Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Living to eat or eating to live and the LC journey.

One of the things that has been most beneficial for me on my LC woe, is that while I like these foods well enough to enjoy them, I don't LOVE them the way I LOVED carbs. Eating less is easier. And, more and more, I find myself eating to live as opposed to living to eat.

The LC journey is unique for all of us. For myself, I found in the beginning, like many, that I had no appetite, real or mind hunger. Then that changed, and while I have experienced virtually NO real hunger on this woe, the mind hunger started to show up.

At first, this was disconcerting to me. But I bulled it through and stuck to my guns w/my goal in mind. NOW, recently, I find that once again, the mind hunger is gone, and food is really just not that appealing to me. I know I must eat to stop my body from thinking it's in starvation mode. So I do, but it's an entirely different kind of eating than I used to do. It is not unpleasant at all, but, minus the carbs, it IS different.

AND, that I thought I'd left that place behind after my first two months. NOPE. It's right back to that all of a sudden. And who knows where it goes for me from here. I'll only find out if I hang in there.

Just wanted to say that the LC journey is surprising, and at 5 months in, it continues to change and evolve for me. So to all you who are a couple of weeks or a month or two in, hang on! You have only begun to know what this woe might do for you. I have only begun too.

But IF, this woe leads me to less need for the gratification of food, that will be a very good thing.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I so know what you mean. I don't force myself to eat but I do find that the lack of obsessiveness and compulsion is a really welcome relief. My relationship to food has changed substantially.

Most of the time, like many of us here, I eat pretty simply and I'm perfectly happy with that. But when the "mind hunger" hits --- and it does from time to time --- I cook something new. I realized somewhere along the line that my mind hunger was triggered by boredom and easily relieved if I made something I haven't had before or challenged myself with some kind of experimental baking.
Then I just spontaneously go back to the usual routine. It feels very natural.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
I so know what you mean. I don't force myself to eat but I do find that the lack of obsessiveness and compulsion is a really welcome relief. My relationship to food has changed substantially.

Most of the time, like many of us here, I eat pretty simply and I'm perfectly happy with that. But when the "mind hunger" hits --- and it does from time to time --- I cook something new. I realized somewhere along the line that my mind hunger was triggered by boredom and easily relieved if I made something I haven't had before or challenged myself with some kind of experimental baking.
Then I just spontaneously go back to the usual routine. It feels very natural.
Boredom is my enemy on this woe, and was last time I did it too.
I have made bigger efforts this time, to find substitutions and recipes the keep things jazzed up. But, recently, I don't feel the need for them. That could change tomorrow, as it has changed recently. Like I said, who knows where this will all lead.

But I agree totally that it is a great relief not to care so much about food.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Hmmm... I'm totally the opposite - I still love food, and cooking, and finding new recipes. I think about food a lot. Before low carbing, it was more a case of finding something, anything, to stop me feeling hungry, so I ended up eating a lot of low quality food like white bread sandwiches - in addition to cooking 'good' meals in the evening. Nowadays, because I'm much more in control of my hunger, I find I can easily cut out the bulk foods and concentrate on the really nice stuff. I'm more on the side of living to eat - but the things I eat are good for me. I can spend most of a day thinking about and planning my evening meal (my breakfasts are the same every day, and I don't eat lunch).

I'm not sure this is a bad thing - food is sort of a hobby for me, and I don't see anything wrong with that, so long as I make the right food choices for my health. I would feel diminished and deprived in a way if food ceased to be the pleasure it is. I love devising new ways with low carb foods - it's fun!

It is, I agree, liberating to be free from the need for food, but to no longer enjoy it to the extent I did before wouldn't make me happy, and in the long run would be likely to tempt me back to eating unhealthily. But that's just me, of course, not saying it's 'right' - it's just a personal preference.
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I love eating even more now cause I can really enjoy without the guilt!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
It is a different kind of eating. What I didn't like about my very low carb way was eliminating entire food groups. No way I was doing it thru my entire life

I graduated to moderate carb. I can put back in some foods that I love to eat. I don't want to go thru life ever saying I did not enjoy the food I eat. I think food and its enjoyment is very important.

I swing like you. some days I hang to very low carb but knowing I can up my carbs and eat some foods with a more moderate carb limit is all I needed to make this whole plan work for me.

everyone is so different. each and every single person has to plan their own foods on how they handle carbs, eating problems, and every thing else associated with losing the weight first and maintaining for life.

One thing I learned thru lower carb plans is that they key to it all for me is just get rid of the junk. the boxed foods. the fast foods. the high sugar crappola. the chemicals. Those I can live without 99% of the time. But I sure love a great beef roast with a pile of mashed potatoes and gravy on the side every now and then. (all made fresh by myself )

I really think the mind flips will just come and go. It happens to me also. I have accepted a TON of eating changes on lower carb. but at some point you will look around, see tons of foods out there, and want something

Everyone's mileage varies so much on how they handle getting down the carb scale and what foods they can add into their menus. trial and error for many to find what can be eaten and what should be avoided.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #7

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I would say that I eat for function and fuel about 80% of the time, and for social reasons or just plain enjoyment about 20% of the time. Those last two don't necessary overlap--social and enjoyment--because I'll go out for breakfast or dinner to spend quality time and have good conversation but I really don't care about the food I have; I can make a better omelet, or I can make a bunless burger and green beans, at home, so it's not some big special thing.

"Enjoyment" would mean eating something low-carb but relatively novel, like a nice steak, or Thai food (no rice), that I wouldn't or couldn't cook at home. Or it might also mean my higher-carb "occasional extras" like local fruit in the summer, sorbet, a little dark chocolate, some tortilla chips at a Mexican place, etc. Those higher-carb foods aren't part of my baseline day-to-day plan, but I will choose to have some, sometimes (on maintenance--didn't during weight loss). I guess they can really only be categorized as "recreational eating" because I can't say they're nutritious. They don't affect my weight as long as I'm mindful about it.

Quote:
Everyone's mileage varies so much on how they handle getting down the carb scale and what foods they can add into their menus. trial and error for many to find what can be eaten and what should be avoided.
That's what Atkins OWL is supposed to be--your experimentation phase. It can be intimidating for some people who are perfectly comfortable eating Induction-style, and really there's no reason anyone has to try to add more carbs. I still eat 20 grams or fewer more days of the week than not. But, it's nice to have figured out what works for me. I avoid higher-carb in combination with higher-fat. If I have something with more carbs as an occasional thing, I find that keeping it lower fat works better for me.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I would say I appreciate food more now. I have become so much more into food than before . The taste, smell , texture , preparation etc... LC is kind of obsessive for me in a way
. I think about food as fuel more than I have ever . Actually, I never was particularly "into"'food as I am now. Eating use to be functional- now it is "an experience"
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
Hmmm... I'm totally the opposite - I still love food, and cooking, and finding new recipes. I think about food a lot. Before low carbing, it was more a case of finding something, anything, to stop me feeling hungry, so I ended up eating a lot of low quality food like white bread sandwiches - in addition to cooking 'good' meals in the evening. Nowadays, because I'm much more in control of my hunger, I find I can easily cut out the bulk foods and concentrate on the really nice stuff. I'm more on the side of living to eat - but the things I eat are good for me. I can spend most of a day thinking about and planning my evening meal (my breakfasts are the same every day, and I don't eat lunch).

I'm not sure this is a bad thing - food is sort of a hobby for me, and I don't see anything wrong with that, so long as I make the right food choices for my health. I would feel diminished and deprived in a way if food ceased to be the pleasure it is. I love devising new ways with low carb foods - it's fun!

It is, I agree, liberating to be free from the need for food, but to no longer enjoy it to the extent I did before wouldn't make me happy, and in the long run would be likely to tempt me back to eating unhealthily. But that's just me, of course, not saying it's 'right' - it's just a personal preference.
Me too!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Do I miss Bread? Yes
Do I miss Pizza? Oh Yeah
McDonald's French Fries? Hell Yeah

But, at the end of the day, I felt like a slave of those foods and how they made me feel...
I am good with LC foods and how they made me feel.
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
That's what Atkins OWL is supposed to be--your experimentation phase. It can be intimidating for some people who are perfectly comfortable eating Induction-style, and really there's no reason anyone has to try to add more carbs. I still eat 20 grams or fewer more days of the week than not. But, it's nice to have figured out what works for me. I avoid higher-carb in combination with higher-fat. If I have something with more carbs as an occasional thing, I find that keeping it lower fat works better for me.
I agree. no one has to add more but if it will make or break your way of eating, experimenting is key to find what higher carbs you can handle back. for me I do eat higher carbs in losing phase and it is working well for me. but I sure agree about keeping fat lower when eating higher carby foods.
I absolutely gear towards lower carb levels, but there are days I want and plan in higher carb items and the scale is sure moving down.

again, I can't say enough, everyone has to make it work for themselves.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post

Totally understand. (I still remember those gorgeous pix you posted of the brunch you went to, I all but licked the screen LOL.) I've been a foodie all my life, and hubby is an excellent cook. We both love to try new things and eating out at new places when we travel is one of our fave things.

I'm not ever going to lose my love for food, but food has not always loved me back. I've never been a snacker, but portion control when I love something has always been a problem for me. And I love white food. So w/low carb foods it is a relief to me not to always want more. Now I often quit when my plate is still half full.

I too enjoy finding and trying a new LC recipe.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I don't live to eat anymore - but I do LOVE everything I eat and I enjoy every bite and have no guilt that it will make me fat like I used to feel when I did not eat low carb - I can enjoy a 16oz ribeye medium rare with no regrets - where as a medium pizza from pizza hut I would of eaten and have huge guilt because I know it would go straight to hips and butt and been hungry a half hour later and wonder why - well we all know why now - I can eat a lot more calories now and be satisfied for hours and be tiny - it's all good.
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
My ultimate goal is what you have described-I do NOT want to be a slave to food -its been hard.
LC and not LC, I have an addiction-but it was definitely a lot worse when I ate carbs in all my meals.
Still trying to fond my way, its been a struggle. I admire all of you who have overcome this obstacle. I believe this is the key to any woe-
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coffee
Stats: 315/258.2/199.999 as of 06-20-13
Start Date: I have started over & over & over again :(
I've been thinking about this post since I read it yesterday.
It really hit home with me.

I have Low Carbed on and off for over 10 +years, I lost weight at first but then just used it as a way of controlling my diabetes. But mostly been off lately. I started back last week (one week today, YAY!) really watching and counting. I love that feeling of no appetite and that food is not that appealing to me when I'm in ketosis. But I'm finding (and I've experienced this before without knowing how to describe it) that without that appeal/obsession for food, I don't know what to do with myself. Does that make sense?
This happens especially at night after I get home from work and after I have had my dinner. I'm lost. I used food to occupy myself. I need to retrain my brain.

THANKS for the post.

Starting over....
06-20-2013

New stats
06-20-13...315/258.2/199.999
06-27-13...315/252.8/199.999
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Find a new hobby! I found the same issue. My alone time used to be spent binge eating. But, after I went low carb, I did not know what to do in my free time. Now I have a baby, so I never have free time!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote