Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I was in the supermarket, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806499-i-supermarket-hit-me-like-ton-bricks.html)

Garlic 06-20-2013 11:35 AM

I was in the supermarket, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was walking down the condiment aisle, where my biggest nemesis is - Heinz Ketchup! I have been doing GREAT in not cheating. Not one single cheat, and today is the beginning of week 5. And then I saw all that ketchup..... and it hit me SO HARD that I wanted to go on a carbohydrate binge. It was freaky. All I could think about for a couple of minutes was having a HUGE sandwich! I actually had to battle myself not to give in.

In the end, I won the battle, but it was very scary to have that experience just by looking at ketchup. I miss ketchup more than just about anything. But I just know that if I go down that road, it is all over; I'm dead in the water. But what was really weird is that I have a 44 ounce bottle in the fridge, that my kids use, and it doesn't really bother me to see them use it.

I don't know why that happened, but I am glad that I was able to keep my act together.

nera 06-20-2013 11:38 AM

I know right? It is really freaky sometimes the things that set us off. But hey, fantastic job in not giving in - you rocked it!!

MtherGoos 06-20-2013 12:10 PM

I completely understand what you're saying. I can be doing totally fine, not even considering a cheat, not battling any cravings, and all of a sudden, out of the blue, it can come over me in some explained way and I've got a craving from he**. No idea why! Good for you for standing strong!!

84k 06-20-2013 12:20 PM

congrats on staying strong dude, it's not worth it.

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks back, was walking through town one day and just caught the smell of a local chippy! That was it, all I could think for the rest of the day is how good it would be, or a burger, or a sandwich, kebab, curry with rice and naan (you get the picture :laugh:) but I fought through it as it was just after I finally started losing decent numbers and was feeling motivated.

peanutte 06-20-2013 12:23 PM

I firmly believe that visual input does titillate our minds. I mean, otherwise commercials and billboards and print ads wouldn't work as they do. Companies wouldn't spend so much money on marketing and packaging if the visual appeal didn't make a difference. So when I go to a conventional grocery store, I make a beeline for the few items I know I need and I don't let my eyes wander around to the displays and such. I don't go through departments I have no reason to be in.

There is just so much junk food and candy and chips and crap at conventional grocery stores; it's really excessive. Even though I am fully capable of walking through the bakery department or the candy aisle without "feeling tempted" in the immediate sense, I know that we are influenced by what we expose ourselves to. So I try to remove myself from bad influences.

It sounds like you learned something interesting and unexpected, Garlic.

Beeb 06-20-2013 12:37 PM

There is low sugar Heinz Ketchup and it's very good, so good that is all my ketchup crazy DH uses this now and not the regular anymore!! He says the regular ketchup is just too sweet now.

AND only 5 calories and 1 carb per 1 TBLS serving! No reason to do without, in my opinion! :)

margame 06-20-2013 12:38 PM

yup, the smell of fries used to do me in at the beginning. it's not quite so bad now. i can usually refrain from buying/eating them ... but it still triggers the "want" in me which i find very interesting because i was not a huge french fries eater before lowcarbing. go figure.

pocahontas 06-20-2013 02:03 PM

We buy the reduced sugar too!

Garlic - Sometimes just grocery shopping in general will set my cravings off. I stick to the outer aisles as much as possible!

Garlic 06-20-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16479602)
We buy the reduced sugar too!

Garlic - Sometimes just grocery shopping in general will set my cravings off. I stick to the outer aisles as much as possible!

If I stuck to the outer aisles at this store, I would be in huge trouble.... On the left is the bakery and Mexican / Burrito / Sushi stations. In the back is all meat, and on the right is the soda aisle..... YIKES! :D

thatphdguy 06-20-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16479687)
If I stuck to the outer aisles at this store, I would be in huge trouble.... On the left is the bakery and Mexican / Burrito / Sushi stations. In the back is all meat, and on the right is the soda aisle..... YIKES! :D

Garlic I hear you brother...
Going grocery shopping sometimes is a b****

Ntombi 06-20-2013 04:52 PM

Yesterday, I was hungry when I went grocery shopping--first mistake. I got what I needed to get, and then went through the McDonald's drive through to grab a bunless burger on my way home, since by now I was STARVING--second mistake (not the drive through, but letting myself get to that point). They made a mistake and added an order of fries to my bag! :eek: I swear, McDonald's fries are made with crack, they're so addictive. These were just made, and glistening with salt. They smelled wonderful.

Guess what happened?

I handed them back.

I was tempted to grab one, but I haven't eaten off plan since January, and a fry wasn't in my plan for the day, so I just handed them back.

It does get easier. :)

suzanneyea 06-20-2013 05:04 PM

Mcdonalds fries are a party in your mouth. Pretty impressive to give them back.

MtherGoos 06-20-2013 05:15 PM

I agree, you're my hero. McDonalds fries are like my kryptonite!

Ntombi 06-20-2013 05:19 PM

Yeah, but my point was, I was only tempted for like a second. I knew they would taste good, but it wouldn't be worth for me.

Garlic, you'll have those moments every so often, but they'll lessen in intensity and duration over time.

Blue Skies 06-20-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16479468)
There is low sugar Heinz Ketchup and it's very good, so good that is all my ketchup crazy DH uses this now and not the regular anymore!! He says the regular ketchup is just too sweet now.

AND only 5 calories and 1 carb per 1 TBLS serving! No reason to do without, in my opinion! :)

Yes, Beeb! In fact, I liked Heinz reduced sugar ketchup better than the regular. It's more tangy and tomatoey. You go from 5 carbs to 1 carb per TBLS. w/this stuff. I was shocked when after being on this woe for a bit, I looked at the carbs in regular ketchup.

LOVE me some ketchup. And there I was, to begin with, eating bunless cheese burgers and using at least 2 TBS. of regular ketchup. 10 carbs!

The ONLY problem w/Heinz reduced sugar is that in my experience, they only sell it in small bottles and it's way more expensive. This irritates me. :mad: Why should we have to pay so much more for just to get the darn sugar out of our diets?!

But this is the way it is out there. America is not cognicent of the amt of hidden sugars they are eating, so the demand is low for reduced sugar in products like ketchup.

One can only hope that some day the grocery store labels will scream from every shelf "low carb!" the way they shout "low fat!" now, w/out telling anyone they've upped the sugar to replace the flavor of fat. Only then will we pay less for Heinz reduced sugar ketchup.

Garlic 06-20-2013 07:18 PM

Yes, a very small bottle was $2.49..... about triple or quadruple the price per ounce of regular ketchup...

Blue Skies 06-20-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16480052)
Yes, a very small bottle was $2.49..... about triple or quadruple the price per ounce of regular ketchup...

Aggravating for sure, but so worth it imo. I am not giving up ketchup. And finding products that allow you what you love w/out the heavy carb count is imo, a HUGE part of this woe.

Garlic 06-20-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16480080)
Aggravating for sure, but so worth it imo. I am not giving up ketchup. And finding products that allow you what you love w/out the heavy carb count is imo, a HUGE part of this woe.

I agree, but the issue with ketchup for me, is that I would still have too much of it, even if LC, or it would encourage me too eat way more protein than I want to.... maybe in 2 - 3 months, if / when I get 100% locked in on LC.

Trigger828 06-21-2013 04:11 AM

I am not a ketchup fan. that wouldn't be my trigger LOL But I sure know what you mean about 'seeing' a food and it just make you think of eating tons of things.

I still use regular ketchup since I started lower carb. But I use it ONLY on a burger. never on anything else. my family goes thru ketchup like gangbusters, I might use 3-4 tablespoons a month.

I learned to eat before grocery shopping. it makes a huge difference.

Once I stopped in the cracker aisle to get kiddo some Goldfish. Usually I just pass and grab a bag and move on. I stopped and searched all those crackers. I am not a huge cracker fan but all of the sudden I wanted to try every flavor and box on the shelf. I got my butt in gear and kept moving fast :)

Garlic 06-21-2013 04:28 AM

Trigger, I think I speak the truth when I say that in some months I was eating almost an entire 44 ounce bottle of ketchup. I even used to eat it on the costly cuts of steak. One of my favorite sandwiches, even though I don't really like butter, is a cheese sandwich with butter, ketchup, and Lebanon bologna..... But with so much ketchup that it would drip out of the sandwich.

