LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Giving up for awhile

I guess I'm going to take a break from low carb for awhile. I won't go crazy, but going to be moderate. Have been totally strict induction, in ketosis every day, for over 6 weeks. Got weighed at the doctor's this morning and have only lost 3 pounds. I'm glad for the 3 pounds, but since I gave up drinking 6 weeks ago also and have been consuming at least 3000 less calories a day just from alcohol alone, I would think I'd be doing better. Luckily I don't crave sweets at all. Passed up 2 kinds of birthday cake tonight with no problem, but did eat the spicy Asian noodles. I'll stay on the forum for encouragement and probably will start again within the week.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
That's 3 more than I have lost, and I am staying on plan... And I am 263 ish pounds, and a guy. And I have been incredibly strict and focused.... I wish you well, but I wish even more that you stay on plan for three months, at least.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I know that you were taking CLA/GLA (I think it was you on that forum) and those supps are known to be scale stallers. Just a thought, if you are frustrated with the scale. Also, you said you notice your clothes getting looser, that's progress!

Good luck! I know my weight is more or less hovering around 180 for weeks now, but I'm not actively focusing on losing, just enjoying the summer, so I understand your frustration!
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am moderate carb and I am losing weight.

It can be done

whatever you do, stay to healthy foods. keep off the boxed junk, the lousey sugar and all the chemical foods.

Eat healthy but enjoy some healthy carbs also. I eat mashed potatoes. I have a mini bagel every now and then. I have something like a brownie sparingly if wanted. I eat the carbier fruits all the time.

And SOME PEOPLE need more carbs in their system to lose.

Everyone is SO different. Some can eat at 20-30 nc and not lose much but up to about 40-50 nc and start to lose again. You don't have to be mega low carb to lose weight. So taking a break might help you actually.

It is just crazy sometimes trying to find your eating niche to get the scale to drop.

You hang in there! It will all happen for you. The right combination of eating will kick that scale into loss mode and you will find your way!! You just have to experiment with your eating just a bit to find the sweet spot
Old 06-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I will admit, It would be hard to stick with lc if I did not lose weight. Despite the numerous other things I have gained from lc.
However, when I was pregnant and had horrible cravings. I stayed on plan for my health. I really could care less about weight when pregnant, but I knew those carbs are not good for me or my baby.
Try to focus on your health, not your weight. Do you feel better on lc?
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I'm glad for the 3 pounds, but since I gave up drinking 6 weeks ago also and have been consuming at least 3000 less calories a day just from alcohol alone, I would think I'd be doing better.
So you have a daily caloric deficit of 3000 calories for 6 weeks and you have only lost 3 lbs.? That defies logic. I would ask your doctor what could be causing this...it makes absolutely no sense. Good luck!
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Congrats on leaving the alcohol behind. Alcohol to the tune of 3000 calories a day does a number on your body and makes your weight loss slow as it makes your intestinal system an acid environment . Your body needs to recuperate and recreate the alkaline balance in the intestinal tract. Lo carb lets it do that.Feeding yourself more carbs along the lines of refined carbs is just going to prolong the wait. Read up, don't give up.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I know it sounds odd, but you may be losing inches instead of pounds.
There are alot of people who for some reason may not lose according to the scale,
but the tape measure tells a whole different story.
Are your clothes fitting more loosely?
If so, then your lc plan is working.
Good luck to you.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/287.2/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
I know that you were taking CLA/GLA (I think it was you on that forum) and those supps are known to be scale stallers. Just a thought, if you are frustrated with the scale. Also, you said you notice your clothes getting looser, that's progress!

Good luck! I know my weight is more or less hovering around 180 for weeks now, but I'm not actively focusing on losing, just enjoying the summer, so I understand your frustration!
Right, I think I remember you posting about how you had decided to take the inches lost from your waist over the scale losses, because you knew that a slowdown in scale loss was possible with CLA.

Or was that someone else?

It kind of feels like you're all over the place, changing your approach multiple times, eating off plan, not settling into one approach for very long. It can be hard to see results that way.

I wish you the best, and look forward to seeing you back on plan when you're ready.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I am new to LC and really no one to give advice to anyone...
The only thing I can tell you is that I was about to give up in the third week, and listening to people in this forum (Thanks Emel, Bella, Ntombi, Suzanne, Cathy...) and doing a lot of reading made me adjust my WOE and I am finally losing...
Do not give up
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatphdguy View Post
I am new to LC and really no one to give advice to anyone...
The only thing I can tell you is that I was about to give up in the third week, and listening to people in this forum (Thanks Emel, Bella, Ntombi, Suzanne, Cathy...) and doing a lot of reading made me adjust my WOE and I am finally losing...
Do not give up
Woot! Woot! Yay!
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Right, I think I remember you posting about how you had decided to take the inches lost from your waist over the scale losses, because you knew that a slowdown in scale loss was possible with CLA.

Or was that someone else?

It kind of feels like you're all over the place, changing your approach multiple times, eating off plan, not settling into one approach for very long. It can be hard to see results that way.

I wish you the best, and look forward to seeing you back on plan when you're ready.
I will be back on plan in a couple of days. Just frustrated for now. I have not eaten off plan except for one evening last week, for the last 6-7 weeks. Even then I was still in ketosis since I only ate a small amount of carbs over my limit.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Dont give up. I hadnt lose anything since March or April, its been so long since the scale moved I forget which month. I am going to a birthday party to night and had decided last night to eat and drink whatever and how much I wanted. I mean what's the point of depriving myself when I hadnt lost a single inch or pound, right? I woke this morning and had a 4 pound loss! This was one time my obsession with the scale worked in my favor jad I not weighed this morning I would have undone all the hard work in 5 hours at this party tonight. Trust me I know the frustration you feel, it can be very disheartening but if you can find it within yourself stay on plan. Oh by the way I found I cannot lose weight eating more than 20 TOTAL carbs that's how damaged my body is at this time.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Congrats on leaving the alcohol behind. Alcohol to the tune of 3000 calories a day does a number on your body and makes your weight loss slow as it makes your intestinal system an acid environment . Your body needs to recuperate and recreate the alkaline balance in the intestinal tract. Lo carb lets it do that.Feeding yourself more carbs along the lines of refined carbs is just going to prolong the wait. Read up, don't give up.
Wow, I never new that alchohol was so acidic. Thanks for pointing that out.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/163/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Sweetie from Literally Dec to June I May have lost 2-3 Lbs. Total! Not per month. Please don't give up. We're All here for ya!!
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote