Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Zevia "Zero Calorie Soda" has 4g of carbs? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806603-zevia-zero-calorie-soda-has-4g-carbs.html)

Garlic 06-21-2013 03:47 PM

Zevia "Zero Calorie Soda" has 4g of carbs?
 
How is that even possible?

And it may have screwed up my 30 carbs or less for the day. I know that government labels make them list things certain ways, so I didn't even look at the label, figuring that they might say < 1g carbs..... but 4 carbs is 16 calories...

What do you think is going on here? I drank the whole can before I read the label. It makes no sense to me.

Mistizoom 06-21-2013 04:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that's from the erythritol, a sugar alcohol. It has essentially zero impact on blood sugar, so a lot of people subtract it from their net carbs for the day. But if you are counting total carbs, sugar alcohols are indeed carbs. If you don't want any carbs, Hansen's is a good brand of diet soda that is sweetened with sucralose and ace k.

ETA: I mean Diet Hansen's, regular is sweetened with cane sugar.

MtherGoos 06-21-2013 04:23 PM

I noticed that too! My daughter and I were shopping at Whole Foods and she was trying to get me to buy one to try it, and I was shocked when I read the label.

Blue Skies 06-21-2013 05:05 PM

I second what Misti said. Hansen's diet pops are 0 carbs and not sweetened w/sugar alcohol or aspertame. Their Black Cherry is freaking divine, particularly w/a splash of HWC and lots of ice. Better and more satisfying than many a desert.

Taxbane 06-21-2013 05:21 PM

IMO the label is reflecting sugar alcohols - Erythritol.

IMO you don't even have to count the net carbs associated with Erythritol because only 5% of each gram is actually metabolized. As such, you would have eat 100g of erythritol before you had to count 5 grams toward a carb limit.

:)

cfine 06-21-2013 07:59 PM

Yes, it's sugar alcohols. Shouldn't be a big deal. Well, it's not for me anyway. I eat a lot of erythritol.

Patience 06-22-2013 09:40 AM

This tripped me up too, so at least for now no Zevia.
The only kind that tasted good to me was the Ginger Root beer and the cream soda (a distant second)

thatphdguy 06-22-2013 09:44 AM

Interesting...
I drink Diet rite...They claim to be 0 Carbs

Mistizoom 06-22-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatphdguy (Post 16482264)
Interesting...
I drink Diet rite...They claim to be 0 Carbs

I'm pretty sure Diet Rite is sweetened with sucralose and maybe ace k.

thatphdguy 06-22-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16482305)
I'm pretty sure Diet Rite is sweetened with sucralose and maybe ace k.

Oh It is...
These are the ingredients in DR: Water, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Sucralose, Citric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (Preservative), Acesulfame Potassium, Natural Flavors, Acacia Gum. Potassium Citrate

solarpluvia 06-22-2013 12:09 PM

At least Diet Rite has no aspartame. I wanted to like the Hansen's SF sodas, but none of them tasted right. Too much fake sweet. Diet Rite manages to taste almost exactly the way I remember full sugar Pepsi tasting. They've got a good balance of sucralose and aceK. Sometimes you just get so desperate for something that doesn't taste like fake fruit.

2kids2cats 06-22-2013 02:27 PM

I can't drink anything with Ace K in it. Makes me feel weird. I haven't had any problems with zevia

Mistizoom 06-22-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarpluvia (Post 16482379)
At least Diet Rite has no aspartame. I wanted to like the Hansen's SF sodas, but none of them tasted right. Too much fake sweet. Diet Rite manages to taste almost exactly the way I remember full sugar Pepsi tasting. They've got a good balance of sucralose and aceK. Sometimes you just get so desperate for something that doesn't taste like fake fruit.

LOL, I don't like the taste of Diet Rite. I haven't tried all the Diet Hansen's but I do like the gingerale and my husband and son like the diet root beer. I didn't really like the tangerine lime. I think I'm going to try Diet Coke with Splenda next week, there is a coupon good for a free 12 pack of soda from my grocery store.

flatferenghi 06-22-2013 03:09 PM

it is so important to read labels...regardless
 
erythritol is the least "invasive" of sugar alcohols. most people should not have a problem with it. Enjoy! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

solarpluvia 06-23-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16482549)
LOL, I don't like the taste of Diet Rite. I haven't tried all the Diet Hansen's but I do like the gingerale and my husband and son like the diet root beer. I didn't really like the tangerine lime. I think I'm going to try Diet Coke with Splenda next week, there is a coupon good for a free 12 pack of soda from my grocery store.

If I could find Diet Coke with Splenda around here, I'd love to try it. But no store here carries it and I loathe the taste of aspartame as well as the flu-like symptoms it gives me.

PaminKY 06-25-2013 11:20 AM

I drink an ocassional Zevia now and then as a treat and my favorites are the Caffeine Free Cola (it's better than the regular for some reason) and the Cream Soda, I also like the Dr. Zevia to cook with. The carbs on the label are from the erythritol and on the regular cola that I am looking at right now it says 12g carbs and 12g erythritol for a net 0 carbs.

I've recently been trying out the Virgils Zero sodas and I really like the ones I've tried and the only sweetener used in them is stevia. I've tried the root beer, cream soda and cola and like them all but especially liked the cola. I've bought the black cherry cream soda and the Dr Pepper flavored one but haven't tried them yet.

Zevia and Virgils also don't have the other toublesome ingredients like sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate.

I try to stay away from artiticial sweeteners and only use stevia and erythritol. I am especially wary of Ace K. I've always thought it was evil and when I used to drink mainstream diet drinks the only one that didn't have it was Diet Coke but I'm pretty sure it's in them now so I don't drink any diet drinks except for the ones listed above.

Here's an excerpt from "The Science of Skinny" regarding Ace K:

This additive is a high-potency artificial sweetener. It is about two hundred times sweeter than sugar, and is typically used together in products with sucralose (another toxic additive). Even when compared to asparatame and saccharin (which are afflicted with their own safety problems), acesulfame K is the worst. In the 1970s, the FDA based its approval on tests of acesulfame K that fell short of the agency's own standards. Two studies carried out in rats and one in mice indicated that the additive might cause cancer in lab animals. which means it may increase cancer risk in humans. It may also cause blood sugar attacks and has been shown to elevate cholestrol in lab animals. In addition, large doses of acetoacetamide, a breakdown product, have been shown to affect the thyroid in rats, rabbits, and dogs.

In 1996, the CSPI urged the FDA to require better testing before permitting Ace K in soft drinks. That request was not followed. In July 1998, the FDA allowed this chemical to be used in soft drinks and supplements such as protein powders, thereby increasing consumer exposure.

Mistizoom 06-25-2013 05:58 PM

IMHO, CSPI is an alarmist organization and I take anything the say with a huge grain of salt (which would probably annoy them as the don't like salt either). They want to have our food choices heavily regulated. Ace K today, saturated fats tomorrow (or probably today - I'm sure they don't like saturated fats either).

Jleighs 06-25-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaminKY (Post 16486510)

I try to stay away from artiticial sweeteners and only use stevia and erythritol. I am especially wary of Ace K. I've always thought it was evil and when I used to drink mainstream diet drinks the only one that didn't have it was Diet Coke but I'm pretty sure it's in them now so I don't drink any diet drinks except for the ones listed above.

Here's an excerpt from "The Science of Skinny" regarding Ace K:

This additive is a high-potency artificial sweetener. It is about two hundred times sweeter than sugar, and is typically used together in products with sucralose (another toxic additive). Even when compared to asparatame and saccharin (which are afflicted with their own safety problems), acesulfame K is the worst. In the 1970s, the FDA based its approval on tests of acesulfame K that fell short of the agency's own standards. Two studies carried out in rats and one in mice indicated that the additive might cause cancer in lab animals. which means it may increase cancer risk in humans. It may also cause blood sugar attacks and has been shown to elevate cholestrol in lab animals. In addition, large doses of acetoacetamide, a breakdown product, have been shown to affect the thyroid in rats, rabbits, and dogs.

In 1996, the CSPI urged the FDA to require better testing before permitting Ace K in soft drinks. That request was not followed. In July 1998, the FDA allowed this chemical to be used in soft drinks and supplements such as protein powders, thereby increasing consumer exposure.

Thanks for the info on Ace K. I, too, avoid artificial sweeteners. If I'm going to have something sweet, it's going to be with pure cane sugar, not something conjured up in a lab somewhere. I don't like the taste of stevia, so I do without sweeteners (except for the occasional super-dark chocolate).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.