LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
I want toast!

OMG I've never had a craving quite like this. I don't know why, I'm at work right now, enjoying coffee, no smell of toast in the office. But I would LOVE a piece slathered in butter!

Any good tips on getting rid of this craving, other than finding me some bread!!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Eat a dill pickle! LOL
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
For me, a few hard boiled eggs kill cravings.
Yesterday we were at mcdonalds. I took the bun of my sons burger. A nasty old mcdonalds bun, but it looked so yummy to me!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
have a piece of toast!

I am a moderate carber. I would just eat the toast. BUT if you are very low carb, scared it might trigger you or something---then just work thru it. Start thinking of LC foods you love. Eat that slathered in butter. Going down the scale I had tons of times a food popped into my head that I would kill to get my hands on and eat. I just powered thru. But even now being a moderate carber, I have to still have big time control and food limits.

Most times when any cravings hit, if I am in the house, where I can get into the kitchen, I go outside, or get in the car and run and errand etc. I literally avoid the situation best I can. Or grab LC foods instead.

It is hard when those cravings hit hard!! Hang in there!!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
No toast,sorry . It is buttered sugar . Talking about butter how about a coffee or tea with a smidgeon of fat (CCO) included.That might scare the craving away.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
There's an almond butter bread recipe posted in the recipes section that tastes great and makes wonderful toast. I'm getting ready to eat a piece.
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I think the best thing to do when you have those really clear thoughts about a particular food is to force your thoughts elsewhere, as far away from food as possible, and physically do something to get busy. Dwelling on the tastes, smells and textures of your fantasy food is just making it all more vivid and enticing--which makes it harder to resist.

And I don't think eating something else instead is a particularly good idea, because whatever it is, it's not what your mind and mouth were desiring, so it can backfire and make you feel annoyed and petulant that it isn't what you wanted.

I'm sure most of us have experienced a sudden craving that came out of nowhere. They can be surprisingly powerful, but we have tools with which to fight them off. When you feel a sudden craving come over you--and you know it's nothing you need to be wasting your time struggling with--picture a big red stop sign in your head. Tell your craving to shut up and buzz off. Then immediately find something completely different to read about, do, talk about, or look at. Instead of starting a thread about your craving, maybe read some threads about non-scale victories or getting rid of clothing that you don't need any more, or a thread where someone is celebrating her first year on-plan--or anything besides food and cravings. Physical things you can do: do twenty jumping jacks if you're at home, or get up from your desk and take a quick lap around your office hallways. Wash a few dishes, empty some household wastepaper bins and take them out. Mental distractions: try to remember the names of all the pets you've ever known, or try to remember what your favorite record albums were in a certain year of high school. Try to recite the lyrics to a song you used to know. Anything to change your focus and stop daydreaming about whatever that food is.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
Do everything in your power to not give in, use the suggestions by the other people above. But in the end if you ever do need to give into the craving, just make a smart choice. Use something like this: Oroweat® Premium Breads | Light Bread
11 net carbs for 2 slices, so 5.5 carbs per slice. You might trigger carb cravings though so only use it in the most dire of circumstances.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
It's just food, don't let it control you or take up too much room in your thoughts. Do you want to get to goal and be thin and healthy or eat toast? Do you want to be up tomorrow on the scale because of that toast? I find that thinking of the consequences tends to kill cravings.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I had the weirdest dream today. I was eating french bread, salami and provolone cheese...Then, all the sudden I realized that I was doing low carb and that it was wrong what I was doing...I felt so sad LOL
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
"Will that piece of toast help me on my path to weight loss?"

Play the mind game. "Will that piece of toast hinder or help my path to weight loss?"
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Eat something fatty like cheese or even the butter. Sometimes I think I want a cigarette but it passes and I have yet to be sorry I didn't have one when I wanted (I quit 1.5 yrs. ago). On the same note, I have never regretted what I did not eat and only what I did.

Last edited by clackley; 06-20-2013 at 09:50 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Observations of my body in reaction to foods.
A rice cake a probably a good replacement for the toast. You mentioned a craving, so maybe a low key snack can help. I eat a small portion of sunflower seeds; they are very filling.
blueberry-pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmy View Post
Do everything in your power to not give in, use the suggestions by the other people above. But in the end if you ever do need to give into the craving, just make a smart choice. Use something like this: Oroweat® Premium Breads | Light Bread
11 net carbs for 2 slices, so 5.5 carbs per slice. You might trigger carb cravings though so only use it in the most dire of circumstances.
good post.
it shows there are options out there. It isn't that you can't ever have a piece of bread in your entire life again, but smart choices are out there.

(of course if you never, ever want to eat a piece of bread in your entire life, then just don't )
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Observations of my body in reaction to foods.
Flax, whole-grain pita bread. Always a good replacement.
blueberry-pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
The craving passed. I think it was the crunch of the toast that I wanted most. But I'm over it. Thankf for the ideas for the future!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
Good job for getting past it without giving in!! Pat on the back!
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
The craving passed. I think it was the crunch of the toast that I wanted most. But I'm over it. Thankf for the ideas for the future!
Quite. It hit me the same way at some point where I wanted something with a bite resistance to it,something just like bread . Well done for getting over the hurdle.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/159.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Good job for not giving in!!

When I really really really want something that is off plan, I stop and think about how I'm going to feel tomorrow morning when I get up to weigh in and I'm going to have to face the scale, or how I'm going to feel an hour after I eat it and I'm consumed with guilt. For me, that deters me.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
THE CRUNCH!!!! oh yea. I know that one. My mind used to want potatoe chips, pretzels etc. for that crunch. It is a texture, chew feeling I love.
along with the salt

you did well! work thru the cravings best you can
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I hear ya about the toast.
Having been strict lc for awhile now, cake and cookies etc are not the temptation.
But bread in one form or another can tempt me.
Yesterday while shopping with dw, we went to the food court in the mall.
I got a Gyro. It was delicious and of course I skipped the pita bread, but as I was finishing up and saw the sauce soaked pita, the little carb devil inside me started to whisper...
"Just taste it" he said....."a little bite won't kill you" he said.
It wasn't the fear of weight gain or cravings that got me to throw it away.
It was my memory of knee pain brought on by gluten/inflammation that won the day.
Thank you Dr. Davis for showing me the way to freedom from joint pain.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I hear ya about the toast.
Having been strict lc for awhile now, cake and cookies etc are not the temptation.
But bread in one form or another can tempt me.
Yesterday while shopping with dw, we went to the food court in the mall.
I got a Gyro. It was delicious and of course I skipped the pita bread, but as I was finishing up and saw the sauce soaked pita, the little carb devil inside me started to whisper...
"Just taste it" he said....."a little bite won't kill you" he said.
It wasn't the fear of weight gain or cravings that got me to throw it away.
It was my memory of knee pain brought on by gluten/inflammation that won the day.
Thank you Dr. Davis for showing me the way to freedom from joint pain.
There's a place near me called The Kebob Shop, and gyro meat is one of my favorite things to eat in life. Luckily they have a "Box" you can get which is a gyro without the pita in a box with vegetables and either fries or rice. I asked them for it, but no rice or fries, and they said "we'll toss in a bunch of extra vegetables instead! It was amazing. Gyro meat, and lots of lettuce, cucumber, onion, and the like... so good.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
There's a place near me called The Kebob Shop, and gyro meat is one of my favorite things to eat in life. Luckily they have a "Box" you can get which is a gyro without the pita in a box with vegetables and either fries or rice. I asked them for it, but no rice or fries, and they said "we'll toss in a bunch of extra vegetables instead! It was amazing. Gyro meat, and lots of lettuce, cucumber, onion, and the like... so good.
Is this the one downtown, like around 9th? If so, we used to go there a lot pre-LC/gluten free. DH would probably especially love to get one of those boxes.

Avid, I kinda wish that I had something like the joint pain to keep me in line. My blood sugar will be less stable if I eat carbs, but there's no immediate negative as far as how I feel. If I could pay for my carb transgressions as they happened that would be a much better deal.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Avid, I kinda wish that I had something like the joint pain to keep me in line. My blood sugar will be less stable if I eat carbs, but there's no immediate negative as far as how I feel. If I could pay for my carb transgressions as they happened that would be a much better deal.
LOL...I wouldn't wish for chronic pain under any circumstances. But i understand those times when temptation strikes and we have to search for an alternative.
My dw had a knee replacement and wow....talk about pain. It was nearly a year ago and much functioning has been restored, but going through it with her was enough to convince me I never want to go that route. The thing with the gluten that was amazing was how fast the joint pain went away once I stopped eating grains.
I went from daily pain to none in about a week. Incredible.
So that's where I go when the breads start talking to me.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Is this the one downtown, like around 9th? If so, we used to go there a lot pre-LC/gluten free. DH would probably especially love to get one of those boxes.

Nope, new one just built in mission valley across from the mall where Maggie Moo's creamery used to be (next to panda express).
Old 06-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
LOL...I wouldn't wish for chronic pain under any circumstances. But i understand those times when temptation strikes and we have to search for an alternative.
My dw had a knee replacement and wow....talk about pain. It was nearly a year ago and much functioning has been restored, but going through it with her was enough to convince me I never want to go that route. The thing with the gluten that was amazing was how fast the joint pain went away once I stopped eating grains.
I went from daily pain to none in about a week. Incredible.
So that's where I go when the breads start talking to me.
Yes, knee replacement sounds scary. I hope her new one is working well and pain-free. I'm wondering now if I could get my mom to try gluten free. She has some back pain that's really limiting her. It would be cool if she could get past that. She's deathly afraid of surgery and will suffer with almost any amount of pain rather than get it fixed. Maybe if I tell her that she might feel a difference that quick, she'd be convinced. And it'd be healthier for her all the way around.

Quote:
Nope, new one just built in mission valley across from the mall where Maggie Moo's creamery used to be (next to panda express).
I think the one downtown is called The Kabob Stop. I'll have to keep The Kabob Shop in mind for when I'm in that neck of the woods.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote