Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Need more fiber (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806553-need-more-fiber.html)

piglet513 06-21-2013 04:17 AM

Need more fiber

I haven't been on Atkins very long this go around, but I've already noticed that I need more fiber! I know that flax seeds are a great low carb source of fiber, so I'm looking for recipes that any of you may love. Also, when a recipe calls for flax seed, is it assumed that you grind it first? I read somewhere that to get the benefit, you have to grind it. Any other ideas on how to get a high fiber snack in? I do eat my veggies, but I seem to need more.

cfine 06-21-2013 05:51 AM

I take a product called PGX. It's just fiber but it helps fill me up faster and keeps things moving. I take one before every meal and I can tell the difference when I don't take it.

Patience 06-21-2013 05:55 AM

When I use flax seeds I always soak them first. They absorb quite a bit of liquid.

lterry913 06-21-2013 07:37 AM

Why do you think you need more fiber...in my case it usually makes me bloated and constipated...more fiber can make this worse...just wondered why you thought you needed more? Just the curiosity killing the proverbial cat.

dmburk 06-21-2013 08:41 AM

Buy flaxseed meal, it's already ground. Very easy to use.

piglet513 06-21-2013 09:24 AM

I feel that I need more fiber because my digestive system has slooooooooooowwwwwed way down. :(

clackley 06-21-2013 09:34 AM

I suggest you try magnesium and or coconut oil. Go slow at first!

piglet513 06-21-2013 09:37 AM

Oh ok... I already have coconut oil, and I have heard people say that mixing it in coffee is divine, so I'll try that!

clackley 06-21-2013 09:46 AM

Oh good! Hope it goes well!!;)

cfine 06-21-2013 09:52 AM

Yes, I take the PGX more for the full feeling. I believe the CO probably has more do to do with going regularly but don't know for sure which one helps.

watcher513 06-21-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16480932)
Yes, I take the PGX more for the full feeling. I believe the CO probably has more do to do with going regularly but don't know for sure which one helps.

Or just bake something with glucommanan (konjac) in it since that is the G in PGX. Must less expensive for the powder too and Netrition has it.

SouthernBelle 06-21-2013 04:52 PM

When I started induction a little over 3 weeks ago, drinking more water helped with regularity. As a rule for me, distilled water seems to be most effective.

I eat milled flax seeds, ground flax seeds, and flax seed meal. I've seen some great looking flax seed recipes on this site but have yet to try any. I mainly use them in smoothies and as sprinkle topping for salads, meats, and some veggies. (I'm quite fond of the taste and texture.)

I also eat chia seeds. wheat germ, Joseph's pita bread, and mustard greens for fiber. (I like mustards and they have zero net carbs.)

I started with the coconut oil two Saturdays ago, but none of it really does anything for me unless I drink enough water.

SouthernBelle 06-21-2013 04:55 PM

Oh I forgot about avocado. It's high in fiber as well.

Mistizoom 06-21-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernBelle (Post 16481505)
When I started induction a little over 3 weeks ago, drinking more water helped with regularity. As a rule for me, distilled water seems to be most effective.

Please be cautious with distilled water. It has no minerals whatsoever in it and can possibly leach minerals from your teeth, amond other things. Pure water, from a chemical standpoint, is actually highly reactive. If you really feel it is best for you, you might want to add a pinch of unrefined sea salt to the glass to add back some of the minerals.

SouthernBelle 06-21-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16481533)
Please be cautious with distilled water. It has no minerals whatsoever in it and can possibly leach minerals from your teeth, amond other things. Pure water, from a chemical standpoint, is actually highly reactive. If you really feel it is best for you, you might want to add a pinch of unrefined sea salt to the glass to add back some of the minerals.

Thanks for your post Misti!

I know there is some controversy regarding its safety, but at a minimum, no one is really arguing that short term use (3 months or so) is dangerous. Still, I have never made it my sole source of water.

I do love the taste and find it less filling. Also in addition to leaching minerals, it also leaches bad things as well and moves them more quickly through my system (food poisoning, stool, fever, etc.).

Thanks again for bringing this up because I did not mean to imply that I drink it all the time.

piglet513 06-24-2013 08:47 AM

I'll have to try some of the flax recipes on the site. I've upped the water, and things seem to be going a bit better. Unfortunately, I can't eat avocado because I seem to have an intolerance for it. Which is a shame because I know they're really good for you in this type of diet. I've made a conscience effort to eat lots of greens for the fiber too.

locarbman 06-24-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piglet513 (Post 16480316)
I haven't been on Atkins very long this go around, but I've already noticed that I need more fiber! I know that flax seeds are a great low carb source of fiber, so I'm looking for recipes that any of you may love. Also, when a recipe calls for flax seed, is it assumed that you grind it first? I read somewhere that to get the benefit, you have to grind it. Any other ideas on how to get a high fiber snack in? I do eat my veggies, but I seem to need more.

Hi piglet,

I've been using FoodScience of Vermonts Clearly Fiber (available on-line). I like to add 1 teaspoonfull to my coffee and have been using it for several years now for my fiber supplement...works well for me! ;-)

From post #118 page 4 of this thread "Make your own liquid Splenda!".

"FoodScience of Vermont Clearly Fiber:

Supplement Facts:

Clearly Fiber™ a fiber supplement to support intestinal regularity, and maintenance of cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood sugar levels within normal ranges.*

Clearly Fiber™ is a sugar-free, low calorie, all natural fiber product from digestion-resistant Maltodextrin.

Clearly Fiber™is different from other fiber products: no grit, no lumps, no flavor. It dissolves clearly in any cold or hot drink. It won't change the texture, taste or color of your favorite soft food or beverage. Add Clearly Fiber™ to water, coffee, soda, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, pudding, mashed potatoes, juice, and even sauces or soups. The possibilities are endless.

Clearly Fiber™ is an excellent source of fiber as well as a natural way to support proper bowel function, cholesterol levels, and healthy intestinal microflora.*

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Teaspoons
Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 22*
Total Carbohydrate 5 g* 2%
Total Dietary Fiber 5 g* 20%
Soluble Fiber 5 g* *
Digestion Resistant Matodextrin (Fibersol-2 brand)
5.85 g* *

*Daily value not established.
Free Of Citrus, egg, gluten, milk, sodium, soy, wheat, yeast, added sugars, starches, synthetic dyes, artificial flavorings and preservatives.
Directions
As a dietary supplement, mix 2 teaspoons (5.85 g) in any hot or cold liquid or food, 1-3 times daily.
Warnings
If pregnant or nursing, consult your health care practitioner before taking this product.
Disclaimer
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

It would appear from above that the entire 5.85g (2 teaspoon serving) is Digestion Resistant Maltodextrin...will order some and 'check it out' ;-)

PS: Found it for ~$6.50, 176g (~6oz) 30-2 teaspoon servings"

Hope this helps, 0 net carbs!

locarbman... ;-)

piglet513 06-25-2013 05:16 AM

That stuff looks AWESOME! I love that you can just mix it in with anything. I think I'll have to try it out. Thanks locarbman!