Damn high fructose corn syrup! :hyst:

Elgar 06-21-2013 04:46 AM

Potato chips do it for me. Kettle cooked lightly salted so the potato flavour comes out. Since I'm not as low carb as some of you, I do indulge occasionally, but I've found I have to buy a small bag since I eat the whole darn thing in a day regardless of the size of bag. I can resist or portion out just about everything else, but not potato chips. <sigh>

NewestAtkinsFan 06-21-2013 05:10 AM

Kudos to you Garlic for resisting the temptation. As cheesey as this may sound, keeping a Low Carb grocery list has helped me tremendously with the dreaded grocery shopping temptations. I sometimes think I'm on my own low carb version of "SuperMarket Sweep" Here's my low carb list lets see how fast you can get these items and these items alone. LOL I know, I'm weird. LOL :hyst:

Garlic 06-21-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan (Post 16480377)
Kudos to you Garlic for resisting the temptation. As cheesey as this may sound, keeping a Low Carb grocery list has helped me tremendously with the dreaded grocery shopping temptations. I sometimes think I'm on my own low carb version of "SuperMarket Sweep" Here's my low carb list lets see how fast you can get these items and these items alone. LOL I know, I'm weird. LOL :hyst:

Yessir, That makes sense. But I shop for my wife and twin daughters, and that makes it harder. Heck, last night I made the spaghetti with meatballs, and garlic bread. I made the meatballs low carb by using almond flour instead of bread crumbs as the binder. I even made the marinara sauce and separated it... I made it all up, put a bit aside for me, and then took the rest and added the sugar for the sweetness they all like.

Eating dinner with them last night was pure torture.

Ocean 06-21-2013 08:20 AM

I was once in a store and saw one of those huge 3 foot bags of popped popcorn. I had an urge to rip into the bag right there and eat the popcorn. :lol: It wasn't like it was really anything good or anything. Popcorn isn't even a weakness of mine.

I refrained because A. I would look really odd doing that, B. they would probably take me to grocery jail, and C. it wouldn't have been worth the carbs. It is weird how those urges hit us.

Trigger828 06-21-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16480326)
Trigger, I think I speak the truth when I say that in some months I was eating almost an entire 44 ounce bottle of ketchup. I even used to eat it on the costly cuts of steak. One of my favorite sandwiches, even though I don't really like butter, is a cheese sandwich with butter, ketchup, and Lebanon bologna..... But with so much ketchup that it would drip out of the sandwich.

Damn high fructose corn syrup! :hyst:

WOW :eek: NOW THAT is a KETCHUP ADDICT for sure :hyst:

Sunny7 06-21-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elgar (Post 16480346)
Potato chips do it for me. Kettle cooked lightly salted so the potato flavour comes out. Since I'm not as low carb as some of you, I do indulge occasionally, but I've found I have to buy a small bag since I eat the whole darn thing in a day regardless of the size of bag. I can resist or portion out just about everything else, but not potato chips. <sigh>

this is me to, but i love the kettle cooked parmesan/garlic, and i to have to buy the small bag, cuz i sure can eat most of the big bag in a sitting---been a potato chip lover since i was a kid--

theredhead 06-21-2013 07:14 PM

Since the bottled stuff is so expensive, maybe you could make your own. Check out Linda's recipe here:
BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Heheher 06-21-2013 08:36 PM

Linda sue has a great ketchup recipe at her site. I made a double batch and put it in an old bottle. Tastes great.

Garlic 06-21-2013 09:17 PM

I have made that exact recipe, but with sugar, a few years ago.... it's not really what I call ketchup. But it is better than paying crazy high prices for the Heinz, I guess.

Purple Crayon 06-23-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16479980)
Yes, Beeb! In fact, I liked Heinz reduced sugar ketchup better than the regular. It's more tangy and tomatoey. You go from 5 carbs to 1 carb per TBLS. w/this stuff. I was shocked when after being on this woe for a bit, I looked at the carbs in regular ketchup.

LOVE me some ketchup. And there I was, to begin with, eating bunless cheese burgers and using at least 2 TBS. of regular ketchup. 10 carbs!

The ONLY problem w/Heinz reduced sugar is that in my experience, they only sell it in small bottles and it's way more expensive. This irritates me. :mad: Why should we have to pay so much more for just to get the darn sugar out of our diets?!

But this is the way it is out there. America is not cognicent of the amt of hidden sugars they are eating, so the demand is low for reduced sugar in products like ketchup.

One can only hope that some day the grocery store labels will scream from every shelf "low carb!" the way they shout "low fat!" now, w/out telling anyone they've upped the sugar to replace the flavor of fat. Only then will we pay less for Heinz reduced sugar ketchup.

Amen and Amen!

And lately the Heinz reduced sugar is in a reduced size bottle. They went from 14 ounces to 12. Now I have to re-calculate my Low Carb Catalina recipe. I have a big batch recipe based on a 14-ounce bottle of ketchup. (grumble, grumble)