of fat loss or weight training that will make my straight-hipped body into a guitar. I have an amazing trainer -- who has a very successful career prepping bodybuilders for competition -- and he's helping me make the most of what my shape *can* be. But my underlying frame is what it is, and I can't change that. And carrying a bit of extra fat won't help, either, because I can't choose where that fat will go. So I just need to accept myself for who I am and love it, even though it doesn't match my cultural ideal of womanly beauty.

I will say, though, that my cousin who is a pageant queen hooked me up with her contact in Brazil who custom makes specialty butt-lifting, padded undergarments. So I'm trying to find an artificial solution. Acceptance is hard!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #38

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I need those! I have no butt, I hate it!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #39

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Well, honestly, I sort of randomly set an end goal of 175 pounds. I was 325 pounds when I set that goal, and am now 262ish. But I think I want to get to 162 pounds so I literally can claim to have lost half my body weight.
My original goal was 199, then I lowered it to 175 (the weight I was when DH and I started dating). When I got there, I lowered it to 165. At 165, I went into maintenance, but still lost another 10 pounds. I maintained between 155-157 for around 4 months, and just recently decided I want to go lower. I put my goal at 145, but honestly, I've been toying with shooting for 139 so I can also say I've lost exactly half my body weight.

I'm 5'9" and have a smallish frame, so 130s isn't crazy, even though it seems crazy coming from 278.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #40

Gallery: pocahontas
I am 5'10" and weighed 175 in high school. I played volleyball, basketball and softball and thought I was so fat! Not even close! I was just taller than almost every one else and that made me feel "big". In the years after high school, I settled around 200 and looked ok but then I went through a bad breakup and ballooned up to 289 by the time I was 23. I moved to San Diego the summer before I turned 24 and by my birthday I had lost down to 225 with Atkins. That was when I found this website, back in 2001. In 2002, I met DH and kind of stabilized around 235-240. We moved in together in 2003 and it ballooned even more from there. On our wedding day in 2007, I weighed 335. It's been a tough road since, I lose then gain, then get pregnant. I am pregnant now with our second and last child. I plan on getting back to my high school weight once this baby comes. If I can get to 199, I will call it a success!

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote