LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/1/14
Need help with on-the-go breakfasts

Hi! I get up early and am on the road, on the way to work, by 7:00. I'm usually starving right away in the morning, so I like to have something quick and convenient to eat in the car with my coffee. Bars are the most convenient, but I'm trying to stay away from processed foods. Shakes just don't satisfy my hunger.

Please share your ideas with me! Thanks!
RhondaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Bullet proof coffee or fat bombs will take care of hunger.
You could carry boiled or deviled eggs for protein.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I find putting about half a tablespoon of coconut oil and 2-3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee (about 6 ounces of it) keeps me full for a good 3-4 hours.

Usually my last meal of the day is around 5-6:30PM, and I wake up with some minor appetite and this seals the deal for me until about 12:30PM after consuming it around 8-8:30AM. Sometimes I don't notice any appetite around 12:30, but I'll still have my lunch around then, albeit the portions are often smaller than if I waited for hunger to "hit."
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spagirl116
Stats: 258/226.2/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 5/1/2013
On weekends I cook up a whole package of bacon and then split it up to use throughout the week. Celery sticks and flavored cream cheese is easy to transport, delicious and low carb.
Spagirl116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Cook a pound of sausage patties and some hardboiled eggs.
In the morning, mash together and toss a little butter on it and nuke gently to heat.

or leftover sliced chicken made into a sandwich with lettuce as a wrap.

tuna salad, just eat it with a spoon, or egg salad.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14~282/247/182
Start Date: One day at a time
I have made quiche muffins that are very easy to eat on the go. You can make a dozen mini quiches with 5 eggs and a cup of HWC. Then add cheese and fillings of your choice into each muffin well. I would make a variety from traditional with options like ham, sausage, bacon, or more creative like spinach & feta, Italian sausage & roasted red peppers, taco meat & salsa.

You can be creative and each one packs a nice protein punch on the go.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagirl116 View Post
On weekends I cook up a whole package of bacon and then split it up to use throughout the week. Celery sticks and flavored cream cheese is easy to transport, delicious and low carb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Cook a pound of sausage patties and some hardboiled eggs.
In the morning, mash together and toss a little butter on it and nuke gently to heat.

or leftover sliced chicken made into a sandwich with lettuce as a wrap.

tuna salad, just eat it with a spoon, or egg salad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I have made quiche muffins that are very easy to eat on the go. You can make a dozen mini quiches with 5 eggs and a cup of HWC. Then add cheese and fillings of your choice into each muffin well. I would make a variety from traditional with options like ham, sausage, bacon, or more creative like spinach & feta, Italian sausage & roasted red peppers, taco meat & salsa.

You can be creative and each one packs a nice protein punch on the go.
Thanks everyone! All great ideas! Trish--do you put the ingredients into the muffin cups, then pour the eggs over them? How long do they bake?

Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14~282/247/182
Start Date: One day at a time
I pour the batter about half way into a greased muffin tin. Then add fillings and cheese and then top again with a bit of batter and more cheese (to get a golden crust). Once done, the tin should be about 3/4 full to allow room for rising.

I do an oven of 350 for about 30 minutes, depending on your oven. Peek in on them and when they are puffed up and golden brown, they are good.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Hardboiled eggs make great quick breakfasts. You can make them the night before or in the morning, peel, and it takes about 2 mins to eat 5 hardboiled eggs.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiffany62590
Stats: 240/165/159
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2008 started Atkins, low carb on & off since
A cup of coffee with lots of cream and some nuts make a good quick breakfast for me Also really like all natural nitrate free beef franks...I enjoy them cold out of the fridge!
Tiffany62590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Here's one that I like. I make up a bunch ahead of time and then just heat up 2 for about 30 seconds in the micro and take them with me. I also like to sprinkle a bit of shredded parmesan on them before baking.
My other go-to breakfast is homemade bone broth with hwc. I don't drink coffee so this works well for me.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Inside Out Scotch Eggs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast & Brunch Breakfasts & Brunches
Low Carb Quick & Easy
Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 eggs
12 oz roll of ground sausage (breakfast or italian)
salt and pepper to taste
avocado to garnish (optional)

Yield: 12 inside out scotch eggs

Serving Size: 1
Divide your sausage into 12 one-ounce portions. Press each portion into a muffin tin, about 3/4 of the way up the sides to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Break one egg into each cup (separate out some of the white if you prefer mostly yolk like I do). Place your muffin tin on top of a cookie sheet to catch any grease from the cooking sausage. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 18 – 20 minutes for a runny yolk, 22 minutes for a hard yolk. Remove from muffin tins and sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with avocado slices and/or hot sauce.
Notes

Approx. nutrition info per serving: 168 calories, 13g fat, .25g net carbs, 12g protein

These are super simple to make, and keep well in the refrigerator – they even taste good cold. I served mine with a slice of avocado, and a sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. As a side point, if you’re all about the yolk like I am, you can partially separate your eggs and discard some of the whites, so that you have a higher ratio of yolk to white. It takes a couple of extra minutes, but for me it was worth the extra time. Make sure you use sugar free & gluten free breakfast or italian sausage, and this dish is also Whole 30 compliant. Enjoy!

Lately when I make things that call for a muffin tin, I use my trusty muffin TOP tin. This gives me a wider, flatter surface and I find it works better. I can’t wait to try it with this..sounds delicious.

These reheat great in the microwave for 30 seconds. Not sure about freezing them – it might make the eggs funny. I guess try it with one and see – hope you’ll report back on the experiment if you try it! Enjoy!

Description:
"This recipe is embarrassingly easy, but super delicious!"
Source:
i breathe im hungry blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
Here's one that I like. I make up a bunch ahead of time and then just heat up 2 for about 30 seconds in the micro and take them with me. I also like to sprinkle a bit of shredded parmesan on them before baking.
- - - -
I LOVE scotch eggs! These sound great--thank you!!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaC View Post
I LOVE scotch eggs! These sound great--thank you!!
You're welcome!
I was just reading the instructions again and I think that this part "Press each portion into a muffin tin, about 3/4 of the way up the sides to a thickness of about 1/2 inch." must be a typo. Or maybe I just do it differently. I press the sausage into each muffin cup so that it's quite thin - no where near 1/2 inch thick. If I don't, there wouldn't be enough room for the egg.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I agree, the Inside Out Scotch Eggs sound really good, and easier/less time consuming that wrapping the sausage around the hard boiled egg like a regular Scotch Egg recipe.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote