Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Watermelon...mmmm... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806592-watermelon-mmmm.html)

doxielove 06-21-2013 12:23 PM

Watermelon...mmmm...

Too carby? 5.5 grams net carbs for 1/2 cup diced. I never eat fruit and usually don't care, but this seems reasonable. Will it spike my blood sugar? Any thoughts?

Taxbane 06-21-2013 12:32 PM

Seems like a reasonable treat to me. I don't have a link handy but a glycemic index or glycemic load calculator can give you an idea about the impact on blood sugar. You can also eat other things with it to lessen the impact of the spike (like fats/proteins/fiber).

nolcjunk 06-21-2013 12:40 PM

What's your plan and how far along are you?

I eat watermelon now regularly during the summer but I am in maintenance.

clackley 06-21-2013 01:27 PM

Not worth it for me but I am very carb sensitive and 1/2 cup would never do it for me. Others may do just fine with it.

ravenrose 06-21-2013 02:43 PM

I seem to recall reading that watermelon and grapes were the worst fruits, sugar wise.

Blue Skies 06-21-2013 03:55 PM

One way to enjoy smaller amts of watermelon, and not be tempted to do more than that half cup, is to use it in a salad. Watermelon, feta, kalamata olives and mint leaves, dressed w/Olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a dash of Tobasco is so very delicious. Plus you get some healthy fats in w/it. When you make it this way, w/all that other stuff, it's a very satisfying serving

Garlic 06-21-2013 03:57 PM

I am diabetic.. I was told to "never let watermelon cross your lips". This from my endocrinologist.

clackley 06-21-2013 04:00 PM

I heard that cucumber and liquid sucralose makes a decent l/c replacement and that if your eyes are closed, you couldn't tell the difference! Haven't tried it ....

Blue Skies 06-21-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16481414)
I heard that cucumber and liquid sucralose makes a decent l/c replacement and that if your eyes are closed, you couldn't tell the difference! Haven't tried it ....

Wow, that's interesting. The watermelon recipe I quoted above is one of my fave summer salads. I should try it w/cucumbers! But, it seems to me the texture of the two is quite different, the cucumber being much more dense, and not near as well, watery and juicy. Watermelon is kind of like a fruit slushy, imo.

clackley 06-21-2013 04:12 PM

Yes, I would agree about the texture.

Nelle Belle 06-21-2013 06:29 PM

Hate cucumbers, love watermelon.
If I have 1/2 a cup, I need to eat the whole thing. And yes, I probably could eat a whole watermelon during the course of a day.

princessmommy 06-21-2013 08:54 PM

I haven't touched watermelon in over a year. I don't trust myself because i'd eat the whole thing!

amberlicious 06-21-2013 09:53 PM

For me, there is no such thing as one serving of watermelon. It is so delicious! I have often gone overboard on it, and I really cannot just eat one peice. As ravenrose said, it is one of the worst fruits sugarwise. its glycemic load is high. But if you could eat it in moderation, I think a half a cup would be fine.

Trigger828 06-22-2013 03:55 AM

I know eating it in moderation is fine for me. I can eat a normal big old slice of watermelon and it sure dosen't effect the scale at least for me :)

I eat alot of the heavier carb fruits. They don't trigger me. Some people can't have a little, but I am fortunate I can eat some.

mamasooze 06-23-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16481402)
One way to enjoy smaller amts of watermelon, and not be tempted to do more than that half cup, is to use it in a salad. Watermelon, feta, kalamata olives and mint leaves, dressed w/Olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a dash of Tobasco is so very delicious. Plus you get some healthy fats in w/it. When you make it this way, w/all that other stuff, it's a very satisfying serving

Can make a meal of this....throw in some homegrown tomatoes too.

Strawberry 06-23-2013 10:13 AM

A half cup of watermelon would be about 2 bites for me. If you can stop at a 1/2 cup, I could see incorporating it.

Otherwise, I would wait until maintenance.