Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I was in the supermarket, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was walking down the condiment aisle, where my biggest nemesis is - Heinz Ketchup! I have been doing GREAT in not cheating. Not one single cheat, and today is the beginning of week 5. And then I saw all that ketchup..... and it hit me SO HARD that I wanted to go on a carbohydrate binge. It was freaky. All I could think about for a couple of minutes was having a HUGE sandwich! I actually had to battle myself not to give in.

In the end, I won the battle, but it was very scary to have that experience just by looking at ketchup. I miss ketchup more than just about anything. But I just know that if I go down that road, it is all over; I'm dead in the water. But what was really weird is that I have a 44 ounce bottle in the fridge, that my kids use, and it doesn't really bother me to see them use it.

I don't know why that happened, but I am glad that I was able to keep my act together.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
I know right? It is really freaky sometimes the things that set us off. But hey, fantastic job in not giving in - you rocked it!!
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I completely understand what you're saying. I can be doing totally fine, not even considering a cheat, not battling any cravings, and all of a sudden, out of the blue, it can come over me in some explained way and I've got a craving from he**. No idea why! Good for you for standing strong!!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
congrats on staying strong dude, it's not worth it.

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks back, was walking through town one day and just caught the smell of a local chippy! That was it, all I could think for the rest of the day is how good it would be, or a burger, or a sandwich, kebab, curry with rice and naan (you get the picture ) but I fought through it as it was just after I finally started losing decent numbers and was feeling motivated.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I firmly believe that visual input does titillate our minds. I mean, otherwise commercials and billboards and print ads wouldn't work as they do. Companies wouldn't spend so much money on marketing and packaging if the visual appeal didn't make a difference. So when I go to a conventional grocery store, I make a beeline for the few items I know I need and I don't let my eyes wander around to the displays and such. I don't go through departments I have no reason to be in.

There is just so much junk food and candy and chips and crap at conventional grocery stores; it's really excessive. Even though I am fully capable of walking through the bakery department or the candy aisle without "feeling tempted" in the immediate sense, I know that we are influenced by what we expose ourselves to. So I try to remove myself from bad influences.

It sounds like you learned something interesting and unexpected, Garlic.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
There is low sugar Heinz Ketchup and it's very good, so good that is all my ketchup crazy DH uses this now and not the regular anymore!! He says the regular ketchup is just too sweet now.

AND only 5 calories and 1 carb per 1 TBLS serving! No reason to do without, in my opinion!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
yup, the smell of fries used to do me in at the beginning. it's not quite so bad now. i can usually refrain from buying/eating them ... but it still triggers the "want" in me which i find very interesting because i was not a huge french fries eater before lowcarbing. go figure.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

Gallery: pocahontas
We buy the reduced sugar too!

Garlic - Sometimes just grocery shopping in general will set my cravings off. I stick to the outer aisles as much as possible!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
We buy the reduced sugar too!

Garlic - Sometimes just grocery shopping in general will set my cravings off. I stick to the outer aisles as much as possible!
If I stuck to the outer aisles at this store, I would be in huge trouble.... On the left is the bakery and Mexican / Burrito / Sushi stations. In the back is all meat, and on the right is the soda aisle..... YIKES!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
If I stuck to the outer aisles at this store, I would be in huge trouble.... On the left is the bakery and Mexican / Burrito / Sushi stations. In the back is all meat, and on the right is the soda aisle..... YIKES!
Garlic I hear you brother...
Going grocery shopping sometimes is a b****
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yesterday, I was hungry when I went grocery shopping--first mistake. I got what I needed to get, and then went through the McDonald's drive through to grab a bunless burger on my way home, since by now I was STARVING--second mistake (not the drive through, but letting myself get to that point). They made a mistake and added an order of fries to my bag! I swear, McDonald's fries are made with crack, they're so addictive. These were just made, and glistening with salt. They smelled wonderful.

Guess what happened?

I handed them back.

I was tempted to grab one, but I haven't eaten off plan since January, and a fry wasn't in my plan for the day, so I just handed them back.

It does get easier.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #12

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Mcdonalds fries are a party in your mouth. Pretty impressive to give them back.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I agree, you're my hero. McDonalds fries are like my kryptonite!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yeah, but my point was, I was only tempted for like a second. I knew they would taste good, but it wouldn't be worth for me.

Garlic, you'll have those moments every so often, but they'll lessen in intensity and duration over time.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
There is low sugar Heinz Ketchup and it's very good, so good that is all my ketchup crazy DH uses this now and not the regular anymore!! He says the regular ketchup is just too sweet now.

AND only 5 calories and 1 carb per 1 TBLS serving! No reason to do without, in my opinion!

Yes, Beeb! In fact, I liked Heinz reduced sugar ketchup better than the regular. It's more tangy and tomatoey. You go from 5 carbs to 1 carb per TBLS. w/this stuff. I was shocked when after being on this woe for a bit, I looked at the carbs in regular ketchup.

LOVE me some ketchup. And there I was, to begin with, eating bunless cheese burgers and using at least 2 TBS. of regular ketchup. 10 carbs!

The ONLY problem w/Heinz reduced sugar is that in my experience, they only sell it in small bottles and it's way more expensive. This irritates me. Why should we have to pay so much more for just to get the darn sugar out of our diets?!

But this is the way it is out there. America is not cognicent of the amt of hidden sugars they are eating, so the demand is low for reduced sugar in products like ketchup.

One can only hope that some day the grocery store labels will scream from every shelf "low carb!" the way they shout "low fat!" now, w/out telling anyone they've upped the sugar to replace the flavor of fat. Only then will we pay less for Heinz reduced sugar ketchup.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Yes, a very small bottle was $2.49..... about triple or quadruple the price per ounce of regular ketchup...
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Yes, a very small bottle was $2.49..... about triple or quadruple the price per ounce of regular ketchup...
Aggravating for sure, but so worth it imo. I am not giving up ketchup. And finding products that allow you what you love w/out the heavy carb count is imo, a HUGE part of this woe.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Aggravating for sure, but so worth it imo. I am not giving up ketchup. And finding products that allow you what you love w/out the heavy carb count is imo, a HUGE part of this woe.

I agree, but the issue with ketchup for me, is that I would still have too much of it, even if LC, or it would encourage me too eat way more protein than I want to.... maybe in 2 - 3 months, if / when I get 100% locked in on LC.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am not a ketchup fan. that wouldn't be my trigger LOL But I sure know what you mean about 'seeing' a food and it just make you think of eating tons of things.

I still use regular ketchup since I started lower carb. But I use it ONLY on a burger. never on anything else. my family goes thru ketchup like gangbusters, I might use 3-4 tablespoons a month.

I learned to eat before grocery shopping. it makes a huge difference.

Once I stopped in the cracker aisle to get kiddo some Goldfish. Usually I just pass and grab a bag and move on. I stopped and searched all those crackers. I am not a huge cracker fan but all of the sudden I wanted to try every flavor and box on the shelf. I got my butt in gear and kept moving fast
Old 06-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Trigger, I think I speak the truth when I say that in some months I was eating almost an entire 44 ounce bottle of ketchup. I even used to eat it on the costly cuts of steak. One of my favorite sandwiches, even though I don't really like butter, is a cheese sandwich with butter, ketchup, and Lebanon bologna..... But with so much ketchup that it would drip out of the sandwich.

Damn high fructose corn syrup!

Last edited by Garlic; 06-21-2013 at 05:30 AM..
Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
Potato chips do it for me. Kettle cooked lightly salted so the potato flavour comes out. Since I'm not as low carb as some of you, I do indulge occasionally, but I've found I have to buy a small bag since I eat the whole darn thing in a day regardless of the size of bag. I can resist or portion out just about everything else, but not potato chips. <sigh>
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Kudos to you Garlic for resisting the temptation. As cheesey as this may sound, keeping a Low Carb grocery list has helped me tremendously with the dreaded grocery shopping temptations. I sometimes think I'm on my own low carb version of "SuperMarket Sweep" Here's my low carb list lets see how fast you can get these items and these items alone. LOL I know, I'm weird. LOL
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Kudos to you Garlic for resisting the temptation. As cheesey as this may sound, keeping a Low Carb grocery list has helped me tremendously with the dreaded grocery shopping temptations. I sometimes think I'm on my own low carb version of "SuperMarket Sweep" Here's my low carb list lets see how fast you can get these items and these items alone. LOL I know, I'm weird. LOL

Yessir, That makes sense. But I shop for my wife and twin daughters, and that makes it harder. Heck, last night I made the spaghetti with meatballs, and garlic bread. I made the meatballs low carb by using almond flour instead of bread crumbs as the binder. I even made the marinara sauce and separated it... I made it all up, put a bit aside for me, and then took the rest and added the sugar for the sweetness they all like.

Eating dinner with them last night was pure torture.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I was once in a store and saw one of those huge 3 foot bags of popped popcorn. I had an urge to rip into the bag right there and eat the popcorn. It wasn't like it was really anything good or anything. Popcorn isn't even a weakness of mine.

I refrained because A. I would look really odd doing that, B. they would probably take me to grocery jail, and C. it wouldn't have been worth the carbs. It is weird how those urges hit us.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Trigger, I think I speak the truth when I say that in some months I was eating almost an entire 44 ounce bottle of ketchup. I even used to eat it on the costly cuts of steak. One of my favorite sandwiches, even though I don't really like butter, is a cheese sandwich with butter, ketchup, and Lebanon bologna..... But with so much ketchup that it would drip out of the sandwich.

Damn high fructose corn syrup!
WOW NOW THAT is a KETCHUP ADDICT for sure
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgar View Post
Potato chips do it for me. Kettle cooked lightly salted so the potato flavour comes out. Since I'm not as low carb as some of you, I do indulge occasionally, but I've found I have to buy a small bag since I eat the whole darn thing in a day regardless of the size of bag. I can resist or portion out just about everything else, but not potato chips. <sigh>
this is me to, but i love the kettle cooked parmesan/garlic, and i to have to buy the small bag, cuz i sure can eat most of the big bag in a sitting---been a potato chip lover since i was a kid--
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Since the bottled stuff is so expensive, maybe you could make your own. Check out Linda's recipe here:
BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Linda sue has a great ketchup recipe at her site. I made a double batch and put it in an old bottle. Tastes great.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I have made that exact recipe, but with sugar, a few years ago.... it's not really what I call ketchup. But it is better than paying crazy high prices for the Heinz, I guess.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Yes, Beeb! In fact, I liked Heinz reduced sugar ketchup better than the regular. It's more tangy and tomatoey. You go from 5 carbs to 1 carb per TBLS. w/this stuff. I was shocked when after being on this woe for a bit, I looked at the carbs in regular ketchup.

LOVE me some ketchup. And there I was, to begin with, eating bunless cheese burgers and using at least 2 TBS. of regular ketchup. 10 carbs!

The ONLY problem w/Heinz reduced sugar is that in my experience, they only sell it in small bottles and it's way more expensive. This irritates me. Why should we have to pay so much more for just to get the darn sugar out of our diets?!

But this is the way it is out there. America is not cognicent of the amt of hidden sugars they are eating, so the demand is low for reduced sugar in products like ketchup.

One can only hope that some day the grocery store labels will scream from every shelf "low carb!" the way they shout "low fat!" now, w/out telling anyone they've upped the sugar to replace the flavor of fat. Only then will we pay less for Heinz reduced sugar ketchup.
Amen and Amen!

And lately the Heinz reduced sugar is in a reduced size bottle. They went from 14 ounces to 12. Now I have to re-calculate my Low Carb Catalina recipe. I have a big batch recipe based on a 14-ounce bottle of ketchup. (grumble, grumble)
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote