LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
People who say, "You can't have anything that tastes good."

I feel annoyed when people say this to me. They'll ask about what I eat and don't eat. After hearing that I don't eat sugar or grains, they say, "You can't have anything that tastes good." Have any of you heard this, too?

I realize it's probably just the way these individuals justify to themselves continuing to eat the way they do, but it's still annoying. I'm not challenging them or trying to convince them of anything. I merely answer their questions and get this response.

Sure, I'd love to eat brownies with everyone else but, for the sake of my health and my weight, I don't do it. That doesn't mean I never have anything that tastes good. (But I sure would love some brownies!)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
That porter house steak I am having for dinner looks pretty darn good. Not to mention my bacon burgers for breakfast.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I hear that. People act like bread and pasta are so good. I don't even miss them. I do love desserts, but I csn eldulge in the occasional low carb treat.

I may not eat everything I want, but everything I eat tastes good.
Ocean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I just realized that I should have responded, "I only eat things that taste good."

That would really stump them.

Maybe that would be a good signature line.
"I don't eat everything that tastes good, but I eat only things that taste good."

Even better, how about, "I don't eat everything that tastes good, but everything I eat tastes good."

Last edited by Emily-D; 06-21-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Emily-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
That porter house steak I am having for dinner looks pretty darn good. Not to mention my bacon burgers for breakfast.

I have experienced this too, but little do they realize I secretly pity them since they don't get to drown their veggies in butter, eat golden delicious crispy chicken skin, enjoy grilled Rib Eye with lots of marbling, slather their salads with creamy ranch dressing, or savor the flavor of full fat dairy.

But hey, if they want brownies and the gnawing sugar cravings that follow, I say whatever floats your boat!
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I heard this from a very distant acquaintance the other day. At first I just shrugged my shoulders and then later said, I don't agree with that. But, they kept hammering the point all through dinner and drinks which irritated me and she kept saying but you can't have that, it has carbs!(which isn't true since I do eat carbs, just not junk).
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I never talk to anyone about what I eat or don't eat, so it's never been a comment I would have heard.

If I'm offered something I don't eat, I simply say, "No thank you." I would never say, "I don't eat that."

It's sort of like discussing religion and politics, my food choices are not a topic I want to talk about with most people.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I think one of the fellow LC'ers said best in her signature:
"Nothing taste better than being skinnier and healthier"
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
That bunless Baconator just inhaled was AWESOME!!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post

I have experienced this too, but little do they realize I secretly pity them since they don't get to drown their veggies in butter, eat golden delicious crispy chicken skin, enjoy grilled Rib Eye with lots of marbling, slather their salads with creamy ranch dressing, or savor the flavor of full fat dairy.

But hey, if they want brownies and the gnawing sugar cravings that follow, I say whatever floats your boat!
I get the same pity feeling when I get that advice. I have also learned that non controlling people do not notice what I do on my plate. They stick to themselves. In not a few cases the admonishment to you is a feel good pat on the back for them. Sorry, I am simply not available for that position. How about this response then. Sorry, I am busy with my own life and not available for feel good comparisons for you.
Kind of like some alcoholic´s responses when being pitied : " I am so sorry that you feel I cannot enjoy your company without the need for mind altering substances. "

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
My response is usually something like this:

"I'll take the lemon caper BUTTER sauce on my veggies over your rice cake any day." ;o)
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
They clearly are not eating at my house! Tonights' dinner is grilled lamb chops with mint sauce and cucumber salad and 99% Lindt chocolate.... the whole bar is I want! It is trading up in my opinion!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
My response is usually something like this:

"I'll take the lemon caper BUTTER sauce on my veggies over your rice cake any day." ;o)
ditto!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I have to say no one has said that to me.

responses I get about cutting out junk and tons of bread etc. is 'I just couldn't do that!'

well, I didn't think I could do it either. but I did!! WEE

I eat brownies. NOT often. a few here and there. Any foods are not off my list to eat. But my discretion to eat anything is very high. I pass most things by every single day. Knowing I could easily woof them down but every now and then when I have something like a brownie, I plan it into the day. Everything I eat is planned. Nothing is willy nilly like the old me that could plow thru food like a train!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I feel annoyed when people say this to me. They'll ask about what I eat and don't eat. After hearing that I don't eat sugar or grains, they say, "You can't have anything that tastes good." Have any of you heard this, too?

I realize it's probably just the way these individuals justify to themselves continuing to eat the way they do, but it's still annoying. I'm not challenging them or trying to convince them of anything. I merely answer their questions and get this response.

Sure, I'd love to eat brownies with everyone else but, for the sake of my health and my weight, I don't do it. That doesn't mean I never have anything that tastes good. (But I sure would love some brownies!)
Yes, and I agree! But not 100%. Do I like real butter on my veggies, real cream in my coffee and cream cheese anything? Oh yeah. But honestly, if carbs weren't the devil I'd choose Oreos or cookies over a steak or bunless cheese hamburger any day. I've yet to make a OMM that tastes as good as carb-laden muffin.

I think their response is a perfectly normal reaction to anyone who eats differently and is a spin-off of the "anything fun is either immoral or illegal" saying. Heck, my husband is a vegetarian and I often kid him about not knowing what he's missing. Which he actually does as he became a vegetarian before we met. I have managed to get him to see that fats aren't bad (he was a low fat fanatic) and he now eats real butter. He still doesn't get not needing carbs to work out, but I'm trying to educate him! He did a test with eggs (he gives blood regularly) and he did see that eating the yokes, which he would toss out, made his cholesterol go down. There's hope for the dear man yet.

I've tried off and on over the years to eat low carb and wish I could make it a complete, total lifestyle like my husband has in his vegetarianism, or as many of you have here. I feel so much better eating low carb and am constantly reminding myself that my pancreas is loving me for letting it have a break.

I guess I look at it like things that taste good can be anything you'd have to give up so it's two-fold for me. Yeah, bacon is good, but so is a donut. To me. Likewise, when someone I know is shunning fats like crazy, I could easily say you are SO missing out!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #16

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
As far as not "being able" to eat anything "good", I have gotten a little bewilderment from my teenage nephew when I say "no thanks" to cake and desserts at family gatherings. He was more curious than anything else. "How can you live life without CAKE?" he said, very dramatically. "Life would not be worth living!" I just shrugged because he's a kid, and he didn't mean anything by it.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Yeah....the filet mignon fajitas I had last night with guacamole truly sucked, as did the eggs benedict with fresh hollandaise over spinach I made this morning...this way of eating is just awful, right?
marieze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
One word answer to that:

BUTTER!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #19

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I just realized that I should have responded, "I only eat things that taste good."

That would really stump them.

Maybe that would be a good signature line.
"I don't eat everything that tastes good, but I eat only things that taste good."

Even better, how about, "I don't eat everything that tastes good, but everything I eat tastes good."
This is a Good Very Good Point. I don't see the point of eating nasty or bland food no matter how good for me it is. and even if I eat something that is not "good for me" , that one treat was worth the taste for that one moment. doesn't mean I will eat it every day as a meal, but I like my food to taste good.

My BF read an article that claimed the way to not gain weight was to eat bland food because good tastes made the body crave more, and react to the carbs by storing fat. I though, I'd rather be a little more fat than never use salt and seasonings ever again.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Yes, and I agree! But not 100%. Do I like real butter on my veggies, real cream in my coffee and cream cheese anything? Oh yeah. But honestly, if carbs weren't the devil I'd choose Oreos or cookies over a steak or bunless cheese hamburger any day. I've yet to make a OMM that tastes as good as carb-laden muffin.

I guess I look at it like things that taste good can be anything you'd have to give up so it's two-fold for me. Yeah, bacon is good, but so is a donut. To me. Likewise, when someone I know is shunning fats like crazy, I could easily say you are SO missing out!
This is what I was thinking, exactly! I would never choose to eat this way if it was not healthy. When I make my salmon burgers I feel bummed when I look at the package and see the pic with the big crusty roll. Sigh... I love bacon... when it's on some yummy bread with mayo and tomato. But not so much on it's own. There are very few low carb foods that I would eat if I wasn't trying to lose weight and take care of myself. A hunk of butter and a hunk of cheese, ugh, but with some great bread, swoon!

And I don't quite see how its a slap in the face for someone to say they don't think you can eat anything that tastes good on your woe. After I lost 40 pounds (the first time) and had been working really hard at it and, I must admit, feeling fairly deprived, a low-fat-vegetarian friend asked me how I did it. When I told her, she laughed and said "wow, the perfect diet! all you eat is bacon and cheeseburgers! that must be fun!" OMG, whenever I think of that, it makes my blood boil! lol It was like saying that the months I spent eating only bacon and cheeseburgers (and that truly was all I ate) I wasn't doing a hard thing and it didn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
My BF read an article that claimed the way to not gain weight was to eat bland food because good tastes made the body crave more, and react to the carbs by storing fat. I though, I'd rather be a little more fat than never use salt and seasonings ever again.
I think there's probably a lot of truth in that. I don't go out of my way to make my food bland and I do cook things that are pretty yummy once in a while, but I kind of like for the majority of my food to be pretty boring bc if it is really tasty and satisfying, I'll start obsessing and overeating. I use salt and seasonings, but I do try to avoid foods that I tend to think about when I'm not hungry even if they're fine with my carb/calorie goals.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.

Last edited by rubidoux; 06-21-2013 at 06:20 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
All I have to say is a 2 inch thick ribeye medium rare - enough said
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Most people do not have any idea of the way we eat.....they think *meat* and that is all. Today I had a tuna sandwich on almond bread, salad and tonight I am having fried chicken breast topped with broccoli, bacon bits and cheese. I am not craving food but have normal hunger before a meal. I love the way I eat. I eat with 6 co-workers. I bring out all this food with high fat blue cheese dressing and they sit there eating granola in their low fat yogurt. I will throw part of my meal away because I am satisfied and they are licking every last piece of their WW frozen meal. Then they go to the cafeteria and buy a big cookie because their lunch was so low cal and then that is OK to them.

Last edited by rndiane; 06-21-2013 at 06:48 PM..
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm always slightly confused when someone doesn't enjoy low carb eating, especially maintenance levels. There are really very few folks who gain weight on under 50-ish grams of carbs per day (we see more here by the very nature of these boards ) and at those levels there are very few foods that can't be enjoyed in small quantities. Even grains and beans aren't necessarily off limits if one controls the serving size for their carb totals.

But I eat VLC most days and feel anything but deprived. I had ribeye with fried peppers and onions for lunch. I had smoked pork butt with dry barbecue rub for dinner. Every morning I indulge in an iced latte with HWC. At restaurants I can order the richest and tastiest entrees generally, and am in no way suffering for my food choices. Yeah, carbs are tasty. But there are plenty of legal foods that are tasty, too
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #24

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, who doesn't honestly want it all though? it's true that we have wonderful choices, and come to enjoy them more over time. I still could eat nothing but potatoes, fruit, cookies, etc., without a problem if they were healthy for me.

the biggest problems are not the lack of those things but the grind of having to prepare everything yourself. it does get old over the years!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
No one has ever said that to me. Mostly they say that what I am eating looks & smells great...followed by "but I couldn't eat that way..."

Anyone who suggests that I "can't" eat something is quickly corrected; I can eat anything I want to eat. I choose to eat only healthy foods. And I set the bar very high as to what qualifies as healthy food. I've discovered how I want to eat for life. I do not follow a specific diet plan (not Atkins or Paleo, etc) so that helps when talking to others. If one is following any marketed diet there are going to people telling you it is bad.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
yeah, who doesn't honestly want it all though? it's true that we have wonderful choices, and come to enjoy them more over time. I still could eat nothing but potatoes, fruit, cookies, etc., without a problem if they were healthy for me.

the biggest problems are not the lack of those things but the grind of having to prepare everything yourself. it does get old over the years!
I do not want it all. I really don't miss most unhealthy foods. I think dairy is the only unhealthy food I wish was good for me. I have it on occasion but it is a once in a while indulgence. I love the way I eat.

I do admit it would be easier if I had a personal chef... I don't like to cook! But i do.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #27

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I think a lot of "what tastes good" has a lot to do with the fact that someone else has made it already. If I took the time to make a low carb almond pound cake you can be sure it would taste good both to me and to the people who aren't low carb, and to that person the little debbie snack cake would also taste good, because they didn't have to make it. My BF tells me that my food tastes better to him when I make it than when he makes it the exact same way.

Convenience makes things taste better to a lot of people and losing that convenience is somehow unpalatable.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I think, with any diet, people tend to focus on what they can't have, rather than what they can.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I think, with any diet, people tend to focus on what they can't have, rather than what they can.
I agree. It is one big reason "diets" do not usually work and why long-term lifestyle changes are so important.

The diet mindset is to stick with it only until you lose weight.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #30

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I never talk to anyone about what I eat or don't eat, so it's never been a comment I would have heard.

If I'm offered something I don't eat, I simply say, "No thank you." I would never say, "I don't eat that."

It's sort of like discussing religion and politics, my food choices are not a topic I want to talk about with most people.
I totally agree!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